Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69133 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: February 10, 2019, 06:18:30 PM »

Am I right in suggesting that the Democrats in Virginia haven't thought this whole thing through?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1276 on: February 10, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »

are we even sure thats Northam in the blackface picture...for one, Northam is white and the guy in the picture is black
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1277 on: February 10, 2019, 06:35:53 PM »

Am I right in suggesting that the Democrats in Virginia haven't thought this whole thing through?

Nope
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1278 on: February 10, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »

It looks very bad and its not going to play well with the black community, especially having a white guy leading the charge. Better to push for a formal investigation by the state police.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1279 on: February 10, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »

Considering Fairfax is asking for an FBI investigation, I really am not so sure the allegations are correct.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1280 on: February 10, 2019, 09:02:48 PM »

Nope
Fairfax is calling for an investigation. Is he not entitled to that before he's railroaded out of his job?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1281 on: February 10, 2019, 09:12:14 PM »

I can’t believe they’re actually going for impeachment. At this point the VA Democratic Party is just using Fairfax as a convenient punching bag to throw under the bus. Why can’t we just circle the wagons and unify around the message that the allegations are false and move on? That is the only logical thing to do that allows us to guarantee we won’t lose any of the statewide offices.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1282 on: February 10, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2019, 09:52:02 PM by Oryxslayer »

I can’t believe they’re actually going for impeachment. At this point the VA Democratic Party is just using Fairfax as a convenient punching bag to throw under the bus. Why can’t we just circle the wagons and unify around the message that the allegations are false and move on? That is the only logical thing to do that allows us to guarantee we won’t lose any of the statewide offices.

The GCB in VA is D+8, right now in the middle of scandal. Do you really think that if Fairfax is ousted, a female and/or POC gets appointed, she would lose in Blue VA? With that GCB? With who the VAGOP has to offer?

It's sad that the the only people the state GOP have who have a profile large enough to potentially win are 'Gimmi millions and I'll lose by 13' Comstock, 'found a way to lose to Stewart despite teacking right' Freitas, and 'won my seat in a coin toss but I'm still moderate' Yancey. And they all still could lose, since we now know that the Stewart, Vogel, and other 'Southern' oriented types have full control of the state GOP primary.

It even gets better if Northam has to go in the future, with his taint gone said person ascends and then a second appointment is made, and that one is confirmed by special. The only way someone ascends and reps have a 100% chance of a pickup is if that person is Herring, and right now he doesn't look to be going anywhere.

Also you are this close to going on my ignore list...
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1283 on: February 10, 2019, 09:39:30 PM »

I do believe that impeachment proceedings is going way too far, especially considering this isnt like Kavanaugh. With him, his confirmation was in literal days, and so everything had to be rushed, including a proper investigation. With Fairfax, we can take our time to investigate. There is no urgent pressure, and there is not some sort of negative to keeping him on for the 2019 elections(the only reason I can think of for forcing him out now). If Fairfax doesnt want to be investigated as a Private Citizen, fine, but there must be an in-depth investigation to either exonerate or condemn him.

Also, Wolverine, please cut it out. We dont know if the allegations are fake or real, and they should be treated as reputable until the investigation closes.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1284 on: February 10, 2019, 09:59:27 PM »

Nope
Fairfax is calling for an investigation. Is he not entitled to that before he's railroaded out of his job?

Impeachment proceedings are an investigation though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1285 on: February 10, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »

Nope

This , impeachment does not result in someone getting removed from office , only a conviction in a Senate trial does that. Impeachment proceeding are basically the political equivalent to the Grand Jury.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1286 on: February 10, 2019, 10:06:13 PM »

My God what a thoroughly sickening person you are.

Just f**k off to the Republicans already, that's where all rape apologists belong.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1287 on: February 10, 2019, 10:42:34 PM »

Northam getting a lot of criticism for this from people who don't know history.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1288 on: February 10, 2019, 10:55:23 PM »

I owe you all an apology. I’m sorry for putting politics ahead of morals. I can’t reconcile my childhood experiences with dismissing their allegations. I’m sorry.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1289 on: February 10, 2019, 11:43:04 PM »

Nope

I thought he was asking for an impartial investigation from an apolitical body. This guy was basically telling him to get the hell out of the way before he filed impeachment papers. His mind is already made up. Not very impartial to me.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1290 on: February 11, 2019, 12:20:43 AM »

Nope

I thought he was asking for an impartial investigation from an apolitical body. This guy was basically telling him to get the hell out of the way before he filed impeachment papers. His mind is already made up. Not very impartial to me.

Well him filing the motion to impeach is like a prosecutor filing a motion to get an indictment, it’s just the first step of the process. He must provide evidence to the grand jury (the VA House) to justify indictment for his charges and that would mean the witnesses having to testify in front of them to confirm their corroborations.

I would say the House of delegates can ask an impartial attorney to question the witnesses for them and if the corroborations are unable to be confirmed then the impeachment motion will fail .
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1291 on: February 11, 2019, 04:42:08 AM »

Nope

There is nothing to be "impartial" about. Fairfax needs to go, period.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1292 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:11 AM »

Apparently the VA BLC is shooting down impeachment proceedings for now.
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1094966537415475201
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1293 on: February 11, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »

The rest of the Democratic Caucus should call their bluff.  And if keeping a likely rapist in office as long as possible really is the hill the VA BLC wants to die on, then they should be forced to do so in full view of the general public.  Also Patrick Hope is a coward.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1294 on: February 11, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »

The rest of the Democratic Caucus should call their bluff.  And if keeping a likely rapist in office as long as possible really is the hill the VA BLC wants to die on, then they should be forced to do so in full view of the general public.  Also Patrick Hope is a coward.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #1295 on: February 11, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1296 on: February 11, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »

The rest of the Democratic Caucus should call their bluff.  And if keeping a likely rapist in office as long as possible really is the hill the VA BLC wants to die on, then they should be forced to do so in full view of the general public.  Also Patrick Hope is a coward.
The VA BLC has already called for Fairfax to resign.

I guess they don't feel that he should be impeached without the accusations being 100% corroborated.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1297 on: February 11, 2019, 12:26:41 PM »

Every Democratic legislator needs to sign off to this immediately.

No
Democrats should refuse to allow any of their own to be taken down by sexual harassment issues until Republicans force Kavanaugh out.

So basically just legalize sexual assault then because that's never going to happen. This is completely stupid because for one it tells victims they're only worth hearing once the abusers personally take responsibility, and second the Dems have zero interest in being different from the GOP.
People getting forced out of politics as the Me Too movement goes on has to happen like a queue.

First in with a reputable accusation against them; First out of public office as a consequence.

Currently, this queue is stuck with Kavanaugh at front. Before we can get any further within the queue than that, he needs to go.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1298 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1299 on: February 11, 2019, 12:44:48 PM »

Good. And good for the BLC for slowing this down. Democrats need to calm down worried about what Republicans think about them. If he did it and the women and their stories are credible this will be established through an apolitical investigation.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies