I don't care about Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:45:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  I don't care about Israel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: What if we just stopped paying attention?
Awesome (normal)

The Soviets are gone and the UN has failed at this before

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: I don't care about Israel  (Read 7958 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 04:42:38 PM »

The long history of connection between Israel and the US explains perfectly why it, in reality, matters. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, if you don't want to.

What does it explain, exactly, in foreign policy terms?

The association between the US and Israel really only gained steam in the 1960s following the Six Day War.

The holocaust's memory is being exploited, to say the least. To draw a line between a sickening inhuman act, to a political justification for anything is pretty vile.

It explains why Israel is supported by the US and is viewed as an ally.

Of course, it is more recent. It is not as if the US was the first country to recognize Israel's state-hood in 1948 or anything.

I'm not sure of how the last paragraph relates to me or if it is supposed to. I didn't think you believed in morality anyway, so I'm not sure what you're so upset about.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »

And I'm glad Helen Thomas looks bad now.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »

I'd call that a non sequitur, but I doubt you know what the term means.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 11:39:54 PM »

The long history of connection between Israel and the US explains perfectly why it, in reality, matters. I'm not saying you have to agree with it, if you don't want to.

The association between the US and Israel really only gained steam in the 1960s following the Six Day War.

The holocaust's memory is being exploited, to say the least. To draw a line between a sickening inhuman act, to a political justification for anything is pretty vile.

The holocaust doesn't explain anything. By your logic, then the US would buddy up with the Chinese to an even more insane degree, owing to the injustices during Mao's reign.

I'm not sure of how the last paragraph relates to me or if it is supposed to. I didn't think you believed in morality anyway, so I'm not sure what you're so upset about.

Proof you don't understand what I'm talking about. I said I didn't believe in an objective morality, which no one can prove exists.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 08:22:29 AM »

The holocaust doesn't explain anything. By your logic, then the US would buddy up with the Chinese to an even more insane degree, owing to the injustices during Mao's reign.

Proof you don't understand what I'm talking about. I said I didn't believe in an objective morality, which no one can prove exists.

Lol. You don't see any reason why Americans might care more about the Holocaust than about Mao's persecutions?

Here's a little hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWII

(and actually since you supported a contradiction you logically said everything that is possible to say. It's impossible to understand a self-contradictory position).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2010, 12:53:54 PM »

Are you kidding or did you really misunderstand ? By "we" I obviously meant the western countries.

I understood you perfectly.  However, I am not the Western world, and neither are you.

You're asking me to take a personal interest in the conflict, and suggesting ways it can be improved.  Then you apparently went off on a tangent about how the 'Western world' can improve things; an entity that you have now clarified is separate from simply 'you and me'.

So again, what connection am I supposed to feel to that tiny strip of desert thousands of miles away, and its miserable god-fearing inhabitants?

Any good citizen should care about the issues that matter to his country. As I explained, the israelo-palestinian conflict should matter to Western Countries. And since me and you are members of westerns countries, it's easy to deduce that you and me should care about the israelo-palestitian conflict.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »

Any good citizen of a country should care about the issues that matter to his country. As I explained, the israelo-palestinian conflict should matter to Western Countries. And since me and you are members of westerns countries, it's easy to deduce that you and me should care about the israelo-palestitian conflict.

Why?  (Question applies to all three assertions there.)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2010, 01:33:23 PM by Governor Morgan Brykein »

Any good citizen should care about the issues that matter to his country.

Citizens should care about issues that matter to themselves, and that should reflect itself in their government.  The U.S. government wasting time and money on this Israel bullsh-t, and forcing Americans to take a side on the issue, is not good government at all.

Our support for Israel is a threat to the American people.  Had we not backed Israel, there would probably have been no 9/11.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's pretty evident, since a democracy requires citizens who are aware of the issues that matter to their country in order t make the good choice according to what they consider as fair. If you hadn't the right to vote, you wouldn't have the duty to care about Israel.

So please read my previous posts.

Do I have to explain also this one ? Roll Eyes
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2010, 02:02:58 PM »

As I explained, the israelo-palestinian conflict should matter to Western Countries.

Why?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2010, 07:27:31 PM by Jeff Vader »

Antonio, no offense, but you're really not putting forward a very convincing argument here.

You seem to be following an assumption that because Western governments have interested themselves in the Middle East, that Western citizens should do the same.  Last I checked, the citizens shape the government (or at least are supposed to), and not the other way around.  I'm not going to force myself to take an interest in something that doesn't personally affect me simply because my government has decided to.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2010, 03:11:18 AM »

I'd call that a non sequitur, but I doubt you know what the term means.

No I prefer to stick to basic words where everyone can be included rather than only associating with the elitist snobs of academic so called expertise. I'm a person of the people and a product to reflect the common man.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2010, 03:12:06 AM »

And I hope Israel wipes out all terrorists in the middle east.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »

And I hope Israel wipes out all terrorists in the middle east.

Same here.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2010, 12:05:29 AM »

I hope all Middle East nations take steps to wipe out terrorism from the region.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2010, 12:31:47 AM »

I hope all Middle East nations take steps to wipe out terrorism from the region.

I hope that it starts raining whisky someday.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2010, 02:08:36 AM by King »

I hope that it starts raining whisky someday.

I bet drinking acid rain would fick you up pretty good.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »

I'm beginning to care less and less because of the massive amount of discussion we've had on the topic recently.

Honestly I think Israel won't be around in 30 years, by propping them up now we're just delaying the inevitable. Secular westernized Israelis are emigrating en masse, the only people in Israel who have lots of kids are extremists and Arabs, both in the territories and within Israel proper, Jewish Americans care less and less about Israel as the older generations die off which will substantially hurt the Israel lobby's clout.

There will eventually be war, and either Israel will use nukes or they will lose. In either case it doesn't bode well for the region and there's nothing the U.S. can do to stop it, especially as long as it maintains the trajectory it has with regards to Middle East policy. International pressure only hardens the Israeli's in their mindset because it feeds into their sense of fear and oppression.

It's a situation where we're damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »

We must help them. They are a powerful ally.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »

Wow, how did you get that to show (I removed it in this replay due to cowardice).  Won't you be banned in a moment, FallenMorgan?

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »

And for those of you who don't support Israel, you will be on the wrong side of history just like the Germans were on the wrong side of history in WWII. You may want to join before it's too late.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »

And for those of you who don't support Israel, you will be on the wrong side of history just like the Germans were on the wrong side of history in WWII. You may want to join before it's too late.

I'm sure those who support Israel will still be on the "right" side of history when that country starts World War III and drags us into it.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »

I'm sure those who support Israel will still be on the "right" side of history when that country starts World War III and drags us into it.

Right cuz we'll win.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2010, 01:05:15 AM »

Right cuz we'll win.

At what cost?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »

Right cuz we'll win.

At what cost?

You lefties are all the same. You always have to rain on the conservative victory parade.

We can't do that.
Well at what cost?

Geez negative Nancy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies