DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:22:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40663 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: January 30, 2021, 08:20:40 AM »

If DC statehood happens , then Georgia gets Maine ruled , then other things happen .

Why would those things be connected? If Georgia Republicans think that "Maine-ruling" Georgia is in their best interest, they'll do it.

It’s called both sides using this as leverage against each other to make sure the other thing doesn’t happen .

Again, they're totally unconnected. If enough Republicans in Georgia want to do that, they will, regardless of what happened to DC statehood.

And even if they did, they're still not equivalent. DC statehood is a moral imperative, and opposing it is literally the same thing as supporting Jim Crow, since it's about people being subject to the rules of the federal government but having no say in that federal government.

Georgia adopting a rule that 2 states already use isn't as big of a deal. Yes, the idea that a state could gerrymander electoral college votes isn't great, but it's not even clear how much that would hurt Democrats going forward. They're just not equivalencies.

The better threat would be "Democrats better not admit DC or Republicans will admit Guam in retaliation!!" Except Democrats would do that on their own anyway if Guam requested it, because we actually believe in American principles and making people's lives better, instead of just seeing politics as a zero-sum game.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #351 on: January 30, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2021, 09:12:02 AM by MillennialMarkey »

I’ve heard talk that passing the stimulous even with just Dem votes might not happen until as late as MARCH?!? The fact things are moving so slow on something like that... tells me that it’s clearly evident neither statehood is happening. It just isn’t.

The Lahey health scare should have been a giant wake up call. But clearly everything is moving at a snails pace. And before someone tells me that’s how legislating works: they rammed through a Supreme Court justice in about two seconds. So they could do it if they wanted too.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #352 on: January 30, 2021, 09:10:08 AM »

Self-government is as important a goal for DC residents as Senate representation.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #353 on: January 30, 2021, 09:29:29 AM »

I’ve heard talk that passing the stimulous even with just Dem votes might not happen until
As late as MARCH?!? The fact things are moving so slow on something like that... Tells me that it’s clearly evident neither statehood is happening. It just isn’t.

The Lahey health scare should have been a giant wake up call. But clearly everything is moving at a snails pace. And before someone tells me that’s how legislating works: they rammed through a Supreme Court justice in about two seconds. So they could do it if they wanted too.

I don't make any claims to know what will happen, but the fact that you've been proven wrong so many times while 100% confident yet still persist in speaking as if you know anything with certainty is mesmerizing.

Well I’ve put my money where my mouth is, again.

I’d be willing to change that to a 4 to 1 odds bet.

Would love to be wrong as I think this should be second highest priority for Dems
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »

I’ve heard talk that passing the stimulous even with just Dem votes might not happen until
As late as MARCH?!? The fact things are moving so slow on something like that... Tells me that it’s clearly evident neither statehood is happening. It just isn’t.

I don't make any claims to know what will happen, but the fact that you've been proven wrong so many times while 100% confident yet still persist in speaking as if you know anything with certainty is mesmerizing.

Well I’ve put my money where my mouth is, again.

I’d be willing to change that to a 4 to 1 odds bet.

Would love to be wrong as I think this should be second highest priority for Dems

Did you ever pay that other poster?

Like I said, I’m not stating my belief in any outcome. Just observing that your confidence in outcomes is not very self aware.

Yes I did. There is a thread about it in the Forum Community
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=424840.0

And I was dead wrong about Georgia; twice in fact. And I was also wrong about Nevada’s Senate race in ‘18.

However I’ve been right about some things most didn’t see coming, one notable example: despite initial confidence at his victory, I was the first to call that JK3 was going to lose before any poll showed him down. Of course that was not a prediction I was happy to make but it was obvious on the ground that the liberal latte demographic was fired up in this state and motivated in ways that the traditional Dems were not at that time

The point is: every day it’s seeming more apparent I won’t be wrong about this subject and this is one I really really want because of its future implications.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2021, 01:01:02 PM »

I’ve heard talk that passing the stimulous even with just Dem votes might not happen until as late as MARCH?!? The fact things are moving so slow on something like that... tells me that it’s clearly evident neither statehood is happening. It just isn’t.

There's literally not been a single setback in the push for DC statehood. Calm the f*** down.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2021, 01:10:31 PM »

If DC statehood happens , then Georgia gets Maine ruled , then other things happen .

Why would those things be connected? If Georgia Republicans think that "Maine-ruling" Georgia is in their best interest, they'll do it.

It’s called both sides using this as leverage against each other to make sure the other thing doesn’t happen .

Have you ever heard about this crazy notion of just doing the right thing?

The right thing is making sure neither thing happen
The right thing is to combine both Dakotas, and WY+MT+ID
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2021, 01:53:43 PM »

This thread is an absolute battle between optimists and the doomers.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2021, 01:56:13 PM »

No, I'm very much gonna tell you that that's how legislating works, because it is, given that reconciliation isn't exactly a process which can just be rammed through in "2 seconds" (which was actually 39 days, for scale): first a budget resolution has to be written-up (which is what's happening as we speak) & then pass in both chambers, then the reconciliation bill itself has to be written-up & passed in both chambers, but before the Senate can do their part in passing it, they're obligated to hold a time-consuming amendment vote-a-rama, during which literally hundreds of amendments have to be voted on. Getting the COVID stimulus passed through the reconciliation process was always gonna be a time-consuming process. It took 6 months for the GOP to try & use the reconciliation process to repeal Obamacare (which failed), & then another 6 months to successfully use it to get their tax cuts. The fact that the Democrats will get it done this time in just ~70 days (as compared to ACB having been confirmed in 39, which you equate to "2 seconds") is a testament to how fast things are moving. If ACB was confirmed in "2 seconds," then this stimulus is being passed in 3.5.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »

Prediction: They put DC statehood into the COVID relief reconciliation bill. A few Republicans vote for it (Murkowski, Romney, maybe Collins), giving Democrats cover when Republicans claim the admission of DC was "partisan." Also, a whole bunch of Republicans vote no, making terrible optics for voting against COVID relief.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #360 on: January 30, 2021, 02:20:29 PM »

Prediction: They put DC statehood into the COVID relief reconciliation bill. A few Republicans vote for it (Murkowski, Romney, maybe Collins), giving Democrats cover when Republicans claim the admission of DC was "partisan." Also, a whole bunch of Republicans vote no, making terrible optics for voting against COVID relief.

Are you high?

For one you can’t put DC Statehood into a reconciliation vote.

For two, no way in HELL are they getting 3 Republican votes on a $1.9T bill OR Statehood (You might get Murkowski on Statehood by itself but not this way; and Romney already said you wouldn’t see a single Republican vote on $1.9T)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2021, 02:21:30 PM »

No, I'm very much gonna tell you that that's how legislating works, because it is, given that reconciliation isn't exactly a process which can just be rammed through in "2 seconds" (which was actually 39 days, for scale): first a budget resolution has to be written-up (which is what's happening as we speak) & then pass in both chambers, then the reconciliation bill itself has to be written-up & passed in both chambers, but before the Senate can do their part in passing it, they're obligated to hold a time-consuming amendment vote-a-rama, during which literally hundreds of amendments have to be voted on. Getting the COVID stimulus passed through the reconciliation process was always gonna be a time-consuming process. It took 6 months for the GOP to try & use the reconciliation process to repeal Obamacare (which failed), & then another 6 months to successfully use it to get their tax cuts. The fact that the Democrats will get it done this time in just ~70 days (as compared to ACB having been confirmed in 39, which you equate to "2 seconds") is a testament to how fast things are moving. If ACB was confirmed in "2 seconds," then this stimulus is being passed in 3.5.

Didn’t realize they had to go through a ridiculous amount of votes such as that. Just seems that time moves slow on things that matter and on GOP wish lists it just breezes through
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2021, 02:26:40 PM »

Didn’t realize they had to go through a ridiculous amount of votes such as that. Just seems that time moves slow on things that matter and on GOP wish lists it just breezes through

Um what things on the GOP list broze through:

- they failed at healthcare reform

- they took almost a whole year to get tax reform passed even though they had begun working on it in Jan of 2016

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2021, 02:26:58 PM »

It took 6 months for the GOP to try & use the reconciliation process to repeal Obamacare (which failed), & then another 6 months to successfully use it to get their tax cuts.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »

Are you high?

For two, no way in HELL are they getting 3 Republican votes on a $1.9T bill OR Statehood (You might get Murkowski on Statehood by itself but not this way; and Romney already said you wouldn’t see a single Republican vote on $1.9T)

It's been extensively discussed that you probably can put it through reconciliation since Congress controls the DC budget.

But even if you can't, you can overrule the Senate parliamentarian with 50 votes, so if all 50 Democrats are committed to DC statehood (which they appear to be), there are many different paths to enacting it, none of which Republicans can stop.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »

Self-government is as important a goal for DC residents as Senate representation.

Yes and the National Guard incident allows that to be the main focus rather than the political side of things.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2021, 02:59:38 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2021, 03:42:09 PM by Remember the Capitol »

This thread in a nutshell:

Peak Harry/Brucejoel/Badger: We must pass DC statehood, it’s a matter of equal representation! We would tooootally want to admit a GOP territory if they were underrepresented! This is certainly not about the Democratic senators we have said we wanted, no sireee!”

OSR: “The right thing to do is 100% to leave hundreds of thousands of tax paying Americans unrepresented because I want to keep the Reagan/Trump-cultists in power. Also can we find a way to keep those scary brown people in Georgia from voting, that would be great...

MillenialModerate: “Oh my god it’s been two days and DC isn’t a state yet with two senators. This is proof Schumer sucks and I am so ANGRY! The Democrats should have passed DC statehood five milliseconds after they took the majority, screw you Schumer and Markey! Kennedy would have passed it by now.”

OC: “Hahahaha Progmod told me Schumer pass DC statehood, but he was wrong just like about Georgia. Schumer doesn’t have votes to break filibuster and reconciliation, DC statehood won’t happen until 2023 when Democrats will win in a landslide because of recovering economy and get a filibuster proof MAJORITY 😎😎😎”

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2021, 03:01:09 PM »

Peak Harry/Brucejoel/Badger: We must pass DC statehood, it’s a matter of equal representation! We would tooootally want to admit a GOP territory if they were underrepresented! This is certainly not about the Democratic senators we have said we wanted, no sireee!”

OSR: “The right thing to do is 100% to leave hundreds of thousands of tax paying Americans I represented because I want to keep the Reagan/Trump-cultists in power. Also can we find a way to keep those scary brown people in Georgia from voting, that would be great...

MillenialModerate: “Oh my god it’s been two days and DC isn’t a state yet with two senators. This is proof Schumer sucks and I am so ANGRY!”

OC: “Hahahaha Progmod told me Schumer pass DC statehood, but he was wrong just like about Georgia. Schumer doesn’t have votes to break filibuster and reconciliation, DC statehood won’t happen until 2023 when Democrats will win in a landslide because of recovering economy and get a filibuster proof MAJORITY 😎😎😎”

You know thats not what I said
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2021, 03:02:56 PM »

OSR: “The right thing to do is 100% to leave hundreds of thousands of tax paying Americans I represented because I want to keep the Reagan/Trump-cultists in power. Also can we find a way to keep those scary brown people in Georgia from voting, that would be great...

MillenialModerate: “Oh my god it’s been two days and DC isn’t a state yet with two senators. This is proof Schumer sucks and I am so ANGRY!”

OSR Part 2: “Pffft, you know I never SAID we should keep 700k people from getting proper representation! I just implied it! And please daddy Kemp, purge those scary ppl already I am starting to clutch pearls.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2021, 03:05:01 PM »

Does anyone else think Douglass Commonwealth sounds forced?  I'm fine with Douglass or even Commonwealth of Douglass but the current thing just doesn't sound great to my ears.  Of course, I'd support DC statehood no matter what they decided to call it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »

OSR Part 2: “Pffft, you know I never SAID we should keep 700k people from getting proper representation! I just implied it! And please daddy Kemp, purge those scary ppl already I am starting to clutch pearls.

Congrats for joining R.P McM on my ignore list
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2021, 03:07:12 PM »

OSR is just blue avatar S019 confirmed.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »

I apologize if that was discussed some pages back, but how would House members be assigned from the newly state of DC? If I'm not mistaken, the House size 435 seats per law, so they would have to take seats from other states right after the 2020 Census redistricting. Or would the House just be expanded by a seat?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2021, 03:10:58 PM »

Are you high?

It's been extensively discussed that you probably can put it through reconciliation since Congress controls the DC budget.

But even if you can't, you can overrule the Senate parliamentarian with 50 votes, so if all 50 Democrats are committed to DC statehood (which they appear to be), there are many different paths to enacting it, none of which Republicans can stop.

If this is true, it’s criminal negligence by Dems if it’s not at least attempted

Not holding my breath
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2021, 03:13:59 PM »

Don't project your hackery onto others.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies