What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 09:11:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Poll
Question: What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?
Oil

WMD's/Terrorism

To protect Israel

American Imperialism

Personal for Bush(to prove to his dad)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What do you think was the main reason for the US invasion of Iraq?  (Read 26681 times)
Derek
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »

Strategic domination of middle east, oil, and opportunity to steal from treasury.

No and you're just quoting the democrats. If it were about oil, then Bush would've lifted the sanctions on Iraq so that the U.S. could've bought their oil at market price. Instead he went to war to take out a middle eastern Adolf Hitler and encouraged drilling in Alaska.

Again lol as much as I hate to say it I have to agree with Derek  about the part about oil. It was never about oil. People dont realize that we dont get alot of oil from the middle east. We get most of our oil from Venezula, and Canada.

Iraq was producing a lot of oil under Saddam though, and even after we removed Sadam it was still the Iraqis' oil. Thus, what was in it for the U.S.?

If it really was about oil, then Bush would've had the sanctions against Saddam and we would've bought the oil at market price. It never was about oil and never will be.
cpeeks
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »

Im trying to figure out what political agenda I have. I am just against illegally invading a soverign nation.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 06:51:04 PM »

Im trying to figure out what political agenda I have. I am just against illegally invading a soverign nation.

Illegal according to whom? Sovereign according to whom? Sometimes doing the right thing is above doing what is legal according to the UN.
cpeeks
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »

Sovereignty is the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a territory. It can be found in a power to rule and make law that rests on a political fact for which no purely legal explanation can be provided. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_nation

The U.S.-led invasion of Iraq violates the basic rules of the United Nations Charter requiring countries to exhaust all peaceful means of maintaining global security before taking military action, and permitting the use of force in self-defense only in response to actual or imminent attack.

Soverign nation, illegal invasion.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »

Illegal according to whom? Sovereign according to whom? Sometimes doing the right thing is above doing what is legal according to the UN.

The whole "I Am The Law" mentality hasn't worked out well in the past.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »

Sovereignty is the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a territory. It can be found in a power to rule and make law that rests on a political fact for which no purely legal explanation can be provided. ...

The U.S.-led invasion of Iraq violates the basic rules of the United Nations Charter requiring countries to exhaust all peaceful means of maintaining global security before taking military action, and permitting the use of force in self-defense only in response to actual or imminent attack.

Violates a UN Charter? what a crime. We had congressional and UN approval. F! the French, Germans, and Chinese. France was getting oil from Iraq at 4 cents a barrel. For them, it was only about oil.
cpeeks
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 04:09:51 AM »

Violates a UN Charter? what a crime. We had congressional and UN approval. F! the French, Germans, and Chinese. France was getting oil from Iraq at 4 cents a barrel. For them, it was only about oil.

Nope the U.N. did not approve Bush's illegal war.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »

You nay sayers were only about one thing and that's oil. Look at the French getting their oil barrels at 4 cents a barrel. You're right they loved that price and so they opposed the war.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »

You nay sayers were only about one thing and that's oil. Look at the French getting their oil barrels at 4 cents a barrel. You're right they loved that price and so they opposed the war.

In France, they call Bush "the Asshole." I'm completely serious.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 01:40:41 PM »

Strategic domination of middle east, oil, and opportunity to steal from treasury.

No and you're just quoting the democrats. If it were about oil, then Bush would've lifted the sanctions on Iraq so that the U.S. could've bought their oil at market price. Instead he went to war to take out a middle eastern Adolf Hitler and encouraged drilling in Alaska.

Strategic domination of middle east and opportunity to steal were more important Derek.  But the reason it is important to continue to control the middle east is control of the oil - it is what makes us the Empire.  In terms of economics/technology, without oil we all die; in terms of power and killing (our specialty), without oil, you lose in war, and with it, you can win.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2010, 03:58:05 PM »

Your point? Look if you want to go live in France I'm not holding you back. That's one less person who votes democrat in the elections.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »

Your point? Look if you want to go live in France I'm not holding you back. That's one less person who votes democrat in the elections.

My point is that the naysayers didn't want America spending its money on invading a country that posed no immedaite threat to us. It's not like we have money to spare. And the international community felt that Saddam should remain in power because he was minding his own business and not invading or threatening anybody.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »

For the 31 who said "oil".......can you please tell me where the hell it's at?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »

Probably hidden somewhere on Dubya's ranch
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »

It must be.....because a war for oil for the rest of us, it wasn't.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2010, 10:48:31 PM »

My point is that the naysayers didn't want America spending its money on invading a country that posed no immedaite threat to us. It's not like we have money to spare. And the international community felt that Saddam should remain in power because he was minding his own business and not invading or threatening anybody.

The word international means global and the word community means a small area of individuals who hold a similar set of beliefs, values, and ideas. Don't you see how putting the 2 terms together is an oxymoron? I don't much care what other countries think in that case because if they were able to look past what Saddam was doing then they really did have their heads up their asses.
cpeeks
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2010, 04:56:58 AM »

The word international means global and the word community means a small area of individuals who hold a similar set of beliefs, values, and ideas. Don't you see how putting the 2 terms together is an oxymoron? I don't much care what other countries think in that case because if they were able to look past what Saddam was doing then they really did have their heads up their asses.

Hmm were there ied's, under Saddam? Did a half million people lose there life in 7 years since we took over? Answer me that? And look whats going on in Saudi, Iran, China, North Korea, Sudan, Congo, why didnt we go there? If your so worried about the poor Iraq's why dont you do something about and join the army? I bet you would be screaming to the high heavens about you dont wanna go then. Your such a false patriot. Ya your all about waving the flag and national defense as long as you dont have to do it, just like Bush, Cheney, Rush, Rove, all the people that tell you what to beleive.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »

The argument that I heard from the oil conspiracy theorists was that the war was to remove Iraq's oil from the market permanently, thus jacking up the price of oil further and making the oil companies a nice mint by taking a source of oil offline: the more limited the amount of oil, the higher the price, and the larger the profits.  Note that I don't buy that theory any more than the other one, but that effect certainly occurred.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »

Hmm were there ied's, under Saddam? Did a half million people lose there life in 7 years since we took over? Answer me that? And look whats going on in Saudi, Iran, China, North Korea, Sudan, Congo, why didnt we go there? If your so worried about the poor Iraq's why dont you do something about and join the army? I bet you would be screaming to the high heavens about you dont wanna go then. Your such a false patriot. Ya your all about waving the flag and national defense as long as you dont have to do it, just like Bush, Cheney, Rush, Rove, all the people that tell you what to beleive.

Yes what you're doing is pointing the finger everywhere but Iraq to make Bush look bad. Had Bush gone after Iran, we'd be pointing towards Iraq.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2010, 01:12:24 PM »

The argument that I heard from the oil conspiracy theorists was that the war was to remove Iraq's oil from the market permanently, thus jacking up the price of oil further and making the oil companies a nice mint by taking a source of oil offline: the more limited the amount of oil, the higher the price, and the larger the profits.  Note that I don't buy that theory any more than the other one, but that effect certainly occurred.

If it were about oil, then we would've just taken it from Iraq and sold it for less because it would be making a profit off of someone else's oil. We didn't do that because if we did then we wouldn't have been paying $3.50 a gallon 2 years ago.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »

Thanks.  I forgot my super-secret conspiracy code and password so I didn't get that memo.  Wink
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »

The media wants you to connect Iraq with oil, oil with Bush, and Bush wit a war in Iraq for oil. It's alot more intellectually indepth than that and it's not the case.
cpeeks
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »

Yes what you're doing is pointing the finger everywhere but Iraq to make Bush look bad. Had Bush gone after Iran, we'd be pointing towards Iraq.

I could have bought the case for war against Iran alot easier, its an islamic extremist nation, Iraq under Saddam was a secular nation. Christians had freedom of religion, Tariq Aziz was a christian, now I believe I read somewhere that most of the churches have been destroyed because of the Islamic extremism that has developed there.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »

I'm all in favor of invading Iran.
cpeeks
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »

I'm all in favor of invading Iran.
LOL I am sure you be but in order to get the troops to fight three wars and maintain our presence elsewhere, your gonna have to have a draft which means CHEERLEADERS like you are gonna have to be a man and go fight. You willing to do that?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies