What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 05:16:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Poll
Question: What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?
Oil

WMD's/Terrorism

To protect Israel

American Imperialism

Personal for Bush(to prove to his dad)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?  (Read 26601 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »

I'm all in favor of invading Iran.
LOL I am sure you be but in order to get the troops to fight three wars and maintain our presence elsewhere, your gonna have to have a draft which means CHEERLEADERS like you are gonna have to be a man and go fight. You willing to do that?

Hey Bush was a cheerleader and he became president.
cpeeks
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2010, 09:21:33 AM »

You didnt answer the question.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2010, 06:31:15 PM »

To be honest when I spoke to recruiters they told me that I couldn't join because of all the medications I'm on.
cpeeks
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »

To be honest when I spoke to recruiters they told me that I couldn't join because of all the medications I'm on.

LOL thats garbage, Ive seen recruiters lie and put people in who had epiletic seizures, a recruiter will do anything to put someone in.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »

Watching you two debate is immensely depressing.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2010, 11:48:17 AM »

Goldmined.
cpeeks
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »

LOGOUT
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »

NOT ALL CAPS ARE NEEDED BRO
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »

Again, the real reason is that Bush wanted to promote women's rights, give children a chance to go to school, and bring freedom to those less fortunate. He tried to advocate those things here but the democrats were too high and mighty to listen.
cpeeks
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:30 AM »

Again, the real reason is that Bush wanted to promote women's rights, give children a chance to go to school, and bring freedom to those less fortunate. He tried to advocate those things here but the democrats were too high and mighty to listen.
Quit posting the same crap over and over. Women had more rights in Iraq than other Mideast country genius, and Kids go to school there. And ya there life is so better, the city of Nassariah hasnt had power in 7 years.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »

Quit posting the same crap over and over. Women had more rights in Iraq than other Mideast country genius, and Kids go to school there. And ya there life is so better, the city of Nassariah hasnt had power in 7 years.

come on
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »

OIL-- isn't it obvious?

Iraq has the largest untapped reserves of oil in the middle east.  The political unrest there over the decades has meant they never fully tapped into their rich supply. 

We could borrow all sorts of money from places like China to fund a war in Iraq and then demand the Iraqis pay us back by selling us their oil at a discount...

Essentially:  Iraq is paying the U.S. to ensure we have a steady supply of cheap oil while China fronts the money.  It's genius!!!

WMDs and personal vendetta were just really horrible excuses for the invasion.  If Bush had been honest about it in the beginning, at least some people would have respected him for being a shrewd businessman and strategist.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »

Many Democrats did listen. That's why almost half the Democrats in the House and a majority of Democrats in the Senate voted for the war. Oh, and those ideas are great and all, but again we shouldn't spend our money on that, especially when we're in a deficit.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2010, 01:20:42 PM »

Derek, why did Bush choose to promote those things in Iraq? Why not in North Korea....or somewhere in Africa?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2010, 01:23:48 PM »

Iraq has the largest untapped reserves of oil in the middle east.  The political unrest there over the decades has meant they never fully tapped into their rich supply. 

I don't think there was much political unrest there in the decade before the U.S. invaded. Saddam kept a pretty tight grip on his country.
cpeeks
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »

Derek, why did Bush choose to promote those things in Iraq? Why not in North Korea....or somewhere in Africa?

I have asked him that numerous times, and he always says some crap about how Bush cared about the poor Iraq's, he cant answer it.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2010, 04:53:09 PM »

Many Democrats did listen. That's why almost half the Democrats in the House and a majority of Democrats in the Senate voted for the war. Oh, and those ideas are great and all, but again we shouldn't spend our money on that, especially when we're in a deficit.

Plus they violated UN sanctions, DID have WMD, and tried to assassinate Bush Sr.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »

Somewhere in Africa? Look North Korea we do need to place sanctions on. The truth is that they didn't have any sanctions that they were violating. At first I thought North Korea was a left wing hoax so that America wouldn't support the troops in Iraq. Still, they give the whole "oh I support you but not what you're there doing" line but that's another story. Bush did more to fight aids in Africa than Bono or any other rockstar could ever dream of so that's what we did there. I'm sure that he took an interest in Iraq when his father invaded and took it up as a cause much like Al Gore and his bogus global warming claims that are based off of the bogus studies at liberal universities.  After Bush learned from handling 9/11 his next move was Iraq. Saddam had done enough damage to the world and it was time to go. You saying what about Africa, what about North Korea is just sour grapes most likely from the 2000 election or possibly you didn't receive as many government benefits because we were at war and our soldiers needed the equipment that Kerry voted against.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »

OIL-- isn't it obvious?

We could borrow all sorts of money from places like China to fund a war in Iraq and then demand the Iraqis pay us back by selling us their oil at a discount...

Essentially:  Iraq is paying the U.S. to ensure we have a steady supply of cheap oil while China fronts the money.  It's genius!!!

WMDs and personal vendetta were just really horrible excuses for the invasion.  If Bush had been honest about it in the beginning, at least some people would have respected him for being a shrewd businessman and strategist.

Oil? Ah right from the 2003 democrat playbook. If it were ever about oil, then Bush would have had the sanctions lifted on Saddam and then bought the oil at market price.
cpeeks
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:37 PM »

Somewhere in Africa? Look North Korea we do need to place sanctions on. The truth is that they didn't have any sanctions that they were violating. At first I thought North Korea was a left wing hoax so that America wouldn't support the troops in Iraq. Still, they give the whole "oh I support you but not what you're there doing" line but that's another story. Bush did more to fight aids in Africa than Bono or any other rockstar could ever dream of so that's what we did there. I'm sure that he took an interest in Iraq when his father invaded and took it up as a cause much like Al Gore and his bogus global warming claims that are based off of the bogus studies at liberal universities.  After Bush learned from handling 9/11 his next move was Iraq. Saddam had done enough damage to the world and it was time to go. You saying what about Africa, what about North Korea is just sour grapes most likely from the 2000 election or possibly you didn't receive as many government benefits because we were at war and our soldiers needed the equipment that Kerry voted against.

What dammage did Iraq do to the rest of the world? They were a secular nation. Jesus quit posting this deranged bs!!!!!!!
cpeeks
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »

OIL-- isn't it obvious?

Oil? Ah right from the 2003 democrat playbook. If it were ever about oil, then Bush would have had the sanctions lifted on Saddam and then bought the oil at market price.
Why lift sanctions and purchase oil from Saddam Hussein at market price when you can start a war to enrich your buddies in the military industrial complex and make the Iraqi's pay for it by selling you the oil cheap which will boost your economy and enrich your buddies even more?

Saying that Bush would've "had the sanctions lifted" (It would ahve been political suicide to do so and a huge slap in the face to his own father) and purchased the oil from Saddam at market price is like saying if our real agenda in Vietnam was to stop the spread of communism we would have simply encouraged investors to invest in south Vietnamese companies to stimulate the market and drive out communism that way.  2+2 doesn't equal 5 no matter how hard you try.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2010, 09:58:35 PM »

OIL-- isn't it obvious?

Why lift sanctions and purchase oil from Saddam Hussein at market price when you can start a war to enrich your buddies in the military industrial complex and make the Iraqi's pay for it by selling you the oil cheap which will boost your economy and enrich your buddies even more?

Saying that Bush would've "had the sanctions lifted" (It would ahve been political suicide to do so and a huge slap in the face to his own father) and purchased the oil from Saddam at market price is like saying if our real agenda in Vietnam was to stop the spread of communism we would have simply encouraged investors to invest in south Vietnamese companies to stimulate the market and drive out communism that way.  2+2 doesn't equal 5 no matter how hard you try.

If you want to do that you're sick and it hasn't happened because the oil is still over there. I know the media wants to to equate 2+2 and think Iraq, oil, Texas, Bush, but again what you said never happened so it's really not worth debating.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »

Actually, the North Korean people are/were much more oppressed than the Iraqis under Saddam. Saddam, despite his atrociousness, actually allowed people to leave Iraq if they didn't want to live there. Kim Jong-Il never did that. And North Korea did violate rules by building nuclear weapons when they were members of the NPT. Saddam actually began to comply with the U.N. inspectors before the invasion of Iraq. Thus, your argument about violating rules and especially human rights is completely pointless.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2010, 12:21:47 AM »

Actually, the North Korean people are/were much more oppressed than the Iraqis under Saddam. Saddam, despite his atrociousness, actually allowed people to leave Iraq if they didn't want to live there. Kim Jong-Il never did that. And North Korea did violate rules by building nuclear weapons when they were members of the NPT. Saddam actually began to comply with the U.N. inspectors before the invasion of Iraq. Thus, your argument about violating rules and especially human rights is completely pointless.

I'm not saying North Korea doesn't have weapons. They do. What was going on in the 90's with our intelligence that we couldn't see what was going on? What was Clinton doing? As early as 2002, North Korea has all these nukes. When did they develop them? Yep! They were developed in the 90's while Clinton allowed them to slip through his fingers. Saddam was an enemy with a longer history. Allow them to leave if they could do it without being killed is more like it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies