IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:11:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 64535 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: October 25, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
« edited: October 25, 2020, 11:08:55 AM by DaleCooper »

Y'all, idk if court packing will happen either (I've been disappointed by fence sitting dems too much thus far), but Biden and Schumer aren't clowns. They've clearly talked to Manchin, Sinema, and whoever else about this, that's why everyone is dodging questions on it and saying stuff about how they're "not a fan" or "apprehensive" and whatnot. Every dodge is more political capital they're sinking into this, so either it's all one big bluff (which would be just astoundingly incompetent even for the Democratic Party) or they are at least seriously considering it.

Court packing will happen once SCOTUS oversteps its boundaries and repeals either Obamacare or overturns Roe v. Wade. That'll also probably be when public opinion shifts in favor of judicial reform.  
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #851 on: October 25, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »

My only confident prediction is that this thread will be a complete mess on/after election night.

Agreed. Both the presidential and Senate races in Iowa have been very divisive on this forum. I think this will be the final showdown between the “2016 trends” and “WWC will snap back” groups.

It'll be especially nasty if Iowa gives us a split verdict on Pres/Senate, lol.

I'm not changing my prediction maps in my profile, fwiw. MT and both GA seats flip before IA.

I’m really gonna flip out if Biden wins Iowa but Greenfield doesn’t.  Same with North Carolina (if Biden wins while Cunningham doesn’t).  A Senate seat is so much more valuable than a few extra electoral votes (which really have no value on their own if you are already at or above 270).

Hence my signature. This is why the "check on Biden" talking point (even when it's made with positive intentions) is potentially so dangerous for Democrats. Things aren't going to get any better if Republicans keep the Senate, no matter how much Biden wins by.

Given Trump's insanity and the SCOTUS going conservative + people not believing polls - I don't think there will be much, if any at all, of the "check on Biden" stuff this year.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #852 on: October 25, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »

*snip*

Now she’s unskewing the polls? Her campaign is a dumpster fire.

Smiley Sane and principled suburban Des Moines conservatives for Greenfield  Smiley

Is she trying to put the final nail in her coffin? Or has she just gone completely nuts? The fallout from the debunked conspiracy theory and soybeangate was already damning enough, but this will make waves locally and it’s certainly not the story she needs as voting is already underway. It’s like she knows she’s going to be voted out and has basically decided to throw in the towel.

What happened to her campaigning skills? I really miss the good old days of the strong Joni Ernst in 2014 who didn’t run on animal abuse, didn’t claim that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, never said that she wasn’t sure whether humans contributed to climate change or not, and didn’t embrace a ‘wild’ conspiracy theory according to which the United Nations would force farmers to abandon their land to live in cities. What happened?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #853 on: October 25, 2020, 12:57:33 PM »

Why would any conservative, or even a moderate vote for Greenfield?

Voters are not, by and large, ideologically coherent folk.
Saruku

« Reply #854 on: October 25, 2020, 07:53:58 PM »

*snip*

Now she’s unskewing the polls? Her campaign is a dumpster fire.

Smiley Sane and principled suburban Des Moines conservatives for Greenfield  Smiley

Is she trying to put the final nail in her coffin? Or has she just gone completely nuts? The fallout from the debunked conspiracy theory and soybeangate was already damning enough, but this will make waves locally and it’s certainly not the story she needs as voting is already underway. It’s like she knows she’s going to be voted out and has basically decided to throw in the towel.

What happened to her campaigning skills? I really miss the good old days of the strong Joni Ernst in 2014 who didn’t run on animal abuse, didn’t claim that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, never said that she wasn’t sure whether humans contributed to climate change or not, and didn’t embrace a ‘wild’ conspiracy theory according to which the United Nations would force farmers to abandon their land to live in cities. What happened?
Don't forget the haircut! That may be the most key difference.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #855 on: October 27, 2020, 08:57:31 PM »

Slate has a good interview about this race

The Iowa Senate Race Wasn’t Supposed to Be This Close
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/10/iowa-senate-race-joni-ernst-theresa-greenfield.html

( podcast version: https://slate.com/podcasts/what-next/2020/10/iowa-senate-race-ernst-greenfield  )
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #856 on: October 27, 2020, 09:42:21 PM »

This is an interesting take, since go back to the threads about her in 2014, and basically everyone here, including the Republicans, thought she was a Palinesque dufus.

I'm not sure how she convinced anyone otherwise (or if she even really did), but her "hurr durr actually only 9,000 COVID deaths" conspiracizing should have been proof enough that she never stopped being one.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #857 on: October 28, 2020, 12:27:19 AM »

How one state can crystalized users opinions about the way it will vote, D's obviously took back Congressional districts in 2018, 3/1, Lead in districts. They are gonna win again in 2020
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #858 on: October 28, 2020, 01:21:09 AM »

Are we getting another Selzer poll of this race?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #859 on: October 28, 2020, 02:20:30 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2020, 12:53:58 PM by Blair »

I think lots of people (including myself) should have looked at how effective the repeal of the ACA was in getting rid of Blum and Young in the two congressional race & then assumed that healthcare would be a drag on Ernst- the fact that she voted in favour of the democrats senate motion on the ACA lawsuit shows that she's very aware of it...
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #860 on: October 31, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »

Ernst is up four. Well, this one was fun while it lasted. Guess the pig castrator gets six more years.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #861 on: October 31, 2020, 06:06:33 PM »

Ernst is up four. Well, this one was fun while it lasted. Guess the pig castrator gets six more years.

Let's be honest, she's a lifer if she wants to be. I guess Iowa loves incumbents after all.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #862 on: October 31, 2020, 06:16:12 PM »

Let's be honest, she's a lifer if she wants to be. I guess Iowa loves incumbents after all.

I don’t think it’s so much about incumbents as it is IA being a red state now. Still, the fact that Democrats need to win Senate seats in red states to win a majority just shows how unrepresentative it is.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #863 on: October 31, 2020, 06:18:13 PM »

Bad state. I wish I could be like SN and say to just junk it, but I think it's more likely than not that Ernst squeaks it out.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #864 on: October 31, 2020, 06:47:27 PM »

I don’t think it’s so much about incumbents as it is IA being a red state now. Still, the fact that Democrats need to win Senate seats in red states to win a majority just shows how unrepresentative it is.

To be fair, Democrats had a lot of missed opportunities (WI-2016, PA-2016, NC-2016, FL-2018). Also the small state advantage is canceled out by the fact that the smaller the state, the higher the chance it defects from it's usual partisanship.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #865 on: October 31, 2020, 06:49:42 PM »

To be fair, Democrats had a lot of missed opportunities (WI-2016, PA-2016, NC-2016, FL-2018). Also the small state advantage is canceled out by the fact that the smaller the state, the higher the chance it defects from it's usual partisanship.

I'd argue Texas or even Ohio are much easier lifts than, like, Wyoming or Idaho.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #866 on: October 31, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »

The Senate has been structured exactly the same way throughout this country's history. As I've said repeatedly, Democrats held Senate seats in states such as Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, the Dakotas-and of course, Montana-as late as 2010. And for a brief period in 2009-2010, from the time Al Franken was seated to the time that Scott Brown won the special election in Massachusetts, they held 60 seats. While I agree that it's unfortunate that our political environment has become polarized in this way, I also don't think that we should uproot this institution, and disrupt the balance between the two Houses of Congress.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #867 on: October 31, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »

michael_scott_noooooooooooooooo.gif
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #868 on: October 31, 2020, 07:21:04 PM »

I'd argue Texas or even Ohio are much easier lifts than, like, Wyoming or Idaho.

They are, but that's because OH and TX tend to be closer. As we've seen Democrats are bale to win seats in MT and WV, and even if they don't end up winning AK/MT/KS/SC, they at least have made them competative
walleye26

« Reply #869 on: October 31, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »

I want Ernst to lose so bad hopefully the Seltzer poll is off.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #870 on: October 31, 2020, 07:50:35 PM »

Their crosstabs are... interesting.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #871 on: October 31, 2020, 08:05:43 PM »

Elaborate?
walleye26

« Reply #872 on: October 31, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »

Elaborate?
It has Finkenauer losing by 13, 51-38, but Axne winning 50-45.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #873 on: October 31, 2020, 10:01:34 PM »

Elaborate?
It has Finkenauer losing by 13, 51-38, but Axne winning 50-45.

Finkenauer could lose, but that seems outside the range of reasonable outcomes unless there's something I'm missing
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #874 on: October 31, 2020, 10:54:13 PM »

So, I'm perfectly content to accept that IA is a GOP-leaning state and that Ernst could be 4 points ahead, but I'm confused by how we got here from 2 weeks ago when she was down by 5. Most of the news about the race that percolated up was neutral or positive for Greenfield. Did she lose late deciders because of partisan bias? That would suggest her leads a few weeks back were a chimera, but it wouldn't explain why things shifted in the past two weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies