Poll: Even if Russia collusion proven, Trump voters want him to stay (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:13:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Even if Russia collusion proven, Trump voters want him to stay (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Trump stay in office even if Russia collusion is proven?
No (Not a Trump voter/supporter)

No (Trump voter/supporter)

Yes (Not a Trump voter/supporter)

Yes (Trump voter/supporter)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Poll: Even if Russia collusion proven, Trump voters want him to stay  (Read 3682 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: October 31, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »

If the Republicans are more loyal to Russia than their fellow Americans, they can't speak of nationalism, nor can they legitimately criticize football players for kneeling for the flag. Even if Colin Kaepernick were to burn the flag on his front yard every day, there would be no grounds for criticism from Trump supporters.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 05:42:42 PM »

If the Republicans are more loyal to Russia than their fellow Americans, they can't speak of nationalism, nor can they legitimately criticize football players for kneeling for the flag. Even if Colin Kaepernick were to burn the flag on his front yard every day, there would be no grounds for criticism from Trump supporters.

If the next one up after Trump says Russia is bad they'll believe him, they go with the strong man. Romney was always right in that Russia is our greatest enemy, and Republicans agreed with him then too.

So they're willing to sell out their country for partisanship, even when that selling out pertains to illegal behavior. How is that different than what Robert Hansen did, or a government agent who passes secrets to Russia for money?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »

I mean, they will do what they want, but the Republicans are always the ones claiming to be nationalist and accusing Democrats of lack of patriotism, including certain posters here, who claim that Democratic patriotism is "conditional." So we're going to throw this in their faces every single time they start going down that route.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:11 PM »

1. Collusion is not a federal crime.

''Collusion, even if it were to be established, isn’t a crime. You have to find something that actually violates the federal criminal statutes. I don’t think they’re even close to that.” - liberal Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz in a recent appearance on Fox News

Aiding and abetting (18 USC 2) a foreign national to contribute any “thing of value” to a campaign would be a crime (52 USC 30121).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sure but no one would have labeled the founding fathers as patriotic members of the British Empire; they were rebelling against it. No matter what you think of whether that rebellion was justified, it was a rebellion and in the eyes of the British the revolutionaries were rightly not considered loyal citizens. Nor would the founding fathers have wanted to be labeled themselves as such. Now if the Trump group wants to split itself off from the United States and form their own country that can be discussed; but that’s not what they are claiming to want. They claim to be nationalistic Americans and this is wrong.

Wait, so you can’t disagree on what’s best for the nation without being an enemy of the nation? You realize that the entire premise of democratic politics is that not everyone has to have the same opinion to be a loyal citizen right? Otherwise, what’s the point of the First Amendment?

What positions you took in the past or take today are immaterial. All that matters is whether your arguments hold up to reason.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »

Wait, so you can’t disagree on what’s best for the nation without being an enemy of the nation?

Everyone views their opposition that way, but only some people are honest enough to admit it. I would not expect a leftist to view me as ''just somebody who has different ideas about what's best for the nation'' as opposed to an enemy.

I don’t view the opposition that way. If what you said were true, anyone who controls the military could just stage a coup and take over the country. After all, everyone who disagrees with them is an enemy, so they don’t deserve any rights. The entire basis of settling disputes via elections in the first place doesn’t logically coexist with your worldview. My hope is for a less polarized politics where people come together more as one nation.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 01:50:30 AM »

It's absurd. Colluding with a foreign power to run a domestic campaign would not be allowed in Russia, or any other country. I'm hardly some raging nationalist, wrap-myself-around-the-flag guy, but there's a reason why foreign campaign contributions are prohibited. Unless you really are going to split the country into two pieces it's unsustainable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies