Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 01:20:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43
Author Topic: Minneapolis cops slowly murder handcuffed man in front of crowd  (Read 47196 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: May 29, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #501 on: May 29, 2020, 02:12:30 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 02:34:54 PM by lfromnj »

Cool they want their building to burn they can, stop involving other people who don't want that and can't afford in the name of #justice

There is 0 excuse for burning private property here and stop trying to give them an excuse!. Instead just say this

Looters are awful people who need to be arrested as soon as control of the area is taken of while the cop should be tried for murder and peaceful protesters should be allowed to continue to do that.
(Say whatever you want about the rioters at the police station)

Just stop trying to be #woke and actually trying to think that most people are fine with their life being destroyed.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #502 on: May 29, 2020, 02:13:29 PM »

I agree with much of the sentiments, the desire the demand for justice

But I also agree with business owners who will do all they can to defend their livelihoods
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #503 on: May 29, 2020, 02:13:45 PM »

FOX News has turned off both comments and likes/dislikes on their video of the Chauvin arrest. Interesting. Other news channels don't seem to have done this. LOL
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #504 on: May 29, 2020, 02:22:10 PM »

What happens if a significant portion of the cops involved in this saga are not ultimately convicted?
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #505 on: May 29, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »

What happens if a significant portion of the cops involved in this saga are not ultimately convicted?

It's not going to be pretty. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #506 on: May 29, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »

Depends on what happens to Chauvin, I presume.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #507 on: May 29, 2020, 02:37:08 PM »

And it will be compounded when the vigilantes in Georgia are acquitted. I was reading the Officer.com forum megathread about this, and they’re all in agreement that because the victim entered the constraints site he committed trespassing and burglary and the vigilantes were making a lawful citizens arrest, meaning that the killing was justified because he failed to follow simple commands, and it’s all the big bad media’s fault bEcAuSe tHeY mAkE eVeRyThInG aBoUt rAcE!!!!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2020, 02:38:14 PM »

Depends on what happens to Chauvin, I presume.

Yep. It's this guy that will determine how the public reacts in the future.
But we are a long way from that.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #509 on: May 29, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »

Yeah. And look where it has led us to.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. 
Have a counter punch better than that or are you just vomiting white guilt all over me instead?

Please tell me how a football player peacefully protesting police brutality has led to the situation we are in (more police brutality). 
Simple: he was an asshole about it and now rioters are acting like assholes. Did you not see them try to drag a woman out of her car? The cries of “kill whitey?”

You're smarter than this.

I'm honestly not sure if he is.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #510 on: May 29, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »

We could have a Rodney King riots then. Depending on how this unfolds.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #511 on: May 29, 2020, 02:44:49 PM »

try not to believe everything that you see on Twitter from random people:
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #512 on: May 29, 2020, 02:48:25 PM »

Here’s the thing, These protestors are clearly not social distancing, are in a large group, and seem to have little regard for the current crisis. While some are wearing masks, it doesn’t make it safe to get in large groups when a thousand people each day are still dying from Covid-19. These protestors are irresponsible, and are as complicit in the murder of civilians as the by standing cops were. It’s a shame how the anti-lockdown protestors were attacked for being selfish, but these protestors are now suddenly okay because they happen to be on a different political side.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #513 on: May 29, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 02:53:19 PM by lfromnj »

I mean I wouldn't trust the cops either, the only reason I discouraged posting that here was because it named a specific cop.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #514 on: May 29, 2020, 02:50:34 PM »

That's why I didn't share it. It's obvious someone was intentionally breaking windows and not part iof the protest, but right now that's all that can be determined.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #515 on: May 29, 2020, 02:50:43 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 03:05:37 PM by lfromnj »

Also does atlas realize how insurance works?
Its not just free stuff, you pay with premiums and its very likely that even if the insurance companies cover riots they will still locally raise premiums due to increased risk, which massively hurts the small businesses in this location if they continue to buy insurance

It is not acceptable to say but the insurance covers everybody so its fine. Even if the looting was just aimed at bigger companies like Target, the premium increase would still likely be spread out.
This is even assuming they cover rioting.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #516 on: May 29, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »

try not to believe everything that you see on Twitter from random people ...

But since trump is not "random people," we should believe everything he says on Twitter.
OK, got it.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2020, 02:52:49 PM »

We could have a Rodney King riots then. Depending on how this unfolds.

It will be worse.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »

Its not just free stuff, you pay with premiums and its very likely that even if the insurance companies cover riots they will still locally raise premiums due to increased risk, which massively hurts the small businesses in this location if they continue to buy insurance

Yes, we realize how insurance works. You realize most of these businesses are screwed whether they get looted or not, right?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #519 on: May 29, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »

Here’s the thing, These protestors are clearly not social distancing, are in a large group, and seem to have little regard for the current crisis. While some are wearing masks, it doesn’t make it safe to get in large groups when a thousand people each day are still dying from Covid-19. These protestors are irresponsible, and are as complicit in the murder of civilians as the by standing cops were. It’s a shame how the anti-lockdown protestors were attacked for being selfish, but these protestors are now suddenly okay because they happen to be on a different political side.
Yes, they're being irresponsible. I'm sure the number of protestors would be even higher if it weren't for the virus. But unlike the lockdown protestors, these folks are protesting the systemic racism and injustice that has been active their whole lives. Lockdown protestors were grumpy that their life was difficult for a few weeks.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #520 on: May 29, 2020, 02:57:34 PM »

Absolutely true.
Not to mention the deductibles that the owners will need to pay, and they could be hefty.
Arguments/Disagreements with the insurance companies regarding valuation of this and that, how some items are covered and others are not, it's a big mess.
I wouldn't be surprised if some businesses never re-open, and some others decide to leave.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #521 on: May 29, 2020, 03:02:19 PM »

So, here’s why you should be pretty p*ssed at the “third degree murder” charge. It’s a charge that exists in the law books of just a few states - Minnesota being one of them. It has been increasingly used by Minnesota state courts as a way of charging drug dealers with murder in cases of fatal drug overdoses. Although they didn’t deliberately mean to kill a person and may even feel awful, they are nonetheless still able to be charged with murder. The article snippet below explains...

Jason Ramsdell wasn't breathing. His skin was blue when Morrison County emergency workers began trying to revive him on Feb. 12, 2010. But it was no use. The 28-year-old man was dead.

Inside his mouth deputies found a medicinal patch containing Fentanyl, a synthetic opiate similar to methadone or OxyContin that doctors prescribe to treat pain. Ramsdell didn't obtain the drug that killed him from a doctor.

Instead, he bought it from Patricia Taylor, who confessed to police that she sold Fentanyl patches to Ramsdell for $100 on the day he died. Prosecutors charged Taylor, 58, of Browerville, Minn., with third-degree murder. She pleaded guilty and is serving a 74-month sentence.

"I've been a prosecutor for just about 21 years and I had never seen, nor charged, or been a law clerk for a murder in the third degree, until I did the Taylor case," said Assistant Morrison County Attorney Todd Kosovich, who prosecuted the case.

[...]

Kosovich said the tragic nature of the case of Ramsdell's death made him look for what he called a "new sword" when charging Taylor. He settled on third degree murder, which applies to cases that don't involve premeditation.

"It's not an intentional murder, and that's the biggest difference," Kosovich said. "Usually the defendants themselves are devastated that they've killed a friend."

The courts are saying that this police officer didn’t deliberately kill the African American man whose neck he deliberately knelt on for 10 minutes, even after he pleaded for his life because he couldn’t breathe. Despite that and his history of being actively involved in numerous other potentially racist or excessive use of force incidences, the courts still want to pretend like they are committed to justice while still providing a cover for fragile white racists and future police officers involved in such atrocities. Nothing has changed and his arrest and charge with “third degree murder” is meant to provide an illusion of justice to get people off the streets.

Source
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #522 on: May 29, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »

Absolutely true.
Not to mention the deductibles that the owners will need to pay, and they could be hefty.
Arguments/Disagreements with the insurance companies regarding valuation of this and that, how some items are covered and others are not, it's a big mess.
I wouldn't be surprised if some businesses never re-open, and some others decide to leave.

I mean, you could just look at what's happened following riots of the past and have a fairly solid understanding.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #523 on: May 29, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »

try not to believe everything that you see on Twitter from random people ...

But since trump is not "random people," we should believe everything he says on Twitter.
OK, got it.
I'm confused what does my post have to do with Trump. I never said that. I'm referring to one specific situation. My point is that keyboard warriors/Twitter detectives are usually wrong and once again they are.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #524 on: May 29, 2020, 03:09:35 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 05:40:14 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Interesting. Would have presumed 2nd, but assume 3rd is easier to prove.

The Minnesota second-degree murder statute appears to be pretty narrow, the only option would be to make the case that the office was committing some kind of felony, which I can't imagine he would be found to be doing. Third degree appears to be the appropriate crime, with the bolded being the appropriate option.

Minnesota law prohibits intentional and unintentional killings under most circumstances. Those killings prohibited as second-degree murder include:

Killing a human intentionally, but without premeditation (not thinking about or preparing for before)
Killing a human while committing or attempting a drive-by shooting
Causing someone’s death without intending the death of anyone, while committing a felony other than criminal sexual conduct (rape or sexual assault which would be first degree murder) or a drive-by shooting
Causing a death unintentionally, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict great physical harm on the victim when the murderer is currently restrained by a protection order (including for domestic violence, harassment, divorce, or any similar protection order) and the victim was the protected party in that order

Third-degree murder in Minnesota is causing someone’s death by one of two ways:

A depraved heart or mind murder, which places others in eminent danger of death and disregarding human life (such as shooting a gun into a crowd for fun, but not intending to kill anyone)
Causing someone’s death by selling, giving away, or administering a Schedule I or II controlled substance (such as selling someone adulterated heroin that kills them)

I mean, I feel like "Killing a human intentionally, but without premeditation" was what happened, but I agree that the proof for that isn't there.

Whatever the case, I'm glad he's in jail. It's ridiculous that he wasn't in the first place. It's like if cops saw someone shoot someone while coming out of a store and didn't arrest them. You find out later that the shooting was in self-defense, but you still arrest the guy who did the shooting. Here, you don't know what happened "exactly," but there was a murder, so of course you lock the guy up while you figure out your case.

I was watching some legal channel last night, and the lawyers on the show thought that it could be, at minimum, a second degree murder charge.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies