DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:16:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 272073 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3900 on: January 11, 2021, 08:17:52 PM »

She's so f***ing worthless. As if "I think he learned his lesson" wasn't embarrassing enough.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #3901 on: January 11, 2021, 08:17:59 PM »

Squinting Really? Not Russians? Not Chinese...Iranians. Mmmk.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3902 on: January 11, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »

Biden indicating he still plans to follow through with plans for outdoor inauguration.

I respect his courage, but I do worry that he's putting himself at significant unnecessary risk.
The symbolism of a normal inauguration is important, but I think that the optics of an evacuation, or (God forbid) shots being fired towards the Capitol, are far worse.

He'll be surrounded by the military, there's not a chance a gunman is getting near him.

Also, being outdoors is good because of covid.

Yeah it is almost impossible that anyone could shoot at Biden. Certainly impossible to get close enough to him to shoot him with a handgun or something.

I guess a gun with enough of a long range could make it, but you'd need to be a very good shooter and I am not familiar with DC's geography to say whether there is any building or anything where you'd have a line of sight to Biden as he swears in.

Any would-be presidential assassins wouldn't do it on the inauguration I imagine.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3903 on: January 11, 2021, 08:19:43 PM »

Biden indicating he still plans to follow through with plans for outdoor inauguration.

I respect his courage, but I do worry that he's putting himself at significant unnecessary risk.
The symbolism of a normal inauguration is important, but I think that the optics of an evacuation, or (God forbid) shots being fired towards the Capitol, are far worse.

An outdoor event, with Biden, Harris and Pelosi, probably plus Democratic members of Congress and no Biden appointees in confirmed yet is a Trump terrorist's dream target. Forget "shots fired". I'm worried about a MAGAt with a bomb. Or a plane. If Biden is going through with this, Harris should be sworn in in advance and in a bunker somewhere else
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3904 on: January 11, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »

It confounds me that the only senate candidate who escaped clear partisan trends in the state in 2020 was Susan Collins who comes across as semi-senile. 
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3905 on: January 11, 2021, 08:25:38 PM »

Friendly reminder that Collins sits on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3906 on: January 11, 2021, 08:26:04 PM »

Washington Monument closed due to credible threats from Trump supporters.

https://www.nps.gov/nama/learn/management/wamoclose.htm

Pursuant to 36 CFR § 1.5(a)(1) the National Mall and Memorial Parks is implementing temporary closures of National Park Service public facilities, parking areas and roadways in response to credible threats to visitors and park resources. Groups involved in the January 6, 2021 riots at the US Capitol continue to threaten to disrupt the 59th presidential inauguration on January 20, 2021. This includes the set up and execution of inaugural events, which occur in several park areas. In response, the National Park Service will suspend tours of the Washington Monument beginning January 11, 2021 through January 24, 2021 and may institute temporary closures of public access to roadways, parking areas and restrooms within the National Mall and Memorial Parks if conditions warrant, to protect public safety and park resources. These temporary closures may be extended if the conditions persist. The National Park Service will reopen areas as it determines that the conditions of concern are no longer present.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #3907 on: January 11, 2021, 08:29:51 PM »

Another one.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-carolina-army-officer-investigation-dc-rally-capitol-riot-fort-bragg
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3908 on: January 11, 2021, 08:31:31 PM »

What the hell does this even mean?
Iranians?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #3909 on: January 11, 2021, 08:34:22 PM »

WTF?

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3910 on: January 11, 2021, 08:34:47 PM »

He'll be surrounded by the military, there's not a chance a gunman is getting near him.

Yeah it is almost impossible that anyone could shoot at Biden. Certainly impossible to get close enough to him to shoot him with a handgun or something.

I guess a gun with enough of a long range could make it, but you'd need to be a very good shooter and I am not familiar with DC's geography to say whether there is any building or anything where you'd have a line of sight to Biden as he swears in.

Any would-be presidential assassins wouldn't do it on the inauguration I imagine.

I'm sure that the entire stage area will have the tall bulletproof glass in front. If not mistaken, this has been the normal thing to do in most of the recent inaugurations. It will probably be taller, wider and stronger for next week.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #3911 on: January 11, 2021, 08:42:23 PM »

WTF?

I double checked this, and it's true. What the ACTUAL F!?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3912 on: January 11, 2021, 08:49:57 PM »

WTF?

These people are absolute maniacs! Say what you will about their ability to empathize with other humans, but why harm an innocent animal!? Something is inherently wrong with you if you support Trump! You are a despicable psychopath if you do. I'm not pulling punches anymore. F*** Trump and everyone who ever voted for him!
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #3913 on: January 11, 2021, 08:51:07 PM »

Honestly wouldn't having a large crowd to support Biden be a good idea, could be the way to intimidate the Trumpers
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3914 on: January 11, 2021, 09:05:27 PM »

WTF?

I think it's important for people to recognize that there's a huge proportion of Trump supporters who are seriously psychologically disturbed.  I'm sure they'll now claim this is ANTIFA.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3915 on: January 11, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »

Honestly wouldn't having a large crowd to support Biden be a good idea, could be the way to intimidate the Trumpers

Except all the covid.
walleye26

« Reply #3916 on: January 11, 2021, 09:06:52 PM »

There is a 0% chance of that happening. Seriously, if you don’t think the Secret Service has snipers on every rooftop, windows blocked, anti-car spikes, and all other sorts of counter-violence stuff ready you guys don’t realize all the prep they do. If you see uniformed police, it’s because they want you to see them. I’m sure they have plainclothes guys armed in the crowd, spotters everywhere, I mean they don’t mess around.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #3917 on: January 11, 2021, 09:09:05 PM »

Unless they turn the National Mall into a giant parking lot, Biden would never agree to it.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3918 on: January 11, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3919 on: January 11, 2021, 09:21:34 PM »

WTF?

I think it's important for people to recognize that there's a huge proportion of Trump supporters who are seriously psychologically disturbed.  I'm sure they'll now claim this is ANTIFA.

Or they'll claim that it's a Jussie Smollett-esque hoax. Yeah, no, not this time! It's one thing to harm yourself and blame someone else, but to harm an animal and blame someone else? I don't think an anti-Trump attention whore like Smollett would even go that far.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3920 on: January 11, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3921 on: January 11, 2021, 10:37:53 PM »

Trump WH declares Biden's inauguration an emergency:

To clarify, DC Mayor Bowser did request federal assistance with the inauguration:
https://mayor.dc.gov/release/mayor-bowser%E2%80%99s-letter-us-department-homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-wolf-regarding
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3922 on: January 11, 2021, 10:40:12 PM »

This was requested by the mayor of D.C. as a step that allows better interagency coordination on security measures.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3923 on: January 11, 2021, 10:41:46 PM »

To clarify, DC Mayor Bowser did request federal assistance with the inauguration:
https://mayor.dc.gov/release/mayor-bowser%E2%80%99s-letter-us-department-homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-wolf-regarding

Is this actually a Bad Thing somehow? I think my views on Trump's well deserving two die in prison are a matter of record, but it seems very emergency declarations through the inauguration date - - anything that helps free up resources and Manpower between now and then -- isn't a bad thing.

If that is what this order means, it is clearly a broken clock moment, but again I'm not sure it's bad in and of itself.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3924 on: January 11, 2021, 11:04:50 PM »

Is this actually a Bad Thing somehow? I think my views on Trump's well deserving two die in prison are a matter of record, but it seems very emergency declarations through the inauguration date - - anything that helps free up resources and Manpower between now and then -- isn't a bad thing.

If that is what this order means, it is clearly a broken clock moment, but again I'm not sure it's bad in and of itself.

For me the kicker is in the phrasing. (Emphasis is mine.)

"President Donald J. Trump declared that an emergency exists in the District of Columbia and ordered Federal assistance to supplement the District's response efforts due to the emergency conditions resulting from the 59th Presidential Inauguration from January 11 to January 24, 2021."

He's not acknowledging his attempted coup, the attack on the Capitol, or the terror attacks his supporters are planning. He's saying the "emergency" is Biden's Inauguration.

I expect and hope this is just him being petty; someone told him he had to do this, and he did it as passive-aggressively as possible. 

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies