NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 01:16:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41
Author Topic: NJ-SEN 2024: Draggin' The Line (3/24: Murphy OUT)  (Read 40335 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: March 24, 2024, 09:50:06 PM »

So, she was unwilling to wage a negative campaign against a fellow Democrat and that's why she drops out.
Girl, you did nothing but attack and smear that fellow Democrat and everyone who supported him for the past couple of months or so. Don't piss down on our backs and then say it's raining.
The absolute gall of this woman. She claims she is only dropping out because she "doesn't want to wage a negative campaign"

No, its because Democrats did not want to give a senate office to a former Republican donor and blantant nepo position
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #901 on: March 25, 2024, 01:08:49 AM »

Andy Kim 2024 2028
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #902 on: March 25, 2024, 02:57:17 AM »

Some have suggested that Murphy dropping out would kill Kim’s standing in his lawsuit, allowing The Line to survive in the immediate-term; can any of our legal folks explain if this is true?

There are legit args that were made by the county clerks in court that the judge is still considering right now about "laches" & whether or not Kim waiting for his first real non-speculative injury at the Passaic convention actually counterintuitively means that he already has no standing because he waited too long to file a challenge to the already-prescribed rules in the context of an election lawsuit, but in any event, the judge could still rule on the basis of the Line presenting a question that meets the "capable of repetition yet evading review" exception.

Also, just remembered that Kim has those 2 co-plaintiff House candidates who are still able to demonstrate the irreparable harm to them that's necessary for securing an emergency injunction from the judge, if they indeed have standing.

🗣️ JUDGE QURAISHI, IF YOU FOUND STANDING, STAY IN LINE!

https://twitter.com/VoteSalmon/status/1771983544312533076
https://twitter.com/VoteSalmon/status/1771984956656398522
https://twitter.com/VoteSalmon/status/1771985918343135527
https://twitter.com/VoteSalmon/status/1772004093000667338

https://twitter.com/BrianKEverett93/status/1772013727153373307

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #903 on: March 25, 2024, 05:21:42 AM »

Confirmed:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #904 on: March 25, 2024, 06:14:32 AM »

Even better:

https://newjerseyglobe.com/congress/some-more-details-on-kims-thoughts-on-murphys-exit-county-lines/

"We don't have a fair system," Kim said. "I want to change it. But I've been participating in the conventions, even the conventions that I didn't think were fair... I'm doing my best to try to win this nomination to be the Democratic nominee for Senate, but that doesn't change how I feel about the system as a whole."

"I'm still pursuing the legal case, and I'm hopeful that it will be successful," he added.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #905 on: March 25, 2024, 09:51:12 AM »

So, she was unwilling to wage a negative campaign against a fellow Democrat and that's why she drops out.
Girl, you did nothing but attack and smear that fellow Democrat and everyone who supported him for the past couple of months or so. Don't piss down on our backs and then say it's raining.
The absolute gall of this woman. She claims she is only dropping out because she "doesn't want to wage a negative campaign"

No, its because Democrats did not want to give a senate office to a former Republican donor and blantant nepo position

Yup, that's why have no regrets for her. Almost certainly she bowed out because it became evident that the base wouldn't want her and Kim was on track to win.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #906 on: March 25, 2024, 10:24:07 AM »

I thought this line thing couldn't be that big of a deal until I actually saw a NJ primary ballot. Blegh.

Good for Kim and congratulations on his Senate seat.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #907 on: March 25, 2024, 10:43:06 AM »

I thought this line thing couldn't be that big of a deal until I actually saw a NJ primary ballot. Blegh.

What in the goddamn is this
Compuzled_One
United States
« Reply #908 on: March 25, 2024, 12:35:29 PM »

So if I get this right, if you're endorsed by the county, you get first place on the ballot?
Compuzled_One
United States
« Reply #909 on: March 25, 2024, 12:39:03 PM »

So it looks like Maryland will be last remaining competitive primary of this cycle.
Late, but what about WV?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #910 on: March 25, 2024, 12:44:22 PM »

So it looks like Maryland will be last remaining competitive primary of this cycle.
What about WV?
Justice has the Trump endorsement and is already polling past 50% and will be on the same ballot as the Presidential race. Moreno easily won in Ohio and had less name rec or polling leads as Justice. Mooney is pretty much DOA.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #911 on: March 25, 2024, 12:44:30 PM »

So if I get this right, if you're endorsed by the county, you get first place on the ballot?
Yeah. The description makes it sound just like the top slot on the ballot which isn't really that big of a deal, but you can see where you end up if you don't get endorsed.
Compuzled_One
United States
« Reply #912 on: March 25, 2024, 01:02:06 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2024, 01:10:34 PM by Compuzled_One »

What about WV?
Justice has the Trump endorsement and is already polling past 50% and will be on the same ballot as the Presidential race. Moreno easily won in Ohio and had less name rec or polling leads as Justice. Mooney is pretty much DOA.
The Democratic one (mostly by virtue of it's seeming uselessness).

Yeah. The description makes it sound just like the top slot on the ballot which isn't really that big of a deal, but you can see where you end up if you don't get endorsed.
Got it, thanks.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #913 on: March 25, 2024, 03:46:23 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #914 on: March 25, 2024, 04:37:53 PM »

https://newjerseyglobe.com/congress/gottheimer-sherrill-endorse-kim-for-senate-following-murphy-withdrawal/

A more formal endorsement announcement from Sherrill is expected to come soon.

Also:

"I want to thank Tammy Murphy for her friendship and leadership, and for all she has done for Jersey families," Gottheimer said.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #915 on: March 25, 2024, 05:23:19 PM »

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #916 on: March 25, 2024, 09:22:19 PM »

Harlow

« Reply #917 on: March 25, 2024, 09:36:48 PM »

I couldn't be in a nicer place to find this out (a New Jersey Turnpike rest area)
They've all come to look for Ameeeeerica
Kabam
Rookie

« Reply #918 on: March 26, 2024, 06:54:11 AM »

Does anyone know how it's decided who is in which column?
The first one are obviously the candidates endorsed by the county party. But there still seems to be a big difference whether you are in the second column or the last one.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #919 on: March 26, 2024, 08:39:36 AM »

Even better:

https://newjerseyglobe.com/congress/some-more-details-on-kims-thoughts-on-murphys-exit-county-lines/

"We don't have a fair system," Kim said. "I want to change it. But I've been participating in the conventions, even the conventions that I didn't think were fair... I'm doing my best to try to win this nomination to be the Democratic nominee for Senate, but that doesn't change how I feel about the system as a whole."

"I'm still pursuing the legal case, and I'm hopeful that it will be successful," he added.

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #920 on: March 26, 2024, 09:05:09 AM »

Huge congratulations to Kim. As a doubter, he has pulled off an incredible feat. It would have been nice to see it happen at the ballot box, which looked increasingly possible.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #921 on: March 26, 2024, 10:24:29 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2024, 10:29:20 AM by Tintrlvr »

Technically anyone can form a line (you can see two different groups seem to have formed separate lines on this ballots - "Not Me. Us." on the second line, although they seem to have intended to coordinate with the Sanders campaign and somehow failed to get him to top their line, and the "Neptune Democrats" on the last line). The county party always gets the first line. When I was growing up in Bergen County, there was almost always a full second line opposed to the county line as well (the "Real Bergen Democrats" was an anti-county party group that probably no longer exists but was pretty influential in the '00s; my local State Senator and Assemblymembers were from that group), although they of course were still hobbled by the fact that usually the most prominent Presidential, Senate and Congressional candidates would be on the county line and they rarely had a separate candidate for federal offices. But in many cases there is no coherent line after the county party line.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #922 on: March 26, 2024, 10:30:13 AM »

Does anyone know how it's decided who is in which column?
The first one are obviously the candidates endorsed by the county party. But there still seems to be a big difference whether you are in the second column or the last one.

Filing order I believe.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #923 on: March 26, 2024, 11:25:23 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix