The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:47:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2  (Read 220515 times)
JG

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: July 29, 2018, 01:41:08 PM »

If Abrams win in november, she will probably be close to a king/queenmaker for the southern primaries. Not surprised to see everyone and their mother courting her.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1526 on: July 29, 2018, 02:40:43 PM »

If Abrams win in november, she will probably be close to a king/queenmaker for the southern primaries. Not surprised to see everyone and their mother courting her.
I think she'll back Booker. He's been Team Abrams since she launched last June. Everyone else hopped on once her candidacy started garnering national attention.

Off topic, but I hope President and First Lady Obama come down here. Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1527 on: July 29, 2018, 07:47:01 PM »

Here's this week's 2020 Insight column:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/28/politics/2020-insight-netroots-nation/index.html

Of note, here is a list they compiled of 2017/18/19 books by prospective candidates:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1528 on: July 30, 2018, 06:31:16 AM »

All those books have mediocre titles but it seems to be required that they have subpar titles.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1529 on: July 30, 2018, 10:40:55 AM »

All those books have mediocre titles but it seems to be required that they have subpar titles.

Definitely nothing as pithy Dreams From My Father or The Audacity of Hope, although Harris tries.

Some of them are amusingly bad: Landrieu's could be a white supremacist memoir, Castro's sounds like the title of a fan-fiction Hangover sequel.

Sasse's is just one word away from being something great - Them: Why We Hate Each Other--and How to Heal Prevail.

I'm just waiting for a sitting politician to buck the trend and write total fiction. How about writing kafkaesque horror? Scifi? Murder mytseries? Nobody wants to read ghost written memoirs.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1530 on: July 30, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »

Definitely nothing as pithy Dreams From My Father or The Audacity of Hope, although Harris tries.

Some of them are amusingly bad: Landrieu's could be a white supremacist memoir, Castro's sounds like the title of a fan-fiction Hangover sequel.

Sasse's is just one word away from being something great - Them: Why We Hate Each Other--and How to Heal Prevail.

I'm just waiting for a sitting politician to buck the trend and write total fiction. How about writing kafkaesque horror? Scifi? Murder mytseries? Nobody wants to read ghost written memoirs.

Pitch: The opening chapters begin as a traditional self-promotional doorstop, but the narrative gradually takes a disturbing turn. Our narrator slowly realizes that she is not the politician that she believes herself to be, but is instead someone else whose mind is literally imprisoned in the politician's memoir.

Will she follow the clues along her "unlikely journey" to finally "wake up" from her "American dream," or will she gradually succumb to somnambulistic parade of bromides and slip back out of consciousness?

The worst part is that we'd never find out if this was true: journalists don't read them, regular people don't buy them, and washington DC staffers just look for their name in the index.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1531 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »

I predict the Democratic Nominee in 2020 will be a Governor. Too risky for Democrats to nominate the likes of Harris, Warren or Gillibrand against Trump because Donald can then do his usual smear Campaign against Women.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1532 on: July 30, 2018, 03:22:33 PM »

Stacey Abrams wrote romance novels under the name Selena Montgomery, and at least one was published after she was elected to Georgia's legislature

https://www.harpercollins.com/author/cr-104432/selena-montgomery/
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1533 on: July 30, 2018, 03:38:24 PM »

I predict the Democratic Nominee in 2020 will be a Governor. Too risky for Democrats to nominate the likes of Harris, Warren or Gillibrand against Trump because Donald can then do his usual smear Campaign against Women.

This meme. Lmao. If the Democrats refuse to nominate a woman because they want to appeal to sexist WWC and repel Trump misogyny, they'll lose.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1534 on: July 30, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »

Bill Kristol considering a run

http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/30/bill-kristol-2020/
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1535 on: July 30, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »

dear god
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1536 on: July 30, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »

Gillibrand bucked it, kind of, by writing a children's book.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1537 on: July 30, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »

Terrible fiction is for ex-politicians, silly.

Leave power and all the sudden you're Tom Clancy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1538 on: July 31, 2018, 12:23:25 AM »

Here's the relevant excerpt:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1539 on: July 31, 2018, 12:26:38 AM »

Biden had lunch with Obama in DC today:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-biden-lunch_us_5b5f6336e4b0b15aba9b9b30

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1540 on: July 31, 2018, 10:24:07 AM »

The Daily Beast has a big story on the inside moves being made by prospective candidates, noting in particular that Steyer, Schultz, Bullock, and Garcetti have been talking to strategists and potential campaign staff about plans for a campaign, should they decide to go ahead with a run:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-2020-dem-class-is-already-frantically-making-moves-behind-the-scenes

Bullock’s also headed to New Hampshire in the coming weeks, and has been talking to fundraisers:

There’s mention of what some of the other likely candidates have been doing too.  E.g., Cory Booker has appeared on CNN and MSNBC over a dozen times since early June, compared to just four appearances during the same interval a year ago.  Warren is doing a ton of interviews too, in contrast to her early years in the Senate, when she would run away from reporters.

Oh, and there are two more books by prospective candidates that didn’t make the CNN list.  Both Gabbard and Moulton have books coming out in April 2019:

”Is Today the Day?: Not Another Political Memoir” by Tulsi Gabbard

”Called to Serve: Learning to Lead in War and Peace” by Seth Moulton
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1541 on: July 31, 2018, 10:26:00 AM »

Oh, I forgot my favorite line from that Daily Beast story:

foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #1542 on: July 31, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »

The Daily Beast story includes this Line

"A source close to the Bullock—the only Democratic governor is a state that Trump win in 2016—told The Daily Beast that he is “clearly thinking about” a presidential run focused around  his pursuit of campaign finance reform."

Is that trying to say that Bullock is the only governor to represent a state that Trump won? Because that isn't even slightly true, NC, LA, and PA all have Democratic governors. If it is just governors who won in 2016 in states that Trump won that would be Bullock and Roy Cooper of NC. The only distinction that Bullock can get is that he is the only Democrat to win reelection on the same day that Trump won their state.  Or is it saying that he is the only potential 2020 Democrat who is from a state that Trump won. If I'm just missing something please let me know.

To make this relevant to 2020, I think that Bullock would be pretty much unstoppable in the general with someone like Harris as his VP.

I really hate it when people forget my boy Roy Sad

Bullock's biggest problem is being too conservative for the primaries and being a white male. He'd be a fantastic VP for Kamala Harris or Oprah or Catherine Cortez Masto. Otherwise, he'd wipe the floor during the general election.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1543 on: July 31, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »

Oh, and there are two more books by prospective candidates that didn’t make the CNN list.  Both Gabbard and Moulton have books coming out in April 2019:

”Is Today the Day?: Not Another Political Memoir” by Tulsi Gabbard

”Called to Serve: Learning to Lead in War and Peace” by Seth Moulton

I'm not particularly fond of Tulsi Gabbard, but that meta title is pretty great.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1544 on: July 31, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »

Steyer spending big:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/31/steyer-democrats-millions-midterms-751245

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1545 on: July 31, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »

The Daily Beast story includes this Line

"A source close to the Bullock—the only Democratic governor is a state that Trump win in 2016—told The Daily Beast that he is “clearly thinking about” a presidential run focused around  his pursuit of campaign finance reform."

Is that trying to say that Bullock is the only governor to represent a state that Trump won? Because that isn't even slightly true, NC, LA, and PA all have Democratic governors. If it is just governors who won in 2016 in states that Trump won that would be Bullock and Roy Cooper of NC. The only distinction that Bullock can get is that he is the only Democrat to win reelection on the same day that Trump won their state.  Or is it saying that he is the only potential 2020 Democrat who is from a state that Trump won. If I'm just missing something please let me know.

To make this relevant to 2020, I think that Bullock would be pretty much unstoppable in the general with someone like Harris as his VP.

I really hate it when people forget my boy Roy Sad

Bullock's biggest problem is being too conservative for the primaries and being a white male. He'd be a fantastic VP for Kamala Harris or Oprah or Catherine Cortez Masto. Otherwise, he'd wipe the floor during the general election.
What is Bullock allegedly conservative on though? And can we stop with the meme that Democrats hate white males? There are scenarios where either Bernie or Biden could cake walk to the nomination. A white male (not necessarily Bernie) probably would have won the nomination in 2016 if Hillary hadn't been all but crowned the nomination for taking her 2008 primary loss like a champ.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1546 on: August 01, 2018, 08:56:47 AM »

Steve Schmidt's departure from the GOP has led to speculation that he'll advise Howard Schultz on a bid for the Democratic nomination:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/01/schmidts-break-from-the-gop-the-talk-of-dc-753107

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1547 on: August 01, 2018, 10:06:16 AM »

Landrieu tells Oprah he's never running for office again.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1548 on: August 01, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

Here's the quote:

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1549 on: August 01, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »

Steve Schmidt's departure from the GOP has led to speculation that he'll advise Howard Schultz on a bid for the Democratic nomination:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/01/schmidts-break-from-the-gop-the-talk-of-dc-753107

Schimdt had a terrible record as a campaign operative and ran won of the worst campaigns in recent memory in 2008. Hiring him would be next level stupidity, I mean even Lewandowski has a better record than he does
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies