Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:24:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Florida  (Read 30479 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »

Jeb's son endorses Rubio
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »

Clear signal from Dad/stalking horse for his endorsement? Or son merely going his own independent way? The history of political discipline within the Bush clan suggests the former. No?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2009, 11:28:46 AM »

Typically I assume this means Jeb Jr.'s dad Jeb is either thinking about endorsing Rubio in the coming months [maybe when it'll be more influential?] or wants to stay out of the race but wants people to know where he stands unofficially.

For example, Republican Senator Chuck Hagel refused to say who he was going to for for in 2008, but his wife endorsed Barack Obama.   That's a pretty clear signal.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2009, 11:37:42 AM »

Honestly, looking at the polls, Rubio's position is stronger than it seems.  Still a long way out, however, and I need to actually see Rubio on TV in something major before I make any calls.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2009, 11:55:07 AM by Lunar »

Crist's support is a mile wide and an inch deep as the expression goes, ironically, much like Specter's, the Republican version who Crist is oft compared to.  I have a hard time seeing Rubio winning without Jeb's explicit endorsement, but that may come at a more opportune time politically.

the DSCC is surprisingly intelligent and launching their best attacks on Crist now.

I'm one of the bigger defenders of Rubio pulling this off.  Crist is aware of this as well, it must speak badly of Florida's financial situation that he'd want to bail so much.  I don't know of Florida's local political scene, but it's possible McCollum would be a better governor simply because he wouldn't butt heads with the legislature as  much as Sink or even Crist.

And I'm still personally stunned why there would be such competition to head a state that's the budgetary version of The Titanic, just like California.  If I were Attorney General I would sit tight and let the next guy make awful decisions for the next four years rather than go down in history as one of Florida's worst governors or what have you.  I suppose all of these politicians think very highly of themselves and their capabilities though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2009, 11:57:44 AM »

but good luck to the FL GOP intending to run only white, old, non-Jewish guys up and down the ticket [except for agricultural com., you got a white, youngish guy there].  Maybe it'll work this cycle, but some time you gotta change strategies in Florida
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »

Crist's support is a mile wide and an inch deep as the expression goes, ironically, much like Specter's, the Republican version who Crist is oft compared to.  I have a hard time seeing Rubio winning without Jeb's explicit endorsement, but that may come at a more opportune time politically.

the DSCC is surprisingly intelligent and launching their best attacks on Crist now.

I'm one of the bigger defenders of Rubio pulling this off.  Crist is aware of this as well, it must speak badly of Florida's financial situation that he'd want to bail so much.  I don't know of Florida's local political scene, but it's possible McCollum would be a better governor simply because he wouldn't butt heads with the legislature as  much as Sink or even Crist.

And I'm still personally stunned why there would be such competition to head a state that's the budgetary version of The Titanic, just like California.  If I were Attorney General I would sit tight and let the next guy make awful decisions for the next four years rather than go down in history as one of Florida's worst governors or what have you.  I suppose all of these politicians think very highly of themselves and their capabilities though.

I think the reason they are competing so hard to be Captain of the SS Titantic is because of redistricting. GOP wants to preserve there advantage and the Dems and to put a monkey wrench in it. Same thing in Arizona, the economy will hurt Brewer considerably despite only being there since Jan, but the RNC and especially the RGA will still pull out all the stops.

but good luck to the FL GOP intending to run only white, old, non-Jewish guys up and down the ticket [except for agricultural com., you got a white, youngish guy there].  Maybe it'll work this cycle, but some time you gotta change strategies in Florida

Hey the usually the complaint is about old, white, rural conservatives. Well the senate race is a Conservative Hispanic vs and old, white moderate. Is Allen West going to run against Klein again, granted its one district but its one of them most important in FL and it helps reduce that all white/ old image in that area. 

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »

Florida is still a pretty dominant southern state, which Lunar fails to understand. The panhandle can well outvote S. Florida if properly motivated to do so.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2009, 11:38:34 PM »

I understand, I was just thinking in the long run
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2009, 09:10:42 AM »

Florida is still a pretty dominant southern state, which Lunar fails to understand. The panhandle can well outvote S. Florida if properly motivated to do so.

Yeah, but are they really going to be that motivated?  They weren't motivated in 2008, and I don't see how 2010 can bring that excitement.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »

Man. Reading Huck's e-mail just reminded me how happy I am that he's irrelevant now.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »

Well, there are a few ignored statistics.

For example, Cubans probably only make up about 10% of the GOP primary vote.

Mel Martinez's passionate endorsement of Crist [payback for Crist carrying him over the finish line in years prior] could dilute that 10% depending on how well it's played.

Florida does have a closed primary, and I'm not sure what percentage of hard-line conservatives are actually registered as Democrats up there in North Florida.  Hmm.  It's one of the more complicated states to break down.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »

The panhandle can't even come close to matching South Florida, let alone outvoting it.

Yes they can, even Jeb Bush admitted it. Many many Democrats in N. Florida have voted Republican for years and years.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2009, 07:09:34 AM »

According to SSP, Corrine Brown is considering entering the Senate race. All I have to say is, do it, Corrine! Get that crazy woman out of the House!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2009, 10:13:05 AM »

she won't
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2009, 01:13:06 PM »

Corinne is hilarious. Please do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gIsUCDDfI
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »

Is that what our Congress does?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »

Wow, she can't even talk. How the heck did she get elected to anything?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2009, 01:39:26 PM »

She sounds drunk.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »

The panhandle can't even come close to matching South Florida, let alone outvoting it.

Yes they can, even Jeb Bush admitted it. Many many Democrats in N. Florida have voted Republican for years and years.

I've noticed. There are 31 Democratic majority counties in Florida, McCain carried 26 of them
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »

How about forming a hip-hop duo with Micheal Steele instead of running for the Senate?

I have the same question about Michelle Bachmann.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »

The population just isn't there. Look at a congressional district map. The Panhandle doesn't have many more people than Orange County alone does these days. It has 2.5 districts at most, and that's including Tallahassee and stretching east to a Jacksonville-based district. Sure, there are lots of nominal Democrats who all vote Republican there; so what? They're already factored in to the Republican win column.

There are more Jewish Democratic districts alone in South Florida than there are districts represented by anyone in the Panhandle.

What does "even Jeb Bush admits it" mean?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »

You must have never met any black country folk from Alabama. Smiley If you think that's unintelligible......

I've lived down here long enough that her speech doesn't even sound messed up to me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »

You must have never met any black country folk from Alabama. Smiley If you think that's unintelligible......

I've lived down here long enough that her speech doesn't even sound messed up to me.

Meh. Most white southerners are unintelligible to me, and that's only partially because of the accent. :-P
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »

LOL

I didn't even watch that video but I know enough about Brown's...eh...articulate nature. She was one of my favorite objectors during the counting of the electoral votes in the joint session of Congress after the 2000 election.

She said that the voters "was disenfranchised" in the "last 'lection."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies