Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:21:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 ... 1165
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 888556 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6675 on: March 10, 2022, 07:18:38 AM »

Bombing hospitals is the sort of thing Russia does in wars, and has for a very long time.

It has naff all to do with "red lines".
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6676 on: March 10, 2022, 07:24:11 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 08:07:43 AM by Torie »

NR is very anti Putin and pro Ukraine but in an editorial writes:

Say No to  No Fly Zone

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/03/say-no-to-a-no-fly-zone/#slide-1

The rag's coverage of the war I have found to be excellent FWIW.

And CNN has a video of a young Russian man who lives in Ukraine and has been bombed, but his Dad in Russia does not believe him - the Russian propaganda is that effective. So the young man has started a movement to have sons and daughters in Ukraine call their parents back home to get the word out.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2022/03/09/russia-propaganda-ukraine-war-vladimir-putin-newday-vpx.cnn
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6677 on: March 10, 2022, 07:57:21 AM »

I understand opposition to a no-fly zone. I understand that we don't want to actively initiate war with Russia. I don't necessarily agree with the logic, but I understand it.

What I don't understand is why we aren't doing LITERALLY EVERYTHING short of that to support Ukraine. That's the difference between prudence and cowardice.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6678 on: March 10, 2022, 08:08:52 AM »

I understand opposition to a no-fly zone. I understand that we don't want to actively initiate war with Russia. I don't necessarily agree with the logic, but I understand it.

What I don't understand is why we aren't doing LITERALLY EVERYTHING short of that to support Ukraine. That's the difference between prudence and cowardice.

Make a list of what the US should be doing but isn't.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6679 on: March 10, 2022, 08:15:30 AM »

Talks in Turkey have collapsed, as per The Guardian.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6680 on: March 10, 2022, 08:20:37 AM »

Make a list of what the US should be doing but isn't.

Help send the f**king fighter jets??? We've been talking about it for the past 24 hours.

Also by "we" I'm also talking about European countries, to be clear.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #6681 on: March 10, 2022, 08:37:02 AM »

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6682 on: March 10, 2022, 08:41:01 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 08:54:27 AM by Middle-aged Europe »

Talks in Turkey have collapsed, as per The Guardian.

Well, they've agreed to meet again, although apart from that they couldn't agree on anything else today.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6683 on: March 10, 2022, 08:41:10 AM »

Bullet points from a guy in the know supposedly to brighten up your day, not:

1. Putin has always been secretive and conspiratorial but “What I have heard about the president’s behavior over the past two years is alarming. His seclusion and inaccessibility, his deep belief that Russian domination over Ukraine must be restored and his decision to surround himself with ideologues and sycophants have all helped to bring Europe to its most dangerous moment since World War II.” It has not helped that Putin is even more paranoid about Covid than I am.

2.  Thus his rat pack is basically down to one Mr. Kovalchuk, who ala Muon2 holds a doctorate in physics, but unlike Muon2 is also “an ideologue, subscribing to a worldview that combines Orthodox Christian mysticism, anti-American conspiracy theories and hedonism.” The hedonism and mysticism bit sounds interesting. Is that "a thing" in the Orthodox Church?

3. “The economy, social issues, the coronavirus pandemic, these all annoy Putin. Instead, he and Mr. Kovalchuk obsess over the past.” Yeah, they can be annoying I have to agree, but somebody has to do it. And it sounds about right that Putin does not care much about something as mundane as the standard of living of his people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/opinion/putin-russia-ukraine.html

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6684 on: March 10, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »

Russia has now likely lost more troops than the US did in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6685 on: March 10, 2022, 08:56:26 AM »

Bullet points from a guy in the know supposedly to brighten up your day, not:

1. Putin has always been secretive and conspiratorial but “What I have heard about the president’s behavior over the past two years is alarming. His seclusion and inaccessibility, his deep belief that Russian domination over Ukraine must be restored and his decision to surround himself with ideologues and sycophants have all helped to bring Europe to its most dangerous moment since World War II.” It has not helped that Putin is even more paranoid about Covid than I am.

2.  Thus his rat pack is basically down to one Mr. Kovalchuk, who ala Muon2 holds a doctorate in physics, but unlike Muon2 is also “an ideologue, subscribing to a worldview that combines Orthodox Christian mysticism, anti-American conspiracy theories and hedonism.” The hedonism and mysticism bit sounds interesting. Is that "a thing" in the Orthodox Church?

3. “The economy, social issues, the coronavirus pandemic, these all annoy Putin. Instead, he and Mr. Kovalchuk obsess over the past.” Yeah, they can be annoying I have to agree, but somebody has to do it. And it sounds about right that Putin does not care much about something as mundane as the standard of living of his people.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/opinion/putin-russia-ukraine.html

If this is the best that Russia can do, why are they even allowed to govern themselves?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6686 on: March 10, 2022, 09:08:45 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 09:31:37 AM by Torie »

And also in the NYT is this outstanding article by the guy who I think coined the word "woke," Ross Douthat. Gosh I wish I had his talent and insight.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/opinion/ukraine-russia-invasion-west.html

1. The real politick guy John Mearsheimer, who thinks only the great powers matter, and the rest are but pawns, and the West went wrong when it NATO'ed up Russia's borders rather than team up with Russia to keep China contained, with one exception, had it all wrong. Putin does not care about NATO, he wants Ukraine part of Russia NATO or no NATO, and Ukraine has shown that "pawns" can matter more then JM thinks. I mean they have proven to be a real pain in the butt to Putin.  The idea that great power leaders can be counted on to be rational actors is also wrong. The planet is not a game of Risk.

2. It is wrong however to toss real politick entirely into the dust bin however. China, India and the Gulf states are all breaking bad, so that is a concern.

I am not doing the article justice, but the above are a couple of take aways.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6687 on: March 10, 2022, 09:13:12 AM »

German Bishops' Conference of the Roman Catholic Church supports arms shipments to Ukraine arguing that they're meant for self-defense.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6688 on: March 10, 2022, 09:15:12 AM »

And also in the NYT is this outstanding article by the guy who I think coined the word "woke," Ross Douthat. Gosh I wish I had his talent and insight.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/opinion/ukraine-russia-invasion-west.html

1. The real politick guy John Mearsheimer, who thinks only the great powers matter, and the rest are but pawns, and the West went wrong when it NATO'ed up Russia's borders rather than team up with Russia to keep China contained, with one exception, had it all wrong. Putin does not care about NATO, he wants Ukraine part of Russia NATO or no NATO, and Ukraine has shown that "pawns" can matter more then JM thinks. I mean they have proven to be a real pain in the butt to Putin.  The idea that great power leaders can be counted on to be rational actors is also wrong. The planet is not a game or Risk.

2. It is wrong however to toss real politick entirely into the dust bin however. China, India and the Gulf states are all breaking bad, so that is a concern.

I am not doing the article justice, but the above are a couple of take aways.

Realism is for people who are boring, lazy, or both.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6689 on: March 10, 2022, 09:22:36 AM »

rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #6690 on: March 10, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »

German Bishops' Conference of the Roman Catholic Church supports arms shipments to Ukraine arguing that they're meant for self-defense.

Weak.

Francis should declare a crusade like the good old days.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6691 on: March 10, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2022, 09:44:04 AM by Torie »

The above squib BRTD put up ties into the notion that Russians are just abandoning their equipment, after they fail to find a bunch of Nazis running around or something.

Free airline tickets out to a country of your choice in exchange for a tank.

Zelensky looks like a got a few hours of sleep and a shave. His being but 43 is a big bonus here. The even bigger bonus is his fluency in Russian of course. One speech for Ukraine, another for Russia. No wonder Putin wants him dead so bad.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6692 on: March 10, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »

Weak.

Francis should declare a crusade like the good old days.

We can party like its 1204!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6693 on: March 10, 2022, 09:53:21 AM »

Russia has now likely lost more troops than the US did in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

Would be huge, though I'm still skeptical. Ukrainian figures are most likely an exaggeration to boost their fighting moral. Didn't the US estimate Russian losses at around 4k 2-3 days ago? Seems more plausible to me.

Anyway, it speaks volumes how Putin is ready to send his soldiers to death for his delusional Greater Russia fantasies.
Logical

« Reply #6694 on: March 10, 2022, 09:58:59 AM »

War crime apologia is always vile but seeing an official embassy account engage in it is on another level.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6695 on: March 10, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »

Would be huge, though I'm still skeptical. Ukrainian figures are most likely an exaggeration to boost their fighting moral. Didn't the US estimate Russian losses at around 4k 2-3 days ago? Seems more plausible to me.

Anyway, it speaks volumes how Putin is ready to send his soldiers to death for his delusional Greater Russia fantasies.

Well it said it was from a US official, so give yourself permission to be a tad optimistic here.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #6696 on: March 10, 2022, 10:06:12 AM »

The US estimates are conservative, they've already said that.

The Ukrainians obviously aren't going to be lowballing their estimates, but don't be surprised if the real figure is somewhere between the two.

I mean, the Russians wouldn't be as bogged down as they are with just a couple of thousand KIA.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6697 on: March 10, 2022, 10:07:06 AM »

the guy who I think coined the word "woke," Ross Douthat.

This has to be some kind of joke, but I just don't get it Sad
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6698 on: March 10, 2022, 10:16:13 AM »

the guy who I think coined the word "woke," Ross Douthat.

This has to be some kind of joke, but I just don't get it Sad

It was not meant as a joke.

https://www.heritage.org/progressivism/heritage-explains/woke-corporate-capitalism
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6699 on: March 10, 2022, 10:25:54 AM »

So I was just skimming through the Russia invades Georgia thread we had and it reminded me that that invasion took place around the same time as an Olympics in Beijing.  Weird heh?
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 272 273 ... 1165  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies