What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:27:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 630617 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: March 07, 2006, 10:11:51 PM »

Blade Runner, a great film
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 12:30:21 AM »

Frodo- Not only you are a hypocrite, you're a homophobe. 

And that right there is exactly the queer agenda. If you disagree with their position and where they stand. Start personally attacking them. Very petty.

How is it 'personally attacking' someone to say that they hate homosexuals when their position is that they hate homosexuals?

How exactly do I 'hate' gays?  Certainly I am uncomfortable and squeemish watching gay sex scenes (as most heterosexual men generally would be -perhaps you and Pym are the exceptions), and I have serious reservations about letting gays and lesbians marry each other -that however does not equate in making me a 'homophobe' and that I 'hate' them for who they are.  I am not 'out to get them' by campaigning for gay marriage bans or for stripping them of their civil rights, and denying them their right to at least enter into civil unions.

I hardly think Frodo is the type that guys like Pym ought to be worrying about... at least for this side of the Atlantic.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:04:07 AM »

The Hours

maniacal, suicidal, and strange. but deep. somehow very deep.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:42:40 AM »

Scarface
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »

Babel was okay. I'd give it a 6. It was difficult to watch however because you know something bad is going to happen, and of course, it does. It also got a little preachy at one point. Overall though it wasn't too bad.

Little Miss Sunshine was very funny. Best comedy this year, IMO. I also liked Borat, but it was a little painful to watch at times as well, mostly because of the stupidity shown seriously.

The last movie I watched was The Bridge on the River Kwai. Absolutely amazing. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 12:24:28 AM »

That movie gave me nightmares as a kid. To be fair I was like 8 years old.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 01:50:29 AM »

Dreamgirls, Blood Diamond, and Apocalypto.

Jake has good taste.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 10:27:18 PM »

Pan's Labyrinth as well. The theater was packed, but I spent a good deal of the time cringing at at the caricaturization, which only in retrospect seems self-conscious, and the predictability of a few of the scenes. Leaving the theater I thought it was more of a 85, rather than a 98, which it got on Tomatometer. It's grown on me in the past couple days though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Technically doesn't count as I've seen it before - but that was over ten years ago. I wasn't even aware that Di Caprio is in it.

Di Caprio was in it? I've seen it prolly 2-3 times but that was before Di Caprio became famous.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:52:39 AM »

The Queen, I was very impressed with everyone's preformance, especially the guy who played Blair.

As was I... a pleasant surprise as I thought it was going to be bad simply because the subject matter sounded boring.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 12:26:24 AM »

I just got back from 'The Last King of Scotland'. Very intriguing character studies. Whew.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »

Cop Unbowed
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 10:30:25 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2007, 10:40:18 PM by thefactor »

Das Leben der Anderen / The Lives of Others. Not sure what to say! This year there were at least two very strong foreign language contenders, this and El Laberinto del fauno / Pan's Labyrinth, all I can say is while both are amazing I can definitely see how this one won the nod. I can't recommend it strongly enough.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thats funny, my friend thinks Ferrell isn't good anymore because he started relying too much on slapstick humor in Anchorman, compared to when he was on SNL.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 08:10:06 PM »

Transformers- I hate pretty much all big ticket blockbusters, and this one is no exception.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 10:01:52 PM »

Good.

Good.

Here's an old one-- School for Scoundrels (1960 version). It was absurd and not laugh-out-loud funny, but amusing. British humor rarely disappoints.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 09:36:34 PM »

No Country For Old Men

The tensest movie I've seen in a long time.  Damn.  There were a lot of times I just didn't want to look at the screen in anticipation.  But excellent.

It was some f'ed up nihilistic sh*t. But it was well done. Though I would feel a lot more comfortable seeing it again, just because I can get past some of the tension. That scene where Javier Bardem's character asks the clerk to flip a coin will stick with me for a while. I wonder how much the Coen brothers actually buy into the nihilism, though. In common with Fargo they seem to enjoy exploring the hopelessness and pathetic quality of life in small town America. It's the creation of something attractive to the viewer (or to some viewers) by exploiting the suffering of others. It seems like artists are more likely to buy into nihilism, perhaps because morality just constrains art; or perhaps that's the way it feels to artists.

Been a while since I saw one in theaters...that would be Michael Clayton last month.

Once in six months... is a long time. I've been there.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 01:15:30 AM »

American Gangster

A new twist (black gangster) to the old story of rise and fall. Denzel had a good performance, and Crowe a weaker one, but some of that must go to the script- Crowe's character wasn't written as interestingly.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 11:50:08 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2007, 11:51:57 PM by thefactor »

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Not nearly as disturbing as I thought it would be. But very educational. Before I saw this movie it had never really clicked in my mind where the term "camcorder" came from. I guess I knew that it was a combination of "camera" and "recorder" in the back of my mind, but when I was a kid camcorder just meant to be a mini camera.
Cool. I guess my cell phone is a camcorder too.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 01:38:52 AM »

The Golden Compass

People protesting this movie is about the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long while. The only thing for religious people to get upset about is the manifestation of the soul as another entity which is depicted as free thinking and as a separate "being". The Magisterium is portrayed more as Big Brother than as the RCC or some religious body. I felt the movie had a far, far greater anti-authority message than anti-religion.

The Magisterium headquarters looks like Vatican City, and its officials are dressed like clergy. They are trying to suppress the findings of a prominent scientist. Plus, the Magisterium is associated with the original sin myth later in the film.

The Magesterium troops reminded me of storm troops guarding a concentration camp, Ms. Coulter had a 1930's style haircut and travelled around in a zeppelin. The good guys are the English kids, an American ("it's your war too, although you don't realize it yet"), and a 'multinational' force including a bear. World War 2 again? Go figure.

I've stopped noticing CGI a long time ago, but it is remarkably good.

There have been a number of kids films with more adult themes that have come out this decade, or kids films that also appeal to adults, some more successful than others. It started as far back as Shrek which lightly put a different twist on traditional fairy tales. On the other hand you have films like Pan's Labyrinth which were basically adult films not for kids at all, but still try to fit into the fair tale structure. Somewhere in the middle are the later Harry Potter movies. Then there are kids films which are also enjoyable for adults like Finding Nemo. The kid/adult split is has definitely gotten blurred.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 04:52:51 PM »

Who's Camus Anyway?

He was a French existentialist. Disturbing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2007, 02:05:28 PM by thefactor »

The Namesake, better than I thought.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »

Mulholland Dr.

A very aesthetic and artsy thriller/horror, abeit one without a clear plot. What remains of the plot moves slowly at times and it is too long. I would say overrated, but the originality aspect was certainly intruiging.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 12:07:54 AM »

The Roundhay Garden Scene

The movements do not look natural. The man in the forefront is walking around in a circle, and the woman behind him is twisting about. It presents a highly disjointed look and feel.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 11:00:50 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2007, 11:31:56 PM by thefactor »

Mulholland Dr.

A very aesthetic and artsy thriller/horror, abeit one without a clear plot. What remains of the plot moves slowly at times and it is too long. I would say overrated, but the originality aspect was certainly intruiging.

It does have a fairly clear plot. Ok, not exactly clear, but there is a story there (about the girl murdering her lesbian lover out of jealousy and then trying to run away from the fact by making up some fantasy).

Source?

... Ah, I have just read an explanation on the internet that fits it together... for the most part.

I will confess that that particular twist was hard for me to see because I was more involved in the plotline and attracted to the characters in the 'dream' plot myself!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 02:37:42 PM »

Raging Bull

Pretty much what I expected. Best part? The movie's total focus on the portrayal of one man. Worst part? The movie's total focus on the portrayal of one (rather simple) man.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies