DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:33:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 272031 times)
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3725 on: January 10, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »

Thank God. And I don't believe that is a hyperbolic statement whatsoever. Mass prosecution's of these people who almost universally escaped arrest on that day is a crucial part of History establishing the wrongness of this traitorous violent insurrection.

Now if they'll just go after the ringleader....

They have a very good defense. They were instructed to do so by the President of the United States. They believed they were doing the right thing.

“Your honor, my friend told me to rob that bank so you can’t convict me.”
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3726 on: January 10, 2021, 07:01:45 PM »

Thank God. And I don't believe that is a hyperbolic statement whatsoever. Mass prosecution's of these people who almost universally escaped arrest on that day is a crucial part of History establishing the wrongness of this traitorous violent insurrection.

Now if they'll just go after the ringleader....

They have a very good defense. They were instructed to do so by the President of the United States. They believed they were doing the right thing.

The president told me to do it is not a legal defense to sedition. At all.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3727 on: January 10, 2021, 07:07:48 PM »

Defending sedition, terrorism, illegal entry, vandalism, physical assault, beating an officer to death with a fire extinguisher, beating an officer to the point of making them commit suicide, and beating an officer to the point in which a wooden doorframe is about to tear their arm off to own the libs.

But remember, The Green New Deal is gonna take muh job!

(Sigh). You joke somewhat, but you are basically right. As we've already seen even from the atlas posters, and the vast majority of Republicans who are doing 180 degrees after screaming tor months how tbe MAGA movement needed to take direct action to undo the powers that be stealing this fraudulent election, blah blah blah are going to get a complete pass by 95 + percent of Republican voters. Rather than accepting that trumpism is a disease that is Thoroughly infected the overwhelming majority of the Republican party from voter to the halls of Congress and everywhere in between, and won't by any means disappear once Trump leaves office. They want to pretend that everything will magically return to normal, rather than the fact that Trump ism will continue to be the driving force in the Republican party after January 20th, and needs cut out root and branch by supposedly patriotic Republicans like themselves.

Instead though, they will continue to make the exact same Faustian bargain with the same Republican politicians who inside this shameful traitorous take over the capitol just like Trump, rather than God forbid see Democrats get elected because they patriotically and morally at least withheld supporting these shameful inciters to treasonous violence.

In the problem with that is we will see the exact same damned thing sooner rather than later unless they do otherwise. As some other Progressive poster, I can't recall whom, very eloquently stated in the last few days that they personally would be accepting of having their political party and candidates in the minority for a few decades and there policy agenda not passed if it meant preserving our system where government is run by the people who win the most votes in a free and functioning elections. The ugly reality is that the vast majority of Republican voters genuinely don't believe that way, so trumpism will survive and continue to thrive in the Republican party long after Trump.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3728 on: January 10, 2021, 07:10:29 PM »

This is monstrous

I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I hate this country.

Love America. Just see its faults clearly, and despise the 75 + percent of the Republican Party who helped instigate this by word, deed, and above all of Mission to speak out.

That is of course to 75% who will still support folks like Hawley, Cruz, etc etc etc all up and down the ballot.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3729 on: January 10, 2021, 07:11:42 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3730 on: January 10, 2021, 07:11:48 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Trump can recover from this by 2024?
Or am I just a doomer?

Assuming he's not barred from running for office, he's still the heavy favorite for the Republican nomination.

However, he is DOA for the general election. Harris wins with the 413 map.

I too think Trump would finally be damaged goods from the get-go in a general election, but I still think the 413 NUT map is fantasy.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3731 on: January 10, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Trump can recover from this by 2024?
Or am I just a doomer?

Assuming he's not barred from running for office, he's still the heavy favorite for the Republican nomination.

However, he is DOA for the general election. Harris wins with the 413 map.

I too think Trump would finally be damaged goods from the get-go in a general election, but I still think the 413 NUT map is fantasy.

Agreed. I think Trump would lose all of the states he lost last year, in addition to North Carolina and possibly Florida. He would probably still hold Texas by the skin of his teeth, and would comfortably hold Iowa and Ohio.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3732 on: January 10, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »

If you still support Donald Trump, you’re a terrorist yourself.

There can be no more tolerance for people who would side with a now proven and even admitted traitor.

Terrorism requires actually using violence to carry out your goals, so I wouldn't call anyone a terrorist unless they are violent or advocate violence. I can see the argument for calling Trump himself a terrorist, and I would probably agree, but I wouldn't extend that to every single one of his supporters.

True, but at minimum enablers and coddlers of terrorism.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3733 on: January 10, 2021, 07:24:23 PM »

Fareed Zakaria: There is cause for optimism after capitol attack.

Watch the 5-1/2 minute video here ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/01/10/exp-gps-0110-fareeds-take.cnn

" this opportunity has finally made some Republicans stop coddling Donald Trump. Perhaps they've realize that tax cuts and conservative federal judges aren't worth shredding the Constitution."

He is eloquent, but this statement is grossly over optimistic, and does not seem to be based much in reality other than around the periphery. As we've seen, the vast majority of Republicans have started spewing out the organized talking point du jour how holding Trump accountable will somehow be detrimental towards National unity and healing and undermining president-elect Biden, blah blah blah blah blah, rather than actually taking a stand acknowledging either they were wrong about Trump, or that trumpism in their party can and should be challenged.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3734 on: January 10, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »

At this point, why does it matter if the GOP is coddling or not coddling Trump?  They have no power anymore.  Thanks Ossoff.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3735 on: January 10, 2021, 07:27:10 PM »

Loss of the PGA championship was already mentioned in this thread, but this is more extensive.

There have also been reports of several companies and organizations suspending donations to all Republicans who voted against certifying the electoral count.

Yes! Now this is the type of change we need. Need!

FYI I'm referring to companies cutting off funds to the Congressional Riot Inciters.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3736 on: January 10, 2021, 07:29:19 PM »

It seems that Trump's business will be hurt a lot.
If I were him, I would sell all assets as soon as possible.

By all accounts he is facing a ton of soon-maturing debts to Deutsche Bank and others for which he is personally liable. Expect yet another bankruptcy filing from this smart smart business genius within the next year or 3.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3737 on: January 10, 2021, 07:33:37 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 07:51:17 PM by Badger »

The contrast to BLM protests couldn’t be any more jarring.

Absolutely true. And as usual the vast majority of conservatives pants and don't distinguish between the assholes who looted and / or burned stores, who almost universally couldn't really give a s*** about BLM, and the BLM movement itself.

One could arguably make at least the tiniest comparison to those antifa Anarchist bastards who would have liked to have done something like this to police. The difference is that, after having been egged on and encouraged by the president himself as well as most of his political party for years, the proud boys, qanon, and there certifiably mentally ill allies are vastly larger in numbers and bus danger than antifa.

And of course, the other side of it is while I'll largely forgive the rank-and-file Capitol Police who did what they could and bled and died defending the Capitol, bastards from on high in the organization clearly treated preparing for this protest with kid gloves where as they came down on antifa and even BLM marches like a ton of bricks.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3738 on: January 10, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 07:50:40 PM by Badger »

From his podcast episode yesterday, Dan Crenshaw calls out Trump, Giuliani, etc. pretty brutally.

"There is nothing to be proud of. There is no patriotism to be had by what happened...Don't call yourself a patriot by what happened. You got someone killed. You accomplished nothing."

"...but none of them ("good" Republicans) were amping up January 6th. None of them were telling people to come and fight, and stand, and 'This is your revolution!...people I just mentioned (Congressmen with military experience who protected the Capitol during the coup) actually know what a fight looks like. The people who did hype everybody up, and you know who you are, and all of you know who they are, they were nowhere to be found. These cowards - who've never been in a fight themselves, who created one and then ran."

Slight on-the-fence-ism as is Crenshaw's signature trait, but I'm really impressed that he's willing to risk his 2024 primary odds this way. I saw him as one who would defend the events that happened.

His district is pretty marginal and he probably has more to fear out of a general election challenge. Coming down on the capitol rioters now that there's been a loss of life among law enforcement is probably the safest thing to do.

He knows exactly what he's doing.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3739 on: January 10, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »

Lmao the rental car companies should ban them too.

Bus companies too. And hotels for that matter.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3740 on: January 10, 2021, 07:40:39 PM »

I'm starting to notice Reps. Meijer, Mace, and a few other younger Republican House members seem to be issuing genuinely humane takes on the incident, and I hope that they represent a trend that will continue to grow in the party. Trump indoctrinated so many young Republicans, sadly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3741 on: January 10, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »

It seems that Trump's business will be hurt a lot.
If I were him, I would sell all assets as soon as possible.

It'll be tough. Ongoing criminal investigations, hesitance from even Russian or Chinese banks to finance him, business partners fleeing, and an extremely depressed hospitality industry could mean he can't even afford to sell.

Regardless, he needs to sell and fast, because the price is going down, fast.

Who would want to buy a former Trump asset?  Even with Trump no longer associated with it, the Trump stench will reduce its value. Unless it's a property that's uniquely suited for your business, best to wait to buy it out of the bankruptcy proceedings where you can at least say you didn't give Trump money, just his creditors.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3742 on: January 10, 2021, 07:41:27 PM »

Trump Terrorists are being added to the no-fly list:

It’s amazing that they genuinely seemed to think there would be no consequences.

Then again
..when you catch somebody in a fraud your allowed to go by very different rules
From Trump’s call to arms.

So maybe not surprising?

They believe they did nothing wrong.

BTW. While I don't expect you'll give much of a rat's backside about this, based on your posting the last few days, welcome back to being off my ignore list. Cheesy

FWIW.....
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3743 on: January 10, 2021, 07:43:50 PM »

It’s amazing that they genuinely seemed to think there would be no consequences.

Then again
..when you catch somebody in a fraud your allowed to go by very different rules
From Trump’s call to arms.

So maybe not surprising?

They believe they did nothing wrong.

BTW. While I don't expect you'll give much of a rat's backside about this, based on your posting the last few days, welcome back to being off my ignore list. Cheesy

FWIW.....

Nice. My ignore list is empty. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3744 on: January 10, 2021, 07:44:31 PM »

If only that were even close to what actually happened.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3745 on: January 10, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »

Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason. — John Harrington

They thought they were going to succeed.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3746 on: January 10, 2021, 07:49:21 PM »

At this point, why does it matter if the GOP is coddling or not coddling Trump?  They have no power anymore.  Thanks Ossoff.

One. It is fundamentally important to hold Trump and is enablers within the Republican Party fully accountable, not just to give a crucially desperately need reinforcements to the principle that in America the rule of law and democracy is Supreme. Otherwise this or something similar to it will occur sooner rather than later. It may be a genuine Congressional rejection of legitimately cast electoral votes rather than a mob take over, but a coup subverting a free and fair election none the less.

2. This really isn't about politics, but fwiw given the power of the filibuster combined with only razor-thin minorities in both houses, both of which will likely be both of which will likely be overcome in the 22 midterms, plus a federal Judiciary now firmly packed with Federalist Society clones, they are hardly powerless.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3747 on: January 10, 2021, 07:51:20 PM »

From his podcast episode yesterday, Dan Crenshaw calls out Trump, Giuliani, etc. pretty brutally.

"There is nothing to be proud of. There is no patriotism to be had by what happened...Don't call yourself a patriot by what happened. You got someone killed. You accomplished nothing."

"...but none of them ("good" Republicans) were amping up January 6th. None of them were telling people to come and fight, and stand, and 'This is your revolution!...people I just mentioned (Congressmen with military experience who protected the Capitol during the coup) actually know what a fight looks like. The people who did hype everybody up, and you know who you are, and all of you know who they are, they were nowhere to be found. These cowards - who've never been in a fight themselves, who created one and then ran."

Slight on-the-fence-ism as is Crenshaw's signature trait, but I'm really impressed that he's willing to risk his 2024 primary odds this way. I saw him as one who would defend the events that happened.

His district is pretty marginal and he probably has more to beer out of a general election challenge. Coming down on the capitol rioters now that there's been a loss of life among law enforcement is probably the safest thing to do.

And yet you wonder why your speech-to-text generator causes people to think you're drunk posting !?!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3748 on: January 10, 2021, 07:56:15 PM »

His district is pretty marginal and he probably has more to beer out of a general election challenge. Coming down on the capitol rioters now that there's been a loss of life among law enforcement is probably the safest thing to do.

And yet you wonder why your speech-to-text generator causes people to think you're drunk posting !?!

Already noticed it and corrected before seeing your post, my friend. Though you may be right, with all the enormous stress and frankly sadness this is causing me over the future of our country, it might well have been a Freudian slip.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #3749 on: January 10, 2021, 07:59:53 PM »

I wonder if Chicago will forcibly remove Trump's name from Trump tower that facing the Chicago River. Its so big and bold in the middle  of the city, and I think the city's residents will definitely want it removed or moved elsewhere(kinda like Trump tower outside of the strip in Las Vegas)
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 [150] 151 152 153 154 155 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies