1st Presidential Debate Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:06:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st Presidential Debate Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 37
Author Topic: 1st Presidential Debate Megathread  (Read 47724 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: September 29, 2020, 11:34:33 PM »

The polls are gonna look the same way after the debate due to fact voters agree with Biden on issues. These debates don't sway voters, they are for viewership
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #726 on: September 29, 2020, 11:51:26 PM »

Here are some assorted headlines from tonight. I appreciate that the Fox headline isn't clear on whether Trump told Biden that he (Biden) wasn't smart or that he (Trump) wasn't smart.

Hollywood
« Reply #727 on: September 29, 2020, 11:52:02 PM »

Thanks, Trump.

Remember, if you support Trump, you are a literal Nazi supporter. The facade is gone.

I don't think Biden caught that.
I was immediately going crazy when trump said/ordered the Proud Boys to "stand by."
On Nov 4/5th expect trump to go on national TV, and in code, tell the Proud Boys to "Execute Order 66" or something.
What a mess of an Orange Fascist Bast**d.

That was one of the least bad gaffes.  Biden had some weird fascist moments in that debate, and including his demand that "he was the Democrat Party". my entire watch party started to looking around at each other like, "Did he just say that?"   That gave me flashbacks to a Napoleon statement where he said, "I am the French Revolution."  
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #728 on: September 29, 2020, 11:54:32 PM »

Thanks, Trump.

Remember, if you support Trump, you are a literal Nazi supporter. The facade is gone.

I was immediately going crazy when trump said/ordered the Proud Boys to "stand by."
On Nov 4/5th expect trump to go on national TV, and in code, tell the Proud Boys to "Execute Order 66" or something.

That was one of the least bad gaffes.  Biden had some weird fascist moments in that debate, and including his demand that "he was the Democrat Party". my entire watch party started to looking around at each other like, "Did he just say that?"   That gave me flashbacks to a Napoleon statement where he said, "I am the French Revolution."  
Your party is as real as Trump’s tan
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #729 on: September 30, 2020, 12:03:15 AM »

Tonights drinking game courtesy of the Washingtonian

Take a sip when Trump:
Says “yuge”
Says “Jina” (China)
Talks about his admiration for any totalitarian world leader
Makes any false claims related to coronavirus and our pandemic response
Complains about mysterious voter fraud
Accuses Biden of wanting to defund the police

Take a sip when Biden:
Uses a malapropism
Says “folks”
References the middle class
Starts a sentence with “look”
Tells a story about some “average Joe” worker he met on the campaign trail that could easily be fabricated
Claims he’s going to end systemic racism and fails to explain how

Chug when:
Biden uses Obama’s record as evidence of his own capabilities as a leader.
You can no longer follow what Trump is arguing.

I cant believe they didnt include a chug for every time Trump says "disgrace".

And if you chugged every time you cant follow what Trump is arguing, there are going to be lots of hangovers tomorrow.

More like a lot of alcohol poisoning deaths.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #730 on: September 30, 2020, 12:06:04 AM »

More results from CNN (Biden/Trump)

Who has better plans? - 63/30
Who reassured you about their candidacy? - 59/(missed this one, but pretty sure it was in the 30s)
Who appeared as a stronger leader? - 55/43

More like to vote for:
Biden 32%
Trump 11%
Neither 57%

That's telling.

Thats typical.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #731 on: September 30, 2020, 12:10:56 AM »

I direct everybody to see my signature for an accurate depiction of the "undecided voters'" verdict on this debate.

I Purple heart Cyanide and Happiness.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #732 on: September 30, 2020, 12:13:54 AM »

This was a F-ing travesty.  If you talked like Trump did at a party, you'd get knocked the frick out.

He obviously railed a line of adderall before this "debate."
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #733 on: September 30, 2020, 12:16:02 AM »

One of the few bright sides of that debate was there was actually some discussion about climate change. It's a very important issue so it's good that voters get reminded of it and it's part of the campaign.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #734 on: September 30, 2020, 12:17:30 AM »

Even though he interrupted the moderator,  I think this was Trump's best debate from a technical standpoint.  He came out with more substance, and still managed to get more jabs.  He basically won on every issue I thought Joe Biden would hurt him on.  

For example, I didn't think it was possible, but Trump basically won the argument on Climate Change by moderating his opinion.  His answer on the fires was spot on.  Dry thatch, deadwood, etc. needed to be destroyed in controlled burns during the rainy season similar to how the Native Americans did it.  What did Biden say?  Build weatherized buildings?  In case you guys haven't noticed, almost all the large delivery, transportation, and car companies have gone green.  Trump is about to award the solar-powered delivery truck USPS contract to Workhorse.  Biden must have denied having a joint platform with Bernie Sanders 5+ times.  Then Chris Wallace asked him about it, and Biden basically did a 180 over the issue a matter of 20 seconds.  

My Sister's girlfriend is a Democrat, and she was didn't even know how to feel.  If Trump had did bad, she would have pointed it out.  She had nothing, and had her head tilted like a dog when Biden was talking about bulbous muscled racists coming out of the woods saying anti-semetic remarks.  The only criticism of Trump online is the "Proud Boys" line, and my watch party of 8 brought it up and concluded that it likely be unimportant.  We've already crossed that bridge.  

Either this is a troll account or a child in middle school.  I can't tell.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #735 on: September 30, 2020, 12:20:06 AM »

I direct everybody to see my signature for an accurate depiction of the "undecided voters'" verdict on this debate.

Undecided voters are the dumbest motherfrickers you will ever encounter if you meet one.

They are truly too stupid to pump their own gas.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #736 on: September 30, 2020, 12:22:10 AM »

CNN INSTANT POLL: 60% say Biden won, 28% say Trump

JESUS

Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #737 on: September 30, 2020, 12:23:50 AM »

Mick Foley is a national treasure
Hollywood
« Reply #738 on: September 30, 2020, 12:34:38 AM »

More results from CNN (Biden/Trump)

Who has better plans? - 63/30
Who reassured you about their candidacy? - 59/(missed this one, but pretty sure it was in the 30s)
Who appeared as a stronger leader? - 55/43

More like to vote for:
Biden 32%
Trump 11%
Neither 57%

That's telling.

Thats typical.

The Frank Luntz panel and flash polls are pretty spot on.  I switched to CNN to check out reactions from their panel, and the fact that only one person raised their hand for Biden to me is a smashing victory.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WI3X7CAlJE

People are at a loss for words right now in my circle of friends, social media, and discord.  Some people have definitely switched to Trump, and many find themselves hanging on the fence.   I went to a watch party with a lot of Trump supporters, and surprisingly, they thought he fought to a draw, but the independents and one Democrat actually felt like Trump won cause he spoke to their concerns.   The reason I think this was Trump's best performance is cause Biden sunk to Trump's level, and Trump improved to a point where he legitimately sounded more put together than Biden.  

You got also remember that Trump has been portrayed as a liar, moron, race-baiter and fascist without policies or substance, and people just saw a Joe Biden go out on that stage and embody these characteristics.  He would call Trump a liar numerous times, and then he would confirm Trump's allegations (i.e. the Bernie-Biden pact).   Saying that the goal post for Biden is that he doesn't have dementia did nothing to diminish the fact that Trump has improved since four years ago.  So what if he interrupted the moderator?  He actually spoke about reduced drug prices, remedies to tackle the wildfires, the criminal reform act, moved towards the left on environmentalism.  
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #739 on: September 30, 2020, 12:39:39 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2020, 12:47:32 AM by Arch »

Imagine being in a mindset that makes you think that all your candidate has to do to succeed at a "debate" is to constantly interrupt, shout, argue with the moderator about the rules he agreed to, and, to top it all off, refuse to condemn white supremacy while directly giving orders to a white supremacist group on live TV.

Bonkers insane. The opinion of such a person in that mindset isn't reliable.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #740 on: September 30, 2020, 12:40:03 AM »

25% of Republicans thought Biden won.

Flo 2.0
Soje
Rookie
United States

« Reply #741 on: September 30, 2020, 12:43:29 AM »

^

to counter your point, he really talked about all the things that his administration has "done " like reducing insulin prices (which wasn't the case at all) and he didn't give out any solution or plan to counter what you're describing right now. the case for trump winning this thing isn't there, biden certainly didn't do fantastic but trump dug himself into a bigger hole and i think the individual circumstance of your group isn't applicable to the general population
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #742 on: September 30, 2020, 12:44:46 AM »

Trump won the debate.  He came out as an effective strongman president.

Move to Russia if you want a strongman. Trump proved today he doesn't deserve to be an American president.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #743 on: September 30, 2020, 12:47:18 AM »

Thanks, Trump.

Well for one thing, he didn't say "Democrat Party" since no one who isn't a mentally challenged Republican who somehow thinks that's funny says that.

For another thing, (accurately) saying that he is now the leader of the party and as president nothing can get passed if he doesn't sign it -- simply to deflect Trump's attempts to pretend the farther left elements of the DEMOCRATIC Party represent Joe Biden when they do not -- was not at all "fascist." Even if Biden had complete control over the party, that wouldn't make him fascist as it is merely a political party. Not the entire country. (Remember when Trump said "I alone can fix it?" Or when he called the press "the enemy of the people?" THAT was fascist. Never mind what he said tonight.) And he doesn't control it nearly to the extent Trump does the GOP anyway, as that is now a literal cult of personality for Der Fuhrer.
Hollywood
« Reply #744 on: September 30, 2020, 12:49:07 AM »

I remembered this nonsense CNN trash poll from 2016, and Trump actually did better against Biden than Clinton.  From the CNN article:
"The post-debate result is about the same as the outcome of a post-debate poll in 2016 after the first debate between Trump and Hillary Clinton. In that poll, 62% thought Clinton won the debate, 27% said Trump did."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-debate-poll/index.html

The Frank Luntz Panel is much better at gauging reactions.  
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #745 on: September 30, 2020, 12:49:56 AM »

Once again, Clinton’s polling numbers went up after the first debate, and I expect Biden’s to do the same. She didn’t lose the election because of the first debate.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #746 on: September 30, 2020, 12:52:06 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2020, 09:09:03 AM by YE »

I remembered this nonsense CNN trash poll from 2016, and Trump actually did better against Biden than Clinton.  From the CNN article:
"The post-debate result is about the same as the outcome of a post-debate poll in 2016 after the first debate between Trump and Hillary Clinton. In that poll, 62% thought Clinton won the debate, 27% said Trump did."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-debate-poll/index.html

I'll try to put this in terms you might have the mental capacity to understand:

Debate no decide election.

Not 2016.

Not 2012.
W
Not now.

Good or bad, debate matter little.

Big problem is Trump still down big in polls. Much bigger than 2016 against bad woman.

Different things different.

Doing bad in debate not somehow mean you win election.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #747 on: September 30, 2020, 12:57:09 AM »

You're right. Luntz Panels are much better at gauging reactions:

I will never forget when A Frank Luntz focus group that he claimed was made up mostly of former Obama voters said they were now supporting Mitt Romney during the 2012 election

here are some of the things they were saying at the time about mitt Romney and Obama

"Forceful, compassionate, presidential," one participant said.
"Confident and realistic," said another.
"Presidential," another told Luntz.
"Enthusiastic," another reacted.
"Our next president," one man said.
"Dynamo, winner," said one more.

"He's lied about everything. He lied to get elected in 2008, that's why I voted for him. I bought his bull. And he's lied about everything, he hasn't come through on anything. And he's been bullsh**tting the public," one member of the focus group said.

the final results of that election showed just how silly and ridiculous his focus groups are  

It's almost like no one method is perfect.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #748 on: September 30, 2020, 01:23:02 AM »

LOL!

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #749 on: September 30, 2020, 01:27:53 AM »

That's because Hillary did win the debate. She won all three, but especially the first one. Her polling skyrocketed after the first debate.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies