Murkowski to hold "campaign kickoff" tonight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:14:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Murkowski to hold "campaign kickoff" tonight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Murkowski to hold "campaign kickoff" tonight  (Read 5489 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »

Mike Huckabee always knows how to bring the lulz.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 05:30:20 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2010, 05:35:13 PM by DrScholl »

I definitely think that there was some snide reasoning behind that tweet being sent out. People try to pull double entendres and hide little "gems" in their statements sometimes.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »

Whatever Murkowski's decision is, the announcement will be made at 5PM Alaska time a.k.a. 9PM Eastern.   It's prime time for the local Alaska newscasts - which to me is a good indication that she will wage a write-in campaign.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »

It wasn't Miller himself, and how are you both so certain when there's no context whatsoever? Tongue

The context provided by the sentence itself makes it clear he's referring to the party. It would have made little sense to be claiming that Murkowski was "selling out her party's values" by leaving the party and running as a Libertarian.

Yes it would, it makes perfect sense to make that claim. Plus, just Google "Lisa Murkowski" and "prostitute" and you' get 1,000 links interpreting the quote as referring to her.

I'm well aware of that deliberate misinterpretation, the source of which I already addressed.

The context makes it pretty clear he's talking about a party. The Libertarian Party was considering whoring itself out to Lisa Murkowski, selling out it's own values for some fleeting electoral attention. Miller made a valid criticism of the LP.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »

I'm glad she is running. Like I said I have respected her for her efforts to help the country even if she is a more moderate Republican.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 05:43:56 PM »

It wasn't Miller himself, and how are you both so certain when there's no context whatsoever? Tongue

The context provided by the sentence itself makes it clear he's referring to the party. It would have made little sense to be claiming that Murkowski was "selling out her party's values" by leaving the party and running as a Libertarian.

Yes it would, it makes perfect sense to make that claim. Plus, just Google "Lisa Murkowski" and "prostitute" and you' get 1,000 links interpreting the quote as referring to her.

I'm well aware of that deliberate misinterpretation, the source of which I already addressed.

The context makes it pretty clear he's talking about a party. The Libertarian Party was considering whoring itself out to Lisa Murkowski, selling out it's own values for some fleeting electoral attention. Miller made a valid criticism of the LP.

1. Wasn't it a Miller volunteer?

2. Why would it make little sense to say that Murkowski is selling out her party's values and running as a Libertarian?  (Re-read the quote; it just says Murkowski/the LP sold out party values, it doesn't even mention a causal agent, so Libertas your use of by is arguing to conclusions.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 07:00:14 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2010, 08:08:53 PM by Torie »

Whatever Murkowski's decision is, the announcement will be made at 5PM Alaska time a.k.a. 9PM Eastern.   It's prime time for the local Alaska newscasts - which to me is a good indication that she will wage a write-in campaign.

Yup. Maybe she has an internal poll that shows her in the hunt. But then Crist had one of those too. Yes, she is not Crist, but she is not going to get out of the Crist part of the Venn Diagram. What meaning does her candidacy have?  What is so horrible about Miller?  That he is against pork?  Is that a good issue to run on to change the dynamics?  Yes, the US is broke, and awash with debt, but yet with no money, it is critical to have a US Senator that will spend their time in DC begging for pork from the empty pantry cellar? Just whom is going to believe that will be the most efficacious strategy for Alaska, as opposed to just embarrassing the state in this climate, not to mention offensive?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »

The announcement has been postponed until 6PM (10 Eastern).  Murkowski is still flying back to Anchorage.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »

1. Wasn't it a Miller volunteer?

2. Why would it make little sense to say that Murkowski is selling out her party's values and running as a Libertarian?  (Re-read the quote; it just says Murkowski/the LP sold out party values, it doesn't even mention a causal agent, so Libertas your use of by is arguing to conclusions.)

Murkowski is not especially associated with Republican "party values", whatever they are. If he had wanted to go after Murkowski, it would have made more sense to just say she was selling out her values.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »

Yup. Maybe she has an internal poll that shows her in the hunt. But then Crist had one of those too. Yes, she is not Crist, but she is not going to get out of the Crist part of the Venn Diagram. What meaning does her candidacy have?  What is so horrible about Miller?  That he is against pork?  Is that a good issue to run on to change the dynamics?  Yes, the US is broke, and awash with debt, but yet with no money, it is critical to have a US Senator that will spend their time in DC begging for pork from the empty pantry cellar? Who is going to believe that will be the least effective, as opposed to just offensive?

Considering the bad blood within the Alaska Republican party, she might just want to take some revenge here. The Murkowski wing of the Alaska Republican party has been badly bruised - but they aren't, yet, dead. Waiting 4 years to take on Begich is useless: they'd be out by then. If she wins, she proves the Murkowski name still has some power in the general electorate. If she throughs the race to the Dem (not too likely, but not impossible either), she, at least, makes it clear that without the Murkowskis Alaskan Republicans can't be too certain of success. Either is better then just give up the party and the state to their enemies.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »

Launching some jihad based on personal animuses seems unwise to me. But then politicians can be unwise. Who knew? In any event, Sarah to me looks a lot better in the context of Alaska politics, than outside it - far better. Think about it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:13 PM »

Launching some jihad based on personal animuses seems unwise to me. But then politicians can be unwise. Who knew? In any event, Sarah to me looks a lot better in the context of Alaska politics, than outside it - far better. Think about it.

I am so glad that someone beside me finally sees that. Especially with all the Palin bashing, most of it deserved, its easy to forget the scum she has been riding us of.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2010, 08:30:04 PM »

I am so glad that someone beside me finally sees that. Especially with all the Palin bashing, most of it deserved, its easy to forget the scum she has been riding us of.

I had a great deal of respect for her after she ousted Frank Murkowski, and then tried to wield her new-found power to rid us of Don Young.  Shame she failed on that front, though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2010, 08:30:47 PM »

It's not just a personal jihad - it's a battle for control of some very tangible assets Smiley If she gives up now, in 4 years Murkowskis may well be irrelevant. If she manages to prevent Miller from becoming the next senator from Alaska, that's quite another matter. If she gets elected, she is still the Alaska Republican in the Senate - whether Palin, etc., like it or not. Yes, she'd be a Lieberman-type figure in the Senate - but I haven't noticed any signs that Lieberman has regretted defying his party's primary electorate.

I'd conjecture, she'll use the campaign to screw the enemy camp in every way imaginable. If she becomes viable, the Dems might simply choose to quitely forget the Sitka mayor. In this case she still have a chance. And if not, at least, it will be entertaining Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »

I had a great deal of respect for her after she ousted Frank Murkowski, and then tried to wield her new-found power to rid us of Don Young.  Shame she failed on that front, though.

Yea, this was the year more then 2008 to do that and nobody ran against him that could pull it off this time.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »

While I cheered this, I don't think she has a chance as a write-in, ag. It's ultimately a quixotic campaign, probably mainly for the sake of allowing her strongest supporters to express their preference. If anything she had a better chance of having a future in politics by endorsing Miller, though she would have sacrificed all personal pride.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »

While I cheered this, I don't think she has a chance as a write-in, ag. It's ultimately a quixotic campaign, probably mainly for the sake of allowing her strongest supporters to express their preference. If anything she had a better chance of having a future in politics by endorsing Miller, though she would have sacrificed all personal pride.

Honestly, Sarah Palin is not giving me an impression of being generous to losers. I suspect, the Murkowskis have figured out that if they let this one go, they are not getting back, period. Well, sure, this is, probably, quixotic. But, at least, it is going to upset things and, perhaps, in the turmoil they still might have a chance.  Otherwise, they might as well move to Florida.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »

It's official.  Today, Murkowski's "campaign for Alaska's future begins".  She's doing it for Ted Stevens - or something like that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »

It's official.  Today, Murkowski's "campaign for Alaska's future begins".  She's doing it for Ted Stevens - or something like that.

For pork and ethical trimming? 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »

Well, she talked about Ted Stevens just before officially announcing.  I guess you can do the math.  She's doing it for Alaska, Alaska voters who will be disenfranchised no more.  Stand by her.  She'll stand by Alaska, or something like that.

It's been streaming on Anchorage TV station ktva.com via USTREAM.  KTUU as well, I think.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »

I'm watching this live, it's pretty exciting! She did make a reference to a quote Stevens said, "To hell with politics. Let's do what's right for Alaska".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »

wow - what an interesting campaign season.

i bet a lot of Alaskans want their Federal $$. she might stand a chance.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 09:33:35 PM »

wow - what an interesting campaign season.

i bet a lot of Alaskans want their Federal $$. she might stand a chance.

Not as a write-in.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 09:33:59 PM »

Well, she talked about Ted Stevens just before officially announcing.  I guess you can do the math.  She's doing it for Alaska, Alaska voters who will be disenfranchised no more.  Stand by her.  She'll stand by Alaska, or something like that.

It's been streaming on Anchorage TV station ktva.com via USTREAM.  KTUU as well, I think.

Yuck, what a conniving bitch. You just knew she wasn't going to accept being defeated fair and square.

If I were an Alaskan voter, I'd prefer both Miller and McAdams to Murkowski.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »

I think more than anything, this is her trying to get back at Sarah Palin for screwing her over. And because of that, I kind of hope she wins. Murkowski was truly one of the more moderate voices in the Senate. That being said, I'll be fine with a Senator Miller in January.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies