Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:17:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida  (Read 30367 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: January 06, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »

Go Connie Mack IV.

Looks like we will be on opposite sides of a nasty primary fight. I think Rubio would be smarter to wait till 2012. Going up against Mack is almost like challenging a Bush, in Florida terms anyway. Instead this could be like CO 2004 with a nasty primary fight producing a weakened candidate in a swing state. Granted the 2004 FL Sen primary was nasty Martinez had help from above in the general. Whoever the nominee is won't have that with him. First we will have to see if Mack runs.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »

Go Connie Mack IV.

Looks like we will be on opposite sides of a nasty primary fight. I think Rubio would be smarter to wait till 2012. Going up against Mack is almost like challenging a Bush, in Florida terms anyway. Instead this could be like CO 2004 with a nasty primary fight producing a weakened candidate in a swing state. Granted the 2004 FL Sen primary was nasty Martinez had help from above in the general. Whoever the nominee is won't have that with him. First we will have to see if Mack runs.

No, let's have Mack wait. Wink At least he has a House seat that he can spend some time in. Rubio is out of office.

My prefered scenario was for Mack to get this open seat and Jeb Bush our strongest candidate to run against Bill Nelson in 2012. But what the hell the I'm a Republican, I belonged to no organised political party. I said the same thing about Nebraska, if Johanns wanted a Senate seat why didn't he challenge Ben Nelson in 2006, we were still guarranteed the seat in 2008 cause popular state Atty Gen Jon Bruning would have ran, so that way Johanns would still be a Senator(with 2 years more senority) and we'd be at 42 instead of 41. But hay thats what a real party would do. I guess the GOP isn't cut out for political strategising.

Anyway back to the point. I will await Mack's decision. If he runs I'm all for it. In your opinion ,Phil, do you think that Rubio would try to challenge a Mack in a primary. As I said thats like challenging a Bush in Florida.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2009, 05:16:42 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

Go Connie Mack IV.

No, let's have Mack wait. Wink At least he has a House seat that he can spend some time in. Rubio is out of office.

My prefered scenario was for Mack to get this open seat and Jeb Bush our strongest candidate to run against Bill Nelson in 2012. But what the hell the I'm a Republican, I belonged to no organised political party. I said the same thing about Nebraska, if Johanns wanted a Senate seat why didn't he challenge Ben Nelson in 2006, we were still guarranteed the seat in 2008 cause popular state Atty Gen Jon Bruning would have ran, so that way Johanns would still be a Senator(with 2 years more senority) and we'd be at 42 instead of 41. But hay thats what a real party would do. I guess the GOP isn't cut out for political strategising.

Anyway back to the point. I will await Mack's decision. If he runs I'm all for it. In your opinion ,Phil, do you think that Rubio would try to challenge a Mack in a primary. As I said thats like challenging a Bush in Florida.

One of the perks of being the strongest candidate for your party in the state is, paradoxically, the right to run when it's easiest to do so. See also Mark Warner, and possibly Ben Chandler.

That doesn't mean I have to like it.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »

Crist's support is a mile wide and an inch deep as the expression goes, ironically, much like Specter's, the Republican version who Crist is oft compared to.  I have a hard time seeing Rubio winning without Jeb's explicit endorsement, but that may come at a more opportune time politically.

the DSCC is surprisingly intelligent and launching their best attacks on Crist now.

I'm one of the bigger defenders of Rubio pulling this off.  Crist is aware of this as well, it must speak badly of Florida's financial situation that he'd want to bail so much.  I don't know of Florida's local political scene, but it's possible McCollum would be a better governor simply because he wouldn't butt heads with the legislature as  much as Sink or even Crist.

And I'm still personally stunned why there would be such competition to head a state that's the budgetary version of The Titanic, just like California.  If I were Attorney General I would sit tight and let the next guy make awful decisions for the next four years rather than go down in history as one of Florida's worst governors or what have you.  I suppose all of these politicians think very highly of themselves and their capabilities though.

I think the reason they are competing so hard to be Captain of the SS Titantic is because of redistricting. GOP wants to preserve there advantage and the Dems and to put a monkey wrench in it. Same thing in Arizona, the economy will hurt Brewer considerably despite only being there since Jan, but the RNC and especially the RGA will still pull out all the stops.

but good luck to the FL GOP intending to run only white, old, non-Jewish guys up and down the ticket [except for agricultural com., you got a white, youngish guy there].  Maybe it'll work this cycle, but some time you gotta change strategies in Florida

Hey the usually the complaint is about old, white, rural conservatives. Well the senate race is a Conservative Hispanic vs and old, white moderate. Is Allen West going to run against Klein again, granted its one district but its one of them most important in FL and it helps reduce that all white/ old image in that area. 

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »

LOL

I didn't even watch that video but I know enough about Brown's...eh...articulate nature. She was one of my favorite objectors during the counting of the electoral votes in the joint session of Congress after the 2000 election.

She said that the voters "was disenfranchised" in the "last 'lection."

Ahh, The the famous "Shut up and sit down" segment from Fahrenheit 911
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 11:01:29 PM »

Rasmussen:

Charlie Crist (R) -- 50%
Corrine Brown (D) -- 29%

Charlie Crist (R)  -- 46%
Kendrick Meek (D) -- 28%

<<Safe>>

Corrine Brown?  LOL.  She's a nut case.

And Crist is an ass kissing sellout.

I wish Rubio was a better candidate on certain issues so I could endorse him, I might end up endorsing him anyway.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:14:09 PM »

Second Quarter fundraising totals:

Charlie Crist (R): $3M raised
Kendrick Meek (D): $1.2M raised
Marco Rubio (R): $340K raised
Corrine Brown (D): <$5K raised

Where's that CFG money, Marco?

In Pennsylvania most likely.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »

To get two Republicans from Florida rather than one. If he believed in cause rather than just being a selfish dick, it would be a good move.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Crist has no idea what can happen between now and 2012 and would not be a safe bet against Nelson. Serving as governor of Florida in hard times is only going to make things worse for him. I don't think it makes you a selfish dick to pass up a sure thing this year, handing it over to a sworn enemy, in order to take a tough shot against a strong incumbent. Nelson isn't invulnerable, but it would be the height of unselfishness for Crist to wait until 2012, and what politician behaves this way?

Besides, the option to run in 2012 against Nelson was always available to Crist. Why would Martinez's resignation change anything?

Crist is a selfish dick for more reasons than just that.
Nelson isn't a strong incumbent. His opponent was Katherine Harris in 2006.
Crist was begged by the NRSC to run, that's why. With an appointment, Marco Rubio would definitely be able to hold the seat against a weak opponent like Kendrick Meek, and the NRSC would have no worries. Besides, I think  it's good to see some Latino faces in the GOP.

Not a bad idea. I sad the same thing in 2007 regarding Nebraska and the "other" Nelson. I said that basically Johanns should have run in 2006 or 2012 and leave the open seat in 2008 for Atty Gen Jon Bruning, considered a rising star by Nebraska conservatives, or least thats what I heard at the time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies