Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:11:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360197 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« on: April 08, 2020, 08:26:22 PM »

Let's be real: it's going to be be a black woman.

After all, Biden is going to thanks black voters who bailed him out during the primary.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:15:10 AM »

Let's be real: it's going to be be a black woman.

After all, Biden is going to thanks black voters who bailed him out during the primary.

If that is true, I predict he will choose Kamala Harris.

I do as well.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »

Has there been anything to suggest that Biden is considering Katie Porter for VP? Not only would I consider her qualified and competent, with a pretty good story to tell as a single mom.

Also could be a nice bridge between progressives and resistance moms.

I've seen Porter mentioned as a possibility by a few people, notably Bill Kristol (although he's not someone who would be expected to know what Biden is thinking; he's just speculating).  IMO Porter is a very impressive representative and someone with a great future in politics.  But I don't think she meets the criterion of someone with enough experience in government to step in and assume the Presidency if something happened to Biden.

Porter has a very bright future in the Democratic Party, just not on a national ticket (yet). I could definitely see her as a future California Senator, though she will have some stiff competition considering how many rising stars are in that state.

Fingers crossed we get VP Harris so that Newsom appoints Porter to the seat.

Yuck

There are far more qualify person that a freshmen who was barely elected a year ago.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:15 PM »

Val Demings is a pretty interesting option.

Biden can try to have cake and eat it too.

On one hand, Val Demings can say that she understands the systematic racism in the police force, and on the other hand, she can say that she wouldn't be soft on crime.

That said, it's a high risk, high reward option.

Anything controversial that happens under her watch (whether her fault or not) would be scrutinized.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 12:21:39 AM »

I’m warming up to Keisha....... we’ll see

Meh

What does she bring to the ticket that Val Damings or Harris doesn't?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 12:59:35 AM »

Meh

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America, she's shown tremendous leadership in the last few months, she's an early Biden supporter from Last Summer, she has no baggage from a past in prosecution, she's been extremely tough on her Police Department and shown she'll discipline when necessary and from at Battleground State. I like Harris & Demings too, any of those 3 I support along with Warren & Duckworth. I would say those are the Top 3 right now Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren & Duckworth. Those 5 are all extremely good choices.

...and that's exactly the problem

Trump will say that she is weak on crime and juxtapose her with looters and arsonists.

On the other hand, Trump would be hard-pressed to say that a former chief of police or a former prosecutor is weak on crime.

What you called a "baggage" is actually an asset.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 01:54:24 AM »

Meh

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America, she's shown tremendous leadership in the last few months, she's an early Biden supporter from Last Summer, she has no baggage from a past in prosecution, she's been extremely tough on her Police Department and shown she'll discipline when necessary and from at Battleground State. I like Harris & Demings too, any of those 3 I support along with Warren & Duckworth. I would say those are the Top 3 right now Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren & Duckworth. Those 5 are all extremely good choices.

Trump will say that she is weak on crime and juxtapose her with looters and arsonists.

On the other hand, Trump would be hard-pressed to say that a former chief of police or a former prosecutor is weak on crime.

Trump will say literally any Democrat is soft on crime. That’s part of his standard attack/endorsement tweet in down ballot races.

He said it, unironically, about Doug Jones in 2017. The US Attorney who literally prosecuted KKK members.

The point is, the attack won't stick to someone like Val Damings
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 02:18:29 AM »

Meh

Trump will say literally any Democrat is soft on crime. That’s part of his standard attack/endorsement tweet in down ballot races.

He said it, unironically, about Doug Jones in 2017. The US Attorney who literally prosecuted KKK members.

The point is, the attack won't stick to someone like Val Damings

You honestly can't go wrong right now as the Biden campaign choosing between Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren or Duckworth. That should be the Top 5 and the ones he's seriously vetting right now. Harris has the attack dog quality you look for in a VP who will go after the President hard, KLB has this momentum and really taking the bull by the horns, Demings are her background in law enforcement is a huge plus, Warren is a hit with the Progressives and Duckworth is a sleeper pick who I don't see as a politician with a flaw that would come to haunt her.

You have to ask what each candidate adds to the ticket.

Lance Bottoms doesn't add anything to the ticker that Val Damings or Harris doesn't.

Warren is such a hit with liberals that they didn't even vote for her during the primary. Maybe she's popular with native Americans, LMAO.

Duckworth, well she might be popular with the military vote, but the military isn't exactly a big issue this election.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 10:02:23 AM »

Lance Bottoms has the quality of *not* having a background in law enforcement, something Harris & Demings don’t. Like it or not, it matters if the base of the party turns out to vote. Law and order voters are unlikely to vote for the Democrat anyway, so why go out of your way to appeal to them?

Looting and arson make white voters very nervous.

Law enforcement background would reassure nervous white voters. Most of them are not going to come out and directly and said that that is what they want, but it works subconsciously.

If she can prove she’s got the policy chops to do the job, KLB is by far and away a more palatable choice for young voters, particularly the young African Americans leading the protests across the nation.

It would be a tough case to make that a black cop or a black prosecutor is racist toward blacks.

Also, the people who go around yelling "abolish the police" have no clue what they really want

If the police are abolished, another authority -- probably the military -- is going to have to enforce the laws.

Duckworth and Warren would both be fine choices, least of all because they’re less likely to run in 2024. Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings.

And how do you know that "Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings"?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2020, 12:59:00 PM by pppolitics »

Lance Bottoms has the quality of *not* having a background in law enforcement, something Harris & Demings don’t. Like it or not, it matters if the base of the party turns out to vote. Law and order voters are unlikely to vote for the Democrat anyway, so why go out of your way to appeal to them?

Looting and arson make white voters very nervous.

Law enforcement background would reassure nervous white voters. Most of them are not going to come out and directly and said that that is what they want, but it works subconsciously.

If she can prove she’s got the policy chops to do the job, KLB is by far and away a more palatable choice for young voters, particularly the young African Americans leading the protests across the nation.

It would be a tough case to make that a black cop or a black prosecutor is racist toward blacks.

Also, the people who go around yelling "abolish the police" have no clue what they really want

If the police are abolished, another authority -- probably the military -- is going to have to enforce the laws.

Duckworth and Warren would both be fine choices, least of all because they’re less likely to run in 2024. Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings.

And how do you know that "Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings"?
1) Putting a black cop on the ticket isn’t gonna reassure white voters who are more worried about looting than the corruption and unprovoked murder of black people by said police. Those voters are the same ones Hillary chased in 2016.
2) Nobody’s saying Harris/Demings are racist, nor is anyone saying abolish the police. We’re saying these institutions need structural reform. Demings didn’t do that in Orlando as Chief, and Kamala has a mixed record at best of doing so in Sacramento as AG.
3) I’d say Harris dropping out before Iowa shows that Democratic voters don’t want her as President. Demings is a complete unknown, which no, isn’t a good thing. We don’t have the time to define a VP candidate. Of the 2 I’d pick Harris because she already has an identity in national politics, albeit a polarizing one.
1.) Your argument is a false dilemma fallacy. It's not mutually exclusive. Being concerned about looting and arson doesn't mean being unconcerned about systematic racism in the police force.

2.) Reform takes time. Val Demings disbanded the city's drug enforcement unit targeting black neighborhoods. You clearly don't know enough.

3.) Being unknown can be an asset. She has a lot of room to define herself.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »

Val Demings was Ellen's show yesterday. She didn't directly say yes, but hinted she'd be open to serve as vice president. I think all three black women, Kamala, Demings and Keisha Lance Bottoms would be excellent.

She's VP material
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 01:27:40 PM »

She would bring out the Native American votes!
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »

Bottoms would an example of a pure identity politics pick.

She has no qualifications that would make her a good VP pick.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 01:42:04 PM »

Question - I don’t think either is a great choice, but why does Bottoms keep getting mentioned but not Bowser?
KLB is from Georgia, a swing state and supposedly she can help Biden win Georgia. Muriel Bowser is the mayor of DC, which is the most Democratic city in the country. Also, DC is not a state and not apart of any state.

It looks bad to pick VP purely for identity politics purpose.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »

Question - I don’t think either is a great choice, but why does Bottoms keep getting mentioned but not Bowser?
KLB is from Georgia, a swing state and supposedly she can help Biden win Georgia. Muriel Bowser is the mayor of DC, which is the most Democratic city in the country. Also, DC is not a state and not apart of any state.

I don't support choosing KLB (not necessarily opposed to Biden choosing her either). She's unlikely to be picked regardless.

Anyways, how would picking her be "purely for identity politics"?

...because she doesn't add much to the Biden ticket aside from being black
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »

I dont support a Harris Veeps, Dems are acting like Harris is the only African American out there. If you lived in Cali, she has done zero for the African American community here. That's why she wasnt nominated for Prez

Abrams would do more for African Americans than Harris, she would keep the status quo like Obama did

...Obama just happens to be the most popular Democrat
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:49 PM »

Mike Pence was picked to appease Evangelicals, is that not "identity politics"?

Republicans don't care because everything about Trump is 1000x worse.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2020, 06:40:08 PM »

That wasn't the point. The point is y'all ignore everything designed to cater to white voters but the moment any other group is considered in a VP choice it's identity politics. People all in this thread throwing dog whistles about why it needs to be Amy or Gretchen and that's just fine but someone whispers *pick a Black woman* and it's "shut up Blacks already got their choice".

I didn't say, don't pick a black woman.

I said, don't pick a black woman just for the sake of picking a black woman.

Pick someone who adds something to the ticket (i.e. Val Damings)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »

That wasn't the point. The point is y'all ignore everything designed to cater to white voters but the moment any other group is considered in a VP choice it's identity politics. People all in this thread throwing dog whistles about why it needs to be Amy or Gretchen and that's just fine but someone whispers *pick a Black woman* and it's "shut up Blacks already got their choice".

What does Val Demings "add"?

Val Demings was chief of police.

She has an inside into systematic racism in the police force.

You know, the thing that black people care about.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 07:10:07 PM »

Well, I'm Black lol.

Anyways, none of that really "adds" anything to the ticket.

Okay

I meant, "that a lot of black people care about"
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »

Well, I'm Black lol.

Okay

I certainly care about criminal justice reform, police reform and combatting systemic racism. However, I just don't believe that Val Demings adds much. Just my opinion.

Who would understand the system better than a former police chief?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2020, 10:55:19 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2020, 11:14:24 PM by pppolitics »

Well, I'm Black lol.

Okay

You're in expert on the black community now?
No.

I just happened to read these things called the news.

You should try it sometimes.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2020, 08:16:35 AM »

^I would think Demings over KLB because Florida is closer than Georgia.
They’re both toss-up states. Also KLB has strong name ID in the Atlanta metro as the executive of the state’s capitol and most visible city. Demings is some random Congresswoman.

What does Bottoms adds to the ticket aside from being black?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2020, 09:58:32 AM »

Biden’s Vice-Presidential Search: Who’s on the List and Where It Stands

Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s advisers have conducted several rounds of interviews with a select group of vice-presidential candidates and are beginning to gather private documents from some of them, as they attempt to winnow a field that features the most diverse set of vice-presidential contenders in history.

The search committee has been in touch with roughly a dozen women, and some eight or nine are already being vetted more intensively.

Among that group are two contenders who have recently grown in prominence, Representative Val Demings of Florida and Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms of Atlanta. One well-known candidate, Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, has lost her perch as a front-runner. And some lower-profile candidates, like Senator Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, are advancing steadily in the search process.

The New York Times spoke to an array of people who are familiar with the vice-presidential search and the activities of the Biden team, and the interviews yielded the fullest picture yet of the list of candidates Mr. Biden is considering, who is advancing and who may be fading, and the dynamics at play.

[...]

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/13/us/politics/joe-biden-vice-president.html
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »

Biden running mate search zeroes in on group that includes at least four black women

Joe Biden’s search for a running mate has advanced to the next phase as his campaign conducts more extensive reviews of some prospects, including at least several African American women, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

Among the candidates who have progressed to the point of more comprehensive vetting or have the potential to do so are Sen. Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.), Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.), former national security adviser Susan E. Rice and Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, all of whom are black. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who is white, is also in that group, as is New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, who is Latina.

The pool of prospects remains fluid, and some close Biden allies suggested other contenders could also face the more intensive vetting process. The people describing the situation spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive private conversations and an evolving search process.

[...]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-running-mate-search-zeroes-in-on-group-that-includes-at-least-four-black-women/2020/06/13/d7278434-aceb-11ea-9063-e69bd6520940_story.html
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies