Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:24:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Poll
Question: Whom would you vote for?
Atny General Jerry Kilgore (R)

Lt. Governor Tim Kaine (D)

State Senator Russell Potts, Jr. (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election  (Read 31286 times)
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2005, 06:47:56 PM »

The debate is on C-SPAN right now.

IMO Kaine is winning, and I don't want to sound mean but Kilgore has a very femme voice.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2005, 06:53:18 PM »

Kaine is the better debater and speaker but Kilgore probably won on the issues (I just stopped watching).

Illegal Immigration: Kilgore
Death Penalty: Kilgore
Affirmative Action: Kilgore
Transportation: Draw
Gas Tax issue: Draw
Abortion: Draw
Record/Experience: Kilgore

Style: Kaine

It's not that Kilgore out-debated Kaine; it's that topics were brought up where Kilgore is more in line with public opinion. Kaine's answers were better constructed across the board.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2005, 06:55:07 PM »

Let me illustrate just how out of touch liberals are with public opinion.

CBS News Poll of 7/29 - 8/2/05

Sould immigrants who are in the U.S illegally be allowed to apply for work permits which would allow them to stay and work in the United States, or shouldn't they be allow to do that?

Allowed                       32%
Not Allowed                 63
Unsure                          5

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Do you think the United States should or should not make it easier fo illegal immigrants to become citizens of the United States?

Should                      28%
Should Not               70
Unsure                       2

Both of the polls were deliberately designed to FAVOR the position opposed by the American people!  Despite the loaded and turgid wording, the people made their position abundantly clear.
Yeah, because, obviously, a poll of a few thousand people should determine our policy towards immigrants because of people like you and Tom Tancredo.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2005, 06:59:58 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2005, 07:06:46 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Just finished watching the debate.  Wow, just wow.  The highlight of the debate for me was the pledge by Tim Kaine to air positive ad's 50 percent of the time.  Kilgore refused to make the same pledge.  Sabato & Kaine nailed him on that point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2005, 07:00:49 PM »

Should immigrants who are in the U.S illegally be allowed to apply for work permits which would allow them to stay and work in the United States, or shouldn't they be allow to do that?

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Do you think the United States should or should not make it easier fo illegal immigrants to become citizens of the United States?

Both of the polls were deliberately designed to FAVOR the position opposed by the American people!  Despite the loaded and turgid wording, the people made their position abundantly clear.

Nice try at liberal bashing, but I oppose work permits.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2005, 07:02:42 PM »

Sould immigrants who are in the U.S illegally be allowed to apply for work permits which would allow them to stay and work in the United States, or shouldn't they be allow to do that?

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Yeah, because, obviously, a poll of a few thousand people should determine our policy towards immigrants because of people like you and Tom Tancredo.

Er, I cited two surveys which were rigged to give a FAVORABLE opinion of illegal aliens!

Let candidates for public office clearly state their policies on this matter and lets see how the public votes.

Kaine made the mistake of staking out a relatively clear position on this matter, which differs with that taken by Kilgore and the majority of the voting public in Virginia.  Big mistake by Kaine.

Generally, Kaine has tried to obscure his differences with Kilgore on the issues (for good reason).

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2005, 07:05:35 PM »

Should immigrants who are in the U.S illegally be allowed to apply for work permits which would allow them to stay and work in the United States, or shouldn't they be allow to do that?

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

So, will you join me (and the majority of Americans) in supporting expulsion of illegal aliens?
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2005, 07:06:02 PM »

The highlight of the debate was Kaine pledging that less than half of his ads would be negative and Kilgore saying that he would not pledge that less than half of his ads would be negative because it would not give Virginia the candidate comparisan that it needs.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2005, 07:07:06 PM »

The highlight of the debate was Kaine pledging that less than half of his ads would be negative and Kilgore saying that he would not pledge that less than half of his ads would be negative because it would not give Virginia the candidate comparisan that it needs.

Indeed.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2005, 07:09:15 PM »

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

So, will you join me (and the majority of Americans) in supporting expulsion of illegal aliens?

Do a majority of Americans support expulsion? Anyways, what I am strongly against is guest worker programs.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2005, 08:20:04 PM »

I thought Kaine's biggest weakness was affirmative action. Kilgore wasn't going to rake in black votes anyway... I can not even begin to tell you the amount of anger there is at the public university system in Virginia over affirmative action. Speaking in favor of it like that might have cost Kaine tens of thousands of votes instantly.

Kaine also replied weakly to his F rating by the NRA and came across as an asshole. Kilgore just came across as a bad debater who struggles to string together coherent responses, and who is repetitive and perhaps prone to making unfair accusations against his opponent.

Kilgore should have done a better job of at least noting that being AG is a real job, whereas Lt. Gov. is a complete joke. That, along with his ideology fitting the voting public better, is his main strength.

Kaine "won" the debate, I guess, but what really matters is how people vote on election day. Right now I'd say Kilgore is a 3-4 point favorite.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #161 on: October 09, 2005, 08:23:05 PM »

C-SPAN will be re-airing the debate later tonight for those who missed it.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2005, 10:54:05 PM »

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Do a majority of Americans support expulsion? Anyways, what I am strongly against is guest worker programs.

I will simplify the question to your level.

Do you believe that illegal aliens currently in this country should be allowed to stay here?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #163 on: October 09, 2005, 10:59:11 PM »

maybe i should support kaine?

it looks like i agree with him on more issues than i do with kilgore?
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2005, 12:47:45 AM »

Alright, I just saw the debate.

1. Who exactly is running for the Democrats? Tim Kaine or Mark Warner? I'm pretty sure Warner's name was mentioned around 20 times.

2. Neither candidate was spectacular. Kilgore had more trouble articulating his points but Tim Kaine didn't exactly blow the competition away. Probably a slight edge to Kaine as he is a better debater but not a convincing victory.

3. In the big scheme of things, the campaign ad pledge means almost nothing. If the reason you decide to vote for someone is because they've run a positive campaign, then you've got issues.

4. Kaine was hurt by his NRA "F" grade. Don't underestimate the single-issue voters in the Southwest.

5. Kilgore hammered away on numerous occasions regarding Kaine's opposition to the death penalty. I'm not sure what feelings are regarding the death penalty throughout the state, but Kilgore must know something I don't to have hammered away on it so hard.

Some less serious points:

1. Kaine has a weird thing going on with his eyebrows. One is much higher than the other.

2. Sabato is pretty overrated. I don't know why he is seen as some sort of god of Virginia politics.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2005, 08:59:43 AM »

Rasmussen 10/12/05:

Jerry Kilgore (R) 46%
Tim Kaine (D) 44%
Russell Potts (I) 1%
---------------------------

October 12, 2005--The televised debate is over and the race to replace Mark Warner as Virginia Governor remains too close to call. Republican Jerry Kilgore attracts 46% of the statewide vote while Democrat Tim Kaine earns 44%.

Two weeks ago, the two leading candidates were tied at 45%.

Jerry Kilgore has been at 45% or 46% in four of the six Rasmussen Reports Virginia election polls this year. Once, he was above that at 47% and once below that at 43%.

Kaine's support was at 39% to 41% in the first four Rasmussen Reports Virginia election polls. His numbers have improved a bit for the two most recent election polls.

Independent candidate Russell Potts attracts just one percent (1%) of the statewide vote.

Just 53% of Virginia's Likely Voters have read, seen, or heard any news stories about Sunday night's televised debate. A plurality of those had watched little or none of the debate as it was televised.

Among those who had heard about the debate, 40% thought Kaine won while 34% thought Kilgore did a better job. Seventy-six percent (76%) of Kaine supporters thought their man won. Seventy-three (73%) of Kilgore supporters thought the same about their candidate.

Just 11% of all voters consider the debate very important in terms of impacting their vote.

Since the election is drawing closer, Rasmussen Reports made a slight change in the methodology for this survey compared to earlier Virginia election polls.

The methodological change had little impact on the relative support for Kilgore and Kaine, but it sharply diminished support for Russell Potts. Seventy-nine percent (79%) of those who initially said they would vote for Potts answered a follow-up question indicating they would vote for either Kilgore or Kaine.

Seventy-one percent (71%) of Virginia voters Approve of the way that Warner is performing his duties as Governor. Although the state typically leans Republican in national elections, just 50% of Virginia voters Approve of the way President Bush is performing his job.

Fifty-three percent (53%) of Virginia voters have a favorable opinion of Kilgore. Fifty-six percent (56%) say the same about Kaine. Potts is viewed favorably by 28%.

Rasmussen Reports is an electronic publishing firm specializing in the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information.

Rasmussen Reports was the nation's most accurate polling firm during the Presidential election and the only one to project both Bush and Kerry's vote total within half a percentage point of the actual outcome.

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2005, 11:27:29 AM by nickshep democRAT »

The Kilgore campaign released two very powerful ads this week.  They could deal the final blow to Kaine.  IMO, they go a too far.  I think its a sad day when you have to exploit the murdered and their grieving families for political gain, but like they say, all is fair in love, war, and running for office.

Take a look...

First ad:  http://jerrykilgore.com/contents/media/videos/ads/stanley1.shtml
Second ad:  http://jerrykilgore.com/contents/media/videos/ads/stanley2.shtml

Third ad:  http://jerrykilgore.com/contents/media/videos/ads/kelly1.shtml
MissCatholic

« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2005, 10:35:46 AM »

Kaine is toast. i saw one of the ads last night on kains view of the death penalty and its dynamite. the damage this is going to do can not be under-estimated. kaine needs a miracle to win.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2005, 10:44:18 AM »

A Republican smear campaign was inevitable. What Kaine does in the next two or three days will decide whether he still has a chance to win.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2005, 10:52:32 AM »

I saw the first ad last night on the news and it is very powerful.

This might give him Kilgore the edge to win which is what I hope happens.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2005, 10:54:05 AM »

I saw the first ad last night on the news.

Why would the ad be on TV in Wisconsin?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2005, 10:54:12 AM »

This might give him Kilgore the edge to win which is what I hope happens.

Why do you support Kilgore?  Just curious...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2005, 10:55:10 AM »

I saw the first ad last night on the news.

National news
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2005, 10:55:37 AM »

They are obviously very controversial ad's.  Kilgore is exploiting dead people and grieving families for political gain.

For the record.  I wouldnt support these ad's comming from a Democrat either.  They will be highly effective, but I still think they go a little too far.
MissCatholic

« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2005, 11:13:58 AM »

This is nothing. wait till we since the 'stop the coronation' bumper stickers if hillary is nominated. imagine the ads in october if she is close to winning?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies