Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:56:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 184335 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: March 03, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »

I'm generally in favor of opening the voting process, especially when it comes to AVR and ballot access. I don't understand why anyone thinks straight party ticket options are democratic in a non-parliamentary democracy. I like the CA top two system which is antithetical to straight ticket voting.

I'm kind of indifferent to straight ticket voting, but I see utility in it given that some voters really do only vote party line with or without it. If it saves them time, and perhaps even means the difference between only marking the top races or everything with STV, I'd rather just leave STV. If the voter can vote for the party at the top, then still break on one or two choices, I don't see a problem.

My problem with this is that Michigan is already poor on voter access. They don't have much. I don't appreciate the idea of eliminating straight ticket voting without something else to erase the potential for longer lines. IIRC, Michigan already has problems with lines. Further, there seems to be blatant partisan motivations here, which quite frankly for an issue like this, is a good way to get pushback from someone such as myself. If Republicans had eliminated straight ticket voting but enacted early voting, I'd have been good with that.
kph14
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #476 on: March 05, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »

HB2541, which would make Hawaii a state which conducts all its elections completely by mail by 2020 has passed the Hawaii House of Representatives 44-3. Hopefully this time around the Hawaii Legislature can get its act together on this issue
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #477 on: March 08, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »

Utah legislature passes AVR, heads to Governors desk
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #478 on: March 08, 2018, 08:36:25 PM »

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/bill-shorten-atlanta-voting-hours-advances-house/goraM0zz8ft43NldUsjekL/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Personally I'd rather the state move up by an hour rather than take Atlanta down one, but meh.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #479 on: March 08, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/bill-shorten-atlanta-voting-hours-advances-house/goraM0zz8ft43NldUsjekL/

Personally I'd rather the state move up by an hour rather than take Atlanta down one, but meh.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #480 on: March 16, 2018, 12:16:19 PM »

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #481 on: March 27, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »

NJ voting rights bills voted out of committee

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #482 on: March 27, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »

Sounds like a great package of reforms.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #483 on: March 27, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #484 on: March 27, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »

Admittedly I'm a little disappointed that, as far as I can tell, it doesn't include same-day registration. I was hoping they would just ram through the Democracy Act again, which seemed more comprehensive than this. I also thought they were trying to pass a law forcing Senate vacancy appointments to be from the same party as the previous office holder, but I wonder if they aren't doing that now since Murphy won. That would seem a little shortsighted, unless they are prepared to ram through such a bill in the lame duck period right after a Republican wins another gubernatorial race.

Either way, still excellent news.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #485 on: March 27, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »

OK, so I'm just going to put this here (and in the first post) for future posts: This thread's purpose is for updates on pro-voter access reform and to a lesser degree, anti-gerrymandering reform. Big cases like, say, North Carolina's gerrymander getting struck down is OK, but little updates like the DoJ switching to Texas's side to defend their gerrymander is not OK. Not only does that go against the spirit of this thread, but it's such a boring little update to a gerrymandering lawsuit that it's not worth posting here. If some new state passes a completely new voter ID law - eg a big update - that might be something worth posting here too, just don't be a dick about it. Likewise for pro-voter access news please. Little updates like Michigan going from a strict voter ID law to a stricter voter ID law is not really worth mentioning here, just like it's hardly worth mentioning California passing a law requiring public universities to provide voter registration links on student web portals (I posted that here once, but I remarked that it was hardly worth posting, which is true, but iirc it was a slow week/month).

If a conservative/Republican or just plain anti-voter access user would like to keep everyone apprised of the latest efforts to rig Congressional/legislative maps and/or suppress voting via new legislation, by all means, create your own thread and keep it updated. I'm sure there is at least a handful of users here would probably love it. But this thread is not the place to dump what I consider to be a product of this country's worst actors.

The vast majority of users aren't dicks, so this message really is meant for just one person, who probably could care less, but I'm leaving it here to ask that people respectfully post such anti-voting rights news somewhere else.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #486 on: March 27, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »

It's nice that I am starting to feel proud of my state again.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/380657-maryland-legislature-passes-automatic-voter-registration

Given that Democrats have a supermajority in the legislature, this is basically all but guaranteed to pass. I was skeptical that this would pass because a year or so back, the Senate shot down AVR for some reason, but now that it's being sent to Hogan, it seems reasonable to assume its for sure.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2018, 09:06:11 PM »

This legislation and another one that was aimed to end Sunday early voting died in the Legislature today.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #489 on: April 03, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #490 on: April 03, 2018, 10:12:58 PM »

Didn't Democrats completely pass on a conservative-held WI Supreme Court race in 2017?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #491 on: April 03, 2018, 10:53:57 PM »

Didn't Democrats completely pass on a conservative-held WI Supreme Court race in 2017?

Correct
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #492 on: April 03, 2018, 11:41:23 PM »

Correct

Granted that the backlash was still building at that point, but in hindsight, that must be incredibly frustrating to a lot of party officials. I don't know exactly why that went unopposed, but the rule of thumb should always be that if the president's party is the same party holding that seat, and said president is relatively (or more) unpopular in that state, then every office worth a damn should be contested. Anything less is passing up on an opportunity to rebuild the party. It should have been contested no matter what, but especially that time around!

I mean, looking at it now, that could have meant a state Supreme Court majority before 2020, and maybe even the difference between fair and rigged maps, which is a big deal in WI.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #493 on: April 04, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »

Correct

Granted that the backlash was still building at that point, but in hindsight, that must be incredibly frustrating to a lot of party officials. I don't know exactly why that went unopposed, but the rule of thumb should always be that if the president's party is the same party holding that seat, and said president is relatively (or more) unpopular in that state, then every office worth a damn should be contested. Anything less is passing up on an opportunity to rebuild the party. It should have been contested no matter what, but especially that time around!

I mean, looking at it now, that could have meant a state Supreme Court majority before 2020, and maybe even the difference between fair and rigged maps, which is a big deal in WI.

Would have been on the ballot with Tony Evers' landslide. That being said, historically in Wisconsin it's much harder to knock off a sitting Supreme Court Justice, which this would have been. Since 1848, it's only been done twice. Still, it's so stupid they didn't even try.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #494 on: April 07, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 11:48:51 AM by Atlas Force »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #495 on: April 07, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »

As I understand it, MD also is attempting to get same-day registration passed by putting a constitutional amendment on the ballot this year. They have it during early voting, but I guess they can't do it on election day without an amendment.

New Jersey and Massachusetts up next Cheesy
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #496 on: April 18, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

NJ passed its automatic registration!

https://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/automatic-voter-registration-signed-law-nj
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #497 on: April 18, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »

Just waiting for the "Cuomo is gutter trash, who cares, he's 3vil" posts to come in still. Roll Eyes
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »

Just waiting for the "Cuomo is gutter trash, who cares, he's 3vil" posts to come in still. Roll Eyes

Oh, Cuomo is still awful. But awful people sometimes do good things.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies