Have you ever voted outside of your party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:09:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Have you ever voted outside of your party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Have you ever voted outside of your party?  (Read 10621 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 05:46:56 AM »

At least in Germany I'm struggling to see an alternative. When a CDU government abolishes atomic energy...
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »

I've voted only once in a partisan election, and I voted for my party's candidate. I also voted for the "Liberal candidate" for mayor in 2010 though I have no way of knowing the affiliation of the council and school trustee candidate I voted for in 2010. And I have no plan of voting outside of my party in the near future.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »

still on parole?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »

I can't vote yet, but I've supported Independent candidates for governor and supported Collins and Snowe in Senatorial elections.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2011, 04:47:06 AM »

Yes, the 2010 congressional election was the first time (voted for one Green and one Libertarian). I will be doing it again in the future.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »

We don't register by party in TN, but I'm obviously a Dem. I voted for the GOP for county mayor once because the race was more about competance than ideology. I would never, under any circumstance, vote GOP for state or federal office.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:12 PM »

I've voted for Democrats for a wide array of local offices, as Erie County, OH (my parents' house, I'm a college student in Cleveland) is rather Democrat heavy and often I feel a Democrat is the best candidate. We tend to get some conservative Democrats, too.

I always consider voting for Marcy Kaptur for US representative, though I didn't last year. Maybe if I still live in the 9th District in 2012 I'll vote for her.

If the Democrats would nominate someone who isn't pro-choice for governor of Ohio I'll gladly vote against Kasich but if they pick a social liberal like usual I'll be stuck voting for one of the worst governors in the country, again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

I don't really have a party...but I suppose I consider myself closest to CDU. So to answer that:

2009 State Parliament (Hesse): district: CDU, list: FDP
2009 Landrat (County Chairman): SPD
2009 Euro parliament: FDP
2009 Federal Election: district: CDU, list: CDU
2011 local parliaments:
county: SPD
city: CDU
village (part of city): CDU

So yeah, my vote isn't extremely stable.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »

Yes. Very first vote I cast was for an Independent Labour city council candidate against the Labour incumbent, who, lets just say, got arrogant with his electorate
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 04:01:40 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 04:08:59 AM by Scott »

Not old enough to vote.  Though I am somewhat fond of a few non-Democrat politicians.  If I lived in Ron Paul's district, I would vote for him so that the House GOP caucus would have a few anti-Drug War, anti-war, independent members.  Before the economy went into the crapper, I probably would've supported Schwarzenegger if I lived in California and possibly Jodi Rell.  I supported Tom Clements (G) for the SC Senate election last year.

My favorite member of the Senate is Bernie Sanders (I).
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 04:53:16 AM »

If elections for the student parliament at university count as real elections than yes, twice.
Otherwise, no. SPD in all federal, state, local and EU elections.

I can't guarantee for the next EU elections though...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 07:00:10 AM »

Once again today....I just voted SPD for mayor. Although only SPD and Green were on the ballot...
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 07:34:50 AM by republicanism »

Once again today....I just voted SPD for mayor. Although only SPD and Green were on the ballot...

On a Monday?

Edit: I somehow forgot about the possibility of absentee voting, so nevermind. But what town/city?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2011, 07:36:07 AM »

I'm not a member of the party I'm supporting.

In regard to the question, yes. I voted outside of my party in 2010 presidential election runoff, after my candidate failed to enter it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56:33 AM »

Certainly
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:31 AM »

On a Monday?

Edit: I somehow forgot about the possibility of absentee voting, so nevermind. But what town/city?

Groß-Umstadt, Landkreis Darmstadt-Dieburg.

The election is on this coming Sunday but I won't be there, so I voted at city hall early in person today.

I probably would have voted SPD anyway...but it's not a good feeling for me Smiley
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2011, 10:39:59 AM »

Groß-Umstadt, Landkreis Darmstadt-Dieburg.

Ah, old social democratic industrial heartland that is, right?

I probably would have voted SPD anyway...but it's not a good feeling for me Smiley

In an area like yours the SPD is often more conservative than average. May be that's the reason why you can support us there.
What do you usually vote, if you don't mind me asking? CDU?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 01:07:53 PM by Franzl »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's certainly SPD heartland. Not really all that much industry going on, at least as far as I can see. It's relatively Protestant, I think that might have a relatively large role, as they tend to lean SPD around here. It gets much stronger SPD the further you go down into the Odenwald from here. I think our area has gradually been trending somewhat more conservative. Darmstadt-Dieburg is in quite good economic shape actually. I seem to remember hearing we had the lowest unemployment in Hesse....maybe one or two years ago? Not quite sure.

The SPD here is relatively sensible. Only applies to the Kreis here. They're crazy in Darmstadt city again Wink For example the Kreis SPD was rather strongly in favor of building the road ring around Darmstadt, something that was very longly fought by the city government, and with the new Green mayor in Darmstadt, has been thrown out completely. Perhaps not "conservative", but practical thinking at least.

My SPD votes so far have been for Kreistag, Landrat and Bürgermeister. Basically in all three cases simply a case of the incumbents doing competent and practical local policy. I don't have much to complain about, and considering that ideology really doesn't play all that big a role at local levels, there's no reason to throw them out really.

I'd have a pretty hard time supporting the Hesse SPD at state level. They can be pretty radical indeed Smiley

I've voted a mix of CDU and FDP at state/federal/European level (Very happy I didn't go FDP for Bundestag, actually Smiley). SPD for most local things.

Generally speaking, even though it's been split up for me since reaching voting age....I'd more or less consider myself a CDU supporter, yes.

Not a fan of the Federal Government, mind you.

HST1948

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2011, 10:40:39 PM »

I voted for Republican Mark Grisanti for the State Senate last year, and I have been pleasantly surprised.  I probably have voted Republican in a lot of local/town races.  I voted for Republican Chris Collins for Erie County Exec in 2007, a vote I severely regret. On the federal level I have voted Democratic in every election, however I would consider voting against Rep. Louise Slaughter if someone good ever ran against her.   
lowtech redneck
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 12:37:09 AM »

Yes, I've voted against Guy Millner of Georgia twice, voted against Cynthia McKinney in the Democratic primary three times, and voted for Majette and Johnson in the general election in gratitude for taking on Cynthis McKinney's machine (its not like any Republican is going to win there, anyway).

Going forward, I'm never voting for a Democrat for President or Senate (due to the Supreme Court); I have not ruled out voting for a Democrat for other offices in the future, but its not going to happen in the near future (what with the effective demise of the Democratic Leadership Council and all).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies