17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:31:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 17 Dead in Florida. GOP does nothing.  (Read 27345 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: February 14, 2018, 04:34:08 PM »

Sickening, seems like something like this happens every other month?
No.  This is number 18 in a month in a half.  That's one about every 3 days plus a few extra.

https://twitter.com/jnarls/status/963884450030477312

Turn your speakers up loud and watch this clip.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:46:29 PM »

News saying the suspect is being taken to a hospital
I say take him to congress and let him go.

How f**ked up is it that I have to think twice about saying that while the same people that make me reticent to say such a thing also make sure the motherf**ker in Florida has a gun.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »

https://twitter.com/jnarls/status/963884450030477312

Once again.  Watch the clip!  You too can enjoy what it's like to be in a school shooting.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:45:25 PM »

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
It's terrible how "normal" these shootings have become. We're being desensitized.

I think it's more the opposite. Although every single one of these makes me both anguished and furious over how easily we could massively reduce such tragedies just by implementing sane requirements on firearms ownership, school shootings (and mass shootings genereally) are a far down the list of preventable things that kill Americans.

Rather, I'd like  to see our society become rational about statistics and probability. I'd also like to see us reject, in the strongest way possible, the media who hype these sorts of crimes for ratings. They're effectively accessories to mass murder, and both corporations and journalists promoting these horrors should be prosecuted as such.

America isn't about rationality, statistics, or probability... it is about belief, ideology, and loyalty.

It's time for an era of rationality, statistics, probabilities, and simple realpolitik.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:01 PM »

A Trumptard....looks like the bloods on Trump but it's honesty on the GOP for not passing gun control after Sandy Hook.

Will you do me a personal favor and shut up

I appreciate the sentiment but any policy has potential downsides, so if we try something we should have some sense that it might actually work.

The problem is that no dialogue is happening whatsoever to even figure out where to go next. Half of us are tweeting "thoughts and prayers" and the other half are tweeting "something should be done". That's not a solution, but it's where the discourse goes to die. There will not be any concrete solution or even so much as a discussion to come out of this.
Tells a guy to shut up out one side of his mouth and bemoans the lack of dialogue out the other...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »

What do we blame this time? Mental health? Video games? Atheism? "Good Guys" not having guns?

I actually oppose overly stringent gun control, but the blame game is ridiculous.
The current straw over at Bullsh**t Mountain is ‘the FBI dropped the ball!’
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »

The Republican party is basically a death cult at this point.  They worship, promote, and celebrate death... in their politics, in their religion, in their hobbies and interests...  with how much they project... no wonder they're always yammerin on about 'pro life"
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:23:13 PM »

We should repeal the 2nd Amendment, seize everyone's guns and do what Australia did. Ordinary people do not need guns.

If they refuse to give up their guns and pose a threat to the army/police they should be labeled as traitors to America and charged with treason, and if they fire their weapons, then all means necessary should be used to stop them.

I cannot begin to tell you how offensive these ideas are.

The millions of lawful, law-abiding gun owners, of which I am one, are not the problem here.  Never have been.  Never will be.  

Denial is a magnificent river, but it is not a magnificent state of mind, Fuzzle.  Your defense of your 2nd amendment rights has led to a proliferation of guns unseen in human history and is resulting in horrific crimes that are occurring at increasing rates with no end in sight.  

Indirect responsibility might not be criminal, but it certainly enables them.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 08:59:52 PM »

We should repeal the 2nd Amendment, seize everyone's guns and do what Australia did. Ordinary people do not need guns.

If they refuse to give up their guns and pose a threat to the army/police they should be labeled as traitors to America and charged with treason, and if they fire their weapons, then all means necessary should be used to stop them.

I cannot begin to tell you how offensive these ideas are.

The millions of lawful, law-abiding gun owners, of which I am one, are not the problem here.  Never have been.  Never will be.  

Denial is a magnificent river, but it is not a magnificent state of mind, Fuzzle.  Your defense of your 2nd amendment rights has led to a proliferation of guns unseen in human history and is resulting in horrific crimes that are occurring at increasing rates with no end in sight.  

Indirect responsibility might not be criminal, but it certainly enables them.

Here's a little tip:  Florida's schools are "gun-free zones".  Even the police that serve as "resource officers" at schools do not have firearms.  And, yes, the shooter knew that.  Indeed, every mass shooter in America felt confident that they would be firing into an unarmed populace.

I say give the resource officer their guns back.  Train teachers that wish to learn tactical shooting and allow them to carry open, and serve as limited law enforcement officers.  These attacks are planned, and the perpetrators plan on unarmed victims.  

The responsibility here does not fall on lawful gun owners.  Not in the least.
Yeah there's no possible negative repercussions to allowing multiple guns into a school.  What happens when Mrs. Johnson the art teacher kills a kid cuz she thought he was "coming for my gun"?  How about when the kid does actually go for her gun and gets ahold of it?  Because maybe he's pissed off and hormonal cuz his gf broke up with him and then he got in trouble for a fight and now there are multiple guns in easy range?

Your idea takes a new kind of stupid and is evidence you lack the ability to think things through fully and completely... including the risk of having lots of guns in schools... and this should probably disqualify you from owning them, period.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »

As a start to gun control in this country, we need to ban any and all assault (most auto and semi-auto) weapons to people in the general public. There is absolutely no reason for people to own these weapons. They are designed for one thing and one thing only .... to kill people en masse.

Its not that you get one and want to use it. You'd rather have one in the event you really need one than really needing one and be left to your own devices

I can absolutely say that I would never want to own a gun of any sort. Like countless other people, I've struggled with depression and anxiety in the past, and there have been days that I honestly believe the only reason I'm here right now is that I didn't have an easy method to do something very stupid. I'm absolutely terrified to think about what I would have done if there'd been a gun nearby.

When you have a device whose sole purpose is to destroy things, you're much more likely to hurt yourself or someone you love, even if by accident. Even in a person with no history of mental illness, a temporary episode could prove devastating.

Should people have the right to own firearms? If it's there in the constitution, I suppose so. But can we PLEASE stop enforcing this idea of a hero fantasy? Or that everyone's going to need one at some point in their lives? It's just totally disingenuous.

You may not ever need one, but what if you do? Theres no telling if or when youll face somebody who wants to hurt or kill you who's bigger and stronger than you. Wouldnt you want a way to level the playing field and give yourself a chance to live?
GOD.. for F**K'S SAKE.. NO!  THis is NOT going to happen!  The chances of you buying a gun and then killing someone in cold blood or even accidentally are SO MUCH higher.  Statistics is a bitch, I know... but it's a bitch that wont go away.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »

It usually takes the police minutes to arrive unless you live next to the police station. During a home invasion with a violent burglar every second counts. If you live far from the police (and often times a burglar is familiar with the area and knows how far the station is) itll be too late. For example, I live in a small town with a small police force. There are never more than 2 cops patrolling the road and the station is a 10 minute drive without traffic. Put yourself in this scenario. There's a hungry lion and you can either be a porcupine or a sloth. Both are slow but one is armed and one is not. The lion will go for the defenseless prey rather than the one he knows could hurt him

Have you ever been present in a burglary? Do you want a bit of a personal experience? They burglarized me three times, once I walked in in the middle of it, once I missed it, likely, by a few minutes. Trust me, it has nothing in common with your wet hero fantasies. One thing you definitely do not want during a burglary is to do anything that theatens the burglar. He has an advantage over you: he is expecting trouble, you do not. This is true even in the middle of the day, when almost all burglaries happen (of course, the burglars, as a rule, do not want to find you at home). It would be even more so in the middle of the night, when you are asleep and he is awake. The best you can do if you realize he is there is to follow his instructions - that is, of course, if you want to actually live to tell the tale, I am not talking about a suicide by a burglar.

It is a scary thing: somebody will get hurt if they take what you are writing here seriously.

It hasnt happened to me personally but it did happen to a friend who was scarred for years because of it. She was afraid to be home alone and was constantly paranoid because two guys broke into her house. She would have no chance against two guys since she's 5'2 105lbs. She has a gun now which gives her the chance to fight off the burglar who in 99.99% of the time would be bigger than her
chances are she'll shoot herself intentionally before she shoots anyone else.  Beyond that she'll shoot someone else accidentally... or, in a rare case, on purpose... but not cuz they threatened her realistically.  She needs a therapist and some xanax... not a gun.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »

Semi-automatic rifles are no more dangerous than semi-automatic hand guns, they are more likely to jam and are less concealable.

For 9 years the deadliest mass shooting in modern history, Virginia Tech, was executed with the use of a 9mm handgun and a .22 handgun. Handguns were also exclusively used in Kileen, Texas (1991) 23 killed; Edmond, Oklahoma (1985) 15 killed; Binghamton, New York (2009) 14 killed; and Fort Hood (2009) 13 killed.

Banning semi- automatic rifles specifically doesn't make any sense.

Yes, shootings happen because of other guns too. But please explain to me why would anyone need a semi-automatic rifle? Yes, gun control should focus on other issues too, but semi-automatic rifles should definitely be banned. There's just no single legit reason to keeping them so available.

Hunting.

If you're going to ban rifles you might as well ban handguns too because they're equally efficient at mass killings. Las Vegas is the only incident I can think of where the use of rifles made a difference.

Haha

Anyone who hunts with a semi-automatic weapon is a loser. Seriously, how bad at hunting do you need to be to have a weapon that assists you in any way? If you need one of those to hunt, you shouldn't be allowed to go hunting because you're already probably a tremendous failure at it.

Please tell us what experience you have with hunting, especially for large game that can actually kill you if you aren't careful.

This is a sentiment I've heard from pretty much every recreational and/or subsistence hunter who I have ever engaged with on the subject. As for me, I have zero interest in ever hunting so I actually have no dog in this fight (and am agnostic on certain types of gun control). I'm just here to rustle your jimmies. If you guys want to go hunting with an semi, be my guest, just know there are whole communities of sportsmen who think you're a weenie.

Kids these days with their fancy technology, right? I for one never use these fancy 'bicycles' or 'cars' to get places. As for hunting, I don't know why anyone should need anything more than a crudely sharpened stick - if you're not chasing game dozens of kilometers across the savanna to tire it out before the kill, you shouldn't be hunting at all!

My man. Glad we're on the same page here 👌

Funny that you seem to be speaking about entire communities that you are not a part of, and only know a small handful of folks who are a part of them.

Uneducated, delusional lefties who know nothing about guns and hunting really have no business speaking about it. Take your Clozapine and move on.

I love how hunting becomes the major, fateful issue, rather than dozens of school shootings every year. But oh, sure, be comfortable with your hunting... the murdered teenagers can wait.

These guns are used A LOT more in hunting and recreational shooting and not harming people than they are in mass shootings. Clearly the gun isn't the issue.
Not all guns are used in deadly school shootings, but all deadly school shootings use guns.  Specifically, certain kinds of guns.

I'm comfortable with forcing indigenous peoples and others to use more primitive guns to hunt with very strict regulations and quotas for these more dangerous guns.  Like each native community gets so many permits and the guns are doled out when someone is going hunting in places with high polar bear populations, for example.  Then the gun is returned, or you are arrested.

The hunting argument is no longer valid, because we found a workaround. 

So really what is your argument here?  Because I doubt what I said above has convinced you to change your mind.  Instead, I think you just want to be able to own and shoot these guns and deflect responsibility and blame for deadly school shootings anywhere else so you don't lose that convenient access to your hobby.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 03:58:59 PM »

I think it's also time that there really was a boys/men's movement.  Do not conflate this with the feminist movement... but a movement that confronts and redefines masculinity by, of, and for men and boys.  This touches on societal problems like sexual identity, bullying, expectations, mens' roles in family, work, and the community at large.

Men are lost.  Toxic masculinity is killing people and breaking even more.  

We also need to address poverty, social mobility, financial security... things that when addressed properly, lead to much less desperation which leads to much fewer acts of desperation.  Coupled with a much bigger focus on mental health, I think it would greatly reduce the desire to harm others.

That with good gun control should solve the problem.  That's so much easier said that done.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »

I think it's also time that there really was a boys/men's movement.  Do not conflate this with the feminist movement.

If it's not hand in glove with the feminist movement in having shared falues then it's against it. And that's ultimately toxic.
Cooperation and shared values are a given... but I get a little nervous with "if you're not with us (whatever that means), then you're against us."  That's what is so toxic.  

Who decides who is with or against the feminist movement?  Who decides what the values of feminism are that a men's movement has to share?  The only part that seems straight forward is cooperation.  But the task is to bring men and boys into the 21st century and redefine masculinity into a positive force in society.  This will necessarily not be a woman-led effort.  Any more than white people will lead blacks to equality or men will lead women to equality.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 12:47:24 AM »

Honestly my gut says he hangs himself in his cell before Easter.
But why would he do that?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies