DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:53:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40799 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2021, 10:42:48 PM »

So...what is the chance DC get statehood? I say around 20%.

I'd say same as you. There's a plausible chance but I'd be a bit surprised if it happens. Same with PR.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2021, 10:44:38 PM »

If DC statehood happens , then Georgia gets Maine ruled , then other things happen .

Just merge Maryland and DC together
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #327 on: January 29, 2021, 10:55:34 PM »

If DC statehood happens , then Georgia gets Maine ruled , then other things happen .

What part of MARYLAND DOESNT WANT THAT is so hard to understand?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #328 on: January 29, 2021, 10:58:19 PM »

I agree that I don't want an escalation of power grabs, but I don't like how people are looking at DC statehood as a power grab, it should be about giving people representation. Sure, you could argue DC would give minority voters, college-educated voters, and urban voters more representation in a Senate where they tend to be under-represented, but the real issue is just giving people representation in the first place. Furthermore, DC doesn't want to become part of MD and MD doesn't want to reclaim DC, so there's no reason to merge the 2 states when DC is already fast growing and has more folks than several other states.

Things like packing the SC, gerrymandering, or allocating electors in a state like GA are just clear power grabs, but DC statehood should be about giving people representation.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2021, 11:00:56 PM »

Neither one wants that. Statehood or bust.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2021, 11:02:27 PM »

What part of MARYLAND DOESNT WANT THAT is so hard to understand?

You act as if they care about the right to self-determination, be it MD's or DC's. They don't. If they did, then they'd have to be okay with the possibility of having to accept there being 2 more Democratic Senators, & they'll never be okay with that.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #331 on: January 29, 2021, 11:02:53 PM »

That would be way more of a power-grab than yall think DC statehood ever would be. The lack of brain cells...
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #332 on: January 29, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »

Is there a way DC gets 2 senators without becoming a state?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #333 on: January 29, 2021, 11:05:37 PM »

Why would those things be connected? If Georgia Republicans think that "Maine-ruling" Georgia is in their best interest, they'll do it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #334 on: January 29, 2021, 11:06:11 PM »

It would take a constitutional amendment and might even need to get over the entrenched clause. Practically impossible.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #335 on: January 29, 2021, 11:08:41 PM »

So...what is the chance DC get statehood? I say around 20%.

Unless there’s a major counter-offer, it’s going to happen.

HIGHLY doubt it happens.

I wish I hadn't already said 100% so I could raise my percentage in response to this "prediction"
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #336 on: January 29, 2021, 11:12:02 PM »

The D.C. Voting Rights Amendment being resurrected from the dead & ratified. Short of that, any method which would purport to grant D.C. full congressional representation that's not statehood would be blatantly unconstitutional.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #337 on: January 29, 2021, 11:15:03 PM »

Then, people (blue avatars) should stop overreacting. It's just 2 senators, both of whom will surely be wonderful people. The DC metro area obviously needs more representation in Congress anyway.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: January 29, 2021, 11:16:02 PM »

It would take a constitutional amendment and might even need to get over the entrenched clause. Practically impossible.

I never considered the potential equal suffrage implications, but now that I think about it, yeah, I'm sure some butthurt right-winger would've made a court case about it had the D.C. Voting Rights Amendment ever been ratified.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #339 on: January 29, 2021, 11:44:43 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2021, 11:48:22 PM by Remember the Capitol »

Great, hopefully Democrats start suppressing rural white voters and killing redistricting commissions.
While we are at it, let’s start actually bringing in swarms of illegals to vote (since the GOP wants to accuse of us that anyways lol) and intimidate potential Republicans from voting?
We can play this game, traitor. I know you hate America and are opposed to DC statehood ONLY for partisan reasons.
Also while we are at it, we should end all farm subsidies, push to make California five states, and deliberately tank the economy whenever a Republican is president. “Accidentally” see a bunch of rural precincts shut down a la Georgia, voting purges by Democratic SOSs, and spreading false Election Day/voter practice info among low propensity GOP communities so their ballots are invalid.
Yeah don’t start, OSR.

Your side has been rigging the game for years, if y’all so much as dare clutch a single pathetic Pearl, I sincerely hope the Democrats play scorched Earth.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #340 on: January 30, 2021, 12:08:57 AM »

Depends whether you think equal suffrage means (# of Senators)/(# of states), or the same number of Senators as any other state.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #341 on: January 30, 2021, 12:44:25 AM »

Honestly, what's the point. If we give DC all the rights of regular states through the long and difficult process of amending the constitution, why would that be better than just making them a state through reconciliation?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #342 on: January 30, 2021, 12:56:38 AM »

Just to second VARepublican, the Senate is hardly a slam dunk for Democrats even with DC statehood. Basically each additional seat means Democrats can lose one additional seat and hang onto the Senate, and that's with the fact that A. PR (or even other territories) aren't guaranteed to be as D as DC, so it might be a wash, B. Democrats have the slimmest possible majority right now, and C. at least Manchin is DOA in 2024 and the only potential pickups are TX and FL, so it's entirely possible that Democrats don't net seats until 2026.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #343 on: January 30, 2021, 01:36:17 AM »

Great, hopefully Democrats start suppressing rural white voters and killing redistricting commissions.
While we are at it, let’s start actually bringing in swarms of illegals to vote (since the GOP wants to accuse of us that anyways lol) and intimidate potential Republicans from voting?
We can play this game, traitor. I know you hate America and are opposed to DC statehood ONLY for partisan reasons.
Also while we are at it, we should end all farm subsidies, push to make California five states, and deliberately tank the economy whenever a Republican is president. “Accidentally” see a bunch of rural precincts shut down a la Georgia, voting purges by Democratic SOSs, and spreading false Election Day/voter practice info among low propensity GOP communities so their ballots are invalid.
Yeah don’t start, OSR.

Your side has been rigging the game for years, if y’all so much as dare clutch a single pathetic Pearl, I sincerely hope the Democrats play scorched Earth.

The problem with this approach is that it does the Republicans' job for them. It abuses representative government and the rule of law for political power. In the end, it doesn't matter whether they do that or we do that - America is destroyed either way.

This is why I think the GOP can be described as the political equivalent of a murderous suicide bomber. Either we let them destroy America, or they will push the button on destroy it anyway. The only workable course I can see is to hang on and defend democracy as best we can - working with the rule of law and democracy, and hoping that the GOP does not push the button until they have been dis-empowered by losing their voters, or until they come to their senses. (I now consider the latter to be unlikely in the extreme.)   
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #344 on: January 30, 2021, 02:51:28 AM »

Yeah don’t start, OSR.

You are extremely unhinged
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #345 on: January 30, 2021, 02:52:17 AM »

Why would those things be connected? If Georgia Republicans think that "Maine-ruling" Georgia is in their best interest, they'll do it.

It’s called both sides using this as leverage against each other to make sure the other thing doesn’t happen .
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #346 on: January 30, 2021, 03:29:20 AM »

It’s called both sides using this as leverage against each other to make sure the other thing doesn’t happen .

Have you ever heard about this crazy notion of just doing the right thing?

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #347 on: January 30, 2021, 03:30:06 AM »

The right thing is making sure neither thing happen
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: January 30, 2021, 03:41:34 AM »

In no universe does making sure the people of D.C. remain unrepresented in Congress constitute "the right thing." Jesus.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #349 on: January 30, 2021, 03:41:40 AM »

Care to offer even a scintilla of an argument as to why depriving 700,000 taxpayers of congressional representation is "the right thing"?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies