Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:46:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 915766 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« on: February 26, 2022, 03:47:36 PM »

Serbia and India are hardly alone in failing to condemn the Russian invasion:

Israel fails to sign onto US text condemning Russia at UNSC

You know, Israel should ask itself, who is allied with Iran, and  Hezbollah, Spoliler alert, it's Russia.

Oh, they know this.

Russia is on Israel's Syrian border. The status of Syria has basically boxed Israel in, forcing them to make nice with Putin even as Putin repeatedly stabs them in the back.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 09:34:49 AM »

Yeah, I fully expect this to be an attempt to assassinate Zelensky at the peace talks. Putin's not acting like he'll accept anything but full surrender, and that's not happening at the rate the war is actually going.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 09:37:16 AM »

Yeah, I fully expect this to be an attempt to assassinate Zelensky at the peace talks. Putin's not acting like he'll accept anything but full surrender, and that's not happening at the rate the war is actually going.

Zelensky hasn't confirmed he's going himself.

I think he's too smart for that, yeah - and don't be surprised if Putin uses that as an excuse to break off the talks because he's "insulted".
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 10:03:00 PM »

Retired Gen. Philip Breedlove on a no-fly zone. He supports it, but finds it unlikely to happen. Breedlove was Supreme Allied Commander Europe 2013-2016.

Wouldn’t an NFZ mean conventional fighting between NATO and Russian forces?
I want to do everything for Ukraine, but the risk of nuclear escalation from that is too great.
I’m open to calling the nuclear bluff.

Same. Putin is not launching nukes over being stopped in Ukraine, it's just not happening. He's not crazy. He knows that would mean Moscow and every other Russian city would be a mushroom cloud. The nuclear sabre-rattling just does not work on me anymore. When you threaten nuclear warfare any time the West breathe in a way you don't like, the threat has lost all potency.

I'm not entirely sure he isn't just that crazy, but I am convinced that whoever the nearest general to him isn't. So it amounts to the same thing.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 12:36:19 PM »

Russia rushing headlong into totalitarianism.

You're saying this as some sort of gotcha, while at the same time Russia Today is kicked off the air in the West, while everyone is feverishly cheering it (see the thread in USGD). Hypocrisy is an allowed rhetorical technique but it sure makes you look dumb when you try to claim the moral high ground.

The Washington Post is neither owned nor run by the US government, but you already know this. You just choose to come in here to constantly spam the same asinine posts. So fuck off, kindly.
^^^^^
What Boobs said.

WTF, again.

Not that I want to defend Rubio, but what is the big deal? Zelenskyy has given live addresses from the exact same location to crowds assembled in Tblisi and Prague and it's not like Rubio announced where exactly he is. Also, it was known last night that Zelenskyy would be addressing members of Congress.

Seriously, Zelensky determines his own risk tolerance, that's pretty clear.

And unless Rubio is deep-deep cover, I'm pretty sure he's not trying to sabotage him.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 07:58:28 PM »

Russia moving towards nationalizing foreign owned businesses.

Russia moved toward nationalizing businesses owned by the growing number of foreign firms that are exiting the country. A Russian government panel approved a bill that would allow firms that are more than 25 percent owned by businesses from “unfriendly states” to be put into external administration, according to a statement President Vladimir V. Putin’s party, United Russia, posted on its website. The statement said that the measure, to be proposed to the lower house of Russia’s Parliament, was aimed at preventing bankruptcies and preventing thousands of job losses.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/09/world/ukraine-russia-war

Yeah, all the businesses heading for the exit was not entirely about solidarity with Ukraine. Netflix was sort of a canary in the coal mine.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 12:46:23 PM »

Speaking of support for an alternative to the Western view on the war, here's Israeli PM Bennett's comments on the issue today:

On Monday, Israel sent an aid delegation to Ukraine to establish a field hospital. While at the airport to see the delegation off, Bennett gave a few remarks, saying Israel was "managing this unfortunate crisis with sensitivity, generosity and responsibility, while maintaining a balance between the various factors – and they are complex."

Hm... sounds similar to Chinese ambassador to the USA Qin Gang yesterday on CBS News?

AMB. QIN: China makes its observation and conclusion based independently- based on the merits of the matter itself. On the one hand, we uphold–

MARGARET BRENNAN: The United Nations Secretary General said Russia invaded–

AMB. QIN: we uphold– We uphold. On the one hand, China upholds the U.N. purposes and -- and the principles, including that- the respect for the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries, including Ukraine. On the other hand, we do see that there- there is a complexity in the history of the Ukraine issue. And we are–

To be fair, Israeli FM Yair Lapid did say that Israel will not become "route to bypass sanctions imposed on Russia by the United States and other Western countries.” So Israel's stance is a bit more pro-Western than China's. I guess all those years of unconditional support and billions (trillions?) of aid bought you something? LOL?

I've been calling them out for over a decade. You can thank the Ray Goldfields and Parrotguys of the world for trying to shut down debate at every turn by shouting "pogrom" and "blood libel" at the tamest criticism.

Israel is a terrible friend to America.

China doesn't have a mob of Russian troops on its borders, ready to give the Syrians the order to attack at the moment's notice. America helped to put Israel in that situation, and Israel has still managed to give far more per capita than the United States.

The smears from people like Kinzinger are genuinely disgusting, and seeing who the OP you're quoting is should give away just how bad-faith this whole line of conversation is.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 01:16:57 PM »

Speaking of support for an alternative to the Western view on the war, here's Israeli PM Bennett's comments on the issue today:

On Monday, Israel sent an aid delegation to Ukraine to establish a field hospital. While at the airport to see the delegation off, Bennett gave a few remarks, saying Israel was "managing this unfortunate crisis with sensitivity, generosity and responsibility, while maintaining a balance between the various factors – and they are complex."

Hm... sounds similar to Chinese ambassador to the USA Qin Gang yesterday on CBS News?

AMB. QIN: China makes its observation and conclusion based independently- based on the merits of the matter itself. On the one hand, we uphold–

MARGARET BRENNAN: The United Nations Secretary General said Russia invaded–

AMB. QIN: we uphold– We uphold. On the one hand, China upholds the U.N. purposes and -- and the principles, including that- the respect for the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries, including Ukraine. On the other hand, we do see that there- there is a complexity in the history of the Ukraine issue. And we are–

To be fair, Israeli FM Yair Lapid did say that Israel will not become "route to bypass sanctions imposed on Russia by the United States and other Western countries.” So Israel's stance is a bit more pro-Western than China's. I guess all those years of unconditional support and billions (trillions?) of aid bought you something? LOL?

I've been calling them out for over a decade. You can thank the Ray Goldfields and Parrotguys of the world for trying to shut down debate at every turn by shouting "pogrom" and "blood libel" at the tamest criticism.

Israel is a terrible friend to America.

China doesn't have a mob of Russian troops on its borders, ready to give the Syrians the order to attack at the moment's notice. America helped to put Israel in that situation, and Israel has still managed to give far more per capita than the United States.

The smears from people like Kinzinger are genuinely disgusting, and seeing who the OP you're quoting is should give away just how bad-faith this whole line of conversation is.
Nuh uh, you think Israel would have actually gotten so far without heavy Western support? Don’t give me that. And to claim that Arab opposition to Israel is a result of America is Lolworthy. And that “troops” bill crap isn’t an excuse either. South Korea has an even more deranged neighbor to the North for gosh sake. Look I was all for supporting Israel for geopolitical reasons…but if the government wants to betray us, then I guess that means we can reduce the amount of money we send there.

Israel’s behavior has been disgusting in this conflict, and if they pull this shtick much longer, I hope Biden reminds Bennett who calls the shots.

What are you even talking about? Israel hasn't "Betrayed" anyone - they've served as an honest broker in a near-impossible situation, mediating while still providing extensive aid. The idea that Israel should "give Ukraine an Iron Dome" is nonsense - not only would it take months to set up, but the interceptor missiles aren't designed to handle the larger Russian missiles.

The US failed to intercede against Assad's genocide in Syria, essentially allowing Putin to take charge of the area and giving Putin massive leverage over Israel. Israel issued a quick condemnation of the invasion when it happened, and Putin immediately started making threatening noises towards the Golan.

The simple fact is, virtually every accusation against Israel during this accusation has been a provable LIE.

"Israel refused to give Ukraine an iron dome!" - Lie. Zelensky never asked.

"Israel tried to convince Ukraine to surrender!" - Lie. Ukraine's government denied the unsourced report.

"Israel is helping Russia evade sanctions!" - Lie. They sent Abramovich on his way quickly, despite him being legally allowed to seek refuge (which he didn't, choosing Putin)

"Israel is refusing to cut off Russian currency!" - Lie. They did it a week before the Ukrainian foreign ministry was fooled by an out-of-date screenshot and nearly started an international incident.

I say this as someone who is strongly supportive of Ukraine, but this entire affair has been a repulsive display of how easy it is to spread a lie and demand the victim prove a negative.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 01:53:46 PM »

Well, perhaps the US will need Israel as a go between since apparently Putin took personally Biden calling him a war criminal, and the US ambassador was summoned to be informed that US-Russia ties are on the verge of collapse.

https://sports.yahoo.com/russia-summons-u-envoy-says-144600015.html

One of the many reasons I think the human species is tragically flawed, and really needs rewiring, is that even among informed and intelligent people is is just so hard to put one in the shoes of the other. Israel has a lot to lose arousing the Russian bear. Unless such losses are really necessary to take, because the consequences of not taking them are worse, it would seem that some slack should be extended. But no. Kick them off the island. It's the law of the jungle. Civilization is but a Potemkin village.

What's really warped is just how much of this is armchair diplomacy. No one knows what's going on behind the scenes and obviously both Zelensky and Putin keep on seeking out Israeli counsel.

I expect this kind of thing out of random commenters and idiot celebrities, but Kinzinger and Cheney really beclowned themselves yesterday and I'm a lot less sorry to see them likely be gone from Congress next year.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 12:44:55 PM »

Putin is calling in some more Nazis

Couldn't that turn Israel against Russia?

I would imagine a look at who Israel is quietly offering supplies and aid to currently would answer that question.

I doubt Russia using Israel's enemies in a foreign conflict would change that calculus much, given that Israel's head-down approach to the conflict is entirely based around not getting Putin angry.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 11:47:00 AM »

Guys guys, obviously genocide is bad, but it's important that we remain vigilant in case Ukraine hypothetically does something I imagined in my head that would make them worse than Russia. I am a very smart moderate.

Moderate? The people claiming Ukrainian atrocities are at the very tips of the horseshoe and getting closer and closer to holding hands.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:32:18 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2022, 11:50:46 AM by Primary the Squad »

This is a total farce. Russia attempting to annex territory they don't even fully control. What is this?

We need to increase military aid and supplies even more to put Ukraine in a position to reconquer all of its territory.

It's a twisted attempt to turn Ukraine into the aggressor. Ukraine trying to liberate their territory is now invading Russian territory, thus providing Putin the internal justification to start brutalizing Kyiv and Lviv again. Taking it even further, NATO weapons are now attacking Russia, according to his doctrine.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 05:42:02 PM »

Yeah, that's the right response, I think. Putin has made clear that he can't be given an off-ramp, but giving Russia an off-ramp after him is an important.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 05:20:40 PM »

Yeah, this guy's going to need to be taken out and soon. By far the most depraved member of Putin's inner circle.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 03:43:38 PM »

This makes me think that they're planning to consolidate the areas they have and try to shut down any opposition, then declare victory and threaten nuclear retaliation against anyone who "invades their territory". If they fail at that, Putin is probably done.

This won't be the end of it if they succeed, of course - they'll be looking to rebuild and attack again - but it's pretty clear Putin's dreams of conquering Ukraine and marching across Europe are already over.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2023, 04:24:06 PM »

He was always a fairly mainstream, old-school Republican, that one moment aside.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2023, 08:11:19 AM »

This is the most staged thing to ever be staged. Putin loves fake atrocities to justify real atrocities.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2023, 08:04:41 AM »

If you hate Israel so much, why the hell do you want their weapons?

I actually don't hate Israel (as opposed to Likudism, perhaps) but I really don't see what they have to gain from being pro-Russia in even a utilitarian sense - especially with the pervasive AS there.

It was pretty clear that Bennett and Lapid were just trying to keep Putin from retaliating, while Netanyahu is actually pro-Russian due to seeing a fellow authoritarian. Thing is, though, they get absolutely nothing out of either side - both countries have a pretty anti-Israel foreign policy.

My general belief is that Israel should help Ukraine to the best of its ability, but I become less firm in that with every lecture from a former Holocaust nation.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2024, 07:34:12 PM »

lmao, still hating Bernie after winning. What sore winners.

I challenge you to find me a single prominent online personality who supports Russia/Putin today and also supported any candidate other than Bernie Sanders or Trump's future VP Tulsi Gabbard in the 2020 primary.
Bernie himself has been consistently good on this topic though

Bernie's biggest problem is that he is a horrible judge of character, both in who he endorses and whose endorsements he accepts. He's surprisingly good on this issue, yes, but basically 90% of "Team Bernie" is monstrous and loud about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies