Opinion of School Modesty Club
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:13:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of School Modesty Club
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: club at a Calif. High School
Positive (D)

Negative (D)

Positive (R)

Negative (R)

Positive (I/O)

Negative (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of School Modesty Club  (Read 4882 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/calif-hs-students-modesty-club-inspired-brothers-cussing/story?id=17899147

Generally negative. Exposed cleavage, midriff, etc. aren't that big a deal (certainly better than required uniforms), and there are far bigger priorities at schools. That said, the hate messages they're getting are undoubtedly wrong.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »

Positive. A fair number of people feel pressured to dress a certain way. This Modesty Club is a voice in the opposite direction.

One thing stuck out to me. The article listed people calling and making threats at the founders of the club. Why do you think people would find a modesty club so objectionable?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 09:22:56 PM »

I don't think it's appropriate to judge kids in this public way.  They're too young to know what they're talking about one way or the other on this kind of nuanced issue.  In a few years, they're going to cringe when they read this article. 

That said, modesty is a weird, Victorian era concept.  It's basically has two purposes: 1. Make unattractive people feel better and 2. Force kids to wear appropriate clothing.  Sure, kids should wear appropriate clothing. But the idea that you should be modest about your appearance is delusional; you should take pride in looking your best.  Ultimately, people constantly judge you based on your physical appearance, regardless of whatever lies we tell each other.  Adults have to deal with that reality in life. Life rewards you for dressing appropriately for different social situations AND looking good.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »

Negative -and this is despite my feeling that girls under a certain age should simply enjoy their childhood without being concerned about their appearance regarding boys.  When they reach high school, that is generally when I feel they have crossed from childhood to, at least, pre-adulthood.  They are teenagers for heaven's sake.  They are supposed to rebel against their parents and seek their own identity.   
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »

I hate the hypersexualisation of women's body in modern society, but I hate efforts to force a particular dresscode on women much more. Puritan, reactionary sh*t.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »

I don't think it's appropriate to judge kids in this public way.  They're too young to know what they're talking about one way or the other on this kind of nuanced issue.  In a few years, they're going to cringe when they read this article. 

That said, modesty is a weird, Victorian era concept.  It's basically has two purposes: 1. Make unattractive people feel better and 2. Force kids to wear appropriate clothing.  Sure, kids should wear appropriate clothing. But the idea that you should be modest about your appearance is delusional; you should take pride in looking your best.  Ultimately, people constantly judge you based on your physical appearance, regardless of whatever lies we tell each other.  Adults have to deal with that reality in life. Life rewards you for dressing appropriately for different social situations AND looking good.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »

I hate the hypersexualisation of women's body in modern society, but I hate efforts to force a particular dresscode on women much more. Puritan, reactionary sh*t.

Force? This is a club we're talking about here.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »

The whole purpose of the club is to force a certain dress code on young girls via peer pressure.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »

"Modesty Club" sounds negative and I don't like it, but the gist of it is that while at school it's time to work and not walk around half nude or in your pajamas or whatever you rolled out of bed in. I support that and think these kids have their heads screwed on, even if the name of the club is pretentious. I think they'd like just a little professionalism to catch on. When they go to work as adults, unless it's a strip club, they won't be walking around half nude or in what they wore to bed the previous night. Schools need to better prepare kids for both college and the professional world. There's a time and place to work, and a time and place to play.

Positive (D).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »

The whole purpose of the club is to force a certain dress code on young girls via peer pressure.

Yeah and the school's Christian fellowship is the inquisition Roll Eyes
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:45 AM »

Whether or not they're effective is irrelevant. I was simply stating what the whole point of this organization was, which is, to put it mildly, slut-shaming.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »

Whether or not they're effective is irrelevant. I was simply stating what the whole point of this organization was, which is, to put it mildly, slut-shaming.

So? Literally every club that advocates for something from the LGBT clubs down to the kids who volunteer at the soup kitchen try to make their favoured activity known and popular. There is nothing the modesty club is doing that any other club doesn't do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 09:51:34 AM »

Go get 'em lefties, how dare some people have a different opinion than yours.  THESE CHILDREN MUST BE STOPPED before they start forcing everybody to bring a bible to school via peer pressure and slut shaming.  Clearly these 17 kids are the most popular in this southern California school and will no doubt set the standards their peers will follow.  This travesty must not stand!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »

Should be banned.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2012, 04:12:11 PM by Nathan »

Diffident--D. I doubt these are the type of people I would like very much. Holding, conforming to, and expecting high standards in whatever personal category is relevant, in this case modesty, is perfectly fine and in some cases admirable, certainly not 'slut-shaming' (a term used so often as to have lost a lot of whatever impact it originally had, such that it runs the distinct risk of becoming a generic term of disapprobation), so long as it's done without regard to what gender the people on whom the standards are being levied are. Somehow, I doubt that's the case here.

I'll approve when they start trying to get disgusting young males to stop hocking up loogies all the time just because they can. I don't even know why that became a thing. I honestly can't imagine.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »

Look at the uncovered forearms on that one in the middle! Disgusting and offensive.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »

"lol" about covers my opinion of this thing.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »

I usually don't have a problem with things like this, but exposed shoulders and tight clothes?  Come on, that's retarded.  I wouldn't call them horrible people because they're just kids, but their parents do deserve the title.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 05:43:14 PM »

Embarrassing
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »

Look at the uncovered forearms on that one in the middle! Disgusting and offensive.

Two questions - why is the little boy in pastel blue wai-ing, and why is there a kind of lanky hipster character molesting the little gay boys?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »

Two questions - why is the little boy in pastel blue wai-ing, and why is there a kind of lanky hipster character molesting the little gay boys?

The boy in blue is praying (I think).  The other guy is probably just trolling
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »

That is not my expression when I pray.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 07:05:55 PM »

He's probably stoned
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 07:40:23 PM »

He's probably stoned

Lewd. Unbecoming of his position.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »

Do you hold your hands up in that funny position when you do?  It is so quaint!

I often put my hands up/together in that 'thoughtful professor' look but it really does sometimes backfire on me here Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies