Are you going to miss Mike Castle?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:47:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are you going to miss Mike Castle?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Are you going to miss Mike Castle?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Are you going to miss Mike Castle?  (Read 6147 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2010, 09:13:53 PM »

No. He was another GOP hack that we were told to worship as a moderate because OMG HE'S PRO-CHOICE just like Mark Kirk and the like. We're much better off without trash like him. Now we can get a Democrat in his House seat and keep the Senate seat.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

Essentially what you said, although he was more moderate than most GOPers (stem cells, for example, and campaign finance-reform).  I'll be happy to move actual Democrats into those seats though.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »

No.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »

I'll be happy to move actual Democrats into those seats

Basically.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:57:10 PM »

I really wish this increasingly battered wing of the GOP would break off and form a third party.  I think that Charlie Crist is evidence enough that such a party could be competitive in general elections.  All it would take is a small but respectable group of current GOP moderates with decent name recognition.  Trying to change the party from within clearly isn't working for them and I think the presence of a moderate center-right party would be a boon to the progressive agenda.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:54 AM »

I really wish this increasingly battered wing of the GOP would break off and form a third party.  I think that Charlie Crist is evidence enough that such a party could be competitive in general elections.  All it would take is a small but respectable group of current GOP moderates with decent name recognition.  Trying to change the party from within clearly isn't working for them and I think the presence of a moderate center-right party would be a boon to the progressive agenda.

... Please, by all means.  You do realize Crist is one of the biggest reasons why Dems have no shot at picking up the Florida Senate Seat, right?  If you want to replicate that on the National level, I'm not going to stop you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:27:54 AM »

That loser Kendrick Meek would've had an equal chance without Crist, that is none.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »

Yes. [insert cry figure here].
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2010, 12:40:44 AM by fezzyfestoon »

Yes, please.  I'd like to see these people completely detached from that piece of shit party so they can actually be themselves without the threat of the nutbags like O'Donnell.  I really think there's a difference between how they'd actually be and how they have to be to survive in the insanity that is the Republican Party.

So yes, I'll definitely miss Castle.  And I'll be glad to see O'Donnell and the other pieces of insane garbage the idiot Republican Party nominated go down in flames despite the perfect situation for them this year.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:45:47 AM »

I'm going to miss Mike Castle like I miss Gordon Smith.  Am I happier with the Dem winning? Yes, but I'd rather had a real right wing douche like Coburn go down than a midway GOPer a la Castle.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:46:54 AM »

I'm going to miss Mike Castle like I miss Gordon Smith.  Am I happier with the Dem winning? Yes, but I'd rather had a real right wing douche like Coburn go down than a midway GOPer a la Castle.

Please at least say you don't feel that way about Norm Coleman.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 01:19:08 AM »

The guy hardly ever crossed my mind until the last month or so anyway, so of course I won't.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 01:50:08 AM »

Please at least say you don't feel that way about Norm Coleman.

Norm Coleman was a puppet with no puppetier, as are most Minnesota Republicans, oddly.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 02:10:48 AM »

Bingo.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 02:14:53 AM »

The guy hardly ever crossed my mind until the last month or so anyway, so of course I won't.

Agreed with this. I can't really develop strong feelings about a random politician of limited prominence who represents a Congressional district all the way across the country.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 02:29:45 AM »

Mike Castle is one of the few moderate Republicans that I genuinely like so I'll miss him but mostly because his loss signals a total loss of sanity in the GOP. Even though I cheer it on because I know it will help Coons, a small part of me is disturbed by it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »

To be fair to Mike Castle, he was more than a "vaguely pro-choice OMG MODERATE" and did vote for cap and trade, against guns, etc. But a real Democrat (in both the House seat and the Senate seat) will be much better.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 06:48:27 AM »

Same.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 07:18:02 AM »

Yes. Mike Castle was, hands down, the smartest, most qualified candidate running for U.S. Senate this year. He was a thoughtful compromiser, someone who would have been absolutely invaluable in a close-to-tied chamber.

Instead of voting themselves one of the best U.S. Senators in the country, the Delaware GOP voted for a complete fraud who is running for office just so she can cut herself checks from the campaign checkbook. She has no qualifications to be Senator other than the fact that she ran for the office once before and lost in a humiliating landslide. Even though her way of operating (via lies and slander) was wholly transparent, 53% percent of the Delaware GOP acted like retards and voted for her. It's almost inconceivable.

Plenty of good moderates lost this year. None of those losses incensed me the way this has.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »

Charlie Crist, he's a funny guy you know.

He was against obama care, now he's for it.
He was against gay adoption, even took it to court for the state.
Now he says he supports it and is dropping all appeals.
He said he would face Rubio in the primary, upon realizing he would lose his ass off, drops out.

Yeah, I can see a party full of jokers like him having a future.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »

No, I'm tired of hearing his name being mentioned.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »

I didn't even know who he was a few weeks ago. And he sounds like a trashy guy, so no.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »

Example of a "moderate Republican":

2010  In 2010 Gun Owners of America - April Ratings gave Representative Castle a grade of F .
2009  In 2009 Gun Owners of America gave Representative Castle a grade of F.
2008  In 2008 National Rifle Association gave Representative Castle a grade of F, in its scorecard for candidates seeking office in 2008.
2007  In 2007 Gun Owners of America gave Representative Castle a grade of F-.
2006  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2006, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2005  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2005.
2004  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2004, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2003-2004  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2003-2004.
2003  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 100 percent from 1988-2003 (Senate) or 1991-2003 (House).
2003  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence 100 percent in 2003.
2003  In 2003 Gun Owners of America gave Representative Castle a grade of F-.
2002  On the votes that the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence considered to be the most important as of 2002, Representative Castle voted their preferred position 100 percent of the time. These scores are cumulative for each representative's time in their current office. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence considered votes from 1988-2002 in the House and 1991-2002 in the Senate when determining these scores.
2002  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2002, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2001-2002   Based on the results of a questionnaire the Gun Owners of America assigned Representative Castle a grade of F- (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F-).
2001-2003   
2001  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence 100 percent in 2001.
2000  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2000, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
1999-2000  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence 100 percent in 1999-2000.
1999-2000  Based on the results of a questionnaire the Gun Owners of America assigned Representative Castle a grade of F- (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F-).
1987-1999  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 100 percent in 1987-1999.

http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=26792
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »

I've only know of him for a year, so I have little attachment to him. Still, he's the kind of Republican that I wish there were more of.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »

Example of a "moderate Republican":

2010  In 2010 Gun Owners of America - April Ratings gave Representative Castle a grade of F .
2009  In 2009 Gun Owners of America gave Representative Castle a grade of F.
2008  In 2008 National Rifle Association gave Representative Castle a grade of F, in its scorecard for candidates seeking office in 2008.
2007  In 2007 Gun Owners of America gave Representative Castle a grade of F-.
2006  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2006, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2005  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2005.
2004  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2004, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2003-2004  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Gun Owners of America 0 percent in 2003-2004.
2003  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 100 percent from 1988-2003 (Senate) or 1991-2003 (House).
2003  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence 100 percent in 2003.
2003  In 2003 Gun Owners of America gave Representative Castle a grade of F-.
2002  On the votes that the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence considered to be the most important as of 2002, Representative Castle voted their preferred position 100 percent of the time. These scores are cumulative for each representative's time in their current office. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence considered votes from 1988-2002 in the House and 1991-2002 in the Senate when determining these scores.
2002  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2002, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
2001-2002   Based on the results of a questionnaire the Gun Owners of America assigned Representative Castle a grade of F- (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F-).
2001-2003   
2001  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence 100 percent in 2001.
2000  Based on lifetime voting records on gun issues and the results of a questionnaire sent to all Congressional candidates in 2000, the National Rifle Association assigned Representative Castle a grade of F (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F).
1999-2000  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence 100 percent in 1999-2000.
1999-2000  Based on the results of a questionnaire the Gun Owners of America assigned Representative Castle a grade of F- (with grades ranging from a high of A+ to a low of F-).
1987-1999  Representative Castle supported the interests of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 100 percent in 1987-1999.

http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=26792

Funny how someone who's really a radical authoritarian extremist is considered a "moderate" in today's parlance.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies