Traditional Family Faith
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:05:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Traditional Family Faith
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Which faith or faiths has your family traditionally adhered to, even if you no longer do?
Catholicism

Mainline Protestantism

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon)

Evangelical Protestantism (Pentacostal, Southern Baptist, etc.)

Orthodoxy

Judaism

Islam

Buddhism

Sikkhism

Jainism

Hinduism

Non-Theist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Traditional Family Faith  (Read 5708 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

Also, conversion to Protestantism in general is absurd and should be looked on with suspicion in any culture.

Nah, Protestantism is a lot more compatible with comtemporary society than Catholicism and Ortodoxy.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2013, 04:53:49 PM »

Also, conversion to Protestantism in general is absurd and should be looked on with suspicion in any culture.

Nah, Protestantism is a lot more compatible with comtemporary society than Catholicism and Ortodoxy.

Which is precisely the problem.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »

Dad's side Presbyterian, Mother's side Buddhist (although some of my mother's relatives are Christians)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »

What the christ. No-one cares if you convert to a religion. It would be seen as kind of weird since conversion is not something that's done here to anywhere near the extent of the US.

Bingo. America seems to have a great difficulty in understanding how unreligious, particularly amongst young people, Europe is. It's painful.

Yes, also some Americans can't seem to comprehend that despite that, a lot of people here like to associate themselves, if only nominally, if a religio-cultural identity regardless of what they 'believe'.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »

What the christ. No-one cares if you convert to a religion. It would be seen as kind of weird since conversion is not something that's done here to anywhere near the extent of the US.

Bingo. America seems to have a great difficulty in understanding how unreligious, particularly amongst young people, Europe is. It's painful.

Yes, also some Americans can't seem to comprehend that despite that, a lot of people here like to associate themselves, if only nominally, if a religio-cultural identity regardless of what they 'believe'.

Do most non-religious Irishmen call themselves Catholic if asked about their religion? Here almost everybody are members of the (former) State Church (mostly as they can't be bothered to leave), but still I think few of those not believing in God would declare themselves Christians.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »

Do most non-religious Irishmen call themselves Catholic if asked about their religion? Here almost everybody are members of the (former) State Church (mostly as they can't be bothered to leave), but still I think few of those not believing in God would declare themselves Christians.

Yes. This is basically what BRTD can't comprehend whenever in the past Oakvale and I have broached the topic. I'm unsure myself whether I should put down Presbyterian, Church of Ireland or None on a census form even though I'm actually an Atheist.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

Yes. This is basically what BRTD can't comprehend whenever in the past Oakvale and I have broached the topic. I'm unsure myself whether I should put down Presbyterian, Church of Ireland or None on a census form even though I'm actually an Atheist.

Not scene at all bro
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2013, 09:23:59 PM by Puddle Splashers »

Nah I get that. What I'm referring to is the fact that despite that the people in Ireland continue to identify as Catholic for reasons that I find incredibly stupid but all involve "culture" and all that. Meaning that conversion to Protestantism basically means you're rejecting all that and in a way aren't really a "true" Irish anymore. That's what I'm referring to in that Scott doing that would piss off a lot of people. The impression I get is that no one gives a s[inks] if you quit going to Mass or practicing in any way but actually switch to something else and your identification and omg you've just infringed on the glorious "culture" and become this.

That said though is "This way of thinking and identification is rare and quite alien to the Upper Midwest and thus difficult for me to comprehend" that difficult to understand?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2013, 07:05:34 AM »

That said though is "This way of thinking and identification is rare and quite alien to the Upper Midwest and thus difficult for me to comprehend" that difficult to understand?

I think we all understood and accepted that a while ago; it's just that you seem a little fixated on your difficulty comprehending it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »

I think we all understood and accepted that a while ago; it's just that you seem a little fixated on your difficulty comprehending it.

And of course the fact that established faiths; Catholicism, Judaism even Presbyterianism in broadly secular society remain as cultural artifacts. Modern day saccharin American evangelicalism whether it's at a giant mass church or in a pub basement doesn't really have an established 'culture' (yet) which permeates whole communities and across generations whether practicing, secular or atheist.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »

Baptist. Which is curious, considering that only one branch of my family comes from the South.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

And of course the fact that established faiths; Catholicism, Judaism even Presbyterianism in broadly secular society remain as cultural artifacts. Modern day saccharin American evangelicalism whether it's at a giant mass church or in a pub basement doesn't really have an established 'culture' (yet) which permeates whole communities and across generations whether practicing, secular or atheist.

But that type of categorization doesn't always work. For one you can't put every person in such a category even based background. Like see my post before and just how splintered and mixed my family is. I can't claim to be culturally Catholic/Lutheran/Baptist/anything because none of that is the majority of my family. And this is not uncommon in fact in the Midwest this is probably more common than having the majority of your family from the same type of background. Second of all I don't see how even if you do have a homogeneous background it has a large and immutable effect on you. Imagine if I was from a mostly Catholic family. Does anyone seriously think I'd be Catholic today or be much different?

And finally the lack of cultural identification within newer churches is exactly one thing I like about it, it means that no one won't be seen as not fitting in because they aren't the "right" race or ethnicity.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »

Which is precisely the problem.

In what way?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2013, 04:37:16 PM »

Yeah I was wondering that myself.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »

It's not inherently or automatically wrong for Protestantism to be more suited to the general culture of a particular time and place than Catholicism or Orthodoxy, but treating it as if it's particularly right is arguably suspect because Christianity has traditionally seen itself as apart from and to some extent opposed to the systems and structures of the World. (I would think BRTD would have some sympathy for this, as it is the element of Christian thought that according to interpretation can, in fact, make problematic the idea of Christian identity as an outgrowth of culture that he finds so objectionable.) If you think that contemporary society and its demands are themselves immoral or inane, as Cathcon and Progressive Realist both seem to although for what I'd imagine are different reasons, it's obviously not going to be to Protestantism's credit that it is more compatible with those demands.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 12:04:55 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2013, 12:57:24 AM by politicus »

It's not inherently or automatically wrong for Protestantism to be more suited to the general culture of a particular time and place than Catholicism or Orthodoxy, but treating it as if it's particularly right is arguably suspect because Christianity has traditionally seen itself as apart from and to some extent opposed to the systems and structures of the World. (I would think BRTD would have some sympathy for this, as it is the element of Christian thought that according to interpretation can, in fact, make problematic the idea of Christian identity as an outgrowth of culture that he finds so objectionable.) If you think that contemporary society and its demands are themselves immoral or inane, as Cathcon and Progressive Realist both seem to although for what I'd imagine are different reasons, it's obviously not going to be to Protestantism's credit that it is more compatible with those demands.

While your interpretation of those two gentlemen's  POV is probably correct it doesn't make conversion to the more compatible (or modern) interpretation of Christianity absurd from the individuals perspective or something to be viewed with suspicion by others since there is no more reason to suspect it being insincere than any other conversion.

Still, it would be nice to have an answer in thread from Cathcon and Progressive Realist. That something is aburd in general is a strong allegation that ought to be backed up by some actual arguments.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »

My mother's side is mostly Catholic, and my father's side is mostly Lutheran. I am somewhere in between.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2013, 01:38:53 AM »

My mother's side is mostly Catholic, and my father's side is mostly Lutheran. I am somewhere in between.

Funnily enough that's a pretty accurate description for my family too. Obviously I wouldn't say I'm "somewhere in between" but then you probably understand my point about not being too attached to some religious identity.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »

Roman Catholic maternal, Jewish paternal
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »

My dad's family is Catholic. My mom's family Methodist, though I am a Baptist and my mom is now a Lutheran.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2013, 04:28:08 PM by Supersonic »

Church of England.

*although to be fair, going back in my Dads family there are Catholics.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »

If you go back far enough in the families of, like 95% of British people there are Catholics... Tongue

(or are there? Was Mediaeval Catholicism really the same religion as Catholicism after the Counter Reformation?)
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2013, 05:31:26 PM »

If you go back far enough in the families of, like 95% of British people there are Catholics... Tongue

(or are there? Was Mediaeval Catholicism really the same religion as Catholicism after the Counter Reformation?)

Haha, well I meant my nan was Catholic. Tongue

People could go mad trying to get their head around a question like that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »

People could go mad trying to get their head around a question like that.

That's what makes it a good question. All good questions have the capability of turning people into gibbering wrecks.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »

Catholicism on my dad's side. My mom side is pretty mixed- my grandparents were Unitarians, but before them their families were either Southern Baptists or Methodists.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies