2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:41:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64895 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: June 02, 2020, 12:09:27 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #876 on: June 02, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »

Ok Mr.Hogg the Trumpists will overthrow Trump and let Pelosi be president and let you take away their guns.
Truly a brilliant solution.

He's completely correct in pointing out the hypocrisy here, you know.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #877 on: June 02, 2020, 12:13:07 PM »

Well gee whiz, thanks Senator Sasse!

I will take pointing opposition to evil hypocrisy from almost whatever quarter it comes. Even from a pendant like Ben Sasse.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #878 on: June 02, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »

Monmouth (May 28 - June 1: aka the entire period of unrest and protests):

Given what happened, do you think the actions of the protestors were fully justified, partially justified, or not at all justified?

Fully justified - 17%
Partially justified - 37%
Not at all justified - 38%

Regardless of the actual actions taken, do you think the anger that led to these protests was fully justified, partially justified, or not at all justified?

Fully justified - 57%
Partially justified - 21%
Not at all justified - 18%

Would you say things in the country are going in the right direction, or have they gotten off on the wrong track? (Compared to May)

Right Direction - 21% (-12)
Wrong Direction - 74% (+14)

Source
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #879 on: June 02, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »

Monmouth (May 28 - June 1: aka the entire period of unrest and protests):

Given what happened, do you think the actions of the protestors were fully justified, partially justified, or not at all justified?

Fully justified - 17%
Partially justified - 37%
Not at all justified - 38%

Regardless of the actual actions taken, do you think the anger that led to these protests was fully justified, partially justified, or not at all justified?

Fully justified - 57%
Partially justified - 21%
Not at all justified - 18%

Would you say things in the country are going in the right direction, or have they gotten off on the wrong track? (Compared to May)

Right Direction - 21% (-12)
Wrong Direction - 74% (+14)

Source

Yeah, I don’t know how anyone can claim that this will help Trump.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #880 on: June 02, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »

A real profile in courage now that he won his primary.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #881 on: June 02, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »

Right?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #882 on: June 02, 2020, 12:37:05 PM »

Right?

Tbf, even though I'm not a Sasse fan, he did actually release an ad that was partially critical to Trump in the primary.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #883 on: June 02, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 05:50:52 PM by Mine eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

Atlanta seems to be dealing with this well. This is after they fired two cops earlier.

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #884 on: June 02, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »

I don't know about Minneapolis but generally voters in major cities have voted for the law-and-order candidates when crime issues come-up for mayoral elections and city-wide offices. This is ignoring the power that white-ethnic machines, through police unions have in democratic-party politics, especially at a ward-level, and these voters turnout more than black voters.

Well the current mayor is obviously very weak on crime. He does come from a “white ethnic” background in that he is Jewish. I doubt they have a “machine” in the way you mean or that he has much support from police after this. I thought the Atlanta mayor handled things really well and the Minneapolis mayor is an embarrassment.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #885 on: June 02, 2020, 12:51:55 PM »

I don't know about Minneapolis but generally voters in major cities have voted for the law-and-order candidates when crime issues come-up for mayoral elections and city-wide offices. This is ignoring the power that white-ethnic machines, through police unions have in democratic-party politics, especially at a ward-level, and these voters turnout more than black voters.
Minneapolis doesn't really have voters like that. All the old "white ethnic" neighborhoods have been mostly assimilated and/or gentrified.

The "law and order" voters are probably mostly older voters in the outer neighborhoods, but they don't belong to any type of real voter machine nor do they have strong influence. Like for example virtually no one in Minneapolis is upset about the near zero enforcement of marijuana laws. Frey honestly might've been the most pro-"law and order" candidate in the last mayoral election since he called for hiring more police (with somewhat woke reasoning, he claimed this would allow police to have a more personal relationship with the communities they patrol and reduce abuses.) and the aforementioned people still hate him because of his anti-NIMBY Minneapolis 2040 plan.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #886 on: June 02, 2020, 12:57:36 PM »

Wow, George Floyd’s family invited Joe Biden to the funeral.

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #887 on: June 02, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »

All I know in NYC it is near impossible to reduce the power of the NYPD police union, and DeBlasio is basically controlled by them. In LA+houston police unions donate to candidate, including to progressive ones and there is a strong injury to one is an injury to all mentality that prevents action on bad cops in LA and NYC
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #888 on: June 02, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »

All I know in NYC it is near impossible to reduce the power of the NYPD police union, and DeBlasio is basically controlled by them. In LA+houston police unions donate to candidate, including to progressive ones and there is a strong injury to one is an injury to all mentality that prevents action on bad cops in LA and NYC
I'm not familiar with the Minneapolis police union's campaign contributions but the backlash against Bob Kroll at this point is probably enough for it to be the kiss of death.

Of course Kroll has said he's retiring at the end of his current term, which is in 2021, same year as the next municipal elections. But people aren't going to forgive them immediately with him gone.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #889 on: June 02, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »

I wanna see some polls concerning Trump's whole church fiasco yesterday. His vow to send the military into states in spite of them not consenting to it. The bible picture. The tear gassing of protesters (and clergy). All of it.

A morning consult poll came out today which showed large support for cities calling in the national guard, but that's different than what Trump vowed to do and I hope pollsters make sure they ask new questions reflecting that.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #890 on: June 02, 2020, 01:43:14 PM »

Just a slice of how this all looks to the world:
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #891 on: June 02, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »

A poll should also ask about how Americans feel about the police's treatment of the press.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #892 on: June 02, 2020, 03:46:04 PM »

To be fair, the media really needs to stop putting their employees in dangerous situations and get them to stand farther back (several city blocks) for their own safety.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #893 on: June 02, 2020, 03:55:12 PM »

To be fair, the media really needs to stop putting their employees in dangerous situations and get them to stand farther back (several city blocks) for their own safety.
This is what journalists do, and it is the line of work they chose.
 That’s why I see journalists for major news outlets as major FFs for risking their lives to give the full story.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #894 on: June 02, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »

Hours after Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington characterized Trump's recent actions as "antithetical to the teachings of Jesus", he's now also drawing flak from Catholic Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory:

President Trump drew fresh criticism from religious leaders on Tuesday when he and first lady Melania Trump visited a shrine to Pope John Paul II in Washington, D.C.

The trip to to the Saint John Paul II National Shrine drew a sharp response from Washington Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory, who said, "I find it baffling and reprehensible that any Catholic facility would allow itself to be so egregiously misused and manipulated in a fashion that violates our religious principles."

Gregory said in a statement that John Paul II was a defender of the dignity of human beings who "certainly would not condone the use of tear gas and other deterrents to silence, scatter or intimidate them for a photo opportunity in front of a place of worship and peace."

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/868188511/catholic-archbishop-criticizes-trumps-visit-to-st-john-paul-ii-shrine?t=1591131034353
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #895 on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:04 PM »

Yes, put them far enough back then neither they, nor through the camera lens can anyone else in America, see what's going on. Kind of defeats the purpose, no?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #896 on: June 02, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »

Mayor Bottoms is not playing around. Gotta love her.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #897 on: June 02, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 04:11:32 PM by Meclazine »

Exactly. 10/10.

You think CNN and FOXNews are stupid. Channel 7 from Australia are deliberately sending in media to the protests for one simple reason. To get ratings.

Now you can see what the Australian media are like. Mostly supermodels with an IQ of 40. Channel 9 will start doing it now. We call it "infotainment". It's not news.

Most of the news was about that. Not about the incident. Not about the riots. But media about media stunts gone wrong. I turned it off straight away.

The media has distorted this out of control on both sides.

Polk County Sherriff discusses the issue of community safety:

https://youtu.be/kQF2SFz0A0I

The media only broadcasts the most extreme situations so people need to filter that through when watching the news.

This is why I like PBS Newshour. Much more realistic view of the world.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #898 on: June 02, 2020, 04:12:17 PM »

Hours after Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington characterized Trump's recent actions as "antithetical to the teachings of Jesus", he's now also drawing flak from Catholic Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory:

President Trump drew fresh criticism from religious leaders on Tuesday when he and first lady Melania Trump visited a shrine to Pope John Paul II in Washington, D.C.

The trip to to the Saint John Paul II National Shrine drew a sharp response from Washington Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory, who said, "I find it baffling and reprehensible that any Catholic facility would allow itself to be so egregiously misused and manipulated in a fashion that violates our religious principles."

Gregory said in a statement that John Paul II was a defender of the dignity of human beings who "certainly would not condone the use of tear gas and other deterrents to silence, scatter or intimidate them for a photo opportunity in front of a place of worship and peace."

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/02/868188511/catholic-archbishop-criticizes-trumps-visit-to-st-john-paul-ii-shrine?t=1591131034353

Gregory is a black, you see.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #899 on: June 02, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »

Gregory is a black, you see.

It's weird to see the Catholics and Protestants united
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies