2020 Protests megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:32:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64420 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 01, 2020, 11:48:59 AM »

Broken clock moment
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 02:04:32 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 03:51:15 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

Tell me again how white voters will flock to Trump after watching this sh**t.

Because the type of white people Trump is aiming for hate the media almost as much as they do uppity black people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:07:17 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 03:51:42 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

In what universe?Huh? Suburb-dwellers like the police right up until jackboot sh**t like this starts happening. I can’t see it playing well.

Reagan fans universe. You see, he's very very racist.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 02:15:06 AM »

Hundreds of marchers just went up my street. I walked down to the sidewalk and took it all in. They were peaceful but were blocking traffic. Overall no harm/no foul, but stay the hell out of the street. The vast majority of them were white, fwiw.

Come on, man. Most of us are an agreement that, disregarding looters were simply opportunistic criminals looking to make some quick bucks, that protesters who devolve into rioters by burning and window-smashing as some attempted political statement are right out, surely blocking a public Street is a reasonable and acceptable form of social protest?

This reminds me how someone on the interwebs pointed out that the same people angry over these protest marches are the same folks who equally lost their s*** over Colin Kaepernick peacefully taking a knee over the same issue.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 02:18:48 AM »

Trump's speech was great. No mercy for rioters and looters. Trump's bringing me (and many other pubs) home with these remarks.

Or protesters. Don't forget based on what happened in front of the White House that there will be no mercy for peaceful protesters either.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 03:04:55 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 03:52:50 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

These police have intentionally assaulted members of the press, medics and other neutral parties.
Anyone who continues to defend these monsters is an unprincipled crank.

If you aren't voting for Biden I don't want to hear it.

"Sorry, I'm ignoring massive human rights abuses because I suspect your voting intentions."

This is completely missing the point, but you do you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 03:08:24 AM »

Imagine believing that FUBAR disgrace helped Trump with Midwest suburbanites Roll Eyes

There are a lot of people in the suburbs annoyed or even tee off at Trump's incompetence who will choose him as the lesser of two evils over perceived chords of rampaging blacks and antifa anarchists.

More tellingly, at least two anti Trump conservatives on Atlas, grass roots and Sprouts, have openly expressed heightened willingness to support Trump over these actions. This is potentially going to bring home Republicans wavering on Trump.

That said, he can be as Law & Order is he wants, but Trump is still clearly the chaos candidate. People tired of should be thrown at the fan rather than merely incidentally hitting it are going to be even less likely to vote for him.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 03:09:11 AM »

Maybe, just maybe people are expecting more out of the president of the United States than they are a handful of looters and arsonists. But you do you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 03:11:10 AM »

Why does he look like a fourth grader bsing his way through a book report without having read the book?
This one comment was actually funny and it made me laugh.

Trump's imbecilic and condescending attempts to pretend he's a practicing Christian of any consistent doctrine is probably the thing he does that pisses me off the most. When I drunkenly booed him at a rally in 2016 the thing that really set me off was when he said he "loves the evangels [sic] Christians." Using a church as a prop like this, especially without the church's approval is offensive.

LOLOL! I respected you before, but that just reached towering levels to hear you boo'd Trump at a rally 4 years ago, and did it while drunk no less.Grin

So what happened? Did you get thrown out? If so was it secret service or local cops, or maybe just some local Maga heads?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 03:31:46 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 04:01:41 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

These police have intentionally assaulted members of the press, medics and other neutral parties.
Anyone who continues to defend these monsters is an unprincipled crank.

If you aren't voting for Biden I don't want to hear it.

"Sorry, I'm ignoring massive human rights abuses because I suspect your voting intentions."
You have no interest in removing the root of the problem and are therefore in no position to decry its effects. Period.

The root of the problem is systemic white supremacy in the United States that emboldens racists everywhere to commit horrendous acts. Trump is just a symptom of that.

Trump aggressively encourages that white supremacy, post with rhetoric and action - - you can't find a black man in his administration outside Ben Carson and it shows. Plus at policy level Heat has rolled back Department of Justice oversight on Renegade police departments. It's no irony that the head of the Minneapolis Police Union extolled him at a rally in 2017 and all the good work he did rolling back the holder / Lynch regime - - his words - - handcuffing the cops.

At worst it's a chicken or egg question, but both are really really freaking important. At worst, one would say there would be no such Nationwide protests if Obama were still president. Racism would still be present of course, but at least people can trust that someone at the top genuinely cared about it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 03:36:38 AM »

Imagine the tedium of droning on about "party unity" when the entire country is unraveling at its seams. Tone deaf to the nth.

Uniting progressives, regardless of their party registration, is crucial to getting rid of the man who is overwhelmingly responsible for the country's current condition. So, kind of true?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 03:39:30 AM »

Yes, to a limited degree. However, as you and I can agree Trump is a person completely lacking hws penchant for restraint and basic Humanity.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 03:48:54 AM »

Best tweet ever.

" you know, I always wanted to know what it would be like to experience the Spanish Flu, Great Depression, and 1968 riots all at once while Andrew Johnson was president."
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2020, 03:50:33 AM »

Obviously those police officers are outliers, because many on this site claim that most/all cops are bad and evil 🤷‍♂️

These gestures are a step in the right direction, but why aren't we seeing officers openly commit to defunding and demilitarizing their departments? If they really want to be apart of solving this systemic problem, they wouldn't just be kneeling and saying a nice speech while minutes later deploy teargas and rubber bullets to these people (which is getting more clear that they've been using on violent and peaceful demonstrations).

>I want police to be more professional, better trained, and better able to screen out undesirable recruits
>Why haven't police committed to defunding themselves!?

Do people actually believe this tf

I guess they are supposed to host a bake sale to fund that training and screening.

Ah, the penultimate libertarian response. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 04:05:10 AM »

People keep beating around the bush. Want the broader solution to this crisis in twenty words or less?

Police have to be made to fear maintaining the status quo more than they fear change. Until or unless that happens, cops are going to behave as they've been behaving, and protests are going to continue to occur as they have. When/if cops are just as fearful (or more) of losing their jobs, pensions and families in the middle of the night due to their homes getting firebombed as they are fearful of somebody looking at them funny in the street while they are armed with surplus DOD gear, change will happen. Until then, social, political and cultural gravity will continue to apply here and the status quo will reign.

Dude. Did you seriously just suggest that part of the solution to police brutality is that they need to fear their family home being firebombed?? Shocked
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 05:34:02 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 11:08:16 AM by Everything Burns... »

People keep beating around the bush. Want the broader solution to this crisis in twenty words or less?

Police have to be made to fear maintaining the status quo more than they fear change. Until or unless that happens, cops are going to behave as they've been behaving, and protests are going to continue to occur as they have. When/if cops are just as fearful (or more) of losing their jobs, pensions and families in the middle of the night due to their homes getting firebombed as they are fearful of somebody looking at them funny in the street while they are armed with surplus DOD gear, change will happen. Until then, social, political and cultural gravity will continue to apply here and the status quo will reign.

I mean this might be the answer if your ultimate goal is open conflict with the government, and if so good luck with that sh*t lmao.

I guarantee that reprisals against police (as well as the disgusting implication here that random police officers families are fair targets for firebombing as political pressure???) will not garner you any sympathy and simply if anything will make the police more likely to fly off the handle in intense situations. Be careful with what you wish for.

Holy f****** s***. This is unreal.

Worrying about losing their jobs and even their pensions because they have to deal with real oversight boards with teeth, sure. That's an obvious and natural solution. Trying to cosplay Che Guevara and extol the firebombing of police officers homes and their families is, literally, monsterous.

I would like to think that you're simply joking as you typed that, but your bile is all too real.

That's disgusting Griffin. And let's not forget that every a****** trying to justify violence, from the far left to the far-right, inevitably uses, or rather misuses that Thomas Jefferson quote as piss poor justification. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to see and usually well spoken poster join their ranks.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »

Ok Mr.Hogg the Trumpists will overthrow Trump and let Pelosi be president and let you take away their guns.
Truly a brilliant solution.

He's completely correct in pointing out the hypocrisy here, you know.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 12:13:07 PM »

Well gee whiz, thanks Senator Sasse!

I will take pointing opposition to evil hypocrisy from almost whatever quarter it comes. Even from a pendant like Ben Sasse.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:04 PM »

Just a slice of how this all looks to the world:

To be fair, the media really needs to stop putting their employees in dangerous situations and get them to stand farther back (several city blocks) for their own safety.

Yes, put them far enough back then neither they, nor through the camera lens can anyone else in America, see what's going on. Kind of defeats the purpose, no?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 07:33:08 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 09:34:23 AM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

Attorney General Barr ordered authorities to clear protesters near White House, DOJ official says.

Attorney General William Barr on Monday evening ordered authorities to clear a crowd of protesters that had gathered near the White House, according to a Justice Department official, minutes ahead of President Donald Trump's televised address from the Rose Garden.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/politics/barr-protests-white-house/index.html

Is this even under the authority of the attorney general?

Probably not. But when is that ever stopped anyone in the Trump Administration, or again, any of their supporters from backing him just the same?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 09:33:56 AM »

Small businesses going bankrupt is an unfortunate result of the riots but one point I would make is most of these businesses that are being looted happen in be in areas that vote heavily democratic, many of these businesses are owned by people from ethnic groups that vote democratic, and many of these business owners no doubt vote for the democratic party which is the party whose mayors preside over the failure to control the riots and whose elected officials by and large are pro protest and anti police.

So to some extent these business owners brought this upon themselves by voting the way they vote, but nonetheless they should be assisted somewhat financially speaking to recover.  
I don't know whether to take this comment seriously or not? But with all due respect that's just Bullsh!t! The Democrats didn't cause covid19, they didn't kill George Floyd and the riots are being conducted by some lawless thugs.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »

Small businesses going bankrupt is an unfortunate result of the riots but one point I would make is most of these businesses that are being looted happen in be in areas that vote heavily democratic, many of these businesses are owned by people from ethnic groups that vote democratic, and many of these business owners no doubt vote for the democratic party which is the party whose mayors preside over the failure to control the riots and whose elected officials by and large are pro protest and anti police.

So to some extent these business owners brought this upon themselves by voting the way they vote, but nonetheless they should be assisted somewhat financially speaking to recover.  
I don't know whether to take this comment seriously or not? But with all due respect that's just Bullsh!t! The Democrats didn't cause covid19, they didn't kill George Floyd and the riots are being conducted by some lawless thugs.

These riots are taking place mainly in cities run by democrats, it is the failure of officials in the Democratic Party to control the riots which is obvious, I don’t see how anyone could dispute that point. Furthermore it is liberals who vote democratic, journalists etc  who have been making excuses and trying to provide cover for the riots. The people who are rioting themselves are obviously democratic supporters, demographically they are mostly young white leftists and poor African Americans, 2 groups that vote democratic.

As for the murder of George Floyd, it was a tragedy but the claim black men are targeted by police which is what protesters are claiming is nonsense. Only 23% of people shot dead by police in recent years have been black despite blacks committing 53% of all homicides and 60% of robberies in 2018. Furthermore, a police officer is 18.5x more likely to be killed by a black man than an unarmed black man is by the police. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/the-myth-of-systemic-police-racism-11591119883

The whole idea the police kill black men at higher rates relative to the crime they commit is nonsense, if anything the police kill fewer blacks relative to the amount of crime they are committing relative to other races.

I am all about the free exchange of ideas and open discussion. However, posts like this demonstrate that someone needs a big glass of STFU juice.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 09:37:31 AM »

I support the protesters and all, but does anyone else find this to be actual insanity after they have been barking at anyone who’s came within 2 meters of another person for the last 3 months?

Conversely, haven't the other "they" been saying the curve has been sufficiently flat and then we should be reopening Society weeks or months ago? Congratulations, folks like that have gotten their wish.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »

Neither a riot nor violent (yet) but I've been stuck outside my apartment building for almost an hour trying to deescalate a shouting match between 2 of my neighbors over this crap.

Good for you (sincerely).

This, but be careful man.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2020, 06:10:20 AM »

Neither a riot nor violent (yet) but I've been stuck outside my apartment building for almost an hour trying to deescalate a shouting match between 2 of my neighbors over this crap.

Good for you (sincerely).

This, but be careful man.

It's good. Recently lockdown-caused unemployed white ethinc industrial worker in an old glory clad "made in America" shirt apparently got cursed at today at Walmart because his shirt was "racist" and "supports murder". So he decided to come home and yell about the rioters and how we're a laughingstock country and slighty drunk Asian methodist restauranteur didn't agree. So I basically had to chainsmoke for an hr trying to get them to agree to something and then leave. After like the eighth time I reminded them that no one present supports violent rioting or the death of Floyd they finally stopped and left.

Mr. Reactionary: The hero we need, not the one we deserve.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies