2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:48:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33
Author Topic: 2023 Chicago Mayoral/Aldermanic Elections  (Read 33175 times)
warandwar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: April 05, 2023, 08:00:22 AM »

This seems pretty clear, and something Vallas didn't get when he was attacking Johnson for "only" having run a classroom.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #726 on: April 05, 2023, 08:22:00 AM »

Blue MAGA in shambles again.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #727 on: April 05, 2023, 08:35:22 AM »

No, they have not. There's plenty of mail still to come.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #728 on: April 05, 2023, 08:36:24 AM »

Emerson, so take it with a grain of salt after the last cycle.

Interesting that Vallas can't seem to push past 45-46% in all of these

Looks like I was correct about Vallas having a ceiling and the Caruso/Bass comparisons Smiley

And once again, Emerson is terrible. They really need to rethink whatever they're doing.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #729 on: April 05, 2023, 08:36:48 AM »

Another drop of votes and Johnson went up another quarter of a percent.

Also, these GOP tears are SALTY... and tasty.  Smile Glad y'all are claiming your mans though, we don't want him.

I am sad. I love Chicago. I was there last weekend. This sort’ve seems like a now or never point to save it but I guess the people of Chicago want to be Detroit.

Uh-huh, your 'privatize services/education, beef up militaristic police responses and ignore the housing and mental health crisis' solutions are hallow and the people of Chicago will hopefully, and so far thankfully have, seen better. Republican concern for urban issues is fake and always has been.

Schizo heroin addict: I'm a severely mentally ill drug addict. I think I'm going to try to stab some people today.
Incompetent teacher: Wow, Brandon Johnson just made my pension even more generous!
Schizo heroin addict: Amazing! My mental illness has been cured by this shameless looting of Chicago taxpayers.

Short-sighted and silly; I've worked in the mental health field for years and I've seen how severely underfunded and supported it is. Clearly when there is active violent intent law enforcement may be necessary but much of the time they aren't and then escalate the situation as we've seen over and over. You don't police your way out of homelessness or mental health issues, sorry.

Your fault for getting a degree in a useless field then
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2023, 08:38:35 AM »

Oh goodie. Effectively another 4 years of the Lori Lightfoot path to nowhere. Can’t wait.

It's really shocking and odd to me that so many Democratic posters in this thread would rather have a quasi-Republican as mayor than Johnson. Vallas - again - basically destroyed numerous public school systems, crapped all over how many Dem officials, and basically tried to run an antiquated 2002 "tough on crime" ploy this entire campaign. I don't get why any Dem sees anything positive in him.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #731 on: April 05, 2023, 08:38:48 AM »

Hopefully the City Council handcuffs his agenda. There are still enough old-school Daley/Rahm Dems that I think it can be done.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #732 on: April 05, 2023, 08:50:25 AM »

Oh, thanks!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2023, 08:53:05 AM »

Given the primary, Johnson may be able to reach 4-5 by the end of it.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #734 on: April 05, 2023, 09:13:12 AM »

Hopefully the City Council handcuffs his agenda. There are still enough old-school Daley/Rahm Dems that I think it can be done.

A good amount of his agenda is either going to be DOA or significantly neutered by city council. I hope he's the kind of leader that's willing to compromise and negotiate, rather than Lightfoot 2.0, choosing to be combative and let the perfect be the enemy of the good. His stewardship will neither be as transformational as "The Movement" hopes, nor as dire as his detractors are currently worried it will be. I'm reserving judgment until I see his leadership style.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #735 on: April 05, 2023, 09:13:34 AM »

If you think the cops that are resigning now are toxic, wait until you see who will be left to replace them.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #736 on: April 05, 2023, 09:18:36 AM »

That's not a good thing. Political machines are a cancer on society and anytime they are discovered, no matter how small and ineffective they are, they must be purged out of existence.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #737 on: April 05, 2023, 09:26:29 AM »

Illinois will be down to 16 or 17 EV’s in 2032, and Brandon Johnson will probably finish 2rd or 4th in the 2027 Mayoral race, only to be replaced by a literal communist.
Those thoughts have some merits.

As Chicago shrinks (you don't live in Chicago, you leave Chicago), Illinois has gradually become more Republican on average, but the pace is so glacial that it will take a decade for it to be competitive.

As for fast shrinking cities becoming more radical because any opposing voter simply leaves, well there is Detroit as an example.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #738 on: April 05, 2023, 09:31:28 AM »

Oh goodie. Effectively another 4 years of the Lori Lightfoot path to nowhere. Can’t wait.

It's really shocking and odd to me that so many Democratic posters in this thread would rather have a quasi-Republican as mayor than Johnson. Vallas - again - basically destroyed numerous public school systems, crapped all over how many Dem officials, and basically tried to run an antiquated 2002 "tough on crime" ploy this entire campaign. I don't get why any Dem sees anything positive in him.
I agree with you that you can't be tough on crime for everything but you can't have lawlessness either. Why do you think Chicago and Philly has so much crime?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #739 on: April 05, 2023, 09:32:22 AM »

Fun fact: Chicago gained population as of the 2020 census
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #740 on: April 05, 2023, 09:50:40 AM »

I doubt the 2020 census was accurate given the chaotic circumstances at that time.

So I'll wait for the 2030 census to see.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #741 on: April 05, 2023, 09:50:46 AM »

I agree with you that you can't be tough on crime for everything but you can't have lawlessness either. Why do you think Chicago and Philly has so much crime?

Saying that any city has "lawlessness" is ridiculous and a GOP talking point. It's not true in the slightest. The reason both cities have the crime they do is because of a confluence of issues. But conservatives just want to blame Krasner or the mayor for everything when it's a lot more complicated than that.

Vallas was running a Republican crime campaign. His ads looked like GOP ads, and saying we're gonna hire more cops does nothing to actually solve real issues. Glad people saw through it.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #742 on: April 05, 2023, 10:00:25 AM »

I doubt the 2020 census was accurate given the chaotic circumstances at that time.

Interesting, your prior comment didn’t sound like you were just waiting to see
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #743 on: April 05, 2023, 10:07:41 AM »

Saying that any city has "lawlessness" is ridiculous and a GOP talking point. It's not true in the slightest. The reason both cities have the crime they do is because of a confluence of issues. But conservatives just want to blame Krasner or the mayor for everything when it's a lot more complicated than that.

Vallas was running a Republican crime campaign. His ads looked like GOP ads, and saying we're gonna hire more cops does nothing to actually solve real issues. Glad people saw through it.
Why do cops buy into it then, and what can police do to cut crime down?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #744 on: April 05, 2023, 10:16:50 AM »

I don't care for either Johnson or Vallas. I just hope that Johnson manages to be a better mayor than Lori Lightfoot (which is a low bar, I know).

My most conservative position is on crime (particularly violent crime), so I hope that Brandon Johnson actually takes violent crime seriously and doesn't minimize it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #745 on: April 05, 2023, 10:36:40 AM »

Yeah so like I figured, aldermanic endorsements don’t matter.  Hopefully Brandon can actually implement BRT like he promised.  I’d like to not spend almost 2 hours commuting 5 miles anymore.  The trains will continue to be unrideable after 7 pm because of crime and Johnson thinks thats fine.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #746 on: April 05, 2023, 11:23:57 AM »

Alright, whichever one of you changed Vallas’s wiki page to say “perennial candidate”, you got a good laugh out of me.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #747 on: April 05, 2023, 11:45:02 AM »

Here's an interactive map of Round 2 (this one is better than others because the person running it is updating as mail votes come in):

https://election-night-map.web.app/Illinois/2023-Chicago-Mayoral/
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #748 on: April 05, 2023, 11:47:26 AM »

The Census Bureau actually released revised population numbers for the 2020 Census that showed IL on the whole gained population, so if anything, Chicago being undercounted is more likely.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #749 on: April 05, 2023, 11:53:46 AM »

The Census Bureau actually released revised population numbers for the 2020 Census that showed IL on the whole gained population, so if anything, Chicago being undercounted is more likely.

The idea that the 2020 census was somehow systematically a failure isn’t true. The census bureau’s “autopsy” estimated error similar to 2010

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2022/2020-census-estimates-of-undercount-and-overcount.html
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies