UK Election 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:02:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71
Author Topic: UK Election 2010  (Read 253629 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: May 04, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »

We're having a mock election in school on Thursday and it's actually hilarious (and saddening?) at how much support the Lib Dems have, yet hardly any of their supporters know what they stand for. Tongue

Acting like that is a phenomenon specifically for the LibDems is disingenuous. (And acting like people support the LibDems because Nick Clegg looks and sounds nice is just plain patronizing.)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1651 on: May 04, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »

(And acting like people support the LibDems because Nick Clegg looks and sounds nice is just plain patronizing.)

I wouldn's say that about all Lib Dems or even a majority....but can you think of any other reason for the sudden surge that never would have happened without the TV debates?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1652 on: May 04, 2010, 03:05:03 PM »

We're having a mock election in school on Thursday and it's actually hilarious (and saddening?) at how much support the Lib Dems have, yet hardly any of their supporters know what they stand for. Tongue

Acting like that is a phenomenon specifically for the LibDems is disingenuous. (And acting like people support the LibDems because Nick Clegg looks and sounds nice is just plain patronizing.)

It's also true.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1653 on: May 04, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »

My mum went to ASDA today, and they had Election 2010 cupcakes on sale. Apparently, they had Labour, Conservative and Green versions on sale....either they had sold out of the Lib Dem version, or there's some conspiracy going on....
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1654 on: May 04, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2010, 03:14:51 PM by freek »

like most varieties of spoken German, in that respect.

Well, I'm almost German (difficult to admit for a Dutchman), born 15 km from the border.

edit: to go ontopic again, here is a link to the interview with Nick Clegg in Dutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XmO-4G9T0E
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1655 on: May 04, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2010, 03:11:53 PM by A Future Fair For All »

My mum went to ASDA today, and they had Election 2010 cupcakes on sale. Apparently, they had Labour, Conservative and Green versions on sale....either they had sold out of the Lib Dem version, or there's some conspiracy going on....

Liberal Democrats are at fault for the obesity epidemic.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1656 on: May 04, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »

Roll Eyes

My mum brought a pack of the Labour version, with the icing shaped as a red rose. Pretty cool. Smiley
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1657 on: May 04, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »

Roll Eyes

My mum brought a pack of the Labour version, with the icing shaped as a red rose. Pretty cool. Smiley

I'd rather get some of those Politicrisps. Tongue http://www.therealcrisps-election.com/
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1658 on: May 04, 2010, 03:20:39 PM »

(And acting like people support the LibDems because Nick Clegg looks and sounds nice is just plain patronizing.)

I wouldn's say that about all Lib Dems or even a majority....but can you think of any other reason for the sudden surge that never would have happened without the TV debates?

Polling has routinely shown Lib Dem "potential" to be very high. About 50% of voters say that they would vote Lib Dem if they thought the Lib Dems had a shot at winning (the polls are usually ambiguous as to whether that means winning locally or nationally).

Yes, there was a substantial shift towards the Lib Dems beginning, actually, shortly before the debate. (ICM's last pre-debate poll had the LDs at 27%.) But it does not seem unreasonable to suggest that this was due to a large portion of that 50% deciding that the Lib Dems could actually win, that their leader might actually become PM, that they were more than a sideshow.

The shift in voting patterns themselves is therefore superficial. However, these same people were not supporting the Lib Dems before for superficial reasons (Clegg won't become PM, Labour-Conservatives is all that matters, etc.) rather than their newfound Lib Dem support being itself superficial. It is certainly no more superficial than most Labour support and much Conservative support.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1659 on: May 04, 2010, 03:31:11 PM »

It's also true.

That's extremely patronizing.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1660 on: May 04, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »

It's also true.

That's extremely patronizing.

Just because it's patronizing, doesn't mean that it's not true.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1661 on: May 04, 2010, 04:29:23 PM »

There is a reasonable chance here that the LibDems will become one of the two major parties in the UK.  If Labour come in second in terms of popular votes, the next election could be basically between the LibDems and Tories.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1662 on: May 04, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »

If Labour come in second in terms of popular votes, the next election could be basically between the LibDems and Tories.

That doesn't make any sense.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1663 on: May 04, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »

If Labour come in second in terms of popular votes, the next election could be basically between the LibDems and Tories.

That doesn't make any sense.

Par for the poster in question.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1664 on: May 04, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYFdXiS-wdM&feature=player_embedded#!

Good Tory election video. It...angers the blood Tongue
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1665 on: May 04, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »

It's interesting that they refer to Labour as "New Labour" in the description and in the video, but not in the title.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1666 on: May 04, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »

Ditto to this video from the LibDems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-j2rfSdao
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1667 on: May 04, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »

YouTube crashed midway through the video. I think my computer was doing me a favor. Tongue
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1668 on: May 04, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »

YouTube crashed midway through the video. I think my computer was doing me a favor. Tongue

Mine did too. Luckily I guessed how the story ended Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1669 on: May 04, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »

The Tory one was pretty strong, imo. The LibDem one was odd...it might make sense if you seen the Tory video they referred to, but no one is going to refrain from voting Tory because they opposed some law in 1909.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1670 on: May 04, 2010, 05:23:07 PM »

The Tory one was pretty strong, imo. The LibDem one was odd...it might make sense if you seen the Tory video they referred to, but no one is going to refrain from voting Tory because they opposed some law in 1909.

Of course, but then no one was going to vote Tory because they supported something back then, either, which was what the Tory video was trying to convince people to do. Perhaps a bit silly, but whatever. What I thought the LD video did well was tie Labour to some of the Conservative problem issues. The Conservative video seemed like it could just as well have been a Lib Dem one.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1671 on: May 04, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »

There is a reasonable chance here that the LibDems will become one of the two major parties in the UK.  If Labour come in second in terms of popular votes, the next election could be basically between the LibDems and Tories.

Thanks for confirming you're a fake poster.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1672 on: May 04, 2010, 05:43:19 PM »

Nearly 10,000 members already. Tongue
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

« Reply #1673 on: May 04, 2010, 05:53:20 PM »

It's interesting that they refer to Labour as "New Labour" in the description and in the video, but not in the title.

Labour under Brown has nothing in common with Blair's New Labour.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1674 on: May 04, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »

Labour under Brown has nothing in common with Blair's New Labour.

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies