JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:00:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Author Topic: JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted  (Read 31043 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »

The problem with a primary system is that it's pretty much impossible to get the results of a primary to stick unless people decide themselves to drop out if they lose.

That's true. Well darn... Wink

But that's about official party support. Well, we can't prevent people from becoming Crists or Liebermans.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:08 AM »

What if JCP candidates automatically receive an endorsement, but there was a process in place that would allow certain candidates to be un-endorsed? Say, someone petitions to have him unendorsed, it has to be signed by x number of people, and there is a vote on it. Or something.

Very good IMO.

But I'd still request use primary if we have more than one candidate for one certain position regionwide.

How about a requirement that a majority of JCP convention voters (as opposed to a mere plurality) have to vote to endorse another candidate other than a JCP member running?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »

My only problem with JCP "primaries" is how little time there is between the end of the filing deadline and the start of the election.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »

My only problem with JCP "primaries" is how little time there is between the end of the filing deadline and the start of the election.

That could indeed pose a problem, and is why I tend to wait as long as I can to actually have the endorsement voting.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2010, 04:40:19 PM »

That could indeed pose a problem, and is why I tend to wait as long as I can to actually have the endorsement voting.

Perhaps primaries could run concurrently with endorsement voting, if we choose to have them? Though thinking about it, I don't think primaries would be that important; the only way one JCP candidate could hurt another is it were a FPTP election, which I don't think Atlasia has anywhere anymore.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »

I think that actually tends to hurt us a bit as we seem to rush endorsement votes at the last minute. If there's a conflict in voting procedure like this last time it's likely too late to work out in time for the election. Personally I'd like to see us opening things a little sooner. It'll also give more chance for debate/discussion at the convention.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2010, 10:55:12 PM »

Is it possible for us to push the deadline back a bit, per say a week or so?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »

bumpitty bump de bump
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »

A step ahead of me, Fritz. I just now finished a damned grueling day and am going to retire to an hour or two before bed of Yuengling Porter and Fallout 3. Smiley

Tomorrow afternoon, though, I hope to introduce a proposal to create the JCP offices of Party Secretary and Party Whip.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2010, 08:45:06 PM by bgwah »

Um okay, back to this... I've changed the name to include July since we're clearly taking our time. Cheesy

Anyway, let's come up with various sections and vote on them one at a time. I'm not sure how else we would go about this. Badger, I recommend you propose your ideas. I'll probably open a round of voting in a day or two?

Things we need to vote on:

ENDORSEMENTS:
-Automatic endorsement
-Automatic endorsement, with process in place for unendorsement in certain cases (signatures, what?)
-A form of approval voting?
-Badger mentions a majority, though I use IRV at the moment so I'm not sure what difference that would make. Maybe a super-majority (2/3) should be required to endorse a non-JCP candidate (or NOTA) over a JCP candidate?

PARTY LEADERSHIP
-We currently have two positions:
     -Chairman: Me
     -Vice Chair: Snowguy, though he doesn't seem terribly interested in Atlasia anymore.
     -Regional chairs.

We could formalize what these positions do (not sure it's necessary but I welcome input), and establish regular elections for them. Badger also has some ideas for new positions, though I'm not really sure anymore are necessary.

MEMBERSHIP RULES
-We currently have a seven day rule for voting in conventions, which seems to work well and I'm sure we'll all agree to incorporate this into the new bylaws.
-Establish process of kicking out a member? I've proposed a super-majority to take such a drastic action.

CONVENTIONS
-Formalize process for offering amendments to the bylaws.
-Standardize times when conventions should take place, though I think there should be a bit of a window to give the chair some leniency... Wink
-Should we have a quorum? I'm skeptical, considering the problems the RPP has had with it.

Am I missing anything?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:18 PM »

I like those ideas, bgwah.

Also, I think creating a "Special Convention" to deal with an issue like changing the rules should be considered. Maybe it would require the petition of X number of members?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:41 PM »

Since Snowguy may be not interested indeed, I'd run for a Vice Chair, and you'd be sure I wouldn't be inactive.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #137 on: June 30, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »

Also, we have 5 Senators. Why not to to make one of them Senate Majority Leader? Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2010, 08:52:39 PM »

Also, we have 5 Senators. Why not to to make one of them Senate Majority Leader? Smiley

While a cool idea, I don't know how necessary that would be for Atlasia.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »

Or maybe the next day. Tongue At any rate:

Mr. Chairman I move to create the following positions:

JCP Secretary: General job responsibilities would include, but not necessarily be limited to: Maintaining an active and current list of all JCP members along with PM addresses; chairing JCP conventions; preparing an agenda for conventions with Party Chair. Possibly publishing short monthly/bimonthly newsletter to be PM'd directly to, or link to thread directly PM'd to, each JCP member.

JCP Whip: Responsible for direct contact with current and future JCP members. Responsible for PMing individual members with invitations/notices of conventions, and working with JCP candidates in voter contact.

These are rough job descriptions and I'm open to modifications. The important point here is to create positions that allow dedicated party members to become more involved, help improve JCP organization, and to quit assuming every bit of party building can just be dumped on Bgwah. (After all, according to the Atlasia right wing his days are already filled with pulling our collective strings down to preparing our individual daily breakfast menus. Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »

^May I ask what would the Chairman and Vice Chair do if those positions were created?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »

Since Snowguy may be not interested indeed, I'd run for a Vice Chair, and you'd be sure I wouldn't be inactive.

Shoot! I was just about to say the same thing. Well, Kal, you've stepped down from races before when someone else in the party declared first, so I'll do the same here. You'll be a good active Vice Chair I'm sure.

Unless you change your mind about running that is. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »

We've kind of already done that in electing BK PPT.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »

^May I ask what would the Chairman and Vice Chair do if those positions were created?

Vice Chair is easy: It's a position that has no real designated duties I'm aware of. It's as active or inactive as the person holding the position and the Chairman make it. I see the position as a "go-to" right hand to the Chair, Secretary and Whip in their duties, plus specific duties and projects assigned by the Chair. A jack of all trades and master of none type of job. In short, that wouldn't change a bit by creating these positions.

Ditto for Party Chair. I mean c'mon, your days of hatching plots to maintain JCP hegemony with armies of zombie voters must consume all your time already. Wink

Seriously though, it's OK to delegate these matters rather than take personal responsibility for everything. . I refuse to believe the Chair will find itself with too much time on his hands. For starters, you'll now have three officers under you to supervise. Wink
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »

I'll run for Vice Chair (i have no life)Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2010, 07:16:51 AM »

Don't worry Bgwah, my stupid changes of mind ended last fall Smiley

We've kind of already done that in electing BK PPT.

Well, in New York State Senate Majority Leader is also serving as Temporary President.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2010, 07:31:08 AM »

I like the idea of a Senate Majority Leader.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2010, 07:59:56 AM »

BTW, just to throw a little idea, what about organizing elections for the party Chair ? I don't want bgwah out : everybody, me comprised would vote for him anyways. Tongue But I think it's necessary to implement some internal democracy inside a so important party. What do you think about it ?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »

BTW, just to throw a little idea, what about organizing elections for the party Chair ? I don't want bgwah out : everybody, me comprised would vote for him anyways. Tongue But I think it's necessary to implement some internal democracy inside a so important party. What do you think about it ?

Democracy in the Jesus Christ Party?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2010, 09:40:01 AM »

Do we have a Senate Whip too? 

Also, seriously, let's run elections for Chair and Vice-Chair.  Why not?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies