The Romney Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:11:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Romney Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 38
Author Topic: The Romney Administration  (Read 104293 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 29, 2018, 02:33:01 AM »

Mitt Romney's Inaugural Address

Romney: Vice President Portman, Chief Justice Roberts, President Carter, President Clinton, President Bush , President Obama, members of Congress, distinguished guests , my fellow Americans :

Every 4 years we gather here to not only celebrate the inauguration of a president but to celebrate the strength of our democracy and our constitution. When our nation was founded we were the first modern nation to be a nation which believes a nation's strength comes from its people, not its government(Applause) and due to that we have become a beacon of liberty all across the world and made our nation the most prosperous nation in the history of the earth(Applause) . Due to that principle our nation has endured many crises and come out stronger after each one(Applause).

Over the past 8 years, our nation once again was faced with a great economic crises the Great Recession and the ongoing consequences of it and just like our nation has many times before we have come out stronger after this crises as well(Applause). We must also learn some lessons though from why we got into this crises in the first place and never repeat them again(Applause). One of the lessons were we must react and solve problems we have before those problems turn into crises and make sure those solutions are long-term solutions so a possibility of crises never come back up on those issues(Applause). The reason for that is simple we , solving problems when they are small are easier to solve when they become big(Applause) and can be solved without causing other consequences.

One of the problems we will face over the next decade is the interest payment on our debt is set to rise dramatically over the next few years and cause our deficit to go back up to over a trillion dollars again even if we are in a time of peace and prosperity. If we are not our deficits will be even larger and that could plunge our nation into a potential crisis we do not want to face and that is why we must deal with the problem now(Applause). The problem wont be easy but if we come together whether your a Democrat or Republican I am sure we can because our nation has solved tougher problems before and we will once again solve this one(Applause) and many others we face.

Thank You, May God Bless you and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #476 on: May 29, 2018, 02:50:44 AM »

Breaking News: All of Romney's New Cabinet Appointments have been approved by the Senate.

Senate and Governor Replacements for the Cabinet Appointees:

Attorney General Brian Sandoval(R-NV) will be replaced by Lieutenant Governor Mark Hutchison

Energy Secretary Joe Manchin(D-WV) will be replaced by Former West Virginia Secretary of State Natalie Tennant

Special Election Date : None since there are less than two years left in the current term

Agriculture Secretary Terry Branstad(R-IA) will be replaced by Lieutenant Governor Kim Reynolds

HHS Secretary Mia Love(R-UT) will be replaced by a Special Election on June 20th 2017

UN Ambassador Nikki Haley(R-SC) will be replaced by Lieutenant Governor Henry McMaster

OMB Director Mark Sanford(R-SC) will be replaced by a Special Election on June 20th 2017

PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #477 on: May 29, 2018, 05:17:30 AM »

This timeline while good, is too slow, needs to speed up a tad,, and perhaps add a bit more "juice" to the storyline.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #478 on: May 29, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2018, 01:56:54 PM by Old School Republican »

This timeline while good, is too slow, needs to speed up a tad,, and perhaps add a bit more "juice" to the storyline.

What do you mean by too slow, if you mean updates I wont be able to speeden that up for at least 3 more weeks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #479 on: May 29, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2018, 02:17:17 PM by Old School Republican »

Romney proposes a constitutional amendment to reform the budgetary process

Summary of Amendment:

- Requires 2/3 of both houses of Congress to approve any budget which results in Federal Net Outlays surpassing 20% of GDP

- If Congress is unable to approve a budget, spending will be automatically capped at the previous years levels. If Congress is unable to approve a budget and if Federal Net Outlays of the previous year was above 20% of GDP, spending will be automatically cut across the board until the Federal Net Outlays drops below 20% of GDP.

- Bans all earmark and pork barrel spending

For the Amendment to pass, the amendment will need the support of 7 Democratic Senators, 20 Democratic Representatives, and 5 states which either have split legislatures or are fully controlled by the Democrats.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #480 on: May 29, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »

Romney Gives the 2017 State of the Union Address:

Romney:Thank You, Thank You. Mr. Vice President, Mr.Speaker, and members of Congress: I want to start off by congratulating the newly elected members here (Applause) and give some advice. My advice would be to remember that the American people elected all of us not because they wanted us to represent our political parties but they elected us so we can represent America(Applause). So I will be looking forward to working with you for the next 4 years and hopefully be more successful at that then we were in the last 4 years. One way we must do that is by responding to problems now even if they are small problems so they dont turn into a crisis (Applause).

The first problem we must deal with is the fact that interest payments on our debt are set to skyrocket over the next few years and due to that our deficits are expected to once again surpass 1 trillion dollars by 2021 and that is if we dont have to face any crises such as a recession or war. This is why it is critical we do something about the problem by now so our deficits never go that high again(Applause). This is why I have proposed a constitutional amendment which requires 2/3 of both houses of Congress to approve any budget which results in Federal Net Outlays surpassing 20% of GDP and automatically cuts spending from a budget the next year if 2/3 of Congress doenst approve that budget again(Applause). What this will do is make sure that a simple majority in Congress whether Democrat or Republican are able to increase spending in areas which just benefits their special interest groups(Standing Ovation) . This amendment should have total bipartisan support because I know Republicans complain about spending taxpayer money on things that only benefit the Democratic Special Interest Groups and Democrats complain about spending money on things that only benefit the Republican Speical Interest Groups(Laughter) and what this does is effectively stop either party from doing so(Applause). Also what this amendment will do is most importantly open up debate on what our spending priorities should be , instead of coming up with deals which while is liked by both parties its hurts the American People(Applause).

The second problem we fix is our crumbling infrastructure (Applause). Our nation was given a grade of D+ which by the way is not even a passing grade and that in my opinion is unacceptable. One way we are able to do that is by getting our budget under control so we do indeed have the money to do things like rebuilding our infrastructure(Applause) . This is why a few months ago I signed an executive order which authorizes the research in finding out what type of infrastructure each area needs cause each area needs a different one , and the reason why that is important is for areas which are stuck in the dial-up age what we would need to do is to expand broadband access to those areas so people living there can use WIFI which then makes their areas more attractive for commerce(Applause) which means a better economy fo that areas while a big city which is having lots of trouble with traffic due to not having enough lanes will need to expand the number of lanes on the freeway. Both not having good internet access or not having good roads in your city negatively effect the cities abiity to attract more commerce. Lastly creating new infrastructure can lead to discoveries in new technologies which could be used to help reduce the effects of problems such as climate change and greatly improve the quality of life in areas which are struggling right now(Applause).

The last and most important thing we must do is keep the American people safe. One way we must do that is by making sure Iraq remains a thriving and stable democracy(Applause). The post war situation this time around is also going much better than it did 10 years ago with little to no real insurgency fighting us there and we must keep it that way(applause). Terrorists thrive when countries are unstable and insurgencies create instability so we must continue to make sure any potential Insurgency gets squashed before it can become big. While that may require keeping some troops in Iraq in the long run , remember we have kept troops in Germany and South Korea for longer and the troops who are fighting in Iraq wont be there to fight most of the battles but rather to advise, train and stand by as a final defense(Applause). We also must make sure Iran never gets a nuke because if they do they will be a threat to this world and we must continue to work to pacify tensions between the Koreas as another war would be disastrous for the world . This means working with our allies around the world to make sure we not only keep the peace but make the world more peaceful(Applause)

Thank You , May God Bless you , and May God Bless America.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #481 on: May 30, 2018, 12:46:58 AM »

New Jersey Senator Cory Booker gives the Democratic Response to the State of the Union

Booker: Good Evening , today I would like to talk to you about the different issues the President brought up in his speech. I want to start of though by congratulating the President for his victory last November and let him no that I am looking forward and willing to work with him over the next 4 years to make the nation we all love a better place. I also want to commend the President for recognizing that we must solve problems we have before they turn into big ones and potential crises. The First Issue the President talked about was the fact that our deficit will skyrocket over the next 4 years due to an increase in interest expenses and he is right about the fact that we need to solve that , but where we disagree is in how we would go around to fixing the problem.

The President believes the best way to solve this problem is by passing a constitutional amendment which caps the amount the federal government can spend unless the budget is approved by 2/3 of Congress. The first reason I disagree with this is because to achieve that limit we may have to cut programs the American people benefit from and while I agree we need to cut spending we also need to raise revenues. The reason for that is even if we cut all the wasteful spending we have from the government we will still be unable to balance the budget which means that the only way we can do is by either cutting programs which help the middle class and poor Americans or sacrifice our national defense and I think doing either is a mistake. Instead, I believe we should ask Americans who are making $500,000 dollars are more to pay a little more in taxes so we can continue to spend money on things which help make out nation better. The tax rate I believe we should tax them at is 39.6% which is the same rate they were paying in the 1990s which was the decade in which we ran a surplus and had the greatest economic expansion in our history so its proven to work and it really doenst require much increases in taxes. Not only will that little tax increase allow us to continue to spend money on things we need to spend money on but to spend money on infrastructure as well.

Lastly the President talked about was keeping Iraq stable and I agree with him that it is important as we dont want to be fighting another war there 5 years from now. What I believe though is the President should work with us in Congress to craft a strategy so we are all on the same page and in my opinion that will help our efforts there better as well.

Thank You , May God Bless You and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #482 on: May 31, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »

Every Department which receives more than 50 billion dollars annually will be Audited After due to a new executive order

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #483 on: May 31, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »

I T S B A C K
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #484 on: June 01, 2018, 12:33:20 AM »

Breaking News: ISIS has been totally defeated as Allied forces now control all of Iraq and Syria, and have squashed any attempt by ISIS to start an insurgency.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #485 on: June 01, 2018, 12:36:31 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2018, 12:45:24 AM by Old School Republican »

Romney's Approval Rating(3/8/17):

Approve: 73%(+9%)
Disapprove: 25%%(-10%)
Neither: 2%(+1%)

House Generic Ballot:

Republicans: 56%(+4%)
Democrats: 41%(-3%)

John King: So Romney has surpassed the previous high mark of his presidency of 69% after the recent news that Total Victory over ISIS has been achieved. Also either this or his approval ratings over the course of the next two weeks will remain the high point of his presidency. Similarly, for the Republicans, this lead they have in the House Generic Polls either now or in the next two weeks will likely also remain their high point for not only the rest of Romney's presidency but for quite a long time as well.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #486 on: June 01, 2018, 12:53:30 AM »

UN announces Post-War strategy in Iraq

Strategy:

- UN will Keep 20,000 Troops in Baghdad and half of those will be American troops

- The Troops will only be there for advisory, training situations and will not be deployed for Combat unless there is an emergency
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #487 on: June 01, 2018, 02:27:53 AM »

Romney talks with the Communications Director on how he can effectively use the bully pulpit to get the Budget Amendment passed(Private Conversation)

Romney: This is going to be the toughest fight of my presidency so far so if I am to succeed to win , I will need a lot of grassroots support.

Communications Director: Problem is unlike other issues, this issue is not an issue many people are informed about and unless that happens to utilize grassroots support wont work.

Romney: Well the problem is for people to be informed it needs to be an issue the media talks about a lot . Unfortunately, this is an issue the media talks about once in while when the deficit becomes the story of the day or even week but after that the issue is no longer talked about as the media really only likes to talk about the issue of the day or cover stories which would give them ratings. So how will we get the message out

Communications Director: Well that is true while the issue of budgetary reform might not be the story of the day or the flash story the media will cover but a Presidential statement will be.

Romney: I cant do a press conference every day

Communications Director: No but you can use social media to do so. If you personally tweet for example on the issue it could create a lot of Buzz that will 1. allow you to bypass the media 2 force the media to cover it. For Example on day 1 you can tweet two things: How the deficit is expected to surpass 1 trillion dollars by 2021 if we refuse to do anything and 2. Tweet that is with Peace and Prosperity imagine how large it will be if there is an emergency. Then you hashtag both Budget Reform Amendment. If you do that you will force the media to talk about these issues when they read your tweets for at least a few days, and then once the issue died down you can send that tweet again but just worded differently and the media will be forced to talk about this important issue again and if we can keep doing this we can make this issue one of the top issues the media talks about.

Romney: But we still need to use traditional methods

Communication Director: Of Course for example when the Audit is released I think you should do an oval office address talking about it and why it is a problem. Than once this issue becomes an issue many Americans have become informed about, you can move on to the grassroots strategy to pass this.

Romney: Ok thanks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #488 on: June 01, 2018, 03:41:57 AM »

Romney Sends out First Tweets on Personal Account:

Tweet 1: While our current deficit is already too high, due to a dramatic increase in interest expenses over the next will cause our deficit to once again surpass $ 1 trillion dollars by 2021. Allowing our deficit to get that high again is unacceptable and that is why we must pass the #Budget Reform Amendment

Tweet 2: Our deficit will be even higher in a 2021 , if our nation has to faces crises like war. It is better if that problem never arises, so that is why we must pass the #Budget Reform Amendment
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #489 on: June 01, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2018, 11:00:41 PM by Old School Republican »

François Fillon  elected French President, defeating the Far Right Candidate Marine Le-Pen in a landslide

First Round Results:

François Fillon 21.5%
Marine Le-Pen 20.9%
Emmanual Macron 20.7%
Jean-Luc Mélenchon 19.6%
Benoît Hamon 6.5%
Nicolas Dupont-Aignan 5.4%
Others 5.4%

Second Round Results:

François Fillon 64.9%
Marine Le-Pen 35.1%
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #490 on: June 01, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »

Who’s sec of state?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #491 on: June 01, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »

Robert Zoellick
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #492 on: June 01, 2018, 03:59:23 PM »

Still?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #493 on: June 01, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »

He has been Sec of State for less then 4 months , he was Romney’s National Security Advisor during his first term (Richard Lugar was Sec of State then )
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #494 on: June 01, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »

Sorry got him mixed with Richard Lugar
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2018, 01:39:11 AM »

Noooo Macron... Rip best world leader Sad
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #496 on: June 02, 2018, 05:00:50 AM »

Romney Sends out First Tweets on Personal Account:

Tweet 1: While our current deficit is already too high, due to a dramatic increase in interest expenses over the next will cause our deficit to once again surpass $ 1 trillion dollars by 2021. Allowing our deficit to get that high again is unacceptable and that is why we must pass the #Budget Reform Amendment

Tweet 2: Our deficit will be even higher in a 2021 , if our nation has to faces crises like war. It is better if that problem never arises, so that is why we must pass the #Budget Reform Amendment

I am liking this timeline.  However, there is no way that Democrats will support this (or even Republicans tbh).  The system relies too much on pork barrel spending.  Plus pretty much every respectable economist would slam this plan as being unsuitable for a financial crisis when you automatically need to spend more money to make up for the adverse shock in demand (which both W and Obama did incidentally)
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #497 on: June 02, 2018, 05:04:01 AM »

François Fillon  elected French President, defeating the Far Right Candidate Marine Le-Pen in a landslide

First Round Results:

François Fillon 23.5%
Marine Le-Pen 20.7%
Emmanual Macron 20.4%
Jean-Luc Mélenchon 19.3%
Benoît Hamon 6.1%
Nicolas Dupont-Aignan 5.2%
Others 4.8%

Second Round Results:

François Fillon 64.9%
Marine Le-Pen 35.1%

Okay time out…this part is somewhat off the rails.  Speaking as someone who is half French how would this TL change history to allow Fillon to win?  I get Brexit not happening because Romney was not as public as Obama about it (and yay) but Fillon's defeat was due to a massive nepotism scandal that I don't see Romney really changing.  Please explain how Fillon would win because this part is a bit confusing and I don't see how this TL would have caused this (or at least caused this without a complete collapse in PS numbers)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #498 on: June 02, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »

First Round Results:

François Fillon 23.5%
Marine Le-Pen 20.7%
Emmanual Macron 20.4%
Jean-Luc Mélenchon 19.3%
Benoît Hamon 6.1%
Others 4.8%

Second Round Results:

François Fillon 64.9%
Marine Le-Pen 35.1%

Okay time out…this part is somewhat off the rails.  Speaking as someone who is half French how would this TL change history to allow Fillon to win?  I get Brexit not happening because Romney was not as public as Obama about it (and yay) but Fillon's defeat was due to a massive nepotism scandal that I don't see Romney really changing.  Please explain how Fillon would win because this part is a bit confusing and I don't see how this TL would have caused this (or at least caused this without a complete collapse in PS numbers)

I definitely don't like Fillon winning, but I think in this TL it's explained as a part of a global right-wing trend where the establishment right does well in elections. It's possible that an alternate history will have many different changes. However, yeah, I don't see Fillon overcoming this scandal and actually beating both Macron and Le Pen in the first round.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #499 on: June 02, 2018, 06:28:40 AM »

First Round Results:

François Fillon 23.5%
Marine Le-Pen 20.7%
Emmanual Macron 20.4%
Jean-Luc Mélenchon 19.3%
Benoît Hamon 6.1%
Others 4.8%

Second Round Results:

François Fillon 64.9%
Marine Le-Pen 35.1%

I definitely don't like Fillon winning, but I think in this TL it's explained as a part of a global right-wing trend where the establishment right does well in elections. It's possible that an alternate history will have many different changes. However, yeah, I don't see Fillon overcoming this scandal and actually beating both Macron and Le Pen in the first round.

I guess the global centre-right just is more popular in this TL, maybe because of Romney's successes. And I don't think Fillon was lost at all. Penelopegate wasn't the only way he screwed up, his campaign was terrible and his platform cost him some votes (even though it was admirable). I don't think Fillon getting to 23-24% or so in round 1 and beating Le Pen in round 2 is far-fetched at all if he had run a good campaign or if he aced the debates like he did in the right-wing primaries. He was close to qualifying to round 2 irl anyway, but he probably wouldn't have beaten Macron (even in this TL).
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 38  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies