Alabama Megathread 3: Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:38:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 3: Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Roy Moore (R)

Doug Jones (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 189

Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 3: Results Thread  (Read 130005 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: December 09, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »

The elitist and derogatory rhetoric you people are taking is the reason this election is even close... Democrats need to wake up and realize that elitism may work in Seattle but it doesn't work in Montgomery....

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/statesub.php?year=2016&fips=1101&f=0&off=0&elect=0
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »

A challenge for y'all tonight:

Convince me that moore will not be akin'd on election night. Convince me that this will not be a missouri 2012 redux.

Because the polls then had it a tossup, and she outperformed by like 14 points.

Why is this different?

Because Missouri is a much more flexible state, even on the federal level(comparatively to Alabama).

Also, a couple polls did show McCaskill winning in a landslide. The best Jones has gotten is a small lead in that Washington Post poll.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »

A challenge for y'all tonight:

Convince me that moore will not be akin'd on election night. Convince me that this will not be a missouri 2012 redux.

Because the polls then had it a tossup, and she outperformed by like 14 points.

Why is this different?

Because Missouri is a much more flexible state, even on the federal level(comparatively to Alabama).

Also, a couple polls did show McCaskill winning in a landslide.

One poll, SurveyUSA.

And SurveyMonkey just showed Jones winning by 8, so. . .

They're a pretty awful pollster. SUSA is far from perfect, but it is established and credible.

Also, Jones is only up that amount if you assume the electorate that turns out on Tuesday gives Trump a net negative approval rating. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 08:34:08 PM »

I'm kinda surprised no one has posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=HjLMAoejW-A

Luntz did a focus group consisting entirely of Roy Moore supporters and the results were...let's go with "interesting."  I'm still pretty sure Jones is gonna win, but Jesus F***ing Christ, there are some really sick people out there, to say the least.

There's a lot of scary stuff here and the whole thing is well worth watching, but these stood out to me in particular (each from different voters and for different reasons):

At 2:48: "40 years ago in Alabama, there's a lotta mommas and daddys that'd be thrilled their 14 year-old was gettin' hit on by a district attorney"

At 4:30: "This man [Moore] has more integrity than you can find in the entire Congress right now.  Don't fall for the George Soros assassination plan!" (because what good is a conspiracy theory without anti-Semitism?)

At 6:29 on why African-Americans don't vote Republican: "Well, in my opinion, they be stupid." (I don't know why, but this one also kinda stood out to me for whatever reason, probably the lack of self-awareness)

Now you know why I have no faith in Alabama voters, and why nobody here should either.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »

If you don't follow the polls board, you've missed that we have a Moore +9 poll from Emerson and a Jones +10 poll from Fox News today. Anyone's guess.

I am extremely ready for this election to be over.

Just try living here.. I can't wait for the constant commercials, phone calls, mail, etc. to stop.

Now you know how those of us in swing states feel, especially when there's multiple competitive races at once. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »

Obama doing a robocall telling voters to reject Roy Moore.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/11/politics/barack-obama-alabama-senate/index.html

Ummmm, I’m hoping this robocall is being confined to the Montgomery CSA and the rest of the black belt.

Lol, Democrats really suck at politics sometimes. Will we be getting Pelosi robocalls next?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »

Ummmm, I’m hoping this robocall is being confined to the Montgomery CSA and the rest of the black belt.

Lol, Democrats really suck at politics sometimes. Will we be getting Pelosi robocalls next?

They have their lists of voters. I guarantee this will only go to African American voters.

I can only hope you're right. They probably should've waited until tomorrow though, so Republicans wouldn't have any time to fearmonger against the Kenyan Mooselum and whip the Racist AL Hicks into a frenzy.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »

They have their lists of voters. I guarantee this will only go to African American voters.

I can only hope you're right. They probably should've waited until tomorrow though, so Republicans wouldn't have any time to fearmonger against the Kenyan Mooselum and whip the Racist AL Hicks into a frenzy.

True, but the Moore campaign is essentially nonexistent. He was in Philadelphia on Saturday for the Army-Navy game!

I'm really glad I don't have any young daughters right now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »

Who would be a strong Republican candidate that could run against Jones in 2020? Bradley Byrne, perhaps?

Well, I doubt any Republican will stand a chance against Moore in the primary, unless he gets expelled. I doubt Jones runs again in 2020 either.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »

When do the other polls promised for today (by Harry Enten, see above) get released?

No idea.  I'm not even sure we know who they're from.  Hopefully at least one will be a high-quality pollster and not some nocturnal aviation company.
One of them is apparently from Change Research not sure who the other one is from.

https://twitter.com/ChangePolls/status/940261663835537409

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Satan (R) over Jesus (D) confirmed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 02:48:37 PM »

Well to be fair, the answer still partially applies under the assumption of a Jones 2017 win. Jones shouldn't even bother with a hypothetical reelection in a Deep South state Trump is going to get (near) 60% in anyways. That'd just be a big waste of money.

Even if he doesn't win reelection, he will force Republicans to spend money there, so no, not running in 2020 would be silly and could help Republicans in other competitive races. You guys already wrote him off this year, so I would think twice before declaring him DOA again.

I doubt there are Republicans who will turn out because of robocalls which are likely confined to Democratic voters. Targeting those is actually the right thing to do, especially in a competitive special election where turnout is hard to gauge.

I doubt I'll get a chance to declare him DOA again. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »

Yeah, and SurveyMonkey's not a bad pollster.

Since when? Most of their 2016 polls were garbage.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »

Is it me or has IceSpear been conspicuously absent from this thread today? Tongue

I'm reading through now, I was at work. Which I'm glad about, because election day threads before the polls close are always the absolute worst, and this one is no exception.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »

How about cooling it with the epithets?  It's just lowering the signal-to-noise ratio in an already crowded thread.

There is no signal in this thread, only noise.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »

They'll probably do so by putting a zero after the 1.

lol, nice.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »

I just panic sold my Moore shares at a profit after Tuscaloosa and Talladega dropped. This...might actually happen. lol
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies