Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 149942 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 01:09:18 AM »

One of my friends tried to ambush me into a blind date with a Warren campaign volunteer. Sad!

So you doubted you ability to convince em to switch to Biden?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »

Put the Mickey Mouse ears on the stuffed cat.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2020, 08:34:31 PM »

Well, my sister and her fiancee have just found out that they're pregnant and are completely unprepared.

Hopefully your sister and her future wife both have relatively easy pregnancies.

(I assumed you didn't make the doubled stupidity of using fiancee when you meant fiance as well as implying that a male suffers as much inconvenience or trouble as his mate.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 06:01:09 PM »

Probably because too many people on this forum are on it right now.

More likely it's just Speculum being Speculum.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 07:33:29 AM »

I feel like I have become much more right-wing in terms of rhetoric and attitudes (even if my actual issue positions have not changed) since the coronavirus started due to my anger at the idea of mass quarantines (which I opposed long before it was somewhat mainstream to do so).  It's as if my moderation in tone over the last few years has been completely undone by the two months of this.

In the event of a zombie apocalypse you'd be demanding to go outside and see if you can defeat them in the marketplace of ideas.

The zombie apocalypse is why we need the 2nd amendment as well as the 1st. 😸
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »

I feel like I have become much more right-wing in terms of rhetoric and attitudes (even if my actual issue positions have not changed) since the coronavirus started due to my anger at the idea of mass quarantines (which I opposed long before it was somewhat mainstream to do so).  It's as if my moderation in tone over the last few years has been completely undone by the two months of this.

In the event of a zombie apocalypse you'd be demanding to go outside and see if you can defeat them in the marketplace of ideas.
And you'd be on here saying "Zombie Lives Matter!"

And Romney would be saying "Zombies are people too!"
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »

On a slightly unrelated note, I will say my whole experience with the system has moved me towards supporting single-payer instead of a convoluted multi-payer system and definitely the mishmash of a system we have now.  Although technically Medicaid is single-payer, it just goes to show how little the government values mental healthcare in addition to physical healthcare.  But in fact mental health is just as important as physical.  When a person has cancer or two limbs missing, we (rightly) treat that person as someone in need.  When they suffer from clinical depression, they're either "having a bad day" or "making it up".  Or worse yet, they're "crazy".  Society (and the government) have a long way to go on accepting mental illness and not stigmatizing the people who live with it.

Scott, I'm addressing only the political and economic implications of what you wrote because those are the only areas I consider myself competent to comment on.

First off, all single payer would accomplish is cause either everyone in your situation receiving the insurance coverage you are seeking or no one receiving it, and it would be likelier to be the latter for a number of reasons, some of which you addressed.

Second, from a public policy point of view, what would separate what you seek to have be covered from a generic funding of all forms of body modification because the body doesn't match one's own self-conception of what it should be? Keep in mind, that for both political and economic reasons, the difference between your situation and more traditional health coverage is that your body is functioning, it just isn't functioning for you, so that is going to make getting government to pay for it more difficult. Sadly, the government isn't infinitely wealthy, so it is going to focus first on problems with a more generic application and it doesn't even always do that adequately.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 08:49:40 AM »

Everything that is happening right now is bad.

Oh, I don't know about that. Between a private company putting two men in space and millions of people suddenly realizing that they might need an assault rifle or two to protect their property, this has been a fairly good week for libertarians.

A private company doing it to fulfill a government contract.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 10:54:51 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2020, 06:45:42 PM by True RINO »

I recently had to update to a strong password on an account, so I included the words Atlas and update in the new password.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2020, 05:46:45 PM »

So I could vote on the two idiotic advisory questions on the Republican primary ballot today, I held my nose and voted in the Republican primary. (I doubted my vote would affect who is the ballot in November so I had no reason to choose a primary on that basis.)

The first was "Should voters have the right to register for a party?"

I voted no, because if the Republicans want to hold a closed primary, they can damn well pay for it themselves. Besides, given all the anecdotes we get each election cycle here of people in closed primary states who switched registrations to vote in the other party's primary, there's no reason to think registration will keep out people voting mischievously.

The second was  "Should candidates only be listed on only one ballot line for one party?"

Again, I voted no, as I support allowing fusion voting. Besides, I can't think of a single race where even based on the raw vote, the option to fuse has affected the outcome here.  Besides, if you get rid of it, it won't lead to a fractured Democratic vote as Republicans might hope. (The minor parties here that try to use fusion, almost inevitably select a Democrat and sometimes get kicked off the ballot if they pick one who loses the Democratic primary.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2020, 07:03:27 PM »

Returning my profile here to its usual state. Almost all the races went as I thought they would. Only surprise was in the Democratic primary for county coroner, which on closer inspection wasn't really a surprise if I'd cared enuf about the race to take a close look at it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 04:04:47 PM »

Under the influence of the Chaos Gods, he impulsively set his Warhammer 30K rules and miniatures on fire and has committed to only playing Warhammer 40K in the far future.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2020, 02:36:20 PM »

Well, now that I’m officially moving in tomorrow, my old avatar won’t fit anymore.

Good night, sweet prince (at least until I return to SC in November)
RIP I-SC avatar. You will be missed.

If , or rather IF, as it's a rather big if, the Republicans regain some sanity post-Trump, I could return to being I-SC. But I don't think that even if Trump loses, the Republicans would regain sanity quickly, especially around here, so I'm D-SC for the foreseeable future.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »

Scott,

If it helps you find happiness, great.  As a path for particular people, I think it can work and since you've decided to pursue this path, I hope it works for you, but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't. God won't, tho God will be happy if it does work for you.

Personally, I believe that the idea that religion is supposed to lead to a life of quiet contemplation, it is one of the commonest mistakes that people tend to make, whatever their religion may be.  Peace comes from within, not without. But then what else did you expect a Daoist such as myself to say?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2020, 01:12:06 PM »

Today marks exactly four years and a half my girlfriend and I are a couple. Purple heart

You definitely are not from a place that celebrates April Fools Day if you began a relationship on April 1.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »

Today marks exactly four years and a half my girlfriend and I are a couple. Purple heart

You definitely are not from a place that celebrates April Fools Day if you began a relationship on April 1.

We do April Fools Day. It was just a coincidence we became a couple on April 1. A coincidence which many, many people have joked upon as you may imagine.

Or maybe your girlfriend enjoys brick jokes.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2020, 08:16:00 AM »

I never bothered with going Greek, as at least at my school, it seemed like the number one was I Tappa Kegga, and that didn't appeal to me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies