Newsletter Ranting: Honesty, Delivered Brutally [Mad Marokai!]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 03:23:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Newsletter Ranting: Honesty, Delivered Brutally [Mad Marokai!]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31
Author Topic: Newsletter Ranting: Honesty, Delivered Brutally [Mad Marokai!]  (Read 102979 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: January 14, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »

lol, Hamilton era. Just an interesting footnote in Atlasias history like Ogis and many others before him.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #676 on: January 14, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »

lol, Hamilton era. Just an interesting footnote in Atlasias history like Ogis and many others before him.

A footnote? More like an entire volume.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #677 on: January 14, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »

I'm sure it did. Any time you want to come up with something rational, I'll read it.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #678 on: January 15, 2010, 12:48:52 AM »

Hehe, a fun read as always. Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #679 on: January 15, 2010, 03:32:25 AM »

You are right. Threats to the national security don't deserve more than a footnote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #680 on: January 21, 2010, 12:50:21 AM »

I'd just like to state that, while I originally intended to write something for this paper, I've submitted it to Antonio for my responsibilities in writing on his paper. It's something I quite like, so be on the lookout in the coming day or two.

I have, though, a "blast from the past" article planned for the future. Thanks guys!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #681 on: January 21, 2010, 03:10:33 PM »

I'd just like to state that, while I originally intended to write something for this paper, I've submitted it to Antonio for my responsibilities in writing on his paper. It's something I quite like, so be on the lookout in the coming day or two.

Looking forward to it! You have some of the most substantive (and entertaining Tongue) articles right now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #682 on: January 21, 2010, 03:21:29 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2010, 03:23:17 PM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

I'm quite honored you chose the Tribune to publish it, and glad you apreciate it. Smiley If I think right, your article should be published tomorrow.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: February 12, 2010, 11:42:27 PM »

Newsletter Ranting
Telling it like it is. Angrily.

The Candidate of Nothing.
February 12th, 2010

Today, I come to you to announce my candidacy this June for President. I do not enter this race lightly; I understand the importance of the office and I understand the need for a competent and active individual to hold it. During my involvement in Atlasia I've seen that active and involved Presidents can do a lot of good, fostering activity, sparking debate, and spearheading progress. Of course, I've also seen Presidents who did not fulfill the duties of the office, who were content to sit on the sidelines and achieve only the bare minimum that was called for.

While I will unveil more specifics in the coming weeks leading up the election, I will be highlighting  two goals in my campaign that, if I am elected, will guide me in my presidency. First, is greater presidential involvement in the game. While as a former Senator I respect and understand the powers of the Senate, I also believe that the President has an important role in crafting legislation and setting forth a legislative agenda. Through use of the line item veto powers given to the President in the 19th amendment, as well as the simple actions of taking a greater role in Senate debate, the President can play an effective role in the Atlasian government. On this point, I also stress the need for an active and engaged GM, and I promise that if my GM lags in activity or initiative, I will fire him and find a new one.

Second, I feel that it's high time we refocus the topic of debate, both in legislation and in campaigning. For too long we have been focused on the rules and regulations of the game, rather than actually working within them. While I applaud the work that has been done with regards to forum affairs, I see them as largely a means to an end, that end being an engaging government (and with it, campaigning) simulation. Unfortunately, for a long time now, this end has been ignored. By refocusing the debate on real world economic and social issues and by working towards coherent policy, we will make the government side of the game more engaging; we will make campaigns more meaningful, shifting them away from personality contests or party-line votes to votes based on political and ideological issues; and we will spur greater political debate, as Senators and voters are forced to make real decisions.

And so, in May, 2009, Lief kicked off what became his successful campaign to a two-term Administration.

It may be a lengthy excerpt to read, but it's important. It emphasizes the importance Lief places on activity, on debate, on discussing real-life issues and it further emphasizes his eagerness to be a President that involves himself in the legislative process and pushes for policies he holds dear.

"By refocusing the debate" Lief said, "on real world economic and social issues and by working towards coherent policy, we will make the government side of the game more engaging; we will make campaigns more meaningful, shifting them away from personality contests or party-line votes to votes based on political and ideological issues;"

Today, we have a candidate for President that does not understand such words. A candidate who does not understand greater Presidential involvement. A candidate that does not understand furthering issue-centric debate. A candidate that simply does not understand.

SPC is running for President. Thrilling, no? In his announcement teasing a running-mate, he made the following remark:

I hope that we can unite Atlasia and bring change to a nation that has seen 16 months of JCP rule. Thank you.

This is, apparently, all the ticket is based on. This was also pretty much his most comprehensive statement to that date in his campaign thread. In my eagerness to learn the commitment of all the candidate to policy matters and Presidential involvement, I asked each of the three tickets, BK/HW, SPC/Brandon, and Xahar/Al, to make policy proposals or a commitment to policy.

From Bacon King, I got a promise that he will indeed bring forward policy proposals. This isn't an urgent matter, as Bacon King has proved his commitment to legislative involvement, his activity, and some policy matters in his time as Vice President. Bacon King isn't an unknown candidate, and so, I await his response eagerly.

From Xahar, I publicly asked a question, and privately I PMed Xahar asking him if he was committed to various left-wing policy, and that his candidacy, consequently, was simply not an "anti-JCP" ticket. He did indeed promise that he was committed to various left-wing policy, and told me he "would not let me down" if elected.

From SPC, I got the following:

So, will this ticket be putting forth any policy proposals? Or is this ticket "Vote SPC/Brandon, we're not the JCP"?

Consider the request for formal policy proposals as one that comes from my paper.

I will not for two reasons: 1. You have already backed Bacon King without even looking at what our policies were, so it could have no effect on your endorsement, thus it is most likely just an attempt to smear me, and 2. The president doesn't make policy, he just signs/vetos bills and appoints people to the appropriate positions. Thus it would be entirely pointless to list policy proposals since I would have no chance of enacting them.

Yes, you've read correctly. SPC refuses to make policy proposals, and proclaims that the President is basically useless to that end. SPC proposes we make the transition from a two-term Lief Administration that placed activity, rigorous legislative debate, and Presidential involvement in the Senate and beyond, to the SPC Administration, one that proposes nothing, and does nothing, and essentially is nothing.

Never before have I seen a candidate place such high regard for downright policy ignorance in my short time here in Atlasia to the point to where that candidate would outright refuse to propose anything.

What's more frightening is that this sort of ignorance and defense of inactivity is actually rewarded in our current political environment! SPC has an entire political party behind him, cheering on his completely empty do-nothing say-nothing be-nothing candidacy. This is not only stupid, but it's observably and undeniably dangerous.

And before anyone tries to say Lief wasn't involved in legislative affairs, it's just not the case. It's actually something I dealt with before when someone criticized Lief, and then I went quote-mining. Lief also worked privately making policy proposals to various Senators, including myself at the time, and Lief actually wrote about half of the stimulus bill the Senate enacted.

When running for President, one should have a vision for the future, a purpose for running.

The entire point of wanting to be President isn't to 'stick it' to one political party or another, it's not to be a mindless partisan or an empty suit do-nothing, it's to articulate and work for your vision of the future. To be a tireless crusader for one's positions and one's convictions. To shape the country. SPC is the opposite of all of this. He literally refuses dealing with policy, and defends his vision where the President does nothing at all!

SPC is, in effect, the Candidate of Nothing. Vote for him at your peril.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #684 on: February 12, 2010, 11:44:44 PM »

LOL, predictable whine.

SPC did well in not falling for your trap.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2010, 11:48:31 PM »

I do lack perspective, but I wouldn't call Lief's whopping 2 whole legislative efforts in a Senate clearly favoring such efforts and few foreign policy statements active.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: February 12, 2010, 11:49:13 PM »

LOL, predictable whine.

I asked all candidate their policy ideas, and I've done so in every Presidential election I've been active enough to observe. I pressed Lief for policy proposals back in June. (Which he did make, in great detail.)

SPC is a candidate for a party, not a candidate of a vision.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #687 on: February 12, 2010, 11:50:04 PM »

LOL, predictable whine.

I asked all candidate their policy ideas, and I've done so in every Presidential election I've been active enough to observe. I pressed Lief for policy proposals back in June. (Which he did make, in great detail.)

Why would he give his policy ideas to you? Who cares what you think? You were a guaranteed JCP vote anyway.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #688 on: February 12, 2010, 11:50:40 PM »

I do lack perspective, but I wouldn't call Lief's whopping 2 whole legislative efforts in a Senate clearly favoring such efforts and few foreign policy statements active.

He was far more active (more than you suggest) in his first term, I'll grant you. But his second term was mired in college work, to be fair.

LOL, predictable whine.

Why would he give his policy ideas to you? Who cares what you think? You were a guaranteed JCP vote anyway.

Treating me like one assures that I remain one.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #689 on: February 12, 2010, 11:55:58 PM »

There was nothing SPC could have done to ever get your vote.

It may surprise you that I very nearly voted for PiT in June. Had I done so, he would've been elected, and I was so tempted because he reached out to me privately and promised an active vision for the Presidency, he made numerous commitments to changing the game and pleaded his excitement over new ideas. Most importantly though, he tried reaching out, and a little outreach goes a long way.

Had the JCP candidate been anyone else besides Lief in June, PiT would've had my vote.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #690 on: February 12, 2010, 11:58:32 PM »

He was far more active (more than you suggest) in his first term, I'll grant you. But his second term was mired in college work, to be fair.

Was he involved behind the scenes in ways I am not aware of? I do recognize that his first two months in office were very active.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #691 on: February 13, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »

Was he involved behind the scenes in ways I am not aware of? I do recognize that his first two months in office were very active.

He was quite involved with at least a few of us Senators in Private, as far as I was concerned, and often laid out his goals and ideas on how to achieve them. Of course, he didn't do everything, I brokered some of the deals myself, but he was very insistent, and commented in many many legislative debates as I mentioned above.

Also it should be noted that Lief laid out four main policy goals when he ran for office in June. We accomplished all of them, to varying degrees.

SPC didn't just refuse to tell me, specifically, anything. He basically denied any intention of proposing anything at all and said the President was useless at implementing policy.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #692 on: February 13, 2010, 12:15:14 AM »

He was quite involved with at least a few of us Senators in Private, as far as I was concerned, and often laid out his goals and ideas on how to achieve them. Of course, he didn't do everything, I brokered some of the deals myself, but he was very insistent, and commented in many many legislative debates as I mentioned above.

Also it should be noted that Lief laid out four main policy goals when he ran for office in June. We accomplished all of them, to varying degrees.

SPC didn't just refuse to tell me, specifically, anything. He basically denied any intention of proposing anything at all and said the President was useless at implementing policy.

Ok, I see what you mean (though I don't recall any sort of living wage being passed). What I really want to see is frequent use of the bully pulpit, though I guess Lief didn't have to publicly.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #693 on: February 13, 2010, 12:20:38 AM »

Yay, food for the masses.
Katherine Harris is legit
D Parker
United States
« Reply #694 on: February 13, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »

Why so serious?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #695 on: February 13, 2010, 01:41:32 AM »

Marokai, just curious; what do you plan your next description to be about?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #696 on: February 13, 2010, 04:13:20 AM »

As usual, 100% agreed. Wink
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #697 on: February 13, 2010, 08:52:27 AM »

He didn't give policy because it shouldn't be the executive responsibility to.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #698 on: February 13, 2010, 09:05:07 AM »

Fully agreed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #699 on: February 13, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »

May I ask Marokai where is, considering Liefs broad and detailed adjenda, the active Senate that he had in July? He came into off with one of the most active Senates in a long time and now, things seem to have changed ever so slightly?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies