Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:57:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Author Topic: Voting rights bills and lawsuits megathread (Updated: April 27th 2020)  (Read 184267 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 19, 2018, 02:51:11 AM »

ETA: The judge also ordered Kobach to take some legal classes!  That's hilarious.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

hahahahahaha wow Cheesy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #551 on: June 19, 2018, 01:15:44 PM »

ETA: The judge also ordered Kobach to take some legal classes!  That's hilarious.

hahahahahaha wow Cheesy

Freedom Ruling!
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #552 on: June 19, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »

hahahahahaha wow Cheesy

Freedom Ruling!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #553 on: June 19, 2018, 01:17:00 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #554 on: June 19, 2018, 08:51:29 PM »

The ultimate punishment for a Republican: EDUCATION!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #555 on: June 20, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »

More on that Kansas voter ID law:

"Immediately" is open to interpretation?  Seriously?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #556 on: June 20, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »

More on that Kansas voter ID law:

"Immediately" is open to interpretation?  Seriously?

When a federal judge is speaking, the word “immediately” means “today, the split second my ruling has been issued.”

She should really hold Kobach in contempt of court.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #557 on: June 27, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #558 on: June 27, 2018, 08:06:51 PM »

Some much needed good news.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #559 on: June 28, 2018, 04:19:14 PM »

Some much needed good news.

Who cares? Justice Sean Hannity will write the SCOTUS opinion that finds AVR unconstitutional soon enough anyway.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #560 on: June 28, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »

Good to hear, although still kind of annoying that MA Democrats had to have their arms twisted in order to get this.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #561 on: July 09, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #562 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »

Nice!
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #563 on: July 09, 2018, 11:55:37 AM »

Can't think of anywhere else to put this so I'll ask here: are any of you worried that Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission might get struck down by the new SCOTUS, which would make the MI initiative illegal?

I am, considering Roberts went on a rage fit in his dissent on that case and there's no way Gorsuch or whoever Trump's new nominee is would uphold it.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #564 on: July 09, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »

Can't think of anywhere else to put this so I'll ask here: are any of you worried that Arizona State Legislature v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission might get struck down by the new SCOTUS, which would make the MI initiative illegal?

I am, considering Roberts went on a rage fit in his dissent on that case and there's no way Gorsuch or whoever Trump's new nominee is would uphold it.

Oh I'm sure they'll get rid of independent commissions soon. In that case, Congress could pass a federal law outlawing gerrymandering for House districts. Assuming Dems somehow get 60 votes sometime around or after 2020, they should immediately pass a new and more thorough voting rights act.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #565 on: July 09, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »

No, because it would also make the California commission illegal. It's much easier to point out that the Arizona commission was heavily biased against the GOP by systematically under populating the Democrat seats.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #566 on: July 12, 2018, 12:56:53 PM »

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #567 on: July 13, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »

http://www.wmur.com/article/split-court-says-voter-residency-bill-is-constitutional/22128916

This is NH specific. State Supreme Court says a bill that basically disenfranchises college students in the state is constitutional, even though the state constitution says voting rights are guaranteed for "inhabitants", not residents.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: July 13, 2018, 01:31:14 PM »

http://www.wmur.com/article/split-court-says-voter-residency-bill-is-constitutional/22128916

This is NH specific. State Supreme Court says a bill that basically disenfranchises college students in the state is constitutional, even though the state constitution says voting rights are guaranteed for "inhabitants", not residents.

Almost at the end of a long road Sununu and NH Republicans started down literally as soon as they gained control of the entire state government.

I think it says something about the Governor when his first priority upon taking office was restricting voting for students and "non-residents," when in fact there is no evidence of massive voter fraud that they can't seem to stop whining about. Every election cycle, it's the same thing, "buses of voters" from Massachusetts, and yet, after all this time, they can't seem to find evidence that this is actually happening. These are grown adults literally just making things up as if they were kids day dreaming.

Obviously this is all a ploy to try and lock in power, but there exists a uncomfortably large segment of people who actually believe their elections are victims of large amounts of fraud, despite no proof of it whatsoever.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #569 on: July 13, 2018, 02:17:29 PM »

Almost at the end of a long road Sununu and NH Republicans started down literally as soon as they gained control of the entire state government.

I think it says something about the Governor when his first priority upon taking office was restricting voting for students and "non-residents," when in fact there is no evidence of massive voter fraud that they can't seem to stop whining about. Every election cycle, it's the same thing, "buses of voters" from Massachusetts, and yet, after all this time, they can't seem to find evidence that this is actually happening. These are grown adults literally just making things up as if they were kids day dreaming.

Obviously this is all a ploy to try and lock in power, but there exists a uncomfortably large segment of people who actually believe their elections are victims of large amounts of fraud, despite no proof of it whatsoever.

Ah yes, those busloads from Massachusetts claims.  From a recent WMUR article: Exhaustive investigation reveals little evidence of possible voter fraud in NH:

BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #570 on: July 15, 2018, 12:31:28 AM »

On one hand, we know exactly why Republicans want to prevent out of state college students from voting. But they do have a point. No other state gives out-of-state residents as much freedom when voting locally as New Hampshire does. And when you take into account both Trump and Ayote losing by very tiny margins, why wouldn't NH republicans push for this?

As long as NH college students have the option to vote absentee like everybody else, the outrage from democrats seems a tad disingenuous.

Edit: Also, interesting a democrat on the NH Supreme Court sided with the two republicans.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #571 on: July 15, 2018, 12:51:47 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2018, 01:04:02 AM by Virginia »

On one hand, we know exactly why Republicans want to prevent out of state college students from voting. But they do have a point. No other state gives out-of-state residents as much freedom when voting locally as New Hampshire does. And when you take into account both Trump and Ayote losing by very tiny margins, why wouldn't NH republicans push for this?

As long as NH college students have the option to vote absentee like everybody else, the outrage from democrats seems a tad disingenuous.

Edit: Also, interesting a democrat on the NH Supreme Court sided with the two republicans.

I mean, they were even mulling getting rid of election day registration, which they've had for a while now, but they didn't because then they would lose their exception to the NVRA. All of this was about Republicans losing two closes races and seeking to flex their legislative muscle to restrict as many Democratic-leaning voters as possible from voting in future elections. That's all it ever is with Republicans. They cry about non-existent fraud and then use the resulting lack of trust they are responsible for to justify voter suppression disguised as "restoring integrity." It all makes me utterly sick to my stomach. This country needs to standardize voting regulations and be done with it. States have discredited themselves as responsible stewards of elections. Some Republican-run states can't even be trusted to offer reasonable early voting sites (re: Indiana and North Carolina), which is something painfully basic.

And Sununu does this all with his sh**t-eating grin on his face, pretending to be reasonable, telling students he doesn't want to keep them from voting, then signing bill after bill designed to reduce their electoral clout. And no doubt Democrats, whenever they take back power, will be true to form and do little to nothing to protect the state from voter suppression schemes in the future. I think only Illinois has passed a constitutional amendment explicitly protecting the right to vote.

edit: Also, I don't understand what the beef these people have with students is about. Students spend more time in NH than not, and going off to college is generally considered leaving the nest for many students, so at least for 4 years or so, that is their home. And don't quote me on it, but iirc, courts have already ruled that students cannot be banned from voting in the state they go to school in, so their enrollment in a college in New Hampshire should be enough.

Republicans are just trying to change the rules to boost their odds in elections, plain and simple.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #572 on: July 15, 2018, 06:44:35 AM »

I mean, they were even mulling getting rid of election day registration, which they've had for a while now, but they didn't because then they would lose their exception to the NVRA. All of this was about Republicans losing two closes races and seeking to flex their legislative muscle to restrict as many Democratic-leaning voters as possible from voting in future elections. That's all it ever is with Republicans. They cry about non-existent fraud and then use the resulting lack of trust they are responsible for to justify voter suppression disguised as "restoring integrity." It all makes me utterly sick to my stomach. This country needs to standardize voting regulations and be done with it. States have discredited themselves as responsible stewards of elections. Some Republican-run states can't even be trusted to offer reasonable early voting sites (re: Indiana and North Carolina), which is something painfully basic.

And Sununu does this all with his sh**t-eating grin on his face, pretending to be reasonable, telling students he doesn't want to keep them from voting, then signing bill after bill designed to reduce their electoral clout. And no doubt Democrats, whenever they take back power, will be true to form and do little to nothing to protect the state from voter suppression schemes in the future. I think only Illinois has passed a constitutional amendment explicitly protecting the right to vote.

edit: Also, I don't understand what the beef these people have with students is about. Students spend more time in NH than not, and going off to college is generally considered leaving the nest for many students, so at least for 4 years or so, that is their home. And don't quote me on it, but iirc, courts have already ruled that students cannot be banned from voting in the state they go to school in, so their enrollment in a college in New Hampshire should be enough.

Republicans are just trying to change the rules to boost their odds in elections, plain and simple.

Yes, this was upheld by the Supreme Court in Symm v. United States, 1979.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »

So that begs the question, why is New Hampshire the only state college students can vote in local elections without jumping through hurdles?

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #574 on: July 15, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »

So that begs the question, why is New Hampshire the only state college students can vote in local elections without jumping through hurdles?

*raises the question
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies