DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:41:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 271719 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:49:32 PM »

I saw this on the television in the break room at work as I was clocking out. Now, I'm home, and I am floored. Unfortunately, many of Trump's voters are already JUSTIFYING AND SUPPORTING THIS!  This is unacceptable! Trump is the worst President this country has ever had. Yes, he's worse than Buchanan and worse than Andrew Johnson. This should never have been allowed to happen.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:01:26 PM »

I am actually quaking in anger right now. Rarely do I have this kind of reaction to political news. The last time I had it was in response to the BLM riots last summer. And Trump is doing absolutely nothing in response to this. If he doesn't, he needs to be removed under the 25th Amendment as soon as possible.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:07:57 PM »

I am actually quaking in anger right now. Rarely do I have this kind of reaction to political news. The last time I had it was in response to the BLM riots last summer. And Trump is doing absolutely nothing in response to this. If he doesn't, he needs to be removed under the 25th Amendment as soon as possible.

What do you mean that trump " is doing absolutely nothing in response to this" !
He is partially to blame for creating it from the start, with his own words just an hour or two before it all took place.
Where is your head?

He's not calling out the National Guard or the Army to quell these anarchists. The Governors of Virginia and Maryland are having to step in. And yes, he is absolutely to blame for this. Not the media, not McConnell, not Biden, not Abrams, not Ossoff or Warnock, or the Governors of the states, or Pence, or anyone else...this is entirely Donald Trump's fault, and he has contributed to the creation of the greatest internal threat to our Republic since the Civil War.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:17:50 PM »

MY QUEEN IS ALIVE!

I agree with her, and I say this as someone who probably doesn't agree with her on many issues. Members of Congress, such as Hawley, Gohmert, Biggs, Gosar, Gaetz, Greene, etc. who have allowed this sedition to fester and grow should be expelled. Unfortunately, I don't expect it to happen, but people need to face consequences for this unacceptable behavior.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:25:45 PM »

Trump is claiming the election was stolen and that it was a "landslide". I tell you, the man just cannot stop lying. This is probably going to make things worse.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:38 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not buildings.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott link=topic=422360.msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

Are you trying to justify what these anarchists are doing?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:13 PM »

Mitt Romney blames Ted Cruz for this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/trump-supporters-storm-the-us-capitol-washington-dc

Staffers and members of Congress took cover as chaos broke out on the House floor, with Senator Mitt Romney reportedly yelling, “This is what you’ve gotten,” to his colleagues including Senator Ted Cruz, a vocal supporter of Trump’s crusade to delegitimize Joe Biden’s victory.

Romney is 100% correct.

Mitt Romney's vote to convict Trump is now fully and absolutely vindicated. Say what you will about his "47%" comments and all that, but he is truly being vindicated by history with this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »

Mitt Romney blames Ted Cruz for this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/trump-supporters-storm-the-us-capitol-washington-dc

Staffers and members of Congress took cover as chaos broke out on the House floor, with Senator Mitt Romney reportedly yelling, “This is what you’ve gotten,” to his colleagues including Senator Ted Cruz, a vocal supporter of Trump’s crusade to delegitimize Joe Biden’s victory.

Romney is 100% correct.

Mitt Romney's vote to convict Trump is now fully and absolutely vindicated. Say what you will about his "47%" comments and all that, but he is truly being vindicated by history with this.

Moreover, I'll add to this by saying that Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Lamar Alexander, and all the rest of them should be ashamed of themselves for not voting to convict Trump. These people could have stopped Trump and removed him before it came to this, but they did not.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 04:51:05 PM by TexasGurl »

I didn't condone or support the riots last year. They do not excuse what we're seeing today. This is unprecedented. The U.S. Capitol has never been stormed by anarchists in this manner before. These people are seeking to install Trump as a dictator and to destroy our democracy.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 04:56:16 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 06:51:16 PM by Calthrina950 »

Also, all the talking heads on CNN calling this a literal "insurrection" will get what they're asking for.  If you go too far in demonizing these protesters/rioters, then you will invariably create the very demons you're supposedly petrified by.  

Law enforcement has learned to deescalate situations for the sake of public safety (which appears to be what's going on at the moment); I only wish our news media had the same sense of civic responsibility.  

The true enemy of the people.  100%

Shame on you. Why are you justifying what these anarchists are doing? While I think the police and National Guards need to be careful with the strategy they pursue to deal with the anarchists, I don't think it is just to be blaming the media at this juncture for this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 04:57:19 PM »

They've made fools of themselves. This is the formal end of the MAGA movement.

Hopefully this is the pathetic end of something, and not the beginning.

I'm really worried for the Inauguration. They need to check security guidelines.

They must cancel all public ceremonies for the inauguration and make it a small, private affair. I wouldn't be risking anything at this juncture.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »

Also, all the talking heads on CNN calling this a literal "insurrection" will get what they're asking for.  If you go too far in demonizing these protesters/rioters, then you will invariably create the very demons you're supposedly petrified by. 

Law enforcement has learned to deescalate situations for the sake of public safety (which appears to be what's going on at the moment); I only wish our news media had the same sense of civic responsibility. 

The true enemy of the people.  100%

Been reporting your posts, its a shame to see posters here literally defending this insanity, especially on a forum dedicated to tracking elections... You know what the thugs here are trying to overturn....

My father, who as I've noted before is a Trump supporter, was trying to justify this as a "peaceful" protest and raising all the points about how the "government" isn't investigating Hunter Biden or the Democrats. He too thinks that the election is stolen. And some people at my job, as I was leaving, said the election was "rigged" and disagreed with me when I called this the "storming" of the Capitol.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 05:17:25 PM »

Trolling from an Islamist dictator:

Our country's international reputation has been permanently ruined because of Donald Trump. China, Russia, North Korea, and Iran must be dancing for joy at seeing this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 05:49:14 PM »

So...how does this influence the 2022 midterms?

There was already reason to believe they would be different than normal, especially after these run-offs, but now? I’m just gonna go ahead and call it: I think the GOP will have the most pathetic performance for an opposition party in Congress in generations. Between this, the vaccine, the economy roaring back... It will in the best of worlds be the roaring 20s but with Democrats instead of Republicans dominating.

Devil's advocate: we just saw, on live TV, that a large number of Americans in fact support this kind of action.

Agreed. We cannot forget that 74 million Americans-47% of the voting electorate-voted to reelect this man, and as I've noted above, I've already encountered coworkers and family members who are trying to rationalize or justify what these anarchists did. What this tells me is that this country is the closest to civil war that it has been in generations, and that racists, supremacists, and horrible people of all kinds are out there and are a danger to our Republic.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 06:07:35 PM »

I'm completely embarrassed.  We need Christ so badly!

No, Christ worshipping is what got us this.  You people never learn.  Ever.

I'd disagree. Not all religious people are to blame for this. Just look at the many faithful black churchgoers in Georgia who helped to carry Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff across the finish line.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »

Keep the anti Christian rhetoric out of it.

For the first time ever, I agree with you on something. My comment above expands on this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »

Trump’s whole video statement was a dogwhistle saying “I totally don’t support violence or anything but...” with a wink and nudge.

Then his Tweet was even more clear about his intentions.

That is what I thought as well when I saw it on television. Today has made it absolutely clear that Trump will never concede defeat, and he genuinely believes in the nonsense which he has peddled.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 07:05:41 PM »

Look at these disgraceful comments: https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2021/01/06/capitol-hill-violence-open-thread/#comment-636599. If anyone thought the minds and hearts of many Trump voters would be changed by what happened today, think again. Already, they're blaming the media, Democrats, "left-wing" activists, and other targets of the right for what happened today.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 07:09:39 PM »

Look at these disgraceful comments: https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2021/01/06/capitol-hill-violence-open-thread/#comment-636599. If anyone thought the minds and hearts of many Trump voters would be changed by what happened today, think again. Already, they're blaming the media, Democrats, "left-wing" activists, and other targets of the right for what happened today.

Please don't link or mention that drivelous site on here

Why should we not be aware of what these people are thinking? We must be cognizant of their views, because that will provide us a way to fight against what they promote in the future.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 07:23:20 PM »

Is it fair to say Hawley and Cruz are screwed as far as 2024?

Never say never, but I do think based on anecdotes that this has seriously damaged their reputations among a general electorate.

I despised Cruz from long before this, and I am certainly not even entertaining the thought of voting for Hawley now. At this point, I may vote for Kamala Harris (who I still dislike) against any plausible Republican nominee in 2024. I certainly would vote for Biden again if he runs for reelection.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »

The international community seems far more concerned and sickened by this than the Ukraine Scandal, Mueller Report, or even Charlottesville.

As late as it is for America, there might be a real chance the 25th amendment or an impeachment occurs here.

This is objectively worse than all three of those combined.  

I agree with you here. But it's astounding to me how all of these events occurred under just this President alone, to say nothing of the pandemic. In watching the media coverage, I was still shaken by seeing the members of Congress, their staffers, journalists, and members of law enforcement wearing masks, while virtually all of the anarchists were maskless. That was a visual reminder of the ongoing crisis which helped to cost Trump reelection, and which he so badly mismanaged. I don't think it's a stretch to say that every single American has been impacted negatively by this man, and the effects of his Presidency are going to last for decades to come.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »

She's trash.  Can NY gerrymander this worthless moron into oblivion?

I've lost all respect for Stefanik. Ever since the impeachment hearings, she's been a Trump lackey.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 08:25:36 PM »

She's trash.  Can NY gerrymander this worthless moron into oblivion?

I've lost all respect for Stefanik. Ever since the impeachment hearings, she's been a Trump lackey.

Crazy how she used to be a rising star with bipartisan appeal. Like so many others, she threw it all away and debased herself for a president who almost certainly doesn't know or care what her name is.

Agreed. What happened today has made me much more reluctant to support any Republicans for office in the future.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:18 PM »

My God....

Removed for violating Twitter rules. Anyone have a summary?

It was basically a what did you expect to happen when my landslide election was stolen from me.

I thought Twitter banned him for 12 hours?  How is he tweeting?

It's one of the tweets that Twitter deleted earlier. As happens often on the Internet, someone archived it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »

I changed to a red avatar. Time to close ranks and stand as one.

VARepublican has been pushing for everyone to adopt an avatar. I think this helps his effort.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies