What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:47:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 126 ... 212
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 636730 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3000 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »

Moon

Greatly enjoyed it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3001 on: October 13, 2009, 02:27:23 AM »

Jackie Brown

Way too long. Great soundtrack though.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3002 on: October 13, 2009, 03:51:58 AM »

500 days of Summer. It was pretty good, I liked it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3003 on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »

Face/Off, 1997 action film with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. Excellent.

Die Hard 2, 1990 sequel with Bruce Willis. This time, it's Christmas Eve 1990 and John McClane has to kick butt at Washington Dulles Airport.

Die Hard: With a Vengeance, 1995 sequel with Bruce Willis. Back in New York City, stopping more bad guys. Classic action, only with some Samuel L. Jackson this time.

Gone Fishin', 1997 comedy with Joe Pesci and Danny Glover as two guys from Newark, New Jersey who travel to the Everglades to go fishing and wind up in trouble. Funny!

Hollywood Homicide, 2003 action/comedy with Harrison Ford and Josh Hartnett as two L.A.P.D. officers. Pretty good.

Witness, 1985 suspense film with Harrison Ford as a Philadelphia police officer who winds up trying to protect a murder witness, a young Amish boy, by shacking up on the farm and falling for the boy's widow mother. Very very good movie.

For Richer or Poorer, 1997 comedy film with Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley as a rich, soon-to-be-divorced New York City couple who, on the run from IRS agents, pose as cousins to an Amish family in Pennsylvania.

Nighthawks, 1981 suspense thriller with Sylvester Stallone as a NYPD officer who has to take down a ruthless international terrorist. Very good.

Way Way Out, 1966 comedy with Jerry Lewis as an Air Force meteorologist who is sent to the moon in the year 1989.

The King of Comedy, 1983 dark comedy with Robert Deniro and Jerry Lewis. Excellent.

The Delicate Delinquent, 1957 comedy with Jerry Lewis as a young nobody who befriends police officer Darren McGavin and decides to become a cop himself.

Rock a Bye Baby, 1957 comedy with Jerry Lewis who has to take care of his childhood girlfriend's three babies.

K-PAX, 2001 drama with Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges about a man at a psychiatric institute who is convincing when he claims he is from the planet "K-PAX". Very good.

American Beauty, 1999 dark comedy/drama classic with Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Thora Birch and Mena Suvari. Excellent, classic. I think basically everyone saw this, like myself, back almost a decade ago when it was a massive hit.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3004 on: October 15, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »

Lost in Translation

Any movie that opens up with a close-up on Scarlett Johansson's ass probably deserves a positive review.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3005 on: October 17, 2009, 05:30:15 AM »

Adventureland

Pretty good. The ending wrapped things up a little too perfectly for my tastes though.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3006 on: October 17, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

Zombieland - Really good.  Enjoyable, and also a somewhat scary at times.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3007 on: October 17, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »

Couples' Retreat - was not as bad as I thought based on the reviews and based on the way it was made. This is the perfect movie for watching in a large theater. The jokes are funny enough that people around you laughing will tickle your funny bone, but not funny enough that you'd laugh by yourself if you were watching it with a few friends at home. Where I do agree with the critics is the unrealistic (and probably unhealthy) ending. C.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3008 on: October 17, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »

Adventureland

Pretty good. The ending wrapped things up a little too perfectly for my tastes though.

One interpretation is that the ending is just a fantasy of his on the bus. Makes more sense, the odds of something like that happening New York City by chance are pretty astronomical.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #3009 on: October 17, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »

Simon's desert. Very funny.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3010 on: October 17, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »

Adventureland

One interpretation is that the ending is just a fantasy of his on the bus. Makes more sense, the odds of something like that happening New York City by chance are pretty astronomical.

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3011 on: October 17, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »

Where the Wild Things Are. My, my. Spike Jonze has turned a classic picture book of less than 10 pages into a generation X psychological thriller. This is not a children's movie. It is about the dark recesses of the mind. It is unique and very powerful, if only occasionally fun. B+.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3012 on: October 18, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2009, 02:42:24 AM by Now there's more than one. No, there's only one. »

Also Where The Wild Things Are and if I were 10, this would've freaked the hell out of me. I actually thought the best part honestly was the first 15 minutes, before Max traveled to the wild things. Watched out of context, I would've believed this to be from some super-low budget minimalist indie drama. After that it becomes a children's movie that is fun at first, but eventually becomes what Beet described. While it might give kids some appreciation for their parents with the ending, I'm not sure parents would consider that worth the questions they'd get on the ride home.

On a side note if there was an Academy Award for voice acting, Lauren Ambrose should win hands down.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3013 on: October 18, 2009, 03:40:02 AM »

I'll probably go see it during the week. I'm glad to hear that you guys liked it.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3014 on: October 19, 2009, 01:01:14 AM »

Taxi Driver
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3015 on: October 19, 2009, 02:07:31 AM »

Do you now see the similarity to the end of Observe & Report?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3016 on: October 19, 2009, 02:16:56 AM »

Away We Go.

Allison Janey was the best part. She needed a way bigger role. The movie should've probably ended 15 minutes earlier and the ending was really cheesy. Outside of that it was worth seeing.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3017 on: October 19, 2009, 03:15:14 AM »

Just saw Paranormal Activity. It was a decently scary movie but only because it makes you think it could plausibly happen to you. Basically the same reason why I thought The Exorcism Of Emily Rose was kind of scary. It was also surprisingly funny at times so overall I would recommend it. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3018 on: October 19, 2009, 03:59:40 AM »

I really wasn't thinking about it at the time but I guess.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #3019 on: October 19, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »

A Home at the end of the World (2004)

Colin Farrell. Enough said. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3020 on: October 19, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »

A Home at the end of the World (2004)

Colin Farrell. Enough said. Tongue

I thought that movie was boring and predictable. Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3021 on: October 19, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »

Just saw Paranormal Activity. It was a decently scary movie but only because it makes you think it could plausibly happen to you. Basically the same reason why I thought The Exorcism Of Emily Rose was kind of scary. It was also surprisingly funny at times so overall I would recommend it. 

That movie is making a ridiculous amount of money. I think it averaged like $25k per theater this weekend.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3022 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »

Not exactly films, but I recently watched Karaoke and Cold Lazarus on the internets (they're on 4od. Which is good because the fact that they were a joint BBC-Channel Four production caused all sorts of problems regarding repeat broadcasts, DVD's...). My current username is that of a character in Cold Lazarus who kills off something like half the cast but is still, more or less, a hero in an oddly traditional sense (emphasis on "oddly", though). Karaoke is about as close to being a "typical" Dennis Potter work as there is - a beautifully twisted plot structure, various forms of repitition, use of lip-synching popular songs, an association of sex with abuse and violence, a main character with many shared features of Potter but numerous important differences, the bizarre reality of illness and hospitals, fun with semiotics, prostitution and the sleazier side of urban life generally, subtle religious themes, acidic comment on society, class, the media and consumer culture... and many other things including a total rejection of realisim. Cold Lazarus is different. The religious, ethical and political themes are far more overt (especially the former), there's a much more constant bleak-satirical feel to much of it, and the setting (an impressively bleak futuristic dystopia) is an unusual one for Potter. But it isn't really sci-fi; the futuristic setting is largely an excuse to attack much about society and the media at the time Potter was writing/dying (one character is obviously based on Rupurt Murdoch - and dies horribly, of course) and it is, in many ways, a strongly anti-modern, anti-technology work. Predictably there are echoes of 1984 and of Brave New World though the latter might not be intentional (the former certainly is). There are also numerous echoes with Karaoke and it can't really be watched without seeing it (Karaoke) first. There are problems with it, largely stylistic flaws by the production team in a couple of places, but they don't detract from the astonishing power of the work. There's more to say than that, but this'll do.

Of course if you don't "get" Potter, then both will make absolutely no sense whatsoever. But if you do, they're worth seeing.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3023 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »

Bruno.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35