Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:07:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 ... 1170
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 916338 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6775 on: March 10, 2022, 10:01:48 PM »

Saddam claimed victory at home during the 1991 Gulf War. If he could do that, then Putin should be able to claim victory at home as well.

It would be better for Zelensky to renounce the Crimea. If it somehow returned to Ukraine, it would become a disloyal province that would be the target of infiltration from a still hostile state. The Donbass could be bought off by promising minority language rights and EU reconstruction funding.

Even if Zelensky promised not to lead Ukraine into NATO, I'm not sure how tenable that would be in practice. Ukraine would still be flooded with all the latest western weaponry, and Russia's army will still be a spent force. Ironically, before the war, Putin stated that it isn't enough for Ukraine to renounce joining NATO, since it could still become western-aligned in practice. He might be getting that wish after all.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6776 on: March 10, 2022, 10:05:23 PM »

A good thread, imo. The key for Ukraine has always been time. The longer they fight, even if territory is lost, the more of a quagmire the war becomes for Russia.

As I said before, Ukraine probably gives up joining NATO and concedes Crimea to Russia.

Putin then gets to spin that back home as a win

Do they still get into the EU? They are probably too poor but it would be a bit of a deterrent.

Yes.

In turn, Ukraine gives up any claims of reparations.

I am with you on this one.

Basically I am still sticking with:

A realistic solution might be:

Russian Crimea

Autonomous Donbas as part of Ukraine

Constitutional neutrality (Austria Style) with Russian guarantees in return

Ukraine can pursue EU

Only thing that might be different is Donbas, I can imagine the whole (de jure) region getting autonomy, but I can also imagine Ukraine renouncing the pre February 22 occupied areas, whilst maintaining federal control of the rest.

This scratches Putins itch for some kind of a "win", whilst also keeping Ukraine a viable & more stable nation with even more potential for the future, especially considering the level of Aid that the EU/US will pour in afterwards.

I worked with a lot of these men and women at my first job. I think Ukraine can become Europe’s India.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6777 on: March 10, 2022, 10:06:13 PM »

Protests continue in Russian Occupied Ukrainian Cities earlier today... Footage from Melitopol and Berdiansk (Haven't yet tracked down other non-violent protests today elsewhere)

Encouraging, but I want to see them start collecting scalps.

Who are "they" and whose "scalps" are they supposed to be collecting?

I totally understand and get it and feel the same level of pain and frustration as I read the stories, watch the images of the massive unwarranted and unjustified brutality leveled against not only the Government of Ukraine and military forces, but even more so against civilian populations throughout many parts of Ukraine, and so many actions that from my perspective clearly amount to War Crimes committed by the Russian Regime and Senior Military commanders.

I wish that I had all of the answers for the best ways to stop these atrocities and that the Russian people were able to see what is actually going on and hold those responsible fully accountable for their actions.

Still, I find your comment a bit disturbing, especially within the context of Ukrainian Civilians protesting non-violently in a couple cities under Russian military occupation.

Dehumanization of "the other" has so frequently been the rationale for those who perceive themselves to be aggrieved to then take "righteous revenge" upon the other and frequently turns into and endless cycle of violence and counter-violence.

We see that attitude hardening among many Ukrainians who are growing to hate not just Putin and his stooges, but *all Russians* after having experienced the atrocities at the hand of his war machine.

Fringe groups like the Ukrainian Neo-Nazi / "Far Right" Azov Battalion, which have played a significant role going back to the 2014 War are now producing significant casualties against Russian forces in various theaters of combat, and in many ways helped provide Putin with the "Ukrainians are Neo-Nazis" propaganda BS to sell the "Special Operation" to the Russian public.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

Although I will continue to cheer Ukrainian resistance in the face of such brutality, I take equal cheer when I see Russians finding ways to challenge and confront the totalitarian nature of their own society as well.

Russian conscripts aren't the real enemy here and within Russia Occupied Ukraine angry and militant protesters marching through the centers of cities using a mixture of Russian and Ukrainian are seen as "real people" from the perspective of the Russian soldier, and not the demons they were made out to be.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6778 on: March 10, 2022, 10:09:43 PM »

Quote from: pppolitics link=topic=469771.msg8516928#msg8516928 date=16469660
[tweet
https://twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1502077318465998848?s=20&t=p18 uid=13804]
A good thread, imo. The key for Ukraine has always been time. The longer they fight, even if territory is lost, the more of a quagmire the war becomes for Russia.

jNK-rLQjquvtlah-kYRxA[/tweet]

As I said before, Ukraine probably gives up joining NATO and concedes Crimea to Russia.

Do they still get into the EU? They are probably too poor but it would be a bit of a deterrent.

Yes.

The problem is that Putin sees Ukrainian membership of NATO and the EU as one in the same. That's why Euromaidan happened in the first place, Putin pressured Yanukovych into not singing Ukraine's EU Association Agreement. The whole business about NATO expansion is just manufactured justification for Russia's aggressive actions. If NATO wasn't an issue, there would be something else used as justification. Moldova has neutrality written into the Constitution. But Russia still constantly meddles in and threatens the country for sole purpose of preventing it from integrating with Europe and pursuing EU membership.

Russia is just cutting its loss at this point.

In just about every way, Russian is worse off than before the invasion.

Russia renew NATO's vigor.

Russia's military becomes a joke.

Russia's economy is in the toilet.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6779 on: March 10, 2022, 10:13:09 PM »

Yes.

I am with you on this one.

Basically I am still sticking with:

A realistic solution might be:

Russian Crimea

Autonomous Donbas as part of Ukraine

Constitutional neutrality (Austria Style) with Russian guarantees in return

Ukraine can pursue EU

Only thing that might be different is Donbas, I can imagine the whole (de jure) region getting autonomy, but I can also imagine Ukraine renouncing the pre February 22 occupied areas, whilst maintaining federal control of the rest.

This scratches Putins itch for some kind of a "win", whilst also keeping Ukraine a viable & more stable nation with even more potential for the future, especially considering the level of Aid that the EU/US will pour in afterwards.

Yes.

The problem is that Putin sees Ukrainian membership of NATO and the EU as one in the same. That's why Euromaidan happened in the first place, Putin pressured Yanukovych into not singing Ukraine's EU Association Agreement. The whole business about NATO expansion is just manufactured justification for Russia's aggressive actions. If NATO wasn't the issue, there would be something else l used as justification. Moldova has neutrality written into the Constitution. But Russia still constantly meddles with and threatens the country for sole purpose of preventing it from integrating with Europe, and pursuing EU membership.

Ukraine giving up EU is like Russia giving up Crimea. Both are extremely unlikely to happen.

Russia cannot afford to keep this going indefinitely, but neither can Ukraine. Russia is losing men, Ukraine is losing territory & billions of infrastructure, so I assume that eventually both sides will cave in some regards.

You just read my mind.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6780 on: March 10, 2022, 10:36:19 PM »

Despite Ukrainian bravery and tactical victories, the Russian bear is still making slow but steady progress in taking Ukrainian territory.

With each city the Ukrainians lose that means that they lose manpower, resources and manufacturing capacity to keep fighting.
kwabbit

« Reply #6781 on: March 10, 2022, 10:39:57 PM »

Russia has now likely lost more troops than the US did in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Would be huge, though I'm still skeptical. Ukrainian figures are most likely an exaggeration to boost their fighting moral. Didn't the US estimate Russian losses at around 4k 2-3 days ago? Seems more plausible to me.

Anyway, it speaks volumes how Putin is ready to send his soldiers to death for his delusional Greater Russia fantasies.

6k dead is a lot in a modern war, but the Soviets did lose 8.7 Million in WWII. The sacrifice endured in World War II, which for Russians and Slavs was truly a war for survival as a people, is extremely important to Russian identity. Correspondingly, the sacrifice of lives to preserve Russia is a major national ethos. Anyone in Russia who views the war as important to Russia's security and future isn't blinking an eye.

The average Russian clearly don't see the invasion of Ukraine as essential to the survival of Russia.

That's why Putin is trying to hide it from the Russian public as much as possible.

Putin has fooled a majority of Russia. He still has the support of a supermajority of Russians, and while there are some reasons to doubt polling in an autocratic state, there are more reasons to believe the polls than doubt them.

While the war is a farce to anyone who has access to complete information, Russians don't have that access. Given how popular Putin continues to be, it should follow that the war has majority support and that many Russians have fallen for the propaganda that holds the war as essential to Russia's security. All of the protests indicate that there is anti-Putin sentiment, but using protests to infer the general mood of the population is faulty.
Splash
United States

« Reply #6782 on: March 10, 2022, 10:49:57 PM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6783 on: March 10, 2022, 10:56:57 PM »

It's pretty obvious now that even if Putin succeed in overthrowing the Ukrainian government, Ukraine is going to turn into the new Afghanistan.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6784 on: March 10, 2022, 10:57:37 PM »

Per CNN (12 minutes ago) confirmation of the death of Russian Maj. Gen. Andrei Sukhovetsky from Russian official sources.

Russian major general killed in Ukraine at end of February

Russian Maj. Gen. Andrei Sukhovetsky was killed while fighting in Ukraine, according to a statement from the Novorossiysk city government in Russia on March 3.

In the statement, the government said Sukhovetsky — the deputy commander of the 41st Combined Arms Army of the Russian Ground Forces — died on Feb. 28 "while performing a combat mission during a special operation in Ukraine."

Sukhovetsky had previously served in the Russian military during operations in the North Caucasus region and Syria, the statement said.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-10-22/h_0be25f581fe7117fac2249f25e2c616e
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6785 on: March 10, 2022, 10:59:01 PM »

Russia has now likely lost more troops than the US did in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Would be huge, though I'm still skeptical. Ukrainian figures are most likely an exaggeration to boost their fighting moral. Didn't the US estimate Russian losses at around 4k 2-3 days ago? Seems more plausible to me.

Anyway, it speaks volumes how Putin is ready to send his soldiers to death for his delusional Greater Russia fantasies.

6k dead is a lot in a modern war, but the Soviets did lose 8.7 Million in WWII. The sacrifice endured in World War II, which for Russians and Slavs was truly a war for survival as a people, is extremely important to Russian identity. Correspondingly, the sacrifice of lives to preserve Russia is a major national ethos. Anyone in Russia who views the war as important to Russia's security and future isn't blinking an eye.

The average Russian clearly don't see the invasion of Ukraine as essential to the survival of Russia.

That's why Putin is trying to hide it from the Russian public as much as possible.

Putin has fooled a majority of Russia. He still has the support of a supermajority of Russians, and while there are some reasons to doubt polling in an autocratic state, there are more reasons to believe the polls than doubt them.

While the war is a farce to anyone who has access to complete information, Russians don't have that access. Given how popular Putin continues to be, it should follow that the war has majority support and that many Russians have fallen for the propaganda that holds the war as essential to Russia's security. All of the protests indicate that there is anti-Putin sentiment, but using protests to infer the general mood of the population is faulty.

Russians care, first and foremost, about their bottom lines.

They are about to see a huge drop in their standard of living.

We'll see how popular Putin is then.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6786 on: March 10, 2022, 11:40:33 PM »

It would be very interesting if the Ukraine crisis pushes Venezuela and Iran closer to the US. They wont be US allies for obvious reasons. But both nations abstained in the UN vote and are currently talking to the US about increasing gas production. Venezuela directly while Iran is under the table.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #6787 on: March 11, 2022, 12:02:07 AM »

It's pretty obvious now that even if Putin succeed in overthrowing the Ukrainian government, Ukraine is going to turn into the new Afghanistan.

My thoughts too. If Russia is having this much trouble trying to execute their "2 day" invasion, how the hell are they gonna hold onto the occupied territories?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6788 on: March 11, 2022, 12:28:05 AM »

It would be very interesting if the Ukraine crisis pushes Venezuela and Iran closer to the US. They wont be US allies for obvious reasons. But both nations abstained in the UN vote and are currently talking to the US about increasing gas production. Venezuela directly while Iran is under the table.

The Biden administration ripped up the Iran deal, so they left a lot of bad blood there. Venezuela might be more willing to have a deal.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6789 on: March 11, 2022, 12:44:17 AM »

Meanwhile, Twitter is going to the "Dark Web" as a means of allowing Russians to access content that which otherwise might be censored or endanger posters speaking their minds about the War in Ukraine:

Twitter launches privacy-protected site on dark web to bypass Russia’s block

The Tor-friendly site follows moves by Facebook and BBC who also had their platforms restricted on state-owned media

Twitter has launched a privacy-protected version of its site to bypass surveillance and censorship after Russia restricted access to its service in the country.

Russia has blocked access to Facebook and has limited Twitter in an attempt to try to restrict the flow of information about its war in Ukraine. Both companies have said they are working on restoring access to people inside Russia even as they restrict the country’s state media from their services.

A Twitter logo seen displayed on a smartphone with a facebook logo in the background.
Russia blocks access to Facebook and Twitter
Read more
Known as an “onion” service, users can access this version of Twitter if they download the Tor browser, which allows people to access sites on what is also referred to as the “dark web”. Instead of .com, onion sites have a .onion suffix.

Software engineer and internet security expert Alec Muffett, who has worked with other companies to set up onion sites, announced Twitter’s new service on his own Twitter account.

“This is possibly the most important and long-awaited tweet that I’ve ever composed,” he wrote on Tuesday.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/mar/09/twitter-tor-version-russia-block

Here's an article which links to the Tor version of Twitter courtesy of techcrunch (For anybody interested in sharing to comrades behind the curtain)

The launch of Twitter’s Tor service comes just days after reports suggested that the social network’s service had been blocked by Russia’s communications regulator, Roskomnadzor, as the country continues to clamp down on the free flow of information. Following these reports, Twitter confirmed to TechCrunch that users in the country are having “increasing difficulty” accessing its service, adding that it is investigating and working to restore full access.

Twitter would not say if the timely launch of the Tor service was directly related to the apparent block in Russia, but a Twitter spokesperson said its efforts to make the service more accessible to its users was an “ongoing priority” for the company and also pointed us toward Twitter’s list of supported browsers, which now includes Tor.

The address for the Tor version of Twitter is: twitter3e4tixl4xyajtrzo62zg5vztmjuricljdp2c5kshju4avyoid.onion

https://techcrunch.com/2022/03/09/twitter-tor-bypass-blocks/
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6790 on: March 11, 2022, 01:19:47 AM »

The Biden administration ripped up the Iran deal, so they left a lot of bad blood there. Venezuela might be more willing to have a deal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_withdrawal_from_the_Joint_Comprehensive_Plan_of_Action

The United States announced its withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), also known as the "Iran nuclear deal" or the "Iran deal", on May 8, 2018.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6791 on: March 11, 2022, 01:42:55 AM »

Protests continue in Russian Occupied Ukrainian Cities earlier today... Footage from Melitopol and Berdiansk (Haven't yet tracked down other non-violent protests today elsewhere)

I keep hoping that young Ukranian women start doing what I read one time that young French and Danish women did during WWII when their countries were Nazi occupied. Go find a Russian solider, seduce him, and take him to the woods under pretense of sex. There's a Ukranian waiting with a pistol in the woods and the Russian soldier never comes out. Honey pot the bastards.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6792 on: March 11, 2022, 02:00:35 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_withdrawal_from_the_Joint_Comprehensive_Plan_of_Action

The United States announced its withdrawal from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), also known as the "Iran nuclear deal" or the "Iran deal", on May 8, 2018.

And Biden didn't seem too interested in reviving it.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6793 on: March 11, 2022, 02:40:29 AM »

I keep hoping that young Ukranian women start doing what I read one time that young French and Danish women did during WWII when their countries were Nazi occupied. Go find a Russian solider, seduce him, and take him to the woods under pretense of sex. There's a Ukranian waiting with a pistol in the woods and the Russian soldier never comes out. Honey pot the bastards.

WAIT! You are saying that young French & Danish women under NAZI occupation were finding Russian soldiers to kill under the pretense of sex Huh

DUDE--- My Grandfather served on the Western Front in WW II, and spent a couple Years in West Berlin after the War before he got the "Demob" scene and told me many stories before he died, but this is definitely a first!!!!

Tell me more Young Yoda from Ohio....

Yoda
United States

« Reply #6794 on: March 11, 2022, 02:50:03 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2022, 02:53:04 AM by Yoda »

WAIT! You are saying that young French & Danish women under NAZI occupation were finding Russian soldiers to kill under the pretense of sex Huh

DUDE--- My Grandfather served on the Western Front in WW II, and spent a couple Years in West Berlin after the War before he got the "Demob" scene and told me many stories before he died, but this is definitely a first!!!!

Tell me more Young Yoda from Ohio....

No, you simply misunderstood my post. I may have switched the subject of my sentences around too freely thus making it confusing.

I'm saying that young women from Nazi occupied countries during WWII (like Danish and French girls for example according to the article I read) would essentially seduce german soldiers to the woods or another secluded area where an assassin would be lying in wait to kill the soldier thinking he's about to get laid. I'm saying I hope that Ukranian women employ the same underground resistance tactics (among others) to take out russian troops.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6795 on: March 11, 2022, 03:16:43 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/investigations/biden-betting-republican-senators-lack-votes-derail-revival-iran-nucle-rcna18174

Now that you've been caught in two outrageously brazen and obvious lies in a row, will you apologize?  Or just keep moving the goalposts with a third lie?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6796 on: March 11, 2022, 03:23:54 AM »

Meanwhile... Russia attacks cities in Western Ukraine previously not targeted per NYT an hour back:

Three cities in central and western Ukraine are bombed, videos and photographs show.

Videos and photographs verified by The Times show apparent bombings on Friday morning of three Ukrainian cities that until now had not sustained major attacks. Footage released by Ukraine’s State Emergency Service shows several burning and destroyed buildings at a shoe factory near a metro station in Dnipro, in central Ukraine. Other video shows residents fleeing the aftermath. The State Emergency Service said that one person had died from what it said were Russian airstrikes on the city.

A photograph verified by The Times shows smoke rising from a large fire in the direction of the military airfield in Lutsk, a western Ukrainian city that is less than a two-hour drive from the border with Poland. Another video shows at least three explosions in another far western city, Ivano-Frankivsk, apparently near the city’s international airport. A spokesman for the Russian Ministry of Defense confirmed that they had struck “military airfields” in Lutsk and Ivano-Frankivsk.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/10/world/ukraine-russia-war/three-cities-in-central-and-western-ukraine-are-bombed-videos-and-photographs-show

CNN has some additional info:

Lutsk mayor says at least 1 person killed in explosions, alert system "did not work at all"

At least one person was killed by explosions in the Ukrainian city of Lutsk on Friday, the city's mayor Ihor Polishchuk said on his official Facebook page.

"Today at approximately 5:45 there were three explosions. Three missiles hit our military airfield. There is one dead. Information about the injured is being clarified. The SES (State Emergency Service) is working on the spot," he said.
The city's alert system "did not work at all," and the "military administration and the military will work on this issue," he added.

In the western city of Ivano-Frankivsk, an airfield was also hit and the warning system didn't work, Polishchuk said.

"The Armed Forces of Ukraine did not turn it on. Why didn't they turn it on? Because the missiles were flying at ultra-low speeds or for some other reason, the military will work on it."

He added: "Please do not stand by the window during the explosions, do not take photos and videos and then do not publish them on social networks, because the enemy is tracking all these messages. This is additional information for the enemy. If there are explosions, please proceed to the shelter

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-11-22/h_e368f0a17e32da76f6a6e07f9cff0846

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6797 on: March 11, 2022, 04:05:54 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/investigations/biden-betting-republican-senators-lack-votes-derail-revival-iran-nucle-rcna18174

Now that you've been caught in two outrageously brazen and obvious lies in a row, will you apologize?  Or just keep moving the goalposts with a third lie?

I'm obviously talking about before Ukraine got invaded. Biden was not a reasonable negotiator with Iran last year.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6798 on: March 11, 2022, 05:30:08 AM »

Vladimir Putin wants foreign fighter volunteers to come to the front and fight for Russia.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-11/putin-holds-meeting-with-russian-security-council-west-ukraine/100904764

Must be running out of troops for certain jobs.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6799 on: March 11, 2022, 06:11:48 AM »

I'm obviously talking about before Ukraine got invaded. Biden was not a reasonable negotiator with Iran last year.

The fact still remains that it was Trump who "tore up" the Iran deal, not Biden as you claimed.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 ... 1170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies