Traditional Family Faith
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:05:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Traditional Family Faith
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Which faith or faiths has your family traditionally adhered to, even if you no longer do?
Catholicism

Mainline Protestantism

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon)

Evangelical Protestantism (Pentacostal, Southern Baptist, etc.)

Orthodoxy

Judaism

Islam

Buddhism

Sikkhism

Jainism

Hinduism

Non-Theist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Traditional Family Faith  (Read 5747 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 07:30:10 AM »

Catholic on my mothers side. Presbyterian on my fathers.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 07:32:39 AM »

We're all Catholics or athiests
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »

Congregational, tho when growing up we went to a Methodist church as there are no Congregational churches in South Carolina.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »

I can add a colourful update to my old post in this thread, though as it refers to just one person it isn't entirely within the spirit of the thread. But whatever. My Great-Great Grandad was for a time a Salvationist - having apparently converted after seeing The Light in the middle of the street while presumably quite drunk - but had a big fall out over some minor issue or other and returned (but as an observant member rather than a purely nominal one) to the Primitives.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »

My maternal grandparents converted from catholicism to evangelical protestantism. Much to the chagrin of my ultra-catholic paternal grandmother my father did the same. Thus, my immediate family's faith is very homogeneous.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »

My mother's side (with the exception of some of my cousins) are pretty much all Roman Catholic.  My father's side is a mix of, I believe, Presbyterians and Congregationalists.

Fun fact: I would have been baptized Catholic if the priest in my hometown wasn't so unpleasant and my mother didn't dislike him, but I probably would've converted to Protestantism at some point anyway for my own reasons.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »

I can add a colourful update to my old post in this thread, though as it refers to just one person it isn't entirely within the spirit of the thread. But whatever. My Great-Great Grandad was for a time a Salvationist - having apparently converted after seeing The Light in the middle of the street while presumably quite drunk - but had a big fall out over some minor issue or other and returned (but as an observant member rather than a purely nominal one) to the Primitives.

Primitives?  Do you mean some form of Calvinist Baptist?  Wikipedia is not helpful here, so I am unsure of your meaning.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

My dad is from the deep south, so his family is mostly Baptist with a few Methodists. My mom's family is mostly Roman Catholic with a few Jews somewhere several generations back.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »

Father's family is ancestrally Anglican, and they have been Episcopalians in the United States.

Mother's family was French Huguenot so Calvinist, termed Presbyterian in the U.S.

Now my family practices religion of the Campellbite type, Churches of Christ and DoC.  

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »

Fun fact: I would have been baptized Catholic if the priest in my hometown wasn't so unpleasant and my mother didn't dislike him, but I probably would've converted to Protestantism at some point anyway for my own reasons.

But OMG dude how could you? After all culture and tradition! oakvale would hate you so much.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »

Primitives?  Do you mean some form of Calvinist Baptist?  Wikipedia is not helpful here, so I am unsure of your meaning.

Primitive Methodism
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »

But OMG dude how could you? After all culture and tradition! oakvale would hate you so much.

I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but you need to cut back on your drinking.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

Probably true but that sarcastic post was made completely sober.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 05:32:16 PM »

It... er... didn't really come across that way...
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 05:34:30 PM »

On my mother's side, my ancestors were largely recusant Catholics.

On my father's they were High Church Anglicans.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »

Catholicism.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »

No surprise there. I am equally boring. Lutherans as long as I can trace them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 12:53:49 AM »
« Edited: December 29, 2013, 12:56:10 AM by Puddle Splashers »

Are you seriously saying most people in Ireland DO NOT hold animosity toward people who convert from Catholicism to Protestantism? That greatly contradicts many things you and oakvale have said.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 01:05:38 AM »

My father was apathetic on religion, though if he had to pick one it would have been mainline protestant.  His family was Methodist, but what little remains of the family are spread over several denominations.  My mother and her family are Lutheran.  I remember hearing that there is a Jewish link somewhere in my mother's ancestry, but I don't know which ancestor.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2013, 03:29:04 PM »

Are you seriously saying most people in Ireland DO NOT hold animosity toward people who convert from Catholicism to Protestantism? That greatly contradicts many things you and oakvale have said.

What the christ. No-one cares if you convert to a religion. It would be seen as kind of weird since conversion is not something that's done here to anywhere near the extent of the US.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »

What the christ. No-one cares if you convert to a religion. It would be seen as kind of weird since conversion is not something that's done here to anywhere near the extent of the US.

Also, conversion to Protestantism in general is absurd and should be looked on with suspicion in any culture.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »

Bingo. America seems to have a great difficulty in understanding how unreligious, particularly amongst young people, Europe is. It's painful.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »

The One True Faith of Catholicism, but nobody in my immediate family practices or believes.

Also, conversion to Protestantism in general is absurd and should be looked on with suspicion in any culture.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »

My mom's side is mostly culturally Catholic, my dad's is somewhere in between Methodist and agnostic-it ranges! Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies