Opinion of School Modesty Club
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:31:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of School Modesty Club
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: club at a Calif. High School
Positive (D)

Negative (D)

Positive (R)

Negative (R)

Positive (I/O)

Negative (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of School Modesty Club  (Read 4823 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »

"Modesty Club" sounds negative and I don't like it, but the gist of it is that while at school it's time to work and not walk around half nude or in your pajamas or whatever you rolled out of bed in. I support that and think these kids have their heads screwed on, even if the name of the club is pretentious. I think they'd like just a little professionalism to catch on. When they go to work as adults, unless it's a strip club, they won't be walking around half nude or in what they wore to bed the previous night. Schools need to better prepare kids for both college and the professional world. There's a time and place to work, and a time and place to play.

Positive (D).

I agree that to an extent schools should prepare kids for the way the real world is (regardless of the way it should be), but for plenty of things, society has stricter standards for children than the real world does (in particular cursing, as was referenced in the article).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 08:32:45 PM »

That is not my expression when I pray.

Do you hold your hands up in that funny position when you do?  It is so quaint!

Usually, but sometimes I clasp my hands instead, which is perhaps less quaint.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »

"Modesty Club" sounds negative and I don't like it, but the gist of it is that while at school it's time to work and not walk around half nude or in your pajamas or whatever you rolled out of bed in. I support that and think these kids have their heads screwed on, even if the name of the club is pretentious. I think they'd like just a little professionalism to catch on. When they go to work as adults, unless it's a strip club, they won't be walking around half nude or in what they wore to bed the previous night. Schools need to better prepare kids for both college and the professional world. There's a time and place to work, and a time and place to play.

Positive (D).

I agree that to an extent schools should prepare kids for the way the real world is (regardless of the way it should be), but for plenty of things, society has stricter standards for children than the real world does (in particular cursing, as was referenced in the article).

There's a difference between wanting dress to be professional and non-distracting, which is generally a positive goal in a school I suppose, and the sexist, slut-shaming, moralizing that these parents are brainwashing their poor children to preach.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »

Positive (D).

There's a difference between wanting dress to be professional and non-distracting, which is generally a positive goal in a school I suppose, and the sexist, slut-shaming, moralizing that these parents are brainwashing their poor children to preach.

What's wrong with slut shaming? Sluts and cads are a scourge on society.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »

club. Why do you think people would find a modesty club so objectionable?

Because there's already the school trying to regulate how students dress and a fifth column is certainly not helpful whatsoever?

HP (R).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »

should take a clue from Ithaca Slutwalk
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 10:37:33 PM »

My goodness folks... if peer pressure is "forcing" people to do something than no place is more fascist than junior high Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »

Sleeping around (i.e. sluttiness) causes a host of poor social outcomes and other problems. This shouldn't be any more controversial than discouraging dropping out of school.

My goodness folks... if peer pressure is "forcing" people to do something than no place is more fascist than junior high Tongue

The leftist hysterics on this issue is nothing short of silly... If you like the girls at your school wearing short skirts, then just say so Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2012, 11:37:25 PM by Nathan »

The sentence immediately after this one makes it less bad as he doesn't seem to be applying a double standard, and I doubt DC is hep to the lingo, but I did a double-take at this too and I don't even like the lingo in question.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2012, 11:24:55 PM »

The leftist hysterics on this issue is nothing short of silly... If you like the girls at your school wearing short skirts, then just say so Tongue

I'm a rightist and I'm going to say that, yeah, weather permitting, I like girls at my school wearing (or at least having the option to wear) short skirts. Sorry if you thought nobody was going to say it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »

Positive (D).

Because girls who wear sexually explicit clothes aren't sluts (at least most of them aren't). They just happen to live in a society where they are told for all their life that their goal is to be objects of male pleasure.

Removing all social pressure in the domain of clothing, rather than creating another pressure that contradicts the first, is the solution. "Modestly clubs" and strip clubs are the two faces of the same patriarchal order, which wants women to be sluts and wants them to be ashamed about it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 12:50:33 AM »

Because girls who wear sexually explicit clothes aren't sluts (at least most of them aren't). They just happen to live in a society where they are told for all their life that their goal is to be objects of male pleasure.

Removing all social pressure in the domain of clothing, rather than creating another pressure that contradicts the first, is the solution. "Modestly clubs" and strip clubs are the two faces of the same patriarchal order, which wants women to be sluts and wants them to be ashamed about it.

How is it remotely possible to remove all social pressure for anything?  Sexual attraction and a love of beauty are innate in human beings.  It's ridiculous to deny that.  People also like clothing and like dressing up.  I really don't understand why that's such a bad thing.  Ultimately, women are objects for the pleasure of other people.  And men are too.  That's not automatically degrading.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 12:56:35 AM »

I hate the hypersexualisation of women's body in modern society, but I hate efforts to force a particular dresscode on women much more. Puritan, reactionary sh*t.

Force? This is a club we're talking about here.

The whole purpose of the club is to force a certain dress code on young girls via peer pressure.
I think the peer pressure is still mostly going in the other direction.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »

How is it remotely possible to remove all social pressure for anything?  Sexual attraction and a love of beauty are innate in human beings.  It's ridiculous to deny that.  People also like clothing and like dressing up.  I really don't understand why that's such a bad thing.  Ultimately, women are objects for the pleasure of other people.  And men are too.  That's not automatically degrading.

But it's pretty clear that in modern society (and in previous societies as well), this aspect of life is excessively stressed upon throughout their lives. Of course appearance has always mattered and will always matter, but for centuries women have been conditioned to make of this the essential part of their lives, while men were given space for things professional achievement, public life, etc. This has changed a lot in the past decades, but a strong force against this change has been the hypersexualisation of marketing, especially that destined to teenage girls, which continuously inculcates them the idea that their goal at life is to become an object of desire. This tendency can, and must be countered if we want to eventually achieve a post-patriarchal society.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »

I hate the hypersexualisation of women's body in modern society, but I hate efforts to force a particular dresscode on women much more. Puritan, reactionary sh*t.

The whole purpose of the club is to force a certain dress code on young girls via peer pressure.
I think the peer pressure is still mostly going in the other direction.

True. But both directions are bad.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2012, 03:34:40 AM »

Yeah and the school's Christian fellowship is the inquisition Roll Eyes

Whether or not they're effective is irrelevant. I was simply stating what the whole point of this organization was, which is, to put it mildly, slut-shaming.

So? Literally every club that advocates for something from the LGBT clubs down to the kids who volunteer at the soup kitchen try to make their favoured activity known and popular. There is nothing the modesty club is doing that any other club doesn't do.

LGBT clubs don't exist for the sole purpose of making kids feel bad about themselves.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »

Are you saying junior high is not fascist?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »

Positive (D).

Not a thing is wrong with it (assuming both male and female sluts are treated equally negatively), and schools should absolutely have a dress code.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »

Positive (D).

Not a thing is wrong with it (assuming both male and female sluts are treated equally negatively), and schools should absolutely have a dress code.

Nothing is wrong with calling children or adults "sluts"? Nothing at all? What a strange moral compass you have. No person should be belittled because of what they do in their spare time if it doesn't hurt anybody.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2012, 04:21:49 PM by Nathan »

Positive (D).

Nothing is wrong with calling children or adults "sluts"? Nothing at all? What a strange moral compass you have. No person should be belittled because of what they do in their spare time if it doesn't hurt anybody.

Not that calling people sluts is remotely helpful, but 'anything is fine as long as it doesn't hurt anybody' is a specific moral belief, not a generic universal principle you can just expect people (particularly traditional Catholics such as realisticidealist) to agree with.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

Positive (D).

Not that calling people sluts is remotely helpful, but 'anything is fine as long as it doesn't hurt anybody' is a specific moral belief, not a generic universal principle you can just expect people (particularly traditional Catholics such as realisticidealist) to agree with.

This

I'd only add that widespread fornication most certainly does hurt people in the long run. It leads to the spread of disease, higher divorce rates, and single parenthood, all of which have very negative effects on our society.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »

Positive (D).

This

I'd only add that widespread fornication most certainly does hurt people in the long run. It leads to the spread of disease, higher divorce rates, and single parenthood, all of which have very negative effects on our society.

Stopped reading at "fornication" Roll Eyes
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 07:47:36 PM »

Neutral (R).  As someone who comes from a church that places a lot of emphasis on modest dress, I can understand how this girl feels and I certainly commend her and her brother for standing up for what they believe in even in the face of fierce opposition from some of the people around them.  My church is so strict about modest dress that they will not allow skirts above the knees or even jewelry in some cases.  I don't necessarily have a problem with any of those things personally, but I can also see both sides.  I really don't know what to make of all these things, so Neutral it is.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 09:50:40 PM »

Positive (D).

This

Stopped reading at "fornication" Roll Eyes

How open minded you lefties are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies