Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 05:47:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 184581 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: January 02, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »

Ohio anti gerrymandering ballot initiative will most likely collect enough signatures to be on the ballot in 2018:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #376 on: January 02, 2018, 09:55:23 PM »

This OH initiative applies to Congressional districts, I presume? I know there was movement around LDs some time ago
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #377 on: January 02, 2018, 09:58:23 PM »

This OH initiative applies to Congressional districts, I presume? I know there was movement around LDs some time ago

They already passed a law for the state legislature districts....this one is for the Federal Congressional districts
senyor_brownbear
Rookie

« Reply #378 on: January 02, 2018, 11:46:04 PM »

There are redistricting ballot petitions in Michigan, Ohio, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Missouri, Oklahoma.  Is it expected most of these will pass?  For Dems, MI/OH would be great, UT/MO would be nice, SD/OK irrelevant.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »

There are redistricting ballot petitions in Michigan, Ohio, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Missouri, Oklahoma.  Is it expected most of these will pass?  For Dems, MI/OH would be great, UT/MO would be nice, SD/OK irrelevant.

Actually, our state legislature districts are gerrymandered to hell and back. It might not have an impact on the federal level, but a redistricting initiative passing would make democrats a lot more competitive at the state level.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:53 PM »

Actually, our state legislature districts are gerrymandered to hell and back. It might not have an impact on the federal level, but a redistricting initiative passing would make democrats a lot more competitive at the state level.
Um SD hasn’t voted democrat since 1964 so no matter what you do the legislature will always be republican till major population growth happens.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #381 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:55 AM »

Um SD hasn’t voted democrat since 1964 so no matter what you do the legislature will always be republican till major population growth happens.

Thank you for mansplaining my own state to me.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #382 on: January 03, 2018, 12:06:38 AM »

Yeah, but you can significantly narrow the republican advantage.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #383 on: January 03, 2018, 12:07:54 AM »

Stop pretending to know things, kiddo.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #384 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »

Grown ups are talking
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #385 on: January 04, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »

Oklahoma Atlasians should sign this petition Smiley

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #386 on: January 05, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »

Power To The People!

Link

Commonwealth Court Says Pa’s Congressional Lines Do Not Violate State Constitution

Cucked yet again!

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2018, 02:35:46 PM »

Washington Senate Democrats unveil a massive voter access improvement package.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2018, 03:07:03 PM »

^^ This is even better than I thought. I've been waiting years to finally see some major movement on this stuff, and I think the next 2 years will finally satiate me Smiley
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #389 on: January 09, 2018, 02:15:24 PM »

Judge ends consent decree limiting RNC 'ballot security' activities

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/09/rnc-ballot-security-consent-decree-328995

I wonder how long it will take the party to go back to its roots on this. It's possible they won't, but given all the effort they have put into restricting voter access over the past decade, I'm not too optimistic.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #390 on: January 09, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

snip

Here is an article about it: https://thinkprogress.org/washington-democrats-ambitious-new-voting-rights-agenda-120f776f9843/

Most of the attention is going towards the proposed Voting Rights Act, which is mainly intended to force local governments to change the way they elect politicians. For instance, there are a number of cities/towns where minorities have less representation than they should mainly due to polarized voting and at-large seats. This bill would make it easier and less costly to sue for relief.

The automatic voter registration bill would only apply to people with commercial licenses, as WA apparently can't verify if people are citizens or not (at least that is the justification they offer). I'm not sure if this AVR bill includes other state agencies.

I'd say same-day registration is probably one of the best provisions, but I wonder how that works here. Doesn't WA conduct all-mail voting? How many places can people in each county vote in-person?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #391 on: January 09, 2018, 03:00:13 PM »

snip

Here is an article about it: https://thinkprogress.org/washington-democrats-ambitious-new-voting-rights-agenda-120f776f9843/

Most of the attention is going towards the proposed Voting Rights Act, which is mainly intended to force local governments to change the way they elect politicians. For instance, there are a number of cities/towns where minorities have less representation than they should mainly due to polarized voting and at-large seats. This bill would make it easier and less costly to sue for relief.

The automatic voter registration bill would only apply to people with commercial licenses, as WA apparently can't verify if people are citizens or not (at least that is the justification they offer). I'm not sure if this AVR bill includes other state agencies.

I'd say same-day registration is probably one of the best provisions, but I wonder how that works here. Doesn't WA conduct all-mail voting? How many places can people in each county vote in-person?

Same day and AVR will not achieve much. That’s the downside to not verifying citizenship status (it’s not that they can’t it’s that they won’t). However I do believe there was discussion of making all the Mail ballots postage prepaid, which should marginally help turnout outside of Seattle
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #392 on: January 10, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »

Power To The People!

Link

Commonwealth Court Says Pa’s Congressional Lines Do Not Violate State Constitution

Power To The People!

Link

Federal judges rule in favor of Pennsylvania Republicans in gerrymandering case
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #393 on: January 10, 2018, 09:14:12 PM »

Power To The People!

Link

Power To The People!

Link

Power To The People!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article193814154.html

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #394 on: January 11, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »

Power To The People!

Link

Power To The People!

Link

Power To The People!

Well, not yet. The Supreme Court has not yet issued a ruling to overthrow this heist attempt. True federalists across the nation can cheer as the 4th circuit can no longer take advantage of the temporary void left by Great Justice Scalia.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #395 on: January 11, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2018, 06:30:26 PM by Torie »

Power To The People!

Link

Power To The People!

Link

Power To The People!

Well, not yet. The Supreme Court has not yet issued a ruling to overthrow this heist attempt. True federalists across the nation can cheer as the 4th circuit can no longer take advantage of the temporary void left by Great Justice Scalia.

If Justice Kennedy does his expected thing, I suspect the NC map will go down the tubes. We shall see. The Pubs were hogs rather than pigs in some of these maps, doing grotesque things to get one extra seat, or pad a seat so that it would never be marginal. Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered. Smart gerrymanderers draw pretty maps, and the biases are subtle. There are not many smart gerrymanderers on the Fruited Plain. Well maybe that Mathis woman qualifies in the Dem gerrymander of AZ as the supposedly non partisan person on the commission. But then she sort of had to be somewhat subtle, given her oath of office. One irony is that CA CD map. It was a Dem gerrymander lite, but given the collapse of the Pub party in CA, it now has morphed into a Pub gerrymander lite. Who knew?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #396 on: January 12, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2018, 03:50:06 PM by krazen1211 »

If Justice Kennedy does his expected thing, I suspect the NC map will go down the tubes. We shall see. The Pubs were hogs rather than pigs in some of these maps, doing grotesque things to get one extra seat, or pad a seat so that it would never be marginal. Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered. Smart gerrymanderers draw pretty maps, and the biases are subtle. There are not many smart gerrymanderers on the Fruited Plain. Well maybe that Mathis woman qualifies in the Dem gerrymander of AZ as the supposedly non partisan person on the commission. But then she sort of had to be somewhat subtle, given her oath of office. One irony is that CA CD map. It was a Dem gerrymander lite, but given the collapse of the Pub party in CA, it now has morphed into a Pub gerrymander lite. Who knew?

Surely that is possible. But the Supreme Court has already taken a case from Maryland from the 4th circuit. The 4th circuit is strangely in conflict with itself on this matter. I suspect these cases will be consolidated.

The Supreme Court already ruled on North Carolina redistricting's 1st and 12th districts...both of which have been redrawn into nicely shaped districts that are vastly less serpentine than those in Maryland.

In any case the appeal has already been filed.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #397 on: January 12, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »

The District Court has dismissed a nonsensical challenge to Alabama common sense voter ID.

Link
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #398 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »

Just wanted to add - it doesn't matter what the districts look like. SCOTUS will probably hold it until they rule on Whitford, but if they come out against partisan gerrymandering, North Carolina's lawsuit is open and shut. They admitted it was a partisan gerrymander in a comical effort to insulate themselves from a lawsuit on racial grounds, and Lewis specifically said the only reason he didn't draw an 11R - 2D map was because he didn't think it was possible. In other words, he believed this was the most partisan map he could put together. Of course if SCOTUS opts to allow map rigging to continue, then we might see a different final outcome.

Anyway, there are numerous threads for this topic and an entire board for map-related stuff, so can we please keep discussion of gerrymanders here to a minimum?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #399 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:26 AM »

Sorry to interrupt the regular programming. I do admit I have something of a map fetish. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies