Did that thread about a woman's atlas get deleted?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 05:34:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did that thread about a woman's atlas get deleted?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Did that thread about a woman's atlas get deleted?  (Read 14065 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2012, 06:45:04 PM »

Would anyone mind if I euthanized this terrible, terrible thread?

I would, as I see no reason for such drastic action.  Just leave it alone.  I am enjoying the discussions here. 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2012, 07:08:22 PM by politicus »

Deleting threads with any substance (good or bad) is generally a bad idea since it is a form of censorship and this one is even kinda interesting Wink. But it might be time to lock it.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »

Why?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: December 14, 2012, 09:14:19 PM »

I see no need to lock it though I do think it has played itself out. Everybody knows exactly how everybody else feels and more than a few posters have told other posters exactly what they think of each other. It's not like anybody comes here to be convinced. Same as it ever was.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #104 on: December 14, 2012, 09:44:11 PM »

Memphis, I hate ad hominem attacks and I apologize for saying that thing about nonsense, but the whole "the elephant in the room" argumentation is a bit absurd in my opinion. I'm sorry. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not trying to tell you how you must think nor trying to limit your freedom of speech. A good reason for locking this thread is that any further discussion would be a road to nowhere. 
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »

I'm not in favor of deleting or locking this thread but after all this I'm tired of debating this issue so I'd say lets just agree to drop it for now.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2012, 10:25:34 PM »

Isn't it a nonsense arguing that "all differences are biological" as well? The biological determinism can be as boring as the fundamentalism concerning gender theories. I can hardly enjoy arguments between fundamentalists in general. Don't you realize that probably biological and societal factors interact in a way that is probably very complex and out of the scope of an internet forum? And all of this because someone asked why are so few women here. If I were one, I'd be laughing or I would go out running. I think this is a terrible thread with some good replies to Memphis' nonsense. I won't be sad if someone deletes or locks it.

I am not arguing that. I was the first one who mentioned there is likely an interplay of biological and social reasons for the gender split here.

Also, I'm not locking this.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »

That comment wasn't about you. If you want a little opinion of mine, since some scientists think that the evolution of the mankind has stopped -I mean in a strictly Darwinian or biological sense- due to the fact that we have developed a culture, I tend to think -simplifying up to the end- that the cultural and social factors weigh more than the biological substratum, but I don't deny the existence of the latter.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2012, 12:58:30 AM »

I think this thread has played itself out, hence euthanasia is unnecessary, but if this flares up again...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2012, 01:00:30 AM »

Come on, man... even I admit when I'm wrong.  Post the words... how can you say that the mods are excessive in their actions and unaccountable when you want to be held to a higher standard?  You're acting as if you're a king, opebo.  But you are merely the king of hypocrites if you refuse to apologize and admit your wrong.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2012, 01:01:24 AM »

Would anyone mind if I euthanized this terrible, terrible thread?

This thread needs to remain open until opebo admits his wrong and apologizes.... I'm tired of his crap.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2012, 02:17:11 AM »

Yeah, Opebo should apologize.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2012, 06:15:16 AM »

Not going to happen.  Cartoon characters don't change.  At least not until new writers come on board and I've seen no hint of that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »

Opebo, please just apologize. Inks' signature causes my eyes to burn Sad
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »

I like it -- it serves as a reminder of Mr Inks's blatant hypocrisy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »

Come on, man... even I admit when I'm wrong.  Post the words... how can you say that the mods are excessive in their actions and unaccountable when you want to be held to a higher standard?  You're acting as if you're a king, opebo.  But you are merely the king of hypocrites if you refuse to apologize and admit your wrong.

But my being wrong doesn't make you accountable, Inks.  What makes you accountable?  Just because y'all may be benevolent doesn't change the fact that this is only a fortuitious whim, given that we have no recourse.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2012, 01:05:40 AM »

I like it -- it serves as a reminder of Mr Inks's blatant hypocrisy.

My hypocrisy?  I've admitted when I was wrong.  I was wrong in locking the Deluge thread, thinking that Dave would have wanted it locked, and I am sorry that I made a bad assumption about what Dave wanted.  I assure you, there's no hypocrisy coming from me here.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »

But my being wrong doesn't make you accountable, Inks.  What makes you accountable?  Just because y'all may be benevolent doesn't change the fact that this is only a fortuitious whim, given that we have no recourse.

But if you refuse to acknowledge that you're wrong, why should the mods do it?  If the posters don't do it, should the mods also refuse to admit their wrongs?  Should we just bar appeals for all circumstances?  If that's the standard you think you should be held to, I'll honor your wish... but I'm guessing that's not what you actually want.  It's funny that you want the ability to appeal infracted posts, yet you think you're above apologizing.  I've granted more appeals than I've ever seen you apologize.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »

But if you refuse to acknowledge that you're wrong, why should the mods do it?  If the posters don't do it, should the mods also refuse to admit their wrongs?  Should we just bar appeals for all circumstances?  If that's the standard you think you should be held to, I'll honor your wish... but I'm guessing that's not what you actually want.  It's funny that you want the ability to appeal infracted posts, yet you think you're above apologizing.  I've granted more appeals than I've ever seen you apologize.

I'm below apologizing, Inks.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »

I'm below apologizing, Inks.

Haha... and now you're trying to spin it the other way.  Explain to me how you are below apologizing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2012, 07:06:48 AM »

Haha... and now you're trying to spin it the other way.  Explain to me how you are below apologizing.

No power.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2012, 07:10:39 AM »

No power.

You hurt the image of the mods by making a false claim.  If you apologize, you have the power to make that harm less harmful.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »

And if you truly have no power, and you believe that actions should be based on power, does that allow me to start infracting you at 10 points just because I have the "power"?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »

You hurt the image of the mods by making a false claim.  If you apologize, you have the power to make that harm less harmful.

Good point -- Mr Inks does that enough himself, and he doesn't appreciate his territory being encroached upon.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2012, 09:19:25 AM »

Good point -- Mr Inks does that enough himself, and he doesn't appreciate his territory being encroached upon.

Name one false claim that I have made that I have not apologized for upon being notified that it is false.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies