Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:15:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 47213 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: May 29, 2020, 01:10:50 PM »

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #476 on: May 29, 2020, 01:11:47 PM »

Interesting. Would have presumed 2nd, but assume 3rd is easier to prove.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #477 on: May 29, 2020, 01:12:10 PM »

Yeah. You can stand for the flag and also protest. There's still a hell of a difference between him and these criminals.

The flag is a symbol, and I leave symbols to the symbol-minded.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #478 on: May 29, 2020, 01:13:01 PM »

Yeah. You can stand for the flag and also protest. There's still a hell of a difference between him and these criminals.

That's your choice, just as it was Kaepernicks. But I also have the choice to judge him for it, and to refuse to support it.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #479 on: May 29, 2020, 01:13:05 PM »

Now I suspect they will start putting George Floyd on trial.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #480 on: May 29, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »

God do I miss George Carlin.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #481 on: May 29, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »

FU fatso.

Peter King's long lost cousin!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #482 on: May 29, 2020, 01:17:00 PM »

Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #483 on: May 29, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »

Since a lot of people seem to be missing the point: No, I'm not for war.

The point is that the Boston Tea Party is seen as a "good" point in American history. It's destruction of property and income that Americans have been encouraged to celebrate nearly as long as the country has existed.

Many of the same people who look on the Boston Tea Party with rose-colored glasses are decrying the destruction in Minneapolis as absolutely unforgiveable, horrible, etc.

I'm not saying it's good, but it's completely understandable. If you listen or read Mr. King's "The Other America" speech, you'll see that relatively little has changed for minorities in the United States even since his speech, which was given 53 years ago. My mom, who is now dead, was in high school when he gave that speech.

So, yeah, the destruction sucks. But Black America has been suffering since the founding of the nation (and even before that, but we'll generously give that a pass). The Boston Tea Party is celebrated and held up as an example of American determinism for freedom, and that happened after a relatively short amount of time of dealing with the tyranny of the British Empire.

But we should completely denounce and ignore the point of protestors now because they're lashing out after living their whole lifetime in a system built to systemically hold them back?

Yeah, no.

Destruction of property isn't good, but it sure as sunlight doesn't make their point any less valid. And if the Boston Tea Party (and the many other riots and incidents of property destruction in Americans' push for freedom) shows American dedication to freedom, so too does Minneapolis.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #484 on: May 29, 2020, 01:23:45 PM »

The point is that the Boston Tea Party is seen as a "good" point in American history. It's destruction of property and income that Americans have been encouraged to celebrate nearly as long as the country has existed.

Many of the same people who look on the Boston Tea Party with rose-colored glasses are decrying the destruction in Minneapolis as absolutely unforgiveable, horrible, etc.

I'm not saying it's good, but it's completely understandable. If you listen or read Mr. King's "The Other America" speech, you'll see that relatively little has changed for minorities in the United States even since his speech, which was given 53 years ago. My mom, who is now dead, was in high school when he gave that speech.

So, yeah, the destruction sucks. But Black America has been suffering since the founding of the nation (and even before that, but we'll generously give that a pass). The Boston Tea Party is celebrated and held up as an example of American determinism for freedom, and that happened after a relatively short amount of time of dealing with the tyranny of the British Empire.

But we should completely denounce and ignore the point of protestors now because they're lashing out after living their whole lifetime in a system built to systemically hold them back?

Yeah, no.

Destruction of property isn't good, but it sure as sunlight doesn't make their point any less valid. And if the Boston Tea Party (and the many other riots and incidents of property destruction in Americans' push for freedom) shows American dedication to freedom, so too does Minneapolis.

What property are you speaking of?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #485 on: May 29, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »

Yeah, no.

Its possible to denounce the rioters without ignoring their point.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #486 on: May 29, 2020, 01:28:10 PM »

Will he survive his arrest or the arresting officer will use the usual strenght?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #487 on: May 29, 2020, 01:29:37 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #488 on: May 29, 2020, 01:30:33 PM »

Yeah. And look where it has led us to.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. 
Have a counter punch better than that or are you just vomiting white guilt all over me instead?

Please tell me how a football player peacefully protesting police brutality has led to the situation we are in (more police brutality). 
Simple: he was an asshole about it and now rioters are acting like assholes. Did you not see them try to drag a woman out of her car? The cries of “kill whitey?”

You're smarter than this.

No, actually he isn't.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #489 on: May 29, 2020, 01:32:11 PM »

Will he survive his arrest or the arresting officer will use the usual strenght?

"He's fine.  He's alright.  Quit whining."
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #490 on: May 29, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »

The Minnesota second-degree murder statute appears to be pretty narrow, the only option would be to make the case that the office was committing some kind of felony, which I can't imagine he would be found to be doing. Third degree appears to be the appropriate crime, with the bolded being the appropriate option.

Minnesota law prohibits intentional and unintentional killings under most circumstances. Those killings prohibited as second-degree murder include:

Killing a human intentionally, but without premeditation (not thinking about or preparing for before)
Killing a human while committing or attempting a drive-by shooting
Causing someone’s death without intending the death of anyone, while committing a felony other than criminal sexual conduct (rape or sexual assault which would be first degree murder) or a drive-by shooting
Causing a death unintentionally, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict great physical harm on the victim when the murderer is currently restrained by a protection order (including for domestic violence, harassment, divorce, or any similar protection order) and the victim was the protected party in that order

Third-degree murder in Minnesota is causing someone’s death by one of two ways:

A depraved heart or mind murder, which places others in eminent danger of death and disregarding human life (such as shooting a gun into a crowd for fun, but not intending to kill anyone)
Causing someone’s death by selling, giving away, or administering a Schedule I or II controlled substance (such as selling someone adulterated heroin that kills them)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #491 on: May 29, 2020, 01:39:02 PM »

The Minnesota second-degree murder statute appears to be pretty narrow, the only option would be to make the case that the office was committing some kind of felony, which I can't imagine he would be found to be doing. Third degree appears to be the appropriate crime, with the bolded being the appropriate option.

Minnesota law prohibits intentional and unintentional killings under most circumstances. Those killings prohibited as second-degree murder include:

Killing a human intentionally, but without premeditation (not thinking about or preparing for before)
Killing a human while committing or attempting a drive-by shooting
Causing someone’s death without intending the death of anyone, while committing a felony other than criminal sexual conduct (rape or sexual assault which would be first degree murder) or a drive-by shooting
Causing a death unintentionally, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict great physical harm on the victim when the murderer is currently restrained by a protection order (including for domestic violence, harassment, divorce, or any similar protection order) and the victim was the protected party in that order

Third-degree murder in Minnesota is causing someone’s death by one of two ways:

A depraved heart or mind murder, which places others in eminent danger of death and disregarding human life (such as shooting a gun into a crowd for fun, but not intending to kill anyone)
Causing someone’s death by selling, giving away, or administering a Schedule I or II controlled substance (such as selling someone adulterated heroin that kills them)

I mean, I feel like "Killing a human intentionally, but without premeditation" was what happened, but I agree that the proof for that isn't there.

Whatever the case, I'm glad he's in jail. It's ridiculous that he wasn't in the first place. It's like if cops saw someone shoot someone while coming out of a store and didn't arrest them. You find out later that the shooting was in self-defense, but you still arrest the guy who did the shooting. Here, you don't know what happened "exactly," but there was a murder, so of course you lock the guy up while you figure out your case.

Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #492 on: May 29, 2020, 01:41:22 PM »

This gives me solace now but we still must fix the underlying problem.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #493 on: May 29, 2020, 01:44:06 PM »

Here is the link, if anyone wants to watch/listen. It is about 5-1/2 minutes long ...
https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/05/29/biden-george-floyd-statement-sot-crn-vpx.cnn

Biden speaks like a leader.
Far more than what we are seeing today from the Orange Buffoon and his Twitter nonsense.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #494 on: May 29, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »

Question: does anyone know exactly what happened last night in Louisville? Did police fire on the protesters? Did someone else?

It doesn't look like anyone else has responded to this, so I'll give what little I know.

Some folks tried tipping over or did successfully tip over an ambulance, and then shots were fired. The mayor claims that no police service weapons were fired.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #495 on: May 29, 2020, 01:55:12 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 03:36:03 PM by R.P. McM »

Lmao.

"If anyone has any civil war tips that do not include guns please pass them my way"

Peak Twitter/Chapotoids

LOL. But the prospect of a second civil war really does carry a lot of currency on the right. Anecdotally, my authoritarian company commander in the MN National Guard openly salivated at the possibility seven or eight years ago. In a semi-professional setting, apropos nothing. Granted, he was a very stupid man. However, my mother's SO is a retired county attorney — not so stupid. We've taken numerous fishing trips together, and he's regaled me with conspiracy theories about global warming, George Soros, Black Lives Matter, COVID-19, Antifa, the Obama Administration bulk-purchasing 5.56 ammunition, the IRS "scandal," etc. He's far from a moron, but the media he consumes has poisoned his mind to the extent that seemingly ludicrous propositions appear reasonable to him. And he cast a protest vote in 2016! So I can only imagine the surreal, dystopian nonsense circulating through the head of a Republican regular in 2020.  
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #496 on: May 29, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »

Lmao.

"If anyone has any civil war tips that do not include guns please pass them my way"

Peak Twitter/Chapotoids

Okay well that quote is kinda funny

Though our circumstances are not
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #497 on: May 29, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »

No mention of the Minneapolis situation during the brief Trump news conference. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #498 on: May 29, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »

No mention of the Minneapolis situation during the brief Trump news conference. 

Of course. It doesn't involve his fight to control what is said about him, his fight to shut down speech he disagrees with, neither the stock market.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #499 on: May 29, 2020, 02:09:33 PM »

With everything that’s going on right now, from Trump to Minneapolis to Arbery, I can’t help but think back to what an anonymous stranger told me on a forum for expats when I was researching moving abroad in 2015.

He said that America is going to follow the same path as Cuba: the smartest left on airplanes, the next smartest left on fishing boats, and the dumbest waited until things got so bad that they had no choice but to leave on makeshift rafts made of plywood and empty barrels. If only immigrating to Canada was still as easy as it was for the draft dodgers in the 60s.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies