JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:43:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Author Topic: JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted  (Read 31030 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »

BTW, just to throw a little idea, what about organizing elections for the party Chair ? I don't want bgwah out : everybody, me comprised would vote for him anyways. Tongue But I think it's necessary to implement some internal democracy inside a so important party. What do you think about it ?

I already mentioned regularly scheduled elections in my big long post. Wink
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2010, 12:10:48 PM »

I'll also run for Vice Chair if we decide to hold an election, if only because I'm already a Lieutenant Governor and there's a nice similarity between the two jobs.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »

ENDORSEMENTS:
-Automatic endorsement
-Automatic endorsement, with process in place for unendorsement in certain cases (signatures, what?)
-A form of approval voting?
-Badger mentions a majority, though I use IRV at the moment so I'm not sure what difference that would make. Maybe a super-majority (2/3) should be required to endorse a non-JCP candidate (or NOTA) over a JCP candidate?

I support automatic endorsement, but there should be a process for unendorsement that's voted on separately. For instance, if Fritz wanted to refuse to endorse anyone in the Mideast or Southeast, he could introduce a motion to suspend rules for automatic endorsement  for those two races for Senate, with a majority vote or 10 signatures or something. That seems to be the only uncomplicated solution I guess.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I support the creation of "Party Whip" similar to another party or two have. It's purpose is simply to defend the party from criticism and to act as, if nothing else, the party's attack dog. If such a position were created, I'd run for it.

Otherwise I'm supportive of elections for chair, but I doubt I will ever vote against Bgwah unless he commits murder or something.

I have no problem with either of these things, as long as they're no quorum.

Anyone should be able to propose changes to the rules, whenever they want during a convention, if they're members of the party, I think.

Perhaps conventions should be opened roughly three weeks before an election. We obviously don't have to vote for quite some time, but it gives us enough room to evaluate the candidates, pick candidates if no one's running yet, and enough time to hammer out what races we're auto-endorsing in and what we're not.

As for a quorum, that is a recipe for disaster, so let's not.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »

Otherwise I'm supportive of elections for chair, but I doubt I will ever vote against Bgwah unless he commits murder or something.

Bgwah/Kalwejt for a Chair and Vice Chair Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »

I will simultaneously run for Pacific Chair and Vice Chair.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »

If there are no Midwest JCP members interested in regional chairmanship, I'd run too. However, I hope maybe Fritz or Hans, two veterans, may want to be reegional leaders.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »

I will run for Midwest regional chairman.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2010, 04:29:03 PM »

I really like the Whip/Secretary ideas; I'd really like to be Party Secretary and I think bgwah will vouch for the job I'd do, I've been doing exactly that sort of thing already, from time to time.

Also, Majority Leader, woot!!! Grin
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2010, 04:30:29 PM »

His excellency President pro tempore and Senate Majority Leader!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2010, 04:44:43 PM »

I endorse ArchangelZero for Pacific Regional Chair, and, again - for those of you who missed the exciting news the last time *cough* - I'll run for Vice Chair.

Failing that, I'd like give being whip a try, although whether I'd be any, y'know, good is up to you guys. Grin
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2010, 05:16:02 PM »

I really like the Whip/Secretary ideas; I'd really like to be Party Secretary and I think bgwah will vouch for the job I'd do, I've been doing exactly that sort of thing already, from time to time.

Also, Majority Leader, woot!!! Grin

I endorse ArchangelZero for Pacific Regional Chair, and, again - for those of you who missed the exciting news the last time *cough* - I'll run for Vice Chair.

Failing that, I'd like give being whip a try, although whether I'd be any, y'know, good is up to you guys. Grin

Cheesy
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »

Well we haven't actually passed the bylaws yet so these candidacy declarations may be a bit premature at the moment. Wink

But that leaders to another question... Surely we will want the elections to be regularly scheduled. Four month terms in February/June/October makes the most sense to me, though we might have to have a 'special election' this month.

Clearly, Chair & Vice Chair would be elected. Would the other positions (regional, and Badger's proposed positions) be elected or appointed?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2010, 05:33:27 PM »

Well we haven't actually passed the bylaws yet so these candidacy declarations may be a bit premature at the moment. Wink

But that leaders to another question... Surely we will want the elections to be regularly scheduled. Four month terms in February/June/October makes the most sense to me, though we might have to have a 'special election' this month.

Clearly, Chair & Vice Chair would be elected. Would the other positions (regional, and Badger's proposed positions) be elected or appointed?

Well, let say these declarations were just a declarations of interest Smiley

Also, I'd propose a Whip and Secretary to be elected as well.

Regional Chairs should be elected only by certain regions citizens, of course.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »

I just typed this up as the start of a full draft of the bylaws. I'll type up the rest soon. Later articles will include stuff about conventions, endorsements, and defining/regulating party membership. Thoughts?

[quote]Article I: Regulations Concerning Party Officials

Section 1: Party Officials, Defined

A. The Chairman of the Jesus Christ Party shall be the leader and figurehead of the party. He shall manage the daily activities of the party and shall lead and organize other party officials in their duties. He shall chair all Jesus Christ Party Conventions unless this task is delegated by the Chairman to another member of the party.

B. The Vice Chairman of the Jesus Christ Party shall be the deputy leader of the party. He shall assist the Chairman in all areas of party operation. He shall serve as Acting Chairman in the event of a declared absence of the Chairman, or in the interim between a Chairman's resignation/dismissal and the election of a new Chairman.

C. The Secretary of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with maintaining communication within the party, to ensure that all party members are informed and kept aware of the actions and decisions of the party. He shall be responsible for maintaining a list of all JCP members, and shall assist the Chairman in preparing full agenda for Jesus Christ Party Conventions.

D. The Whip of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with assisting the Chairman in recruiting Atlasians into the party as new members. He shall also be responsible for assisting party candidates with voter contact about elections.

E. The Regional Chairmen of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with representing and operating the party within his region, as well as to recruit candidates for regional elections. There shall be one Regional Chairman for each region of Atlasia. A Regional Chairman must legally reside within the region in which he chairs the Jesus Christ Party.

Section 2: Bylaws Concerning Party Officials

A. All Party Officials must be members of the Jesus Christ Party for at least thirty days before their election.

B. All Party Offices shall be elected by party members during Jesus Christ Party Conventions in the months of April, August, and December. Vacant Party Offices shall be filled at the following Jesus Christ Party Convention.

C. Elections for all Party Officials must occur at a Jesus Christ Party convention and must be immediately preceded by a nominating phase of two to five days. Elections shall use Instant Runoff Voting. A simple majority is sufficient for election to any Party Office.

D. No individual may serve simultaneously in more than one Party Offices, with the exception that a party member may serve as a Regional Chairman while also serving in one other Party Office.

E. A vote to dismiss a Party Official from his Party Office may occur after one-fifth of all party members sign a petition for a vote on the dismissal of this Party Official. Immediately following the petition, the Party Chairman shall open an emergency convention with the sole purpose of holding a vote on this official's dismissal (unless the Party Chairman is the subject of the petition in question; then it shall be the task of the Party Secretary). A three-fifths vote in favor of dismissal shall be required to dismiss any Party Official.

F. If any Party Official leaves the Jesus Christ Party, is removed from the Jesus Christ Party, or does not post on the Atlas forum for twenty days without a prior declaration of his absence, he is immediately removed from his Party Office.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »

Thanks for getting to work on this, BK.  Smiley

I don't see a need for regional chairs.  With the additional offices Badger has proposed, I think that is enough party officers.  In regions where we are skimpy (the Southeast), there is little to do.  I suggest striking 1E.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2010, 07:04:26 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2010, 07:10:23 PM by The Doctor »

I drop out of running for Vice Chair and endorse Oakvale for the position.

I keep my campaign for Pacific Chair though.Smiley

Why don't we debate the bylaws for a couple days then we can get a party vote by say...Sunday or Monday?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »

Thanks for getting to work on this, BK.  Smiley

I don't see a need for regional chairs.  With the additional offices Badger has proposed, I think that is enough party officers.  In regions where we are skimpy (the Southeast), there is little to do.  I suggest striking 1E.

I would prefer we keep regional chairs; in regions with elected legislatures, they could be very beneficial in getting JCP slates organized and (hopefully) elected.

For example, even though the Southeast is not a JCP-heavy region at all, I did play a huge role in getting jokerman elected to the Southeastern Assembly a couple months ago Tongue

Still, putting something in about regional chairs staying vacant if the majority of the party agrees could be a good idea.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2010, 09:28:50 PM »

I endorse Kal.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2010, 04:07:47 AM »

BTW, just to throw a little idea, what about organizing elections for the party Chair ? I don't want bgwah out : everybody, me comprised would vote for him anyways. Tongue But I think it's necessary to implement some internal democracy inside a so important party. What do you think about it ?

I already mentioned regularly scheduled elections in my big long post. Wink

Oh sorry. Fine then. Wink

Of course I endorse Kal too. Smiley
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »

For the Vice Chair I endorse Kalwejt. He would do this job well.

For the Midwest regional chairman I think it is a good job for fresh blood and not for veterans. When nobody other want to do it, I support Sewer.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2010, 02:47:25 PM »

Having the chair voting occur in the Presidential months makes more sense to me.

Also, the current law on Vice Chair states that the the Chair can appoint a replacement until the next convention. I think this is worth keeping, as it makes things more simple.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2010, 06:46:13 PM »

Bump just to keep this on the front page.

If the rest of the party wants the regional chairs, I won't fight about it.  I don't want the job myself, though.  Sewer can have it, if he wants it.

I endorse Kalwejt for any party position he chooses to run for.  I think he is our "rising star" right now.

Looking forward to seeing a finished document we can vote on!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »

FWIW, I've done some (i.e. not very much) thinking and come to the conclusion that there's no point in putting the party through a tedious and quixotic bid for Vice Chair when Kalwejt probably - and perhaps rightfully - has it locked up.

Lt. Governor Kalwejt is one of our most active members, and I'm confident he'll do a great job as Vice Chair. Hell, I think he would have made a great choice for SoIA, too.

So, yeah. Since I'd be happy to give some kind of party establishment role a try, I'll publicly and hopefully not too obnoxiously declare my interest in party whip, although I promised I wouldn't cry if I didn't get it.

TL;DR version:

*withdraws from Vice Chair contention*

Again, .
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2010, 10:12:25 AM »

Thank you very much, Oakvale, for your kind words. You're active and enthusiastic so, I'm sure, there's a place for you in the team Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: July 06, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »

With Oakvale's concession, I now endorse Kalwejt for the position of Vice-Chair. (There, you happy now? Tongue)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies