Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:40:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Author Topic: Florida  (Read 30501 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:19:16 AM »
« edited: January 08, 2009, 11:40:40 AM by Lunar »

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article959079.ece

Republican excitement over the prospect of Jeb Bush running for U.S. Senate has given way to increasing speculation that the former governor will stay out of the race.

Bush declined to comment for this article but was expected to make an announcement perhaps as early as this week.

Even with his father on national TV Sunday touting Bush as a terrific potential future senator or president, friends say family considerations could outweigh the pull of public service.
Bush may conclude after completing his methodical review process that there are other ways he can help rebuild the GOP besides a Senate career that would take a toll on his consulting business and be difficult for his family.

"I know it's a big struggle for him,'' said former state Republican chairman Al Cardenas, who believes Bush is still undecided. "As his friend I think maybe he's better off where he is. As a Republican who loves his party so much, I know we need him."
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »

the republican brand doesnt need another bush.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2009, 08:26:15 PM by Ogre Mage »

I certainly hope that Jeb doesn't run because it will increase the chance of a Democratic pickup.  If I were Mitch McConnell and John Cornyn, however, I would be trying sweet talk Jeb into doing it.  They may have to dangle something significant to convince him.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:37:57 PM »

THERE WILL BE NO SENATOR BUSH FROM FLORIDA

DEVELOPING
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »

Woot.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:55 PM »

Jeb Bush has decided not to run for the Senate in Florida, according to former state House Speaker Marco Rubio.

"He said it just wasn't the right timing," Rubio said, recounting a phone call he received this afternoon from the former Florida governor and presidential brother. 

Bush, who left office in 2007, cited his desire to explore other professional opportunities outside of politics, Rubo said. 

Rubio, a close Bush ally who was waiting on the former governor's decision, said he would now "seriously explore the opportunity."

"I'll be meeting with family and supporters in the weeks ahead and make a decision shortly there after."

Rubio will visit with Republican campaign officials in Washington next week ahead of a likely bid. 

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0109/Jeb_wont_run_for_Senate.html?showall
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »

I bet the internals showed him losing. But now who?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »

If this is true, Florida 2010 is now unquestionably a tossup race.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »

If this is true, Florida 2010 is now unquestionably a tossup race.

It is true.

I think Rep. Connie Mack, who had a famous Senator father and whom will undoubtedly run now, should be a slight favorite.

Especially because the Dem's best candidate, Sink, initially said he wasn't going to run (although the seat wasn't open but it had an even weaker incumbent than an open-seat against Mack)
Rococo4

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

damn
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:04:57 PM »

Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

Especially because the Dem's best candidate, Sink, initially said he wasn't going to run (although the seat wasn't open but it had an even weaker incumbent than an open-seat against Mack)

Alex Sink is the wife of the 2002 Dem gubernatorial candidate.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:08:45 PM »

do the Dems have anyone outside of Jewish women?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »

The Senate is not an attractive to be for a Republican candidate right now. The country is in a financial mess and the Republicans are going to be a deep minority for a few more cycles.

I'm not surprised Jeb Bush decided to stay in Florida.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 04:37:01 PM »

I hope Jeb's announcement puts an end to all speculation that he'll seek the Republican Nomination in 2012, which he won't! Anyway, the Bush brand if you'd like to call it, won't be fully rehabilitated for at least fourty years, even if Jeb is more so popular than his brother George.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »

Why would they want anyone else?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »

Why would they want anyone else?

yeah 'cause Betty Castor was so chill

(she actually well might have won if that race were run in 2006 or 2008, but alas, it wasn't)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

Sad

Oh well. Rubio 2010!
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

GO CONNIE MACK!
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »

Ron Klein? He's a Jewish... man.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »

Ron Klein? He's a Jewish... man.

Klein probably wont run.  He would not be a good fit statewide and could open up a troublesome district for Democrats. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »

Go Connie Mack IV.

Looks like we will be on opposite sides of a nasty primary fight. I think Rubio would be smarter to wait till 2012. Going up against Mack is almost like challenging a Bush, in Florida terms anyway. Instead this could be like CO 2004 with a nasty primary fight producing a weakened candidate in a swing state. Granted the 2004 FL Sen primary was nasty Martinez had help from above in the general. Whoever the nominee is won't have that with him. First we will have to see if Mack runs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 08:20:26 PM »

Go Connie Mack IV.

Looks like we will be on opposite sides of a nasty primary fight. I think Rubio would be smarter to wait till 2012. Going up against Mack is almost like challenging a Bush, in Florida terms anyway. Instead this could be like CO 2004 with a nasty primary fight producing a weakened candidate in a swing state. Granted the 2004 FL Sen primary was nasty Martinez had help from above in the general. Whoever the nominee is won't have that with him. First we will have to see if Mack runs.

No, let's have Mack wait. Wink At least he has a House seat that he can spend some time in. Rubio is out of office.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »

Go Connie Mack IV.

No, let's have Mack wait. Wink At least he has a House seat that he can spend some time in. Rubio is out of office.

My prefered scenario was for Mack to get this open seat and Jeb Bush our strongest candidate to run against Bill Nelson in 2012. But what the hell the I'm a Republican, I belonged to no organised political party. I said the same thing about Nebraska, if Johanns wanted a Senate seat why didn't he challenge Ben Nelson in 2006, we were still guarranteed the seat in 2008 cause popular state Atty Gen Jon Bruning would have ran, so that way Johanns would still be a Senator(with 2 years more senority) and we'd be at 42 instead of 41. But hay thats what a real party would do. I guess the GOP isn't cut out for political strategising.

Anyway back to the point. I will await Mack's decision. If he runs I'm all for it. In your opinion ,Phil, do you think that Rubio would try to challenge a Mack in a primary. As I said thats like challenging a Bush in Florida.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »

In your opinion ,Phil, do you think that Rubio would try to challenge a Mack in a primary. As I said thats like challenging a Bush in Florida.

Not sure how Rubio thinks. Maybe he's crazy enough to do it and score a major upset.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies