NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:51:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 105
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 74226 times)
Redban

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2350 on: May 07, 2024, 02:56:53 PM »

Merchan denies defense long shot motion for mistrial on basis of Stormy’s salacious testimony. But he concedes that “In fairness to the people, I think the witness was a little bit difficult to control” and ““that there are some things that would have been better left unsaid.”

Yet you read this thread , you will hear claims that Stormy has been  “sharp, likable, and in control”
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2351 on: May 07, 2024, 03:02:31 PM »

Merchan denies defense long shot motion for mistrial on basis of Stormy’s salacious testimony. But he concedes that “In fairness to the people, I think the witness was a little bit difficult to control” and ““that there are some things that would have been better left unsaid.”

Yet you read this thread , you will hear claims that Stormy has been  “sharp, likable, and in control”

Personal preference
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2352 on: May 07, 2024, 03:13:39 PM »

My own impression -- at least catching up after work -- is that I would not trust Stormy as a personal confidant.  At the same time, though, I don't get the sense she was being delusive today regardless of how overzealous she was with some of her responses. 

Then again, it's hard to say either way considering that we're all getting our impressions of the proceedings through text-only accounts. 

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2353 on: May 07, 2024, 04:57:24 PM »

Well the goal isn't just to get him on anything. He (allegedly) broke the law to illegally influence the election and that is a crime worth prosecting, for the deterrent effect if nothing else. Who cares if it's technically illegal that he cheated on his wife?

My God, you are incredibly dense. Surprised you don't have a red avatar.

You could have and should have just stopped here in formulating your "argument".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2354 on: May 07, 2024, 05:02:24 PM »

According to Daniels, Trump told her during the dinner on the night they had sex: “you remind me of my daughter.” You can’t make this sh**t up.

Not surprising, given that he said he'd be dating Ivanka if she wasn't his daughter.

And the people who worship him say Biden is a creep for giving his granddaughter a normal hug.

It's always projection, chapter 10,947
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2355 on: May 07, 2024, 05:05:36 PM »

Yet you read this thread , you will hear claims that Stormy has been  “sharp, likable, and in control”

Did the defense actually timely object to some of the things Daniels said which are supposedly so prejudicially salacious? If not, they are sol. You can't sit back on your thumbs and let a witness say all kinds of things that should be shut down without raising a peep, and then at the end of their testimony say hey that was so unfair we want the case thrown out.

If they did, presumably anything objection will Daniel said would have been sustained as an objection and the jury ordered to disregard it. It would take something pretty damn monumental coming out of her mouth where such an instruction was insufficient and a mistrial warranted.

For once Redban is correct. This was an absolute Hail Mary on their part, and I think about the 8th or 9th one in this trial alone.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2356 on: May 07, 2024, 05:09:06 PM »

Did the defense actually timely object to some of the things Daniels said which are supposedly so prejudicially salacious? If not, they are sol. You can't sit back on your thumbs and let a witness say all kinds of things that should be shut down without raising a peep, and then at the end of their testimony say hey that was so unfair we want the case thrown out.

If they did, presumably anything objection will Daniel said would have been sustained as an objection and the jury ordered to disregard it. It would take something pretty damn monumental coming out of her mouth where such an instruction was insufficient and a mistrial warranted.

For once Redban is correct. This was an absolute Hail Mary on their part, and I think about the 8th or 9th one in this trial alone.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2357 on: May 07, 2024, 05:16:52 PM »

Wasn't Stormy paid US $130,000 to not talk about the sexual encounter?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2358 on: May 07, 2024, 05:26:35 PM »

Wasn't Stormy paid US $130,000 to not talk about the sexual encounter?

Cohen released her from the NDA on Trump's behalf in Sept. 2018, & as an NDA alleged to have facilitated the furtherance of unlawful activity, it still wouldn't be enforceable over a subpoena.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2359 on: May 07, 2024, 06:40:25 PM »

Well the goal isn't just to get him on anything. He (allegedly) broke the law to illegally influence the election and that is a crime worth prosecting, for the deterrent effect if nothing else. Who cares if it's technically illegal that he cheated on his wife?

My God, you are incredibly dense. Surprised you don't have a red avatar.

You could have and should have just stopped here in formulating your "argument".

I figured this out later, I think mj was saying I was dense because I misspelled prosecuting, hence the bolding. It was my mistake, really.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2360 on: May 07, 2024, 06:56:11 PM »

Yeah, he TOTALLY cared about Melania's feelings.

Republicans, it's not too late. You can still walk away from this vile jackwagon. You can still refuse to nominate him, or bail on the GOP if they do nominate him. But if you stand with him past the RNC and into the election, you're damning yourselves, just as thoroughly as you're trying to damn the country.

This just makes them support him more.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2361 on: May 07, 2024, 10:16:43 PM »

Honestly hearing some of the questions the prosecutor was permitted to ask Daniels without objection makes me wonder if Trump is deliberately trying to set up an appeal for ineffective counsel.

Like how on earth is asking whether Trump wore a condom not way more prejudicial than it is probative?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2362 on: May 07, 2024, 11:00:24 PM »

Honestly hearing some of the questions the prosecutor was permitted to ask Daniels without objection makes me wonder if Trump is deliberately trying to set up an appeal for ineffective counsel.

I can honestly buy them readying an ineffective-counsel appeal for him by purposely "misinterpreting" Merchan's rulings so they can justify their "failure" to preserve any objections on their reliance on (their interpretations of) his rulings. Necheles got into it with Merchan during the mistrial argument over her inaccurately representing Merchan's ruling at the beginning of the day on their objection to Stormy's testimony overall as rejecting it entirely rather than sustaining in part & overruling in part. They ended up agreeing to disagree on the accuracy of her representation before moving on to his ruling against them precisely because they knew or should've known better & made the necessary objections. Say what can be said about Trump, but the white-shoe criminal defense legend (Necheles) & 2 former SDNY prosecutors (Bove & Blanche) representing him presumably aren't as inept as their client & the arguments that his conduct sometimes forces them into the corner of being.

Like how on earth is asking whether Trump wore a condom not way more prejudicial than it is probative?

Yeah, this is presumably one of the things that Merchan ruled as a threshold matter would've been better off left unsaid, as the prosecutors had gone to the lengths of arguing justifying it:

Hoffinger points out that her account is highly probative of Trump's intent.

This is precisely about what the defendant did not want to become public, Hoffinger continues, and points out that this is not a new account. These details, including the lack of condom, have been out in public for some time. And anyway, the defense opened the door to this.

The defense opened to door to this, esp[ecially] the parking lot threat, when in opening statements they said Daniels was motivated by money, and specifically put in an exhibit related to Davidson's testimony in which they referenced the threat.

Hoffinger says there were details left out based on Merchan's instructions at the bench, and they've treaded very careful this entire testimony. [...]

Hoffinger: "They opened the door to the threat in 2011...Your honor, this goes directly to her credibility, which they attacked, and will continue to attack...At the end of the day, this is what the defendant was trying to hide in terms of the payoff in 2016 before the election."
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2363 on: May 08, 2024, 12:44:48 AM »

Rikers Island jail ‘ready’ to receive Donald Trump, says Eric Adams
New York City mayor makes comment as ex-president could face temporary incarceration if he again violates gag order

The New York City mayor, Eric Adams, said the city’s notorious Rikers Island jail and its department of corrections were “ready” to receive Donald Trump, should the former US president and presumptive Republican presidential nominee make history and become the first former White House occupant ever put behind bars.

“They’re professionals,” Adams told reporters on Tuesday. “They’ll be ready.”

Trump is already the first former president ever criminally charged, facing 88 criminal charges.

But he could face temporary incarceration before any conviction, if he again violates a gag order in his New York trial on 34 charges concerning hush-money payments made as a form of election interference.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/07/trump-rikers-jail-eric-adams
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2364 on: May 08, 2024, 02:16:56 AM »

Rikers Island jail ‘ready’ to receive Donald Trump, says Eric Adams
New York City mayor makes comment as ex-president could face temporary incarceration if he again violates gag order

The New York City mayor, Eric Adams, said the city’s notorious Rikers Island jail and its department of corrections were “ready” to receive Donald Trump, should the former US president and presumptive Republican presidential nominee make history and become the first former White House occupant ever put behind bars.

“They’re professionals,” Adams told reporters on Tuesday. “They’ll be ready.”

Trump is already the first former president ever criminally charged, facing 88 criminal charges.

But he could face temporary incarceration before any conviction, if he again violates a gag order in his New York trial on 34 charges concerning hush-money payments made as a form of election interference.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/07/trump-rikers-jail-eric-adams

He'll fit in well with the Skinhead gangs, maybe getting a percentage of the black and Latino gang members to follow him too, more so than most white inmates.

If he's locked up with the white-collar criminals, he might get his legs broken.
Redban

« Reply #2365 on: May 08, 2024, 07:44:40 AM »

Adams with his sub-30% approval rating in NYC ... someone ought to tell the genius about the odds that Trump will go to Rikers, even if convicted
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2366 on: May 08, 2024, 07:52:45 AM »

Adams with his sub-30% approval rating in NYC ... someone ought to tell the genius about the odds that Trump will go to Rikers, even if convicted

Are you implying that he will get preferential treatment?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2367 on: May 08, 2024, 07:57:46 AM »

The Rikers story specifically refers to possible future violations of the gag order and that's what Adams was asked about. I think we all agree jail is unlikely as a sentence for conviction.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #2368 on: May 08, 2024, 11:42:11 AM »

So it looks like the state will rest its case sometime around the 20th or 21st. Depending on how long the defense's case is, we are looking at a verdict in early June, am I correct?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2369 on: May 08, 2024, 11:51:46 AM »

Early or mid June probably.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2370 on: May 08, 2024, 12:23:24 PM »

What is the time table on when Trump might go to jail if convicted? I would assume there's an appeals process. Really don't think he would have much of a chance in that case, the Feds can't tell NY who they can put in jail and swing voters aren't going to want someone being president from jail. He'd struggle to get even 45% (which is still way too high but would keep him from winning)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2371 on: May 08, 2024, 01:04:37 PM »

What is the time table on when Trump might go to jail if convicted? I would assume there's an appeals process. Really don't think he would have much of a chance in that case, the Feds can't tell NY who they can put in jail and swing voters aren't going to want someone being president from jail. He'd struggle to get even 45% (which is still way too high but would keep him from winning)

Is it clear that the prosecutors are even seeking a prison sentence in this case?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2372 on: May 08, 2024, 01:12:08 PM »

Is it clear that the prosecutors are even seeking a prison sentence in this case?

I don't know, but if he just gets probation after all this, it will be pretty anticlimactic.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2373 on: May 08, 2024, 01:20:15 PM »

Hopefully at least some community service!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2374 on: May 08, 2024, 01:39:59 PM »

Sentencing typically happens a few weeks after trial ends in a guilty verdict. If Trump gets jail time (& if it were anybody else, it wouldn't be controversial to suggest that 10 instances of being held in criminal contempt are possibly the difference between probation & time in prison even for a first-time nonviolent offender), the question likely immediately becomes how can he try getting bail pending appeal ASAP (assuming that the question wasn't already forced by a remand pending sentencing to be how can he get bail pending sentencing ASAP).
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies