Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:12:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 46046 times)
Higgins
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: May 29, 2020, 07:48:31 PM »

Rumors are going around that heavily armed white supremacist groups have showed up and intend to target business with more arson tonight.

Mhm. Sure.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #601 on: May 29, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 08:08:54 PM by lfromnj »

Rumors are going around that heavily armed white supremacist groups have showed up and intend to target business with more arson tonight.
We heard rumors of the same thing last night about white supremacists with Texas plates and guns.
It was fake IIRC, should still keep a watch.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #602 on: May 29, 2020, 07:59:15 PM »

I'll be trying to focus on Minneapolis tonight. There are protests all over, including in front of the White House and in Atlanta, as well as places that had protests last night. Things in Minneapolis feel different tonight with the national guard and state patrol involved. I am going to try not to overwhelm this thread, but I do want to document important things that may happen.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #603 on: May 29, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »

This is the part where I ask you all to keep it civil and on topic, Then you all ignore me and I start shovelling out infractions.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #604 on: May 29, 2020, 08:03:24 PM »

This is worrying. Any and all arsonists should be treated with full force of the law.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #605 on: May 29, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »

The third precinct area is where the protests have been centered for the most part the last few nights.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #606 on: May 29, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »

Curfews on protests are bullsh**t violations of the 1st amendment, There is no reason that a blanket time is a fair restriction on a protest.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #607 on: May 29, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

We need a separate thread for the protests at this point.
Omega21

« Reply #608 on: May 29, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »

How is this not a thing every day in the US?

You have 30,000 people dying every year because "You can't pay your healthcare bills!"

Guess most just got used to that kind of inhumanity through the years.

Now, back on topic, I really hope those POS will face the strictest lawful punishment, but this is just insane.

So many middle-class owned businesses being ruined for nothing. The police cars will be covered by middle-class taxes as well, so it's just making things worse.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #609 on: May 29, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »

America is broken
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #610 on: May 29, 2020, 08:31:14 PM »

If someone would prefer I move this to a different, let me know. IMO, this was sparked by the death if George Floyd, so I'll stay here unless asked to move.

On topic:
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #611 on: May 29, 2020, 08:33:26 PM »

Just made one now.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=375924.0
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #612 on: May 29, 2020, 08:33:58 PM »

2020 is looking like the ending of the film Joker. The crowds rioting are also very multiracial and while I believe some are sympathetic to racial progress and equal justice it feels like more of a temper tantrum and backlash to everything.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #613 on: May 29, 2020, 08:35:07 PM »

How is this not a thing every day in the US?

You have 30,000 people dying every year because "You can't pay your healthcare bills!"

Source on number? I can find just two similar links:

"Medical injuries in US hospitals cause more than 30 000 deaths each year"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC218807/

And a fact check on Bernie Sanders (On the Kaiser site, but from politifact):

https://khn.org/news/fuzzy-math-fuels-sanders-claim-that-cost-barriers-to-health-care-kill-30000-a-year/

If you believe everything Bernie says without factchecking, you aren't thinking straight.

Quotes:

"We reached out to the Sanders campaign but never heard back."

"multiple experts suggested that the 30,000 figure, while not conjured out of thin air, relies on math that is shaky at best."

"He said the group looked at the Oregon Health Insurance Experiment, a landmark study in which some state residents had been assigned Medicaid coverage by lottery, and others remained uninsured. One year into that study, researchers found the death rate differed by 0.13 percentage points between those who received insurance and those who did not."

"But, per the researchers’ analysis, that difference was not statistically significant. (That’s important and something we’ll come back to.)"

"While it yielded important findings, the death rate differential in particular is not statistically significant, so it cannot be applied so broadly, he said."

"But it isn’t a one-to-one substitution.

For instance, there are healthy people who lack insurance but may not need much medical care in that particular year, or may simply choose not to buy it."

TLDR: Sander's claim is based on a statistically meaningless 0.13% life/death difference rate. No evidence for any of it.

Now, back on topic, I really hope those POS will face the strictest lawful punishment, but this is just insane.

So many middle-class owned businesses being ruined for nothing. The police cars will be covered by middle-class taxes as well, so it's just making things worse.

Yes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #614 on: May 29, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »

No it isn't.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #615 on: May 29, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »

I'm trying to watch CNN but the CNN reporter Nick Valencia is sounding a little too "chummy" with the rioters, and Chris Cuomo is asking whether or not the crowd is "diverse".

Unbelievable. It's always about demographics. LOL
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #616 on: May 29, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »

2020 is looking like the ending of the film Joker. The crowds rioting are also very multiracial and while I believe some are sympathetic to racial progress and equal justice it feels like more of a temper tantrum and backlash to everything.

Isn't it possible that some of this is being fueled by anger at the stay-at-home orders? Or anger with the entire situation? What I find also to be indicative of its effects is the history of the man who was murdered, George Floyd. He was laid off from his job as a bouncer because of the shutdown in Minnesota.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #617 on: May 29, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »

That's what the rest of the world is seeing right now.

(Of course, I think that's a partial judgement which, if true, equally applies to many other countries, including my own.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #618 on: May 29, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »

I'm trying to watch CNN but the CNN reporter Nick Valencia is sounding a little too "chummy" with the rioters, and Chris Cuomo is asking whether or not the crowd is "diverse".

Unbelievable. It's always about demographics. LOL
Cooper tried to still compare these with the Michigan protests of a few weeks ago.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #619 on: May 29, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »

I'd be able to say I'm a subject of the Queen, which would be an honor.

Ireland doesn't have the Queen. It's not even in the Commonwealth.

Northern Ireland has the Queen, but it also has, as I'm sure you know, vastly more fractious politics than what you seem to be looking for.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #620 on: May 29, 2020, 09:01:04 PM »

Northern Ireland has the Queen, but it also has, as I'm sure you know, vastly more fractious politics than what you seem to be looking for.
I just want to reflect on this for a moment. Higgins is so ignorant of the world that he thinks the British monarchy continues to rule over Ireland.
Higgins
« Reply #621 on: May 29, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »

I just want to reflect on this for a moment. Higgins is so ignorant of the world that he thinks the British monarchy continues to rule over Ireland.

Actually, I know it doesn't. Once there, could much more easily move to the North and see if I like it there. The Good Ship America is sinking and I want off.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #622 on: May 29, 2020, 09:12:51 PM »

We need to separate rioters, protesters, and looters because they are all different and have to be considered as such.
Protesters: people who march out peacefully but vigorously and use their 1st amendment rights to petition for better treatment from the government. They are key in keeping up pressure on the MPD and they should be lauded.
Rioters: the fringe elements disparately connected to the protestors in theory but with different tactics, which involve destroying private property, harming what little remains of civic peace, and literally and figuratively pouring gasoline on the fire.
Looters: opportunistic sorts focused not on any greivances they might have about the status quo but rather using the anarchy to rob people and attack people and steal their belongings.
The first group should not be tarred with the misguided frenzy of the second and the villainous harm of the third. Public order has to be upheld and so does the social contract. The social peace MUST be preserved or else things fall apart.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #623 on: May 29, 2020, 09:15:06 PM »

We need to separate rioters, protesters, and looters because they are all different and have to be considered as such.
Protesters: people who march out peacefully but vigorously and use their 1st amendment rights to petition for better treatment from the government. They are key in keeping up pressure on the MPD and they should be lauded.
Rioters: the fringe elements disparately connected to the protestors in theory but with different tactics, which involve destroying private property, harming what little remains of civic peace, and literally and figuratively pouring gasoline on the fire.
Looters: opportunistic sorts focused not on any greivances they might have about the status quo but rather using the anarchy to rob people and attack people and steal their belongings.
The first group should not be tarred with the misguided frenzy of the second and the villainous harm of the third. Public order has to be upheld and so does the social contract. The social peace MUST be preserved or else things fall apart.

This, x 10,000
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #624 on: May 29, 2020, 09:15:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length